Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Wank. Ilok just sucks, I understand why they would want it but its such an unfriendly system. Cubase's Authorisation Manager is bad enough without that layer of crap on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

NonzeroCircle posted:

Can anyone recommend a good "tape" vst? I want my programmed drums to sound a bit crappier/crustier, think Ross Robinson's 90s work kinda thing.

Get a cheap tape recorder and do it as god intended.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

any of you guys use drum synthesizer plugins? been thinking i want something dedicated, and hopefully not too obtuse.
Drumatic. It's very good. And cheap.

Really recommend against Waldorf Attack in favor of Drumatic.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

NonzeroCircle posted:

Can anyone recommend a good "tape" vst? I want my programmed drums to sound a bit crappier/crustier, think Ross Robinson's 90s work kinda thing.

Tonebooster Ferox or Reelbus might be useful, and cheap. If you use good quality color compressors you can often make things crustier quite well. Or slight bit reduction (keep the sample rate high tho).

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

For a freebie, I get some decent results from Ferric TDS, especially when combined with (as mentioned) compression and maybe a little downsampling.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Thanks for the advice guys, will check those out!

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

Tonebooster Ferox or Reelbus might be useful, and cheap. If you use good quality color compressors you can often make things crustier quite well. Or slight bit reduction (keep the sample rate high tho).

Ferox is great, I'll vouch for it. The thirty dollar bundle it comes in has a really neat bit crusher as well. The '12 bit legends' (or similar) preset is nice before ferox for some grime.

I've been using this freebie called 'art tape hell' or something that is pretty nasty in a good way also.

Anyone got a recommendation for a vsti under fifty bucks? Just looking for a subtractive with a bunch of modulation options, something like charlatan but with a mod matrix would be ideal. Maybe at this price point I'm best to stick with freeware?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

field balm posted:

Anyone got a recommendation for a vsti under fifty bucks? Just looking for a subtractive with a bunch of modulation options, something like charlatan but with a mod matrix would be ideal. Maybe at this price point I'm best to stick with freeware?
Have a look at Helm. Doesn't have a matrix as such, but does have lots of modulation options.

Synthmaster CM is also great, but it's a bit of a hassle to get hold of.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Have a look at Helm. Doesn't have a matrix as such, but does have lots of modulation options.

Synthmaster CM is also great, but it's a bit of a hassle to get hold of.

You can grab an issue of Computer Music out of the google play store for 5 bucks, which is a pretty great deal. https://play.google.com/store/newsstand/details/Computer_Music?id=CAow4b-IAg&hl=en

You get a version of Bastille now too, which should be fun to play with.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Yeah fair enough.

I was just reminded that CM also comes with Cableguys Curve 2 CM, which is also a supremely done subtractive synth with a good modulation matrix. Big deal being the whole draw your own oscillators and lfos thing. Neat.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Edit: Whoops, meant to post this in the regular synth thread.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 27, 2016

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Found myself with a couple of unexpected free hours yesterday and ended up caving and picking up the V Collection 5 upgrade. Quick thoughts:
  • WTF, this thing is now 17 products large and they don't have a unified download or installer? Had to download each synth separately and then install each individually. Also, since I install all my programs and plugins on a different drive, that meant having to set the install folders on every goddam product, one at a time. (Well it would have meant that if I hadn't decided to just create symbolic links where Arturia's defaults were to my desired locations, but still- what a pain.)Okay, while searching for the product manuals on arturia.com (none of the V Collection 5 instruments installed manuals) I found that there actually is a V Collection 5 installer available here: https://www.arturia.com/support/updates&manuals I was using the Arturia Software Center which, bewilderingly, only offers each instrument as a separate download.
  • Weird that they dropped Spark 2 from the collection. It's quite a good product and (in my opinion) fits with the V Collection considering all the vintage samples. Glad I already had licenses for it.
  • I love the Farfisa instrument. Sounds authentic and has a really cool and easy-to-use effects section.
  • The Synclavier instrument is really cool and well-done... but also massive in scope. The effects were difficult to find and not as good as on the Farfisa thing... but they really went to lengths to provide the same kind of interface and programming experience as on a real Synclavier. There are numerous panels and tabs to navigate through... very nice, but something that will take a fair bit of dedicated time to master.
  • Still not sure I "get" the Analog Lab. I know a lot of people who like it, but I'm pretty sure I'm missing the point? Like why do I need that when I already have all the instruments?All right, and I understand this better now. The strength of Analog Lab (to me) is that you can layer two parts from any of the V Collection synths in a single multi and also have the benefit of two additional effects slots inside Analog Lab. It only comes with 20 preset multis (and none of them are something I'd have a use for), but it does seem like a pretty simple way to do some quick layering.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 28, 2016

