Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Does NI just not do demos? Certainly interested in this, but not without testing it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I'm a big fan of MeldaProduction's stuff.
http://www.meldaproduction.com/plugins/product.php?id=MFreeEffectsBundle
Not sure if the free versions allow you to use their modulation system, but they're still drat nice without it.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Anyone having trouble downloading Supercharger? The remix sets work fine, but Supercharger just brings up a blank "Download Now" window.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I have two requests for the wizards here.

1) Is there any sort of plugin that will take MIDI in and try to analyse what key the piece is in?

2) I need some awful choir sounds. The cheesiest poo poo possible, while being recognizable as an attempt at a human voice. Any plugins/samples you guys can recommend?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Awesome, thanks!

On the topic of sample libraries, Is there any program for changing tags on Kontakt libraries outside of Kontakt itself? Some stuff I've been downloading is a mess, and I'd like to be able to change the names/tags etc without having to edit each instrument individually.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

minidracula posted:

See also this post from BKPR in the synth thread if you're interested in a list of what all modules this thing has: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3617837&pagenumber=15&perpage=40#post428322443

He's finally put this info up on the product page, after what, two weeks?

After looking at the module list I figured I'd just make do with what I've got. The demo was impressive but I feel confident I could replicate what I liked about that with a regular FM synth with decent modulation options.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Yeah, I'm more interested in seeing if there are any updates coming to current software. I don't need three more pianos.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Radiapathy posted:

Well now we know why they added all those pianos to Komplete 10: They actually dropped their whole "Classic Pianos" line with this release.

I never use them so I guess it's no big deal, though I'm curious how this works when you upgrade. If I go from 9 to 10 I'm not gonna lose those pianos am I?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

KVR is an even split between pedantic dorks and people who type like grandmas.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

KVR has a music theory forum and it's the worst place to try and learn anything. A couple people who know poo poo and a billion others trying to teach each other things they don't understand

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Do they still use the iLok program or something for that?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Yeah, just saw this:
http://www.xils-lab.com/pages/XILS32_Differences-And-Upgrade.html
So looks fine as long as you don't upgrade. I'll pick it up.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Asked on KVR and got nothing, so maybe some of you folks know: I want to test some of my effects, get some concrete data on their character. What would you guys recommend doing for this? My first thought was just running a sine wave or white noise through, depending. Aside from seeing the shape of a filter though, I'm not sure how to read useful info from that. Christian Budde has a tool for this kinda thing, but it only works with 32-bit plugins so it's no use to me.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I was thinking mainly of compressors. Trying to determine at what point distortion (good or bad) is being introduced, how a "character" compressor might be effecting parts of the spectrum differently, etc.

The program is VST Analyzer, it's a standalone.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

There are demos of both on the Madrona site. Fully functional except for occasional white noise.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Didn't notice it was over so soon. Guess I'm buying Kaivo!

e: asked in the synth thread, but anyone here have experience with the QuNeo? Seems like a really nice non-keyboard controller for doing more expressive playing.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Spent about half an hour playing with Kaivo. It sounds loving fantastic. Really natural and expressive. It does use a ton of CPU though. I've been pulling most patches down to 1 or 2 voices.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Never seen a KVR thread get that long that fast. Fifty pages of garbage, fresh from the mill.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Is there anything concrete saying Camel was bought at all? I keep seeing this but it just seems like what falls out of KVR after ten thousand angry emoticons

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

It's almost certainly done with Paulstretch. not a plugin though, