Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jvilmi
May 29, 2004

Trig Discipline posted:

Not that you would necessarily want to run off and buy it just for this, but Bitwig Studio has an Audio Mod device which is designed for this exact purpose. You just drop the mod device into a track with your wav file, pipe the input to it from your guitar track, and then pick which parameters of the audio you want the guitar to drive.

For extra credit, you can also use that modulator to drive the parameters of any effect or synth.

Renoise can also do this, and the demo version is fully functional, safe for rendering to audio and the occasional nag screen.

edit: And no ASIO on Windows, it seems

jvilmi fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Sep 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

For what it's worth, I have a registered version of Renoise and ASIO works fine.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Soundtoys' Sie-Q equalizer is free through October 13th, meaning if you register it before then you'll have it forever. Since you have it, it also knocks $100 off their complete package.

Danyull fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 4, 2016

FlowerOfInfinity
May 10, 2009

Gym Leader Barack posted:

MIDI guitar can probably do what you want, it's really good at mapping guitar audio to midi and can open other VST instruments, very low latency response so the samples will play in sync with the guitar.

Thanks everyone for the replies, yeah this was the kind of thing I was after. It seems to trigger multiple times per hit though rather than just a single note that's sustained.

Also the latency isn't great :|

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Some of the settings need tweaking but I get sustained notes fine and double triggers are rare. I had latency around 7ms I think through the standalone program and Machine but through logic it adds a bunch more and I didn't figure out how to lower it.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Waves C6 is only $49 for the next 20 or so hours. http://www.waves.com/plugins/c6-multiband-compressor#multiband-compression-for-electronic-drums

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Got Serum for my birthday, this looks like it's going to be fun! Not a super fan of the factory presets so far but it appears to be a real beast in terms of sound design possibilities

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

wayfinder posted:

Got Serum for my birthday, this looks like it's going to be fun! Not a super fan of the factory presets so far but it appears to be a real beast in terms of sound design possibilities

There's some youtube videos of Steve Duda (the guy who made serum) showing tips and tricks for the instrument, well worth checking out. He's also great at responding to questions if you ever email him.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Its definitely a "easy to pick up hard to master" synth- the basic concepts are well represented by the gui but that noise section alone puts a lot of synths to shame. If only he'd collaborate with NI for Absynth 6, and make it that usable, would never need another synth again.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Not sure if it's been mentioned but I'm loving Helm as a beginner's synth. I'm more a guitar guy but I've been slowly exploring synths. This thing is crazy versatile and nicely laid out. And it's free! I really need to clean out my closet of VSTs I don't use though. So many I only used once and forgot. At least free VSTs are nicer on the wallet than normal GAS.

But now I want Kontakt. All of it. Help me.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's taken me about a year to work out how to drive it, but the Arturia Prophet V is now my favorite synth.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

What's everyone's impressions of Izotope's Iris 2? Is it incredible? I really want a good sampler synth for crazy and weird sound design, and it's relatively cheap.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Its loving awesome, get it. A bit weird initially (you can use either master fx OR sends, not both) but will make sounds you've never heard before.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

NonzeroCircle posted:

Its loving awesome, get it. A bit weird initially (you can use either master fx OR sends, not both) but will make sounds you've never heard before.

Wow, I've been into sample-based stuff recently and somehow never heard of this thing. It looks/sounds pretty cool :aaa: I already have too many synths so I'm looking for a reason not to buy it; does it have super lovely DRM perhaps? (never bought an Izotope product before)

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Wow, I've been into sample-based stuff recently and somehow never heard of this thing. It looks/sounds pretty cool :aaa: I already have too many synths so I'm looking for a reason not to buy it; does it have super lovely DRM perhaps? (never bought an Izotope product before)

Nope. iZotope supports iLok but offers non-ilok authorisation too. I have all my iZotope stuff on my laptop and don't carry my iLok with me, ever.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

NonzeroCircle posted:

Fantastic, thanks! I've been looking around for Alchemy-like plugins, and so far, Iris 2 is the closest I've been able to find.

EDIT: Also, there are very few videos of people taking samples and really loving with them using Iris 2. There's one guy who does it to his guitar playing, but that's really all I can find. And enough with the 'dreamy pad sound' tutorials, jesus christ :psyduck:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 15, 2016

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Fantastic, thanks! I've been looking around for Alchemy-like plugins, and so far, Iris 2 is the closest I've been able to find.

