Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Spent about half an hour playing with Kaivo. It sounds loving fantastic. Really natural and expressive. It does use a ton of CPU though. I've been pulling most patches down to 1 or 2 voices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone have any experience with the Muse Receptor? Someone is offering me one loaded with Komplete 5 in a trade. Also, I have NEVER had a product that uses the iLok or whatever the gently caress licensing dongle. What are the hazards of buying it used?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Just a heads-up, today I got an email from XLN Audio. They're having a sale on the upgrade from Addictive Drums to Addictive Drums 2. Use the code HOLIDAY2014 and it'll cut the $80 down to $40. They're also offering 50% off the price of AD packs, using the same promo code. This is only valid until Dec 14th.

http://www.xlnaudio.com/

Great for me, since I loving love AD. Can't wait to get home to try it.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Aaaw I have been waiting months hoping to pick up FabFilter Pro-Q2 on sale and only bundles have a discount way to dash my hopes fabfilter :( I would love either pro-q or audiodmg equality but they are just a bit out of my price-range, I understand the logic of not offering discounts as small companies to avoid devaluing your product, but gently caress I want a christmas miracle.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Hey everybody, NI is giving away their new Replika delay effect for Christmas.

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/specials/happy-holidays-2014/

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

Trig Discipline posted:

Hey everybody, NI is giving away their new Replika delay effect for Christmas.

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/specials/happy-holidays-2014/

I got this. It's pretty dope and worth downloading.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
I am looking for any Native Instruments Komplete-line products released between 2004-2008 that include 32-bit Windows EXE or VST plugin files. (So, not looking for Reaktor/Kontakt/Kore instruments or Traktor/Maschine stuff.)

Any of the following would probably do:
  • Absynth 2-4
  • Akoustik Piano
  • Battery 1-2
  • B4 Organ 1-2
  • Elektrik Piano
  • FM7
  • Guitar Rig 2-3
  • Intakt
  • Kompakt
  • Kontakt 1-3
  • Spektral Delay
  • Reaktor 4
  • Vokator

I need the install keys to be unregistered from your NI account, and will also need the installers, since NI doesn't make things downloadable until you already have the product installed/registered in Service Center.

The licenses also can't be update/upgrade keys, or I wouldn't be able to activate them.

I'm also interested in full (unregistered) Komplete bundles (Komplete 2-5). Those will require shipping/physical media, etc.

Put those ancient NI licenses to good use and contact me with your products/prices. Thanks!

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

So I bought Toneboosters Track Essentials pack (http://www.toneboosters.com/trackessentials) today, after having used the free versions of the bitcrusher (time machine) and saturator (ferox) for pretty much my entire producing career.

For about $30 Australian, I would have payed it just for nicer interfaces for the two freebies, but you get eight(!) plugins for the price. I've already started using the comp instead of my old standbys, but without even touching the de-esser, eq, modulation, reverb etc I'd already recommend it. For my money, tb time machine is probably the best bitcrusher out.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

I have developed a free tool that can fix a number of common problems people seem to encounter with Native Instruments products and other VST plugins. Before I formally release it, I'd like to get it in the hands of some experienced Windows Native Instruments users to make sure it works as expected in a wider variety of system configurations than what I've been able to test alone.

The program doesn't make any changes to your settings without your permission, and it gives you a chance to cancel before before performing any big operations. I'm mainly interested in seeing how it does on older operating systems and computers, systems with different language versions of Windows, and with older Native Instruments products (anything earlier than Komplete 6).

So far, I've tested it in the following configurations, with every NI software product released since 2009- all on US English versions of Windows: Windows 8 (64-bit), Windows 7 (32-bit & 64-bit), Windows Vista (32-bit), Windows XP (32-bit).

If you're interested in checking it out, please send me a private message and I'll give you a download link. The installer includes a PDF with full documentation.

Here’s a scaled-down preview of one of the three wizards available in the current version (it looks better full-sized):

Thanks!

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I have a annoying problem with Guitar Rig 5 (as a VST, happens in Cubase 32bit and Live 64bit). Everytime I re-open the plugin it defaults to a init patch and to the root of preset selection, the workaround is to save and resave the preset when editing. Real cool when you have a complex setup and forget to save it. This has been happening aslong as I've used it, none of the updates have fixed this.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009
Camel Audio has died. If you own Camel Phat , Alchemy etc. you should get a back up from them, as they will shut down by mid year.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

0dB posted:

Camel Audio has died. If you own Camel Phat , Alchemy etc. you should get a back up from them, as they will shut down by mid year.

