Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Windows musicians should scroll down, but for those of us capable of using Audio Units I really recommend the plug-ins by AirWindows.

http://www.airwindows.com

Most of them are designed to subtly replicate the analogue response, organic feel, soft saturation and harmonic distortion of classic analogue mixing desks and other gear, but they can also be abused for very interesting results and some of the plug-ins are deliberately quite excessive. They don't have any fancy UI and are also exceptionally lightweight on CPU usage.

I love using them on fully digital in-the-box channels to give those tracks the classic old-school analogue feel I grew up with.

There's a whole bunch of freebies to try too:

http://www.airwindows.com/freebies.html

Edit: I'll write up some of my other favourite plug-ins later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
muckswirler deserves the kudos, not me!

But while I'm posting, I'll recommend the Sonalksis FreeG plug-in (Windows, OS X, VST, AU, RTAS).

http://www.sonalksis.com/freeg.htm

It's just a gain fader! But it's a nice big one that gives a huge amount of accuracy, solid metering (peak & RMS, both instantaneous and maximum recorded), a fine control mode, and tweakable meter ballistics.

As the name suggests, it's free so there's really no excuse for keeping it in your toolbox for those situations when the default DAW fader controls are just too finicky for fine detail work.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

field balm posted:

Anyone have any idea about software or vst to use midi pads to control a step sequencer? My Akai LPD8 has 4 banks of pads and can be on/off (with light up pads to indicate), it would be cool to be able to sequence some stuff from it.

Do you have Numerology? I made a stack in it for my LPD8 that has velocity of strikes on 4 pads controlling gate lengths, sequential pad strikes on a single pad shifting velocities onto a 8 steps, the 8 knobs controlling pitch, etc.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Does anyone know of a host-synced tempo delay that supports an additional delay offset set in milliseconds?

Basically, I want to accurately compensate for I/O delay in my delayed feedback paths.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Not with a negative offset (and I want to avoid agitating Ableton's dodgy PDC with a negative track offset).

Maybe I should just knock up a quick hack in SonicBirth if I get time.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

muckswirler posted:

Echoboy has a rushing/dragging control that's effectively a ms delay adjustment to the tempo locked feedback signal.

Oooh, good call. Thanks.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Can anyone recommend a free bitcrusher?

TB TimeMachine is totally free (just comes with a bundle of other TB trial stuff), but there's also Inear Display's SicknDstroy and TAL-BitCrusher amongst many others.

http://www.ineardisplay.com/freebies/
http://www.kunz.corrupt.ch/?Products:VST_TAL-Bitcrusher

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Not that anyone but professional mastering engineers should attempt mastering, but Ian Shepherd's Perception plug-in sure is the bee's knees for accurately assessing the impact of a processing chain for those of us who happily ignore best practices :

http://productionadvice.co.uk/perception/

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Eric Persing is very protective of his reputation as a jerk.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Popcorn posted:

I guess I'll ask NI.

:rip:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
There are two types of Kontakt packs.

DRM-encoded "licensed" packs can be played freely in Kontakt & Kontakt Player. The sample developer pays a large fee to NI for this, although the amount can be somewhat negotiated if they have cred and can "guarantee" certain sales volumes.

Unencoded/unlicensed packs can only be played in the full version of Kontakt. Kontakt Player will nag about upgrading, and will only give you 15 minutes of usage - and saving is locked out - before a restart is required.

NI's business model, folks.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
New Sonic Arts have a sampler called Nuance that's looks good (although evidently not quite enough to get me to check out the demo I installed a while ago): http://www.newsonicarts.com/html/nuance.php

It still costs $99. Even a bare minimum set of sampling functionality involves a crap load of wearisome UI coding, limiting the selection of cheap/free options.

What platform and plugin format are you on? I know Windows/32-bit VSTs have a few more choices on the low end.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This might be outside of the scope of this thread, so I apologize if it is but would anyone know of a good place to start if I was interested in developing my own plugins?

What kind of things are you aiming for, and what are your current coding skills and preferences?

This tutorial for WDL-OL gets bandied around a lot, covers a nice breadth of concepts, and results in a neat prototype ready for further self-driven exploration & experimentation.

The best practices I can suggest would be to get really good mindful serenity, to never ever develop new audio code whilst wearing headphones, and to expect constant aggravation (in stereo where available). Go well and brave, comrade!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Ignore anyone who suggests that you could possibly be doing creative self-expression wrong.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Mister Speaker posted:

I feel like I've asked this before, but does there exist a VST container (for Mac) that will run a plugin on whatever I'm monitoring out of my interface?

For example, if I wanted to run some metering plugins like Insight or StereoTool to see what's going on in a video or stream I'm watching in my browser.

I use Rogue Amoeba's Audio Hijack for such purposes.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Pollyanna posted:

Am…am I the only Renoise user here? :ohdear:

I use its mutant plugin sibling, Redux, within Numerology or Studio One.

Gains me flexible access to a hodge-podge of most modes of sequencing so I can accommodate the way my brain is tilting and, occasionally, choose the most effective method of expressing a daft musical idea.

Use whatever works for you and don't overthink it, imo.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Have you setup an external device for it with appropriate input in Studio One, and enabled input monitor on its track? (Sorry if these are dumb and obvious questions.)

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I have both the TAL and the D16 SH101-inspired plugins and they are both sufficiently squelchy to make me very happy (and allow me to put off renovating my increasingly senile MC202).

They're both close enough in sound, features and satisfaction that I choose which one to use either randomly or out of idle curiousity.

e: The D16 one does polyphony/layers but it's totally wasted on me.

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Nov 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
This one: https://tal-software.com/products/tal-bassline-101