Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
N6 is fantastic, very easy to use, but can occasionally stomp on your CPU though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

The UI on these things is what's getting me. Maybe it's my inexperience (maybe 2-3 days worth), but all I see when I look at Synth1 is sub det FMoct spd tempo key track amt A D A D S A W A S D A S D. I'm at a total loss. :psypop:

You will have to learn these abbreviations by heart anyway.

Here's a primer: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2974992

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, I think I need Kontakt explained to me, or at least I need my very basic questions answered...

Let's say I want to buy something like Orbit by Wide Blue Sound. Now, I own nothing Kontakt-related. Would this come with the Kontakt player? What are my options if I wanted to 'buy' Kontakt, and what are the feature differences between paid and free Kontakt? I should mention that I'm familiar with the EXS24, even from back in Logic Pro 7, when there was the 'player' in Logic Express, and the 'pro sampler' in Logic Pro. Is that basically the same thing going on here?

I have no idea why I've never really bothered with Kontakt, but I feel like I should have gotten into using it, years ago.

EDIT: Welp, nevermind, this handy feature comparison chart pretty much spells it out.

Anyway, Orbit sounds reallllly nice :allears:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Feb 4, 2016

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Let's say I want to buy something like Orbit by Wide Blue Sound. Now, I own nothing Kontakt-related. Would this come with the Kontakt player?
No. But Kontakt Player can be downloaded for free.

Usually these companies spell out pretty explicitly that you need the full version (if you do). In this case, somewhere at the bottom of the page it says:

"Orbit requires Kontakt or free Kontakt Player 5.5+ to run."

quote:

What are my options if I wanted to 'buy' Kontakt, and what are the feature differences between paid and free Kontakt?
Distinguish rather between Kontakt (full) and Kontakt (player). Kontakt (full) is basically a sampling IDE and authoring tool.

Kontakt player is for playback only; that means you can't create your own sample-based instruments.

quote:

Anyway, Orbit sounds reallllly nice :allears:
If you want to buy Kontakt and Reaktor and say, Massive or something, getting Komplete is cheaper.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Laserjet 4P posted:

If you want to buy Kontakt and Reaktor and say, Massive or something, getting Komplete is cheaper.

You know, I never really looked into this before, and I just did.

:stare: :stare:

Brothers... I have seen the light. I have no idea when I'll be able to, but this right here is definitely my next musical purchase. No question.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
NI loves you for doing this because all the new fancy poo poo they offer each year with Komplete means you're paying them another 200 bucks (or 400 if you have Komplete Ultimate) just for the privilege of having things up to date. It gets worse in the sense that inbetween they're rolling out new stuff which may or may not end up in the next version of Komplete (while Reaktor 6 is a pretty safe bet, some sample libraries will only be in Ultimate) which you also want to have.

That's why I just wait until the new version rolls around, then I wait for the big Summer/Christmas/Black Friday Everything 50% Off Sale and then buy an update, but I agree that's sort of like saying meth isn't that bad because at least you aren't mainlining krokodil into your eyeballs.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 4, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Laserjet 4P posted:

NI loves you for doing this because all the new fancy poo poo they offer each year with Komplete means you're paying them another 200 bucks (or 400 if you have Komplete Ultimate) just for the privilege of having things up to date. It gets worse in the sense that inbetween they're rolling out new stuff which may or may not end up in the next version of Komplete (while Reaktor 6 is a pretty safe bet, some sample libraries will only be in Ultimate) which you also want to have.

That's why I just wait until the new version rolls around, then I wait for the big Summer/Christmas/Black Friday Everything 50% Off Sale and then buy an update, but I agree that's sort of like saying meth isn't that bad because at least you aren't mainlining krokodil into your eyeballs.

I do get what you're saying, but I'm actually fairly proud of myself for being able to resist the incredible urge to spend on newer gear/synths.