EDIT: Also, there are very few videos of people taking samples and really loving with them using Iris 2. There's one guy who does it to his guitar playing, but that's really all I can find. And enough with the 'dreamy pad sound' tutorials, jesus christ :psyduck:

I can't find them on my phone, but for a while Chris Sweetman from Sweet Justice sound had a couple of videos of him using Iris 2 for sound design, I think. Not sure if they're still around.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The 'painting' is more refined that Alchemy which is nice. The various pitch modes it has are worth playing with. Its utterly replaced Absynth as my "weird texture generator". The female vocal noises you can coax are probably my favorite bit, feminine but not chipmunky. And some SAVAGE reese noises.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

NonzeroCircle posted:

The 'painting' is more refined that Alchemy which is nice. The various pitch modes it has are worth playing with. Its utterly replaced Absynth as my "weird texture generator". The female vocal noises you can coax are probably my favorite bit, feminine but not chipmunky. And some SAVAGE reese noises.

What do you mean by "reese" noises?

Man, I can't even wait to try out the demo, once I set up my home studio again.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

how does one actually use Absynth? I have it installed but it's pretty much indecipherable as my 'Decoding WinAmp 2 Skins' skills have atrophied.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
"Reece" is a generalish term for that sort of weird tearing drum n bass bass sound; its a sort of detuned unison saws/squares distorted and filtered to hell and back, lots of filter modulation, and generally resampled. I think about 40% of the Dogs on Acid forum is about how to make them. It was originally used in a really old rave tune by Alex Reece (always forget if its a C or S there) which got used loads. Its almost like the synthbass equivalent of the Amen break.

Like the bass sounds after the fallout sample in this
https://youtu.be/Ab8RkX1_FVQ
(The guy is a sound designer as a day job, done work for EA before)

Absynth is, I found, best learnt by reverse engineering. Find a patch you like and gradually turn off sections to see what they are doing to the sound. Tbh i generally find a preset in the ballpark of what I want then fiddle with poo poo til it sounds good. Its a shame its so loving obtuse so there's nowhere near as many tutorials as Massive or even FM8. Small things like assigning envelopes are so much harder than they need to be, especially when there's so many parameters on there.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I've been toying with the idea of doing a few youtube videos where I'd learn a particular synth/plugin along with the audience. Take your basic understandings of sound synthesis and then run the plugin through its paces, discovering new things along the way. Not a tutorial, but it would still help people learn it, hopefully.

Assuming I'm able to get a competent set up, would anyone here be interested in that sort of thing?

EDIT: With regards to using Iris (1, in this case) for neat sound design, this is what I'm talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrB-GolJZ2E

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 16, 2016

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Soundtoys is giving away Tremolator for free y'all.

http://www.soundtoys.com/product/tremolator/

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I was hoping Toontrack would have a black friday deal for EZDrummer, but instead they've gone and discounted Superior Drummer to be cheaper than EZ. I imagine Superior has better samples and offers more customization/flexibility, but what had me interested in EZ is it's quick workflow and ease of use for finding grooves, adding variation and creating full song backing tracks. From what I can tell, Superior doesn't have the same workflow and ease of use features as EZ. Is that true?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Splinter posted:

I was hoping Toontrack would have a black friday deal for EZDrummer, but instead they've gone and discounted Superior Drummer to be cheaper than EZ. I imagine Superior has better samples and offers more customization/flexibility, but what had me interested in EZ is it's quick workflow and ease of use for finding grooves, adding variation and creating full song backing tracks. From what I can tell, Superior doesn't have the same workflow and ease of use features as EZ. Is that true?

Your understanding of the two products is correct.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

well why not posted:

how does one actually use Absynth? I have it installed but it's pretty much indecipherable as my 'Decoding WinAmp 2 Skins' skills have atrophied.

Check https://www.adsrsounds.com/absynth-tutorials/beginners-tutorial-series-oscillators-in-absynth/

It was designed by someone who insisted on four decimal accuracy for pretty much everything. Hexagons can be clickdragged - leftmost is coarse adjustment, right is fine.

All oscillator waveforms can be used as LFO waveforms. You can draw your own or use additive synthesis to generate them. However, that also means they are locked in phase unless you modulate phase so that's no sweet freerunning goodness you get with decent analog modeling.

