Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Don't miss the (crazily) free TDR Feedback Compressor II.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Aalto is 50% off until July 30. This is an amazing price for an amazing synth. Go get it.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

IrvingWashington posted:

Free copies of UVI's Mello VST with the code MFUVIMELLO400.

I haven't played with it yet but it sounds pretty.

Requires iLok.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

The CLA-2A sounds pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4RbJfs8rTc

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

I finally finished a Reaktor project I've been working on and would really appreciate it if some of you would download it and check it out before I upload it the NI user library.

I call it Platter.

Basically, I sampled 128 vinyl runouts and lock grooves and made this ensemble for creating a near infinite amount of popping, crackling, and hissing record noise. I hope you enjoy it. Please let me know if you have any problems with it.

Click for hiss.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Sorry about the issue you had with Maschine. I don't have one and can't test on it. As for "playing" the ensemble, you can't. It's either off or on. It was intended to be used as a sound source for either re-sampling your own record noises for further processing and layering, or to just run in the background to add some record grunge to a track. I'm pretty certain mapping a controller or button to the on/off switch is possible, so you can do that to automate it's on/off state.

I'd be interested in hearing what exactly you meant by "play" it.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

RandomCheese posted:

I mean can I trigger it to start up at certain times or for a certain length? Yeah prettymuch mapping on/off to a controller so I can have it appear at certain sections of a track, but resampling is probably the best bet as I can grab as long as I want and then chop it up on the maschine pads to fit it wherever I want, that didn't even occur to me.
Don't worry about the maschine issue, it's more likely the result of me clicking the wrong thing when I was flailing around blindly trying to add it into the presets list. Platter has been solid and stable since I figured out how to correctly load it.

Thanks again for the ensemble, I had been wondering recently how to add some atmospheric hiss to some of my tracks and then you show up with this fuzzy, crackly wonder. I'll let you know when I put it under a song.

You can add this functionality easily. Edit the ensemble and add a MIDI In->Gate module. Attach it to the final Multiply module before the Smoother going in to the Sampler Loop device. Set the Min range to 1 in the Function tab and check the Mono box. Now, the device will only play when a MIDI note is on.

e: Feel free to delete the 0 constant as well. Don't know where that snuck in from :)

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

minidracula posted:

Cross-posting from the synthesizers thread:

An email update from Randy of Madrona Labs mentions a new Aalto update (1.5) and Kaivo to be shipping (hopefully!) in the next couple weeks.

The new build of Aalto is great and Kaivo is the loving coolest thing. I'm getting sounds out of it that are just unreal.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

minidracula posted:

Let it be known that if you are in the closed beta for Kaivo, I hate you.

Kaivo's release "schedule" is taxing my ability to remain patient.

Can we still be friends?

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 18, 2014

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

minidracula posted:

That drums demo is pretty Nettle-licious almost entirely throughout. (Maybe I just have them on the brain because I charged my iPod finally and was able to listen to Build a Fort, Set That on Fire for the first time in a while).

How chompy has it been on your CPU in beta? Are you using it on Windows or OS X?

The first version wouldn't even run on my machine. Windows 7 32-bit, i5, Live 9.1. Randy sent me some other builds to help figure out what was going on and I think he's nailed it. Still takes about 50% of my CPU for 4 voices, and I have to disconnect my wireless internet dongle or I get pops and crackles, but it's worth it.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

renderful posted:

Ooooh, now to decide between Largo and PPG Wavegenerator.

I'll probably grab Kaivo first, anyway.

Kaivo and Aalto are the best VST synths ever made, so, yeah, this is a good idea.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Swagger Dagger posted:

I watched the Kaivo video and I never want to hear that dude say sonic... exploration ever again.

I haven't seen the video you're talking about, but drat, you can do some serious sonic exploration in Kaivo.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

minidracula posted:

Oldstench covered this already in the synthesizers thread, but Kaivo is out now!

:siren: GO GO GO GO GO!!! :bandwagon: :siren:

Kinda the only thing holding me back from Buying It Now is whether it'll be punishing on my laptop, which is similar to the specs you mentioned above: Windows 7 64-bit, i5, 8 GB RAM, Live 8 & 9, a bunch of other BS.

Runs like a champ at up to 7 voices with complex modulation routings now. He optimized the gently caress out of it.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

So I just got an email about a new VST wavetable synth with some fun things like drawing/importing your own waves on it's built in wavetable editor.

http://www.xferrecords.com/products/serum

Haven't listened to demo's yet since I'm on a jobsite but it looks interesting.

Serum is rad as hell. It also makes my processor its bitch. Make sure you try the demo first.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Your Computer posted:

What is "restricted to 20 minutes of use per operation" supposed to mean? :confused:
I'll be checking it out though, I'm a sucker for wavetables.