I mean, poo poo, I would LOVE Logic Studio X, but so far, 9 is working out perfectly for me, has been for years. If/when I get Komplete, I'll be discovering new sounds in that for years and years.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Laserjet 4P posted:

"Orbit requires Kontakt or free Kontakt Player 5.5+ to run."

Distinguish rather between Kontakt (full) and Kontakt (player). Kontakt (full) is basically a sampling IDE and authoring tool.

Kontakt player is for playback only; that means you can't create your own sample-based instruments.
You hinted at this already, but to be very clear: The free Kontakt Player is only for playing Native Instruments' own libraries or third-party libraries explicitly licensed for that ability. (Developers have to agree to really expensive contracts for each individual product they want to be able to run on Kontakt Player.) Nearly all free Kontakt libraries, and a majority of commercial libraries will only work in the full Kontakt application. (Player-licensed libraries also get their own panel on the Libraries tab of Kontakt whereas unlicensed libraries are only accessible via the Files and Database tabs.)

I've never heard of Wide Blue Sound before, but it def. looks like they put a lot of time and money into that Orbit thing, so they're going whole-hog with the Player licensing. I might have to check this out (don't have audio here). If it's anything like Heavyocity Aeon, I'm in.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You know, I never really looked into this before, and I just did.

:stare: :stare:

Brothers... I have seen the light. I have no idea when I'll be able to, but this right here is definitely my next musical purchase. No question.

I hesitated to buy Komplete at first, but eventually caved. The next time upgrades rolled around I went to Ultimate because I found that I was using ten different things from Komplete on literally every track. I've been using KU stuff for maybe five/six years now, and I'm still learning what bits of it do. While the price may be a bit daunting at first, it is one of the best musical purhchases I've ever made.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

I hesitated to buy Komplete at first, but eventually caved. The next time upgrades rolled around I went to Ultimate because I found that I was using ten different things from Komplete on literally every track. I've been using KU stuff for maybe five/six years now, and I'm still learning what bits of it do. While the price may be a bit daunting at first, it is one of the best musical purhchases I've ever made.

I love this. I'd be similar, learning new things every now and then, and always using it in whatever I do. I'm just kind of glad that I have a definitely 'next purchase' plan. It was up in the air before, but this is definitely it now. I mean, I actually already have Addictive Drums 2, and Amplitube 3 (before they added in microtransactions and additions), and I'd still love to have Guitar Rig and Battery alongside them.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh but what people are saying about it being addictive is absolutely true; there are tons of third parties making Kontakt instruments, some of which are just astonishingly good and cheap. I buy $10/20 libraries on a whim all the time, and now have maybe half a terabyte of sample content as a result. Want a banjo/sitar duo over a dubstep beat with a bluesy female choir in the background? I got ya.

e: This, for instance, was pretty much all done using Kontakt libraries. Many of them stock with KU.

https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/the-detectives

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 4, 2016

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Yeah KU is a great deal if you just make sure to do your upgrade at the right time of year. Don't get impatient when you start seeing ads for the cool new sample libraries. I think they generally do a good job of improving it from year to year.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I bought Komplete 7 and I haven't yet felt the need to upgrade (it's at 10)

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

wayfinder posted:

This is totally valid too. The changes from one version to another may not be remotely interesting to some people. I felt no need to move from 9-10, though for some reason I can't remember 8-9 seemed like a no-brainer for me at the time. I think updating to the newest version from the next newest is cheapest, then after that it's at the same price (so jumping from 5-10 is probably not more expensive than jumping from 7-10. I may be wrong on that though)

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Komplete keeps getting bigger with each release, too. Komplete 7 contained 24 Native Instruments products and Komplete 10 contains 39. Komplete 10 Ultimate contains 75.