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Thanks for the suggestions - I haven't tried helm, and I think I have issues of cm that include synthmaster (the gui for curve didn't really click when I first tried it, but I'll give it another shot).

I really wish the gui for crystal was nicer, it's a beast but it takes me forever to patch.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Guys. I just got home from the bar and happened to check the page for AAS Chromaphone 2, and it's only $99 right now! (That's more than half-off (by $1 USD)!)

But! Not only that, but basically everything from them is on sale right now, including bundles of all their things! A limited-time only summer sale!

Total surprise to me, since Chromaphone was on sale when version 2 was released a little while ago (earlier this year), but that discount wasn't as nice as this one is! Not only that, but Lounge Lizard EP-4 was just on sale too, so I thought it might be a bit before they had another, especially one so wide-ranging (which I wasn't expecting at all!)

Suffice to say I bought Chromaphone 2 immediately, since I was thinking of buying it during the version 2 launch, but waited, and was seriously considering buying it for full price anyway (hence the post-bar check-in earlier tonight).

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Oh drat. I love chromaphone - Might have to get that!

Thanks for the heads up

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Have we ever talked about DDLY? I got it for free in february and it is ridiculously fun to use.

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/create-and-design/ddly-dynamic-delay.html

You can basically slap it on to any track and automate one or two parameters and you're in full-on delay madness mode. More than anything I've used, it's an 'instant interesting' button.

It's also possible to use with some restraint, if you're a total coward.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
Has anyone had experience with Korg Legacy Collection? Got an opportunity to pick it up on special for ~$100, but already have a physical MS20 - and also have a voucher that would let me grab Waves' Codex wavetable synth for ~$30. Anybody have an opinion on how Wavestation stacks up to Codex, or whether I should save up for a different one altogether? Using Pro Tools 11 so would have to run Legacy Collection via rewire or invest in a VSTi host.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Heartbroken 2Twice posted:

Has anyone had experience with Korg Legacy Collection? Got an opportunity to pick it up on special for ~$100, but already have a physical MS20 - and also have a voucher that would let me grab Waves' Codex wavetable synth for ~$30. Anybody have an opinion on how Wavestation stacks up to Codex, or whether I should save up for a different one altogether? Using Pro Tools 11 so would have to run Legacy Collection via rewire or invest in a VSTi host.

Unless they've updated the GUIs, they're extremely tiny and hard to use on modern screens, and don't expect much in the way QOL. It's probably easier to program the Wavestation VST than a real Wavestation.... but it's certainly not easy. Preset browsing/loading/saving is pretty bad too.

Soundwise they sound good to me though and from what I've heard they're pretty faithful. v:)v

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don't regret it, as such, but now the only thing I use regularly is the Wavestation. But I loving love the wavestation soooooo....

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
OK, great! Thank you both for your speedy replies. I'll just go the Legacy Collection. Unintuitive interfaces are actually my jam and what I've heard of Waves DRM is a turnoff. Cool to hear it's still usable, LordPants!

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Hmm - with all this Wavestation love, I should mention I have a Wavestation A/D (the rack-mounted version) tucked away in my closet for years now. If anyone is interested, PM me with an offer. I understand why a VST version would be preferable, though.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Heartbroken 2Twice posted:

OK, great! Thank you both for your speedy replies. I'll just go the Legacy Collection. Unintuitive interfaces are actually my jam and what I've heard of Waves DRM is a turnoff. Cool to hear it's still usable, LordPants!