It stops working after 20 minutes. You also can't save any patches.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Madrona Labs Aalto and Kaivo are 50% with the discount code "DOUGFIR". You should buy these awesome synths.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Your Computer posted:

They both seem pretty awesome (especially if you want to do something very experimental), but I've never actually heard or seen a proper demo of any of them. I have the limited version of Aalto, but that's only one voice so I feel it kinda defeats the whole concept.

How long does this offer last? I want to be convinced to buy them :10bux:

Take my word for it, they are awesome. The discount lasts until tomorrow.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

wayfinder posted:

And with the music they're designed for, nobody could tell that was unintentional.

I disagree with this. You can do amazing melodic work with both.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah but you can do those things in a limited sense in Sound Forge as well, it's still not what I think most people mean when they say "DAW" in this day and age. Or maybe I'm trying to interpret that term more narrowly than other people, idk.

~*~ALL DAWS ARE BEAUTIFUL~*~

Exactly. Burial wrote all his albums in Sound Forge.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

Does anybody have a recommendation for a good plugin that allows cross-modulation of two sound clips? There used to be a ton of different plugins for it, like Prosoniq Morph (and I think NI Vokator did it too) but the only plugins I've found that do it are multieffects processors and cost lots of moneys.
morfl might work for you - windows only though.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Audiobombs has several.
https://www.audiobombs.com/items/125/deep-house-chords-for-cthulhu
https://www.audiobombs.com/items/118/cthulu-chord-presets
https://www.audiobombs.com/items/402/chords-for-cthulu

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I upgraded to XLN Audio's Addictive Drums 2 months ago, and still haven't really messed around with it :smith:

After work, man, I don't want to even bother, and I hate that.

I work from home programming 8-10 hours a day in the same room all my musical equipment is in. At the end of the day and on weekends, the last thing I want to do is spend more time in here. I really need to quit this job and open a rum bar on a beach or something.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

This sounds pretty nice.
http://output.com/products/exhale/

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

cat doter posted:

Am I the only one that loving hates using kontakt? I use it a lot since there's a ton of cool stuff made for it but I'd rather just add a VSTi to a track and have it go rather than dealing with their dumb wrapper. It has a lot of weird issues that I have to work around.

I do. So much so that when I made Platter I did it in Reaktor even though it's just a sample player.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Anyone here use Omnisphere? From what I'm seeing, it feels like it'd be that one 'synth that really does it all'. Thoughts?

It's loving awesome. That's my take on it.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

I figure some people (all people?) here would be interested in this: http://brightsparks.movie/

Synth documentary, looks (and sounds) excellent, from the trailer.

Hopefully it's not as disappointing as IDOW.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

They all sound fine, especially in a track.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Reaktor 6 isn't included in the Komplete bundle? That sucks.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

any of you guys use drum synthesizer plugins? been thinking i want something dedicated, and hopefully not too obtuse.

I use Sonic Charge uTonic quite a bit.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

NonzeroCircle posted:

Can anyone recommend a good "tape" vst? I want my programmed drums to sound a bit crappier/crustier, think Ross Robinson's 90s work kinda thing.

Get a cheap tape recorder and do it as god intended.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Unfiltered Audio is giving away their Indent distortion plugin until the 15th. You have to register, but it's still a good deal.
https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products/unfiltered_audio_indent.html

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

This is cool and free.
http://kammerl.de/audio/kfingerprints/

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Omnisphere owns.

Uncle Kitchener posted:

But what are some other ambient and industrial-sounding VST or sound libraries out there.

http://folktek.com/vst

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Speaking of drums, what are the good Drum & Bass and Jungle VSTs?

Get that one that has the Akai sampler time stretch algorithm.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Uncle Kitchener posted:

People mention Ableton already has that feature with time stretch sampling and couple other people suggest sampletank2.

I dunno, maybe the answer is right infront of me, but help me out a bit, people.

What era are you trying to ape?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Uncle Kitchener posted:

What's a good drum sample pack for DnB?

Amen Brother by The Winstons.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

MrSargent posted:

My laptop isn’t bad, but heavy Serum patches can cause dropouts and pops. Am I going to have a lot of issues using it?

What you describe is exactly what I want out of it.

Just up your buffer when using out during mixdown.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Laserjet 4P posted:

$30 for SoundForge, holy poo poo

That's a good deal.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Gaspy Conana posted:

Is there something that SoundForge (or anything in the bundle really) does differently than a standard DAW (Ableton in my case) that makes it particularly worth having? I know 0 about it.

Like Laserjet 4P said, it's an audio editor. In Ableton you can set SF up as the audio editor that spawns when you click the edit button in a clip. Before Live 10, audio editing really sucked (IMO) because of the fiddly way that you had to zoom into clips and scrolling sucked and blah blah. SF was a million times easier. Since 10, it's only 100 time easier. I'll use Live proper to do some rough edits, but if I want to get scientific on my wavs it's SF all the way. YMMV.

e: tl;dr: If you're used to audio editing in Live it may not be worth it and actually slow you down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

I know nothing about this synth, but Plugin Boutique has Hybrid 3 on sale for $1 from $130.