I don't use all of it, but I definitely use parts that I probably wouldn't have thought to buy individually (like the West Africa and Cuba instruments). The only aspects of Komplete I haven't really spent much time with are FM8, Absynth, and Reaktor. I'm mostly about Massive, Guitar Rig, Kontakt and all the libraries, and the other effect plugins.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I will say, Rupert Buttermilk, I use FM8, Massive, Absynth, Guitar Rig, or Reaktor (including a good number of paid NI ensembles) at least once a day for game audio. And while I haven't dug into it, an excellent sound designer I know has incorporated Kontakt pretty deeply into his content creation workflow. There's a video of him using it to design gun sounds floating around the internet somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it up.

As a matter of fact I think the second to last game I worked on was probably about 70% content generated from FM8.

breaks
May 12, 2001

I got Komplete pretty early on and have upgraded every 2 or 3 versions, it's one of the best deals around. One of the few things you could argue it's missing is a great reverb, and fortunately some of the other best deals around are the Valhalla reverbs.

MockingQuantum posted:

There's a video of him using it to design gun sounds floating around the internet somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it up.

If it's not too much trouble, please do, I'd love to see it!

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
I like VintageVerb better than RC24/RC48. But perhaps my ears are broken,

W424
Oct 21, 2010

wayfinder posted:

Same, upgraded kontakt & guitar rig seperately when they were on sale. If 11 has reaktor 6 I might get it.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Laserjet 4P posted:

I like VintageVerb better than RC24/RC48. But perhaps my ears are broken,

VVV is amazing. I like Valhalla's new plate reverb a lot too.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I use Ableton, what's the best bet for getting a really simple waveshaper, like the one SeamlessR uses in FL Studio?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

There's apparently a Waveshaper CM plugin by Cableguys that comes free with a copy of Computer Music magazine. Haven't used it, but I'll vouch for Cableguys as making great plugins. Buying the Magazine should also give you access to other slightly feature limited but otherwise great plugins. Have used a couple of those (Cableguys Curve CM & Synthmaster CM) in the past and generally seems worth it as a deal.

FL Studio's Waveshaper is also available as VST in their Juice Pack, but that would end up being more expensive, though some of the other plugins included might be of interest as well.

breaks
May 12, 2001

I like Trash 2, which has a bunch of other features in addition to the highly customizable waveshaper.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I feel like I've mentioned them so much it might seem suspicious, but Melda has a decent one:
https://www.meldaproduction.com/plugins/product.php?id=MWaveShaper

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

breaks posted:

I got Komplete pretty early on and have upgraded every 2 or 3 versions, it's one of the best deals around. One of the few things you could argue it's missing is a great reverb, and fortunately some of the other best deals around are the Valhalla reverbs.

If it's not too much trouble, please do, I'd love to see it!

I'll see if I can track them down. Last I talked to him, he was redoing them because he mumbled through most of the first one, so they may not be available at the moment. I'll write myself to post them here if/when they're done.

Also, regarding the Valhalla verbs, which of them is likely to be the most "versatile"? I need a new reverb as I'm not crazy about any of my current options, and I've been meaning to grab a Valhalla plug for a long time, but I think I can only afford one at the moment. If it makes a difference, it would be primarily used for sound design, not music.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Flipperwaldt posted:

Amen.

Gonna throw in TAL Noisemaker as another suggestion for something that will help you get a grip on the basics while looking a shitload better than Synth1.

I second this.

TAL-Noisemaker and the free version of TAL-UNO 20 (or whatever it's called - it's a Juno clone) were the first plugins that actually got me making patches that I liked. Before that I was trying to learn on a microkorg and that made me want to put my head through a window.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Probably a dumb question, but I don't really "get" waveshapers... what do you use them for and how does it differ from just a regular old distortion?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
"Distortion" is a container for lots of different techniques, including waveshaping. Waveshaping is a container for lots of different techniques, including non-distorting ones.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

wayfinder posted:

"Distortion" is a container for lots of different techniques, including waveshaping. Waveshaping is a container for lots of different techniques, including non-distorting ones.