The Polysix plugin is Synthwave in a box.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

any of you use GPO5? thinking about grabbing it, but i'm honestly not sure how much my inability to write orchestral bits is my fault vs. the limitations of the kontakt factory library.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
crosspost from small questions thread:

Anybody know how to set up Kontakt 5 Factory Library's strings samples with Finale 2014? I have them loaded and producing sound but I'm not able to change the playback settings between pizz and arco or tremolo and I'm not finding any info online that helps me set that up.

e:I'm not a big fan of the default garritan sounds for finale, is the GPO5 something better?

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
are those not triggered by different keyboard ranges/notes?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Weird BIAS posted:

crosspost from small questions thread:

Anybody know how to set up Kontakt 5 Factory Library's strings samples with Finale 2014? I have them loaded and producing sound but I'm not able to change the playback settings between pizz and arco or tremolo and I'm not finding any info online that helps me set that up.

e:I'm not a big fan of the default garritan sounds for finale, is the GPO5 something better?

I don't have it in front of me, but I think most of the Factory string patches map different articulations to keyswitches-- so usually the very bottom of the keyboard range (or very top, for double basses). Usually switching articulations will involve writing in and then hiding an extremely high or low register note, no idea how easy that is to do in Finale though. You'll usually need to use a dummy note at the very beginning of an instrument's line to ensure that it starts in the correct articulation too, don't assume it will always be whatever the default articulation is for that patch.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Double-post because I have a question of my own: Anybody have a strong recommendation for or against the GForce Oddity 2? And has anybody in here used both it and the Korg Odyssey? Hardware vs. software preferences aside, do you gain anything significant by going with the physical synth?

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Figured it out. Just had to google key switch in finale to find out that in an older version of finale they listed the key switch numbers and keyboard numbers but in 2014 they only show the key switch numbers, eg. c-2 is key switch 0 but kontakt only goes down to c-1 and only shows key switch numbers. Garritan defaults to 0 and 5 KS for arco and pizzicato when I needed it to be set to 12 and 17 for Kontakt. Now finale is being weird about dynamics. woooooo Oh well. This is why finale isn't a daw primarily.

e:actually this is really easy to manage now

Weird BIAS fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 10, 2016

Limbertimbre
Sep 7, 2007
Oscillator Modulator
I can't say enough good things about Reaktor 6. The Blocks update is some of the best sounding software synthesis I have ever used. The added benefit of being able to control Eurorack modular makes it that much better. If anyone is interested in modular synthesis but is hesitant to drop the $1000 it takes to build a complete voice, this is the way to go. R6 has completely taken over every part of my modular patching outside of 1 oscillator, Maths, and a filter/VCA. Being able to edit the Blocks makes this far more powerful than the Softube Modular without having to spend extra monies to get more custom modules.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Are there any decent alternatives to Battery that don't cost US$200? Specifically, with an AU version?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
There's quite a few freebie drum samplers like that out there. What is it specifically about Battery's feature set you are after?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

NonzeroCircle posted:

There's quite a few freebie drum samplers like that out there.
This is seemingly so patently untrue for vst that I can't imagine the situation being any better for au.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

NonzeroCircle posted:

There's quite a few freebie drum samplers like that out there. What is it specifically about Battery's feature set you are after?

I'm just getting back into music production after a several year hiatus - previously I was using a bunch of mostly cracked software, but this time around I am doing it 100% legit.

I used to really like Battery due to the drag-and-drop interface, the fact that the whole thing was very intuitive to use, and it made drum programming very quick and easy. I have purchased Logic X, but have not bought an additional sampler plugin yet, so I'm stuck with EXS24 for the time being. I have used EXS24 enough that I can make it do the things I need, but I find it cumbersome to use, the interface stinks, and it is super lovely when you're using a near-4k screen resolution.