What else do you have or what are you used to?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

FM or Wavetable, usually using Operator or Serum/Massive. Absynth just feels like a weirdo early 2000s relic, but I'm aware it can do some cool stuff.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This might be outside of the scope of this thread, so I apologize if it is but would anyone know of a good place to start if I was interested in developing my own plugins?

breaks
May 12, 2001

well why not posted:

FM or Wavetable, usually using Operator or Serum/Massive. Absynth just feels like a weirdo early 2000s relic, but I'm aware it can do some cool stuff.

Interface wise is feels like it because it is. I don't use the synth itself much but I do still use the FX version of it from time to time, it can do some cool stuff.

This might be outside of the scope of this thread, so I apologize if it is but would anyone know of a good place to start if I was interested in developing my own plugins?

I don't know much about it, but maybe try the DSP/Dev forum over at KvR. I know there are a couple how to get started stickies and a few professional developers and other knowledgeable people post there a bit (along with the usual assortment of total loons). I've occasionally heard talk of some plugin dev mailing lists also, but I don't know exactly where or if there are any requirements to get on them.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Consider Reaktor and/or Synthmaker (or even Max/MSP with Gen) to do prototyping of stuff.

Start brushing up on your math and C/C++ skills.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
General vst heads up; Waves gold bundle is stupid cheap (for Waves stuff) at the moment, $199 down from $799

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I got the Waves Gold bundle about 2 years ago and have only recently reinstalled it - their service centre isn't amazing - and have been pretty satisfied. Having access to C1, L1 and Vitamin is probably worth the $200 alone.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

What kind of things are you aiming for, and what are your current coding skills and preferences?

This tutorial for WDL-OL gets bandied around a lot, covers a nice breadth of concepts, and results in a neat prototype ready for further self-driven exploration & experimentation.

The best practices I can suggest would be to get really good mindful serenity, to never ever develop new audio code whilst wearing headphones, and to expect constant aggravation (in stereo where available). Go well and brave, comrade!

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

made a late black friday purchase and upgraded to the Mixing Bundle at MeldaProduction. then my audio interface immediately decided to start acting up so I haven't been able to play with anything. just wanted to offer solidarity with other goons throwing money at their computer.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ynohtna posted:

What kind of things are you aiming for, and what are your current coding skills and preferences?

This tutorial for WDL-OL gets bandied around a lot, covers a nice breadth of concepts, and results in a neat prototype ready for further self-driven exploration & experimentation.

The best practices I can suggest would be to get really good mindful serenity, to never ever develop new audio code whilst wearing headphones, and to expect constant aggravation (in stereo where available). Go well and brave, comrade!

Oh, my coding experience is next to nothing, I'm kind of just spitballing ideas for things that I could take on (and spend years learning, I'm not going to kid myself).

And yes, no headphones while developing new audio code. Sage advice.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Definitely consider Reaktor or Max then, unless you're really set on VSTs specifically.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

breaks posted:

Definitely consider Reaktor or Max then, unless you're really set on VSTs specifically.

Actually, it'd be AU primarily, and then something like VST, as I'm currently on a mac for all my audio work.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Well it all depends on what your goals are, but both are available for Mac. Neither is a toy, they are both full development environments that are just specialized for audio work, and will cut the time until you can do something useful dramatically (though not to nothing by any means).

Of course neither is useful if you just want to learn a programming language for fun or as a possible future job skill, but then again writing plugins is also probably one of the worst ways you could go about doing that too, so... But if you're happy with it then don't let me tell you poo poo.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

breaks posted:

Well it all depends on what your goals are, but both are available for Mac. Neither is a toy, they are both full development environments that are just specialized for audio work, and will cut the time until you can do something useful dramatically (though not to nothing by any means).

Of course neither is useful if you just want to learn a programming language for fun or as a possible future job skill, but then again writing plugins is also probably one of the worst ways you could go about doing that too, so... But if you're happy with it then don't let me tell you poo poo.

Oh, I'm not really planning a career on it or anything. But if someday, I made a plugin that helped people make new sounds, I'd be proud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
It would still be drastically easier, generally, to mock up those new sounds in a modular environment like Max before implementing them into a plugin. You'd have an idea then of what the results SHOULD sound like. Then if the max version is computer intensive your plugin version will be a better solution, with better gui etc. Unless you have a hardware synth and you're planning on testing various patchings etc on that, Max and programs like it will probably be useful for you in finding your ideas and roughing them out.

The advice upthread is very helpful and makes me want to try converting some of my patches into plugin form. The process seems maddening without some reference point though...