Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

cat doter posted:

What's the best violin/strings VSTi that I can get without paying anything because I literally have no money? I've been using DSK stuff and virtuoso has a lot of great sounds but I think the strings are lacking. I've tried a bunch of other stuff but they all sound like they were made in 1998 and I can help the sound a bit with some nice reverbs but it still sounds kinda crappy and cheap. I've been working on remixing some old video game music to sound modern but I find it kinda funny how a lot of my string sounds actually sound really similar to stuff I'm trying to improve.

I was planning on adding in one violin at a time to the track and panning them out like an orchestra layout and making very very slight pitch modulation on each violin to make it sound more realistic but reaper just keeps crashing. Either the DSK VSTis are unstable or I dunno what, my PC is more than powerful enough to push that much stuff.

Total Composure Orchestra was just released for a KVR contest.

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/the-total-composure-orchestra-by-total-composure

It's a full symphonic library composed only of public domain samples, and it's pretty drat good for a free package. It works with Kontakt, but I don't know whether it works with the free Kontakt Player or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Well hopefully it does, because the free version is all I have. Thanks though, maybe samples, even free ones, will work out much better than some lovely synth sound alikes.

Speaking of Kontakt, I have the free version but while I'm using it sometimes whatever I have docked becomes disabled/blacked out with a button that says demo expired. It's not the demo version, but the free version, and I have to restart reaper to fix it. I've gotten around it a lot by enabling whatever instrument/settings I like and rendering out that track so I don't have to worry about kontakt randomly disabling it, but obviously this is far from ideal. Anyone know what the deal is?

edit: welp, doesn't work with free kontakt. Oh well.

cat doter fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 18, 2013

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
I just bought Madrona Labs Aalto and Jesus Joseph Mary Donkey Balls. It is so beautiful. I making synth and guitar heavy stuff but mainly synth with this drummer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU7F20jEwq4

I can not wait to bring Aalto into the mix I love the demo dearly. I finally got the funds and wham bam thanks dudes. Get this puppy if you are on the fence.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Yeah Aalto is the poo poo. They aren't kidding about the CPU usage though - if you use it, be prepared to bounce whatever down before moving on. You could quite happily compose entire bleep bloopy songs on it. I got it when it was half price iirc when the dollar was weak, so it's probably the best £30 I've spent on something music-related.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

cat doter posted:

Speaking of Kontakt, I have the free version but while I'm using it sometimes whatever I have docked becomes disabled/blacked out with a button that says demo expired. It's not the demo version, but the free version, and I have to restart reaper to fix it. I've gotten around it a lot by enabling whatever instrument/settings I like and rendering out that track so I don't have to worry about kontakt randomly disabling it, but obviously this is far from ideal. Anyone know what the deal is?
I believe it's Kontakt Player's unlicensed third-party limitation kicking in.

Kontakt Player is only intended to support Native Instruments-licensed Kontakt Instruments. Any third-party instrument that isn't "Powered by Kontakt" certified is subject to demo restrictions.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Run Dodo Run posted:

Yeah Aalto is the poo poo. They aren't kidding about the CPU usage though - if you use it, be prepared to bounce whatever down before moving on. You could quite happily compose entire bleep bloopy songs on it. I got it when it was half price iirc when the dollar was weak, so it's probably the best £30 I've spent on something music-related.
Fellow Aalto buddy chiming in. I think compared to many here I try to limit my overall selection of VSTs I use (but I still use a lot, especially if you consider things like Reaktor, Bidule, Usine, etc. as VSTs; I (perhaps unfairly) think of them somewhat differently), but Aalto is great. One of the few "solo" VSTs I've bought specifically for what it is. Don't forget about PatchDump, your one stop shop for Aalto patch sharing.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Radiapathy posted:

I believe it's Kontakt Player's unlicensed third-party limitation kicking in.

Kontakt Player is only intended to support Native Instruments-licensed Kontakt Instruments. Any third-party instrument that isn't "Powered by Kontakt" certified is subject to demo restrictions.