Boo. I'd noticed that I hadn't gotten any email about new soundsets lately, but I've got a lot going on so I didn't think about it.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I've had Alchemy since 2009, really cool synth but I don't think I ever used it on an actual song.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I use Camel Crusher constantly I love it. Sad to see them go

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
So far KVR has blamed everything from EU tax laws to a buyout by u-he to the programmer maybe dying to socialized healthcare to terrorism. Good times.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Nobody has written a 5000 word screed blaming it on pricing plugins over $10 yet? Is it really KvR?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Wait, so what will that mean for Alchemy?

EDIT: I hope it just means that they're sold, and Alchemy will live on forever. It's one of my favourite synths :ohdear:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 8, 2015

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Wizchine posted:

Boo. I'd noticed that I hadn't gotten any email about new soundsets lately, but I've got a lot going on so I didn't think about it.

I was actually planning on getting some of their sound sets in a month or two so this kind of sucks.

Hopefully those sound sets will still be available after the dust settles and if not then at least letting people buy them for the next few months instead of just closing shop would been a hell of a lot better.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Never seen a KVR thread get that long that fast. Fifty pages of garbage, fresh from the mill.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
Anyone have UVI's Biosphere or Xtreme FX suites? I received a gift voucher and those are probably the only two sets that interest me. I already have the Vintage Vault, Sweep Machine, Toy Museum, and Waveframe collections from them (they keep giving me vouchers - combined with all the deals over Christmas I really only paid for a couple of them). I already own most of the main NI software synths and Monark so something like their Electro Suite doesn't really draw me in right away, which is why the FX suite seems like it adds something new as opposed to more of the same.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

WorldWarWonderful posted:

Anyone have UVI's Biosphere or Xtreme FX suites? I received a gift voucher and those are probably the only two sets that interest me. I already have the Vintage Vault, Sweep Machine, Toy Museum, and Waveframe collections from them (they keep giving me vouchers - combined with all the deals over Christmas I really only paid for a couple of them). I already own most of the main NI software synths and Monark so something like their Electro Suite doesn't really draw me in right away, which is why the FX suite seems like it adds something new as opposed to more of the same.
I own 24 out of the 40 products they offer, including all of the synth stuff (minus the "Urban Suite").

Biosphere and Xtreme FX were included with MachFive 3. The FX one is a pass, unless you have a need for airport and kitchen sounds, etc. It's purely just raw field recordings. They're often presented in kits/menus, but if you don't need random sound effects, it's probably not for you.

Biosphere has more usable stuff, and while I haven't confirmed this yet, I have a strong suspicion it's mostly comprised of stuff from other collections like Synths Anthology. A lot of the preset names look familiar to me, but I've mostly worked with Synths Anthology; only did a quick scan of Biosphere when I installed MachFive.

The Electro Suite is kind of cool; I got it on Black Friday, I think? But I've only dorked around with it.

They emailed me a big voucher this morning, but I probably won't be able to use it... I really don't need any more pianos or orchestral stuff. Their organs collection MIGHT be interesting? However they don't HINT at the actual organs used- not even in their "making of" PDF about it!

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

A Winner is Jew posted:

I was actually planning on getting some of their sound sets in a month or two so this kind of sucks.

Hopefully those sound sets will still be available after the dust settles and if not then at least letting people buy them for the next few months instead of just closing shop would been a hell of a lot better.

You'll most likely get them with the next version of Apple Logic.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

0dB posted:

You'll most likely get them with the next version of Apple Logic.

It would be pretty cruel to put Alchemy into a DAW that no one uses.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

W424 posted:

I use Logic :-/

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

I use Logic :-/

:respek: Logic bros 4 lyfe.

What DAW are the cool kids using in 2015? Have we circled back around to trackers yet?

W424
Oct 21, 2010

RandomCheese posted:

:respek: Logic bros 4 lyfe.

What DAW are the cool kids using in 2015? Have we circled back around to trackers yet?

Trackers were coo a while back, cooledit 0.7 for the freshest trap beats, soundforge (4 or earlier) for ambient.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Cubase. i like my DAWs like i like my coffee: old, grey and very linear.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

W424 posted:

You shut your whore mouth! :clint:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I still use Cooledit. I guess technically its Adobe Audition now, and yes Adobe managed to gently caress a lot of things up in there, but in its heart of hearts it is still Cooledit

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Earwicker posted:

I still use Cooledit. I guess technically its Adobe Audition now, and yes Adobe managed to gently caress a lot of things up in there, but in its heart of hearts it is still Cooledit
Hey, anyone else remember when iTunes was actually a 3rd party program called SoundJam MP- and at the time it was the hands-down best way to listen to and manage MP3s on the Mac?