If waveshaping is a form of distortion, how can it be non-distorting? :smuggo:

I suppose I should have phrased my question better, what do you use waveshaping for other than fuzzing/warming up a sound (aka. distortion)? It just seems like one of those things where the sky is the limit and there has to be more interesting uses than fuzz. Do you use it on complex sounds or basic waveforms? Are there any "yup that's waveshaping" sort of sounds, like you get with bitcrushing, ring mod, etc.?

I want to be schooled :cheeky:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Here's an example of waveshaping.

This is a simple form of distortion that you get for free with anything digital (i.e. anything that converts incoming voltages to a series of numbers). If the voltage gets too high, just cut it off because you can't store numbers bigger than 2^16 or something.

Now imagine that we're doing something more interesting. We have something that can store numbers bigger than 2^16, but all the voltages that end up higher than a number don't get flattened but instead flipped upside down, resulting in something like this (3rd graph)

Also, read http://www.keithmcmillen.com/blog/simple-synthesis-part-8-wavefolding/

You could also make a waveshaper with a comparator. Signal comes in, if it's higher than value x it'll be at +5v, if it's lower than that, set it to -5v. With this, you could turn a saw wave into a square wave. If you can modify value x, then you can also turn that saw into a pulse wave. And if you can modify value x with an LFO, you suddenly have pulsewidth modulation.

Analog oscillators come in the shape of triangle and saw cores, and waveshapers are basically necessary to offer you more waveforms. You could also just get yourself an IC that produces a square wave and turn that back into a saw with a capacitor - see http://electricdruid.net/roland-juno-dcos/

The neat thing is that if they're just in the circuitry already you can just tap the outputs of every waveshaper and let it produce a saw + square simultaneously, only with a single oscillator. If you then put the saw output into a flipflop (which acts basically a very dumb comparator) you can get a square wave derived from the main oscillator an octave lower for bass. Since everything is derived from a single oscillator you don't have the issue like with 2 oscillator analogs that two identical waveforms are eventually going to drift out of tune (and therefore out of phase) enough to cancel eachother out, so it's pretty great for bass.

And now you know how SH101s and Junos (6, 60, 106, Alpha 1/2, MKS50) work.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Izotope just released some sort of new dynamic delay plugin, which is free until March 10.

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/effects-instruments/ddly-dynamic-delay/

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

Izotope just released some sort of new dynamic delay plugin, which is free until March 10.

Is it actually free or does it come with additional software/DRM/subscription? I love delays (though I mostly just use NastyDLA) but I hate free * stuff :cheeky:

* Give credit card number, install sketchy software

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'm pleased there's a bunch of NI chat going on because its time for my once every 3 months stab at using Absynth. What an incredible yet totally inscrutable piece of software. The cloud filter and aetherizer are amazing manglers.

I wish they'd do a version 6 that has a more friendly UI, half of it makes sense such as the signal flow in the patch section but then something like using the granular sample player is bizarrely obtuse.

It's almost as if halfway through development they got distracted by making mind blowing sci-fi pad sounds and went "gently caress it" on the rest of the UI.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

Is it actually free or does it come with additional software/DRM/subscription? I love delays (though I mostly just use NastyDLA) but I hate free * stuff :cheeky:

* Give credit card number, install sketchy software

Actually actually free. You can use it with iLok, but it's optional.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Izotope are being generous again

Free granular delay for the next couple weeks before it goes up to 40 quid.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

NonzeroCircle posted:

Izotope are being generous again

Free granular delay for the next couple weeks before it goes up to 40 quid.

It's like I'm talking to myself here.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Oh poo poo sorry, for some reason I read yours as Vinyl (working nights is great for reading comprehension). Its a fun little plug-in, make sure to familiarise where the panic button is cos it can get howly very fast.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
No worries, I'm just being a pain in the rear end. I was indeed pimping vinyl just a couple of days ago.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

FWIW Vinyl can't be activated to iLok, but DDLY can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Waves' IR-1 convo reverb is on super sale for $29 today only.

http://www.waves.com/plugins/ir1-convolution-reverb