It can't be that, I'm not using any 3rd party plugins with it. It just does it randomly.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

In order for an instrument to be fully compatible with the free Kontakt player, the company has to pay for a license from NI. That's why so many random instruments only work in the full version. In other words it's pretty loving stupid.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
I must give love to the patch dump reminder. I have downloaded the entire internet as far as Aalto patches go. I am about to fire up the little guy and start going thru a few dozen.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

muckswirler posted:

In order for an instrument to be fully compatible with the free Kontakt player, the company has to pay for a license from NI. That's why so many random instruments only work in the full version. In other words it's pretty loving stupid.

Well that makes sense, but I'm just using the plugins that came with the free version, the free instrument pack or whatever. Shouldn't they just work?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Sorry for the double post, but I've got another dumb VSTi problem. I'm using DSK virtuoso and I've run into a problem getting it to output correctly. All my other VST/is I've set up work fine, but virtuoso doesn't output. I set the midi channel to whatever track the VSTi is sitting in and that only works sometimes, other times I set the midi channel to all and that mostly works, but now virtuso has stopped working entirely and no matter what setting I change they just don't output. I should note virtuoso stopped working after a crash.

I'm using the latest version of x64 reaper if that helps.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

jesus christ this guy

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Radiapathy posted:

jesus christ this guy

Oh good, I'm looking forward to Waves' new line of plugins with interfaces that look like unicorn vomit.

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

Radiapathy posted:

jesus christ this guy

He's so far up his own rear end, but the iPad sampler app is way good.

breaks
May 12, 2001

I don't blame him one bit, if I could get people to pay me money and give me free gear in exchange for some cheeseball photos and videos and a few choice quotes, I'd be doing it too.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Rudess has done a ton to promote iOS (and by extension, portable computing in general) as a viable music making platform. Nothing wrong with getting paid in the process.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

breaks posted:

I don't blame him one bit, if I could get people to pay me money and give me free gear in exchange for some cheeseball photos and videos and a few choice quotes, I'd be doing it too.

h_double posted:

Rudess has done a ton to promote iOS (and by extension, portable computing in general) as a viable music making platform. Nothing wrong with getting paid in the process.

Look, I'm not gonna begrudge the guy a paycheck. If I'm in his position and Waves is throwin' money at me, you can bet I'd be out there doin' a little tap dance, too.

But when I think about this from the advertiser's perspective it doesn't make much sense. I mean, this guy will endorse anything. It's just a matter of weeks before his face is plastered all over DrDrum.com. The concepts of diminishing returns and saturation definitely apply to celebrity endorsements- and "keyboardist for Dream Theater" is already kind of thin soup as far as that goes. Out of all the hundreds of "how do I sound like X" threads I've seen on music boards, never once has X been Jordan Rudess.

As it relates to the main topic, when Waves released their new Element synth and I saw this...

...I was just like, "Oh man, this thing is gonna be GARBAGE." It was only after some other guys took one for the team and checked it out that I bothered with the thing (it's actually a pretty good VA VSTi). But my point is, I ended up checking out Element despite the Rudess endorsement, not because of it. And that seems pretty counter-productive from a marketing point of view. But sure, if he can make a living putting his face in ads, more power to him. He's just not doing his patrons any favors.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Another NI teaser video for another mystery product. Could it possibly be... Battery 4?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1_94H75zkU

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Holy crap, a German music site is giving away a free "lite" version of Aalto, you just have to create a free account on their site (it looks like there are a couple of other nice free promo plugs too).

Aalto is an amazing sounding synth, you should absolutely get on this if you don't already have the full version.

http://www.ohdratdigital.com/free-stuff/free-software/free-synth-madronna-labs-aalto-solo/

Nermal.
Mar 16, 2003

Hello!

Radiapathy posted:

Another NI teaser video for another mystery product. Could it possibly be... Battery 4?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1_94H75zkU

I hope so because I've had so many problems with Battery 3 I stopped using it.

Native Instruments, for me, has been like cars from Jaguar throughout history. Beautiful, tons of features, pricey, arguably one of the top of the line... but when you start the thing up, you really have no idea what's going to work and what isn't that day.

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

h_double posted:

Holy crap, a German music site is giving away a free "lite" version of Aalto, you just have to create a free account on their site (it looks like there are a couple of other nice free promo plugs too).

Aalto is an amazing sounding synth, you should absolutely get on this if you don't already have the full version.

http://www.ohdratdigital.com/free-stuff/free-software/free-synth-madronna-labs-aalto-solo/

Thanks a ton for this link, definitely checking this out.