In the years since Apple bought it, it became the worst, least intuitive way to do just about anything on the Mac (or Windows).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Radiapathy posted:

Hey, anyone else remember when iTunes was actually a 3rd party program called SoundJam MP- and at the time it was the hands-down best way to listen to and manage MP3s on the Mac?

In the years since Apple bought it, it became the worst, least intuitive way to do just about anything on the Mac (or Windows).

Before I did sound editing with Reaper and used their Media Explorer/Bin function, I used iTunes for sound effects organization. For a free program, I found it worked well.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Audition is back to decent now since version 4 (CS5.5) and for me up to scratch since 5 (CS6) now that loving clip grouping has returned. Why that got stripped after 1.5 (the rebadged Cooledit), no one knows. It made the multitrack neigh unusable. 2 & 3 were hideous and also crashed at the drop of a hat.

It's pretty stable now and even does per clip vst effects without crashing!

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Is there anything concrete saying Camel was bought at all? I keep seeing this but it just seems like what falls out of KVR after ten thousand angry emoticons

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

BKPR posted:

Is there anything concrete saying Camel was bought at all? I keep seeing this but it just seems like what falls out of KVR after ten thousand angry emoticons
There is literally zero concrete evidence of anything.

Some maniac on Gearslutz pulled some tax information on them in their home country last week. They had apparently been filing stuff so recently that records weren't even in the system yet, so whatever's going on they were moving quickly. The very circumstantial evidence, and the historical evidence of how various software buyouts have happened to the past (there is usually contractual silence from both parties) does seem to make a buyout the most likely theory... but it is 100% a theory, and I think all the noise about Apple being the suitor is a fever dream.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Chris Randall made some thinly veiled tweets basically saying that Apple threw a huge pile of money at them. He is more likely than most of the rest than the internet to know, and probably wouldn't tweet it unless he was pretty certain about it. Still just rumor, though.

I don't think there is any other viable explanation other than them getting bought. We'll find out for sure who it was eventually.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

breaks posted:

Chris Randall made some thinly veiled tweets basically saying that Apple threw a huge pile of money at them. He is more likely than most of the rest than the internet to know, and probably wouldn't tweet it unless he was pretty certain about it. Still just rumor, though.
It would be bittersweet if true. I'm sure the Camel guys would be on cloud 9 though.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Flipperwaldt posted:

Audition is back to decent now since version 4 (CS5.5) and for me up to scratch since 5 (CS6) now that loving clip grouping has returned. Why that got stripped after 1.5 (the rebadged Cooledit), no one knows. It made the multitrack neigh unusable. 2 & 3 were hideous and also crashed at the drop of a hat.

It's pretty stable now and even does per clip vst effects without crashing!

Does it have VSTi support and MIDI again? Because I honestly cannot fathom using (or even releasing) a DAW in tyool 2015 that does not have MIDI. I don't know what the gently caress they're thinking.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Trig Discipline posted:

Does it have VSTi support and MIDI again? Because I honestly cannot fathom using (or even releasing) a DAW in tyool 2015 that does not have MIDI. I don't know what the gently caress they're thinking.
It doesn't. And the answer is that it isn't intended as a DAW as you know it. You make a radio program, what good is midi going to do you? You're mastering a compilation album for a band, what good is midi going to do you? You're fixing up crumbling master tapes from the fifties, who needs the interface to be full of poo poo you're not using? Etc and so on. Even in TV and film, midi is only of use to a composer, not to foley, overdubbing and all that poo poo.

It fills a professional niche. There's a lot of technical work with audio that has nothing to benefit from tools aimed at musicians. The way audio editing is implemented in most DAWs is pretty poor. Comparatively, anyway. Usually sufficient, but not if you want to go to a forensic level the way Audition can. DAWs and specialized audio editors complement each other pretty well and that's why it's not entirely crazy.

I don't know if Adobe's got all that planned like that, but it works out that way, same as it did in 2003 when they bought Cool Edit because it already was an industry standard in several niches. For a lot of their long time users this going back to the roots is a breath of fresh air.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Eh I guess so, but it almost seems wrong to call it by the same term (DAW) as Logic, Reaper, and the like if it's not intended to do the same stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I don't know poo poo about Audition but to be fair Auria on iOS doesn't support MIDI either. They've been talking about doing so for years and supposedly have something for NAMM but who the hell knows.

I've been nerding the gently caress out with Hive, writing a script which I hope will batch convert TAL U-NO-LX patches. Fun times, learning a fuckload about synths in the process.