I guess I'm really after something that sits somewhere in the middle between Kontakt and Battery in terms of complexity and functionality, but for a cheap (or free, heh); I expect that this is wishful thinking, though. Failing that, I'll just sack-up and stick with EXS24 until Komplete goes on sale with a deeper discount.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
New Sonic Arts have a sampler called Nuance that's looks good (although evidently not quite enough to get me to check out the demo I installed a while ago): http://www.newsonicarts.com/html/nuance.php

It still costs $99. Even a bare minimum set of sampling functionality involves a crap load of wearisome UI coding, limiting the selection of cheap/free options.

What platform and plugin format are you on? I know Windows/32-bit VSTs have a few more choices on the low end.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
May as well save and wait for Komplete if you don't have any other NI products as that'll keep you occupied for years. Could also see if anyone is selling licences for an older version?

Edit: was unaware of the below

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 14, 2016

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

NonzeroCircle posted:

May as well save and wait for Komplete if you don't have any other NI products as that'll keep you occupied for years. Could also see if anyone is selling licences for an older version?

I would strongly urge against buying used NI licenses, I've seen more people burned by it than have it work out for them. NI has no patience in dealing with people who got scammed in buying a used license either. Unless you personally know and trust the seller, it rarely works out.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

MockingQuantum posted:

I would strongly urge against buying used NI licenses, I've seen more people burned by it than have it work out for them. NI has no patience in dealing with people who got scammed in buying a used license either. Unless you personally know and trust the seller, it rarely works out.

Good to know. In that case, I'll just pony up for a fresh license.

Does Komplete ever see a deeper discount than it has currently ($399US), or is now a good time to jump on it?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Zartans Lady Mask posted:

Good to know. In that case, I'll just pony up for a fresh license.

Does Komplete ever see a deeper discount than it has currently ($399US), or is now a good time to jump on it?

$399 is pretty good. I don't recall seeing it much lower than that since Komplete 8 was on sale for ~$360 in 2013. The one reason to hold off would be Komplete 11 is probably on the horizon, and 11 will include Reaktor 6 instead of 5. It's also possible some other plugins will be updated as well, but I wouldn't hold my breath (other than Battery, most of the staple Komplete plugins haven't had a major version update in ages). However, it could be many months before 11 is released, and many more months before it goes on sale for this price. So if you want it anytime soon, now is a good time to pull the trigger. Even if 11 does come out soon, 10 still has enough to keep you busy for a life time, or at least until a big upgrade sale comes along.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

MockingQuantum posted:

Double-post because I have a question of my own: Anybody have a strong recommendation for or against the GForce Oddity 2? And has anybody in here used both it and the Korg Odyssey? Hardware vs. software preferences aside, do you gain anything significant by going with the physical synth?
I really shouldn't bother to reply because I'm not going to be helpful, in that I haven't used Oddity 2 myself... yet. I do have the Korg ARP Odyssey and love it to bits though. A friend of mine has used Oddity on like every track she's made (exaggerating somewhat, but you get the idea) and loves it, and still bought the Korg ARP Odyssey when it came out. I think she uses both in different use cases and loves both (I actually bought my Korg ARP Odyssey through/from her). The timing of your question here is coincidentally interesting to me though, since I've been thinking of picking up Oddity 2 lately just to have it in my VST quiver, but haven't done so yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

minidracula posted:

I really shouldn't bother to reply because I'm not going to be helpful, in that I haven't used Oddity 2 myself... yet. I do have the Korg ARP Odyssey and love it to bits though. A friend of mine has used Oddity on like every track she's made (exaggerating somewhat, but you get the idea) and loves it, and still bought the Korg ARP Odyssey when it came out. I think she uses both in different use cases and loves both (I actually bought my Korg ARP Odyssey through/from her). The timing of your question here is coincidentally interesting to me though, since I've been thinking of picking up Oddity 2 lately just to have it in my VST quiver, but haven't done so yet.

Well fwiw the reason I ask is because GForce is a British company.... so as long as you're not in the UK, this'll be the "cheapest" it is for a while.