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)

Nermal. posted:

I hope so because I've had so many problems with Battery 3 I stopped using it.

Native Instruments, for me, has been like cars from Jaguar throughout history. Beautiful, tons of features, pricey, arguably one of the top of the line... but when you start the thing up, you really have no idea what's going to work and what isn't that day.

Interesting. I have not had that experience at all and have nothing but good things to say about Battery 3 and NI products in general. Do you use mac or PC, out of curiosity?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HTML5 posted:

Thanks a ton for this link, definitely checking this out.

It's a seriously good-sounding synth. Take note of the thing about not being able to register if you do the google translation in Chrome, though. Chrome users have to fill the form out in German.

Nermal.
Mar 16, 2003

Hello!

The Mystery Date posted:

Interesting. I have not had that experience at all and have nothing but good things to say about Battery 3 and NI products in general. Do you use mac or PC, out of curiosity?

Mac. Logic Pro 9.

Battery likes to hit me with the "where did the sound go?" error. It's been documented pretty extensively on their forums.

Kontakt and Absynth crash just enough to shake my confidence in them.

FM8, Massive, and the rest of the crew work fine, but those are the apps that I use the least, mostly because I have plugins from other companies that (in my opinion) do a better job at those types of things.

I REALLY want to get a rock solid version of Battery though. There is nothing like that program for manipulating drum samples.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I wonder if the problem might be an interaction with Logic?

I've used Battery (AU version) for many hundreds of hours in Live without a hitch. I'm running MacOS 10.6.8.

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)
I run Battery in Windows 7 through Studio One, and h_double runs it on a Mac without any problems, so it would make sense that it's likely a Logic issue. Unfortunately, that doesn't give you any sort of fix, since if your like me someone would have to pry your DAW from your cold dead hands before you switch to anything else.

Nermal.
Mar 16, 2003

Hello!

The Mystery Date posted:

I run Battery in Windows 7 through Studio One, and h_double runs it on a Mac without any problems, so it would make sense that it's likely a Logic issue. Unfortunately, that doesn't give you any sort of fix, since if your like me someone would have to pry your DAW from your cold dead hands before you switch to anything else.

You sir are correct.

DAW selecting has always fascinated me. I spent the better part of a decade on strictly hardware, and when I decided it was time to join the softside, I bought an APC40 and Ableton and spent months with them. Never felt good, never had any real fun.

Buddy lets me borrow a laptop with Logic Pro 9 and five minutes after I boot it up a choir starts playing and the room starts glowing like when Harry Potter picked his goddamn wand. I have never had a better time making music. You just never know.

The APC40 has been converted into a Resolume trigger and I haven't touched Live in months. I wanted to love it.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Nermal. posted:

The APC40 has been converted into a Resolume trigger and I haven't touched Live in months. I wanted to love it.
I kind of fear (if fear is the right word [it isn't]) this is going to be me too, given my experience with Live so far, but I'm still trying to give it a solid go.

Having it crash on me three times in a single event (my friend's wedding reception) was less than confidence building, though. I'm willing to buy a plausible story about how I could have reduced the risk of (how I think) it crashed each time (e.g. should have converted all my tracks & samples to WAV(?)), but still.

When playing around and jamming on an idea, I still feel more comfortable in things like REAPER for multi-track editing and mixing, and in software I think of as more immediately "instrumental" to me (this is, of course, wildly subjective), like AudioMulch, Renoise, Komplete, Maschine, etc. I don't exactly know why. I feel like I still haven't had the profound "a ha!" moment with Live yet...

Edit: Also, what's up Resolume buddy? I was actually thinking of buying some goon's APC40 for strictly Resolume purposes, but couldn't really justify it to myself just yet. What are you up to in Resolume?

minidracula fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 9, 2013

Nermal.
Mar 16, 2003

Hello!

mnd posted:

Edit: Also, what's up Resolume buddy? I was actually thinking of buying some goon's APC40 for strictly Resolume purposes, but couldn't really justify it to myself just yet. What are you up to in Resolume?

PROJECTION MAPPING. It's so much fun assigning beat matched videos to various surfaces in my house. Prepping a show.

I would recommend getting that used APC40. There's unbelievably intuitive templates for Resolume and even a way to get the LEDs to cooperate as well (although it takes a few hours to set that up but then you don't have to do it ever again). I've got this template:

http://youtu.be/r38V-pJhOYg

Better than spending $800 on the React, which I've heard is lovely anyway.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

The cool thing about Live is the warp function. There are so many schemes and adjustments available that it makes resampling really really easy. Learn how to use warp markers and it'll be hard to live without it. I spend half of my time in Live playing with warp markers and music just falls out.

Play things live, resample them and play them again until you like what you hear. That being said, Maschine is just icing on the cake.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Everyone's different, I guess. I bought Live more or less on a whim, because I wanted to get a live gig sorted out. three and a half years later, still no gig :) but i pretty much instantly fell in love with the way you compose in it and it became my new main sequencer...

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Nermal. posted:

You sir are correct.

DAW selecting has always fascinated me. I spent the better part of a decade on strictly hardware, and when I decided it was time to join the softside, I bought an APC40 and Ableton and spent months with them. Never felt good, never had any real fun.

Buddy lets me borrow a laptop with Logic Pro 9 and five minutes after I boot it up a choir starts playing and the room starts glowing like when Harry Potter picked his goddamn wand. I have never had a better time making music. You just never know.

I've had issues getting the apc to play nicely with resolume. I can map the knobs, but the clip launch grid doesnt seem to do anything, and I can't seem to access more than one bank of controls for the knobs. Any general tips?

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.

mnd posted:

I kind of fear (if fear is the right word [it isn't]) this is going to be me too, given my experience with Live so far, but I'm still trying to give it a solid go.

Having it crash on me three times in a single event (my friend's wedding reception) was less than confidence building, though. I'm willing to buy a plausible story about how I could have reduced the risk of (how I think) it crashed each time (e.g. should have converted all my tracks & samples to WAV(?)), but still.

When playing around and jamming on an idea, I still feel more comfortable in things like REAPER for multi-track editing and mixing, and in software I think of as more immediately "instrumental" to me (this is, of course, wildly subjective), like AudioMulch, Renoise, Komplete, Maschine, etc. I don't exactly know why. I feel like I still haven't had the profound "a ha!" moment with Live yet...

I also use AudioMulch and Renoise, as well as Numerology, Klee and Max/MSP. I find all of these tools to be more immediately instrumental than Live. The thing is that once I want to make a meta instrument out of all of these things, or the audio/midi output of them, Live is the simplest and most stable tool to do this(Live doesn't crash on me). Then, once I've got such a set created with output from all of my other more inspiring instruments, I want to play the Live set with external controllers. Live is the only environment I know of that doesn't force me to sit around and map MIDI controllers to those functions for hours. Sure Renoise has its tools section, but none of those tools cover most of the functions of the program itself, like Live controllers do(the APC40 being a perfect example, and Push to a higher extent).

muckswirler also made a great point. The warping engine/markers allow you to take the audio out of other projects and make it work with audio from another half finished project that might fit well with something else you've got. In no time, you are combining audio from your various more instrumental programs, playing with Live in your home studio and dancing around your room because you don't have to sit in front of the computer/mouse/keyboard anymore to play live in Live. In the end, Live becomes an instrument in and of itself, and a very potent one at that.

renderful fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 10, 2013

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Nermal. posted:

PROJECTION MAPPING. It's so much fun assigning beat matched videos to various surfaces in my house. Prepping a show.

I would recommend getting that used APC40. There's unbelievably intuitive templates for Resolume and even a way to get the LEDs to cooperate as well (although it takes a few hours to set that up but then you don't have to do it ever again). I've got this template:

http://youtu.be/r38V-pJhOYg

Better than spending $800 on the React, which I've heard is lovely anyway.
I don't mean to turn this into visualist/VJ chat, but what projector(s) are you rocking?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
DontCrack is doing a group buy thing for their Plug and Mix series. It starts at $199 for everything, but if enough people sign on it goes down to $99.

http://www.dontcrack.com/news/2013/03/pm-group-buy-promo/

quote:

As you know, R&D (Research & Development) is critical for a growing company and we have decided to get you involved. And how are going to do that, you might ask ? Well, we simply want to give our customers the MOST we can for their money, and generate income for R&D on our side. We do have some very exciting projects that we want to bring to the market quickly.

To achieve that, we are today launching the most ambitious Group-Buy ever organised at DontCrack. The idea is to gather together 10 000 users that will pull our V.I.P. Bundle price down to ONLY $99 !!! As the bundle contains 40 plug-ins, that drives the cost of each plug-in down to ONLY $2.48. Isn’t that the craziest “No Brainer” you’ve ever seen in the audio industry ?

Our Group-Buy is a risk FREE operation for users as it starts at $199 (60% Discount) with a goal aiming 80% Discount ($99)…

When we do reach 10 000 users that will pay ONLY $99 for the total P&M bundle, that is almost $1 000 000 of income that we will directly invest in the development of future products. It is therefore YOU that are investing in R&D by simply buying our products at a total “No Brainer” cost !

By spreading the word around the web in dedicated forum boards, posting great testimonials on our Facebook page, contacting your “audio” buddies, you will help get the “Group-Buy” gauge to climb up to 10 000 users and the price will drop to $99 bucks…

In order to make our Group-Buy Promotion INSTANTLY attractive to all participants, we decided to start the pricing off at $199!! and it drops by $10 every time another 1000 potential buyers join the tribe. So there is no gamble, as soon as you join you’re in heading towards the $99 price. We know we will get the 10,000 buyers

Oh and BTW, we will offer a grace period refund to all previous customers that purchased a V.I.P. Bundle after December 1, 2012 that request it. We will also offer upgrades for those that purchased individual plug-in(s) during the same grace period for them to take advantage of the final group-buy price. Isn’t that cool ?

And as always, all future upgrades will be FREE of charge. That has been our policy since day one.

Our company aims at being close to our clients, working directly with them, we know we can count on our users as they have proved to be so very enthusiastic and supportive since the beginning of the client-driven P&M adventure…

We need YOU more than ever, so please take this opportunity to participate by joining the Group-Buy TODAY and get ALL of your friends to take advantage of this once in a lifetime deal.

YOU are our only investor and we’ll keep that in mind as we create great new products with you.

And to top it all off, every group buy participants will receive a “investors certificate” that entitles them to 50% off all future Plug & Mix product releases.

Does anyone know if their stuff is any good? $99 for 40 plugins is very attractive if they don't suck.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Their forums don't have many threads even viewed 10k times in 2 years. All their plug-ins look like reskins of each other and they have one for everything instead of seeming to have a niche they're good at. It also seems that they released all of them at one time for the introductory price of $500 in 2011 when no one had ever heard of them, it's not a collection of favorite free plug-ins that slowly became a paid bundle by popularity.

Seems highly dubious to me. The only reviews I can find easily are from a gearslutz thread that looks like it was started by someone from DC in 2011.

In SoundToys news, they're finally offering 64-bit beta versions of their plug-ins to their bundle customers for testing. I think there were a few people holding out on Decapitator or Echoboy because they weren't 64-bit. Or maybe it was only Agreed...

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Trig Discipline posted:

DontCrack is doing a group buy thing for their Plug and Mix series. It starts at $199 for everything, but if enough people sign on it goes down to $99.

http://www.dontcrack.com/news/2013/03/pm-group-buy-promo/

Does anyone know if their stuff is any good? $99 for 40 plugins is very attractive if they don't suck.

You can get one free allready http://www.plugandmix.com/nfr/ the installer has all the plugins to test if you like. I got the retro EQ and I've liked and used it a bit.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

I'm a fan of DC's plugins, I use their compressors/EQs quite heavily.

Plus they add new plugins they come out with, I got a handful of amp modelers when they released them which is nice. Never got around to using them because I use Guitar Rig, but hey, thought that counts.

I mean, they're not Waves level, and as wixard pointed out it's kind of a jack of all trades scenario, but you could do a lot worse.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

W424 posted:

You can get one free allready http://www.plugandmix.com/nfr/ the installer has all the plugins to test if you like. I got the retro EQ and I've liked and used it a bit.

Has anyone got this to work yet?

Edit: That deal is over, ended on March 1st.

Hollis Brownsound fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Has anyone here played with 2caudio's Aether? I'm not in the market for actually spending money right now so it'd be a ways off for me, but I'm looking for some really good reverb and I'm finding guitar rig pretty limited and Live's built-in reverb isn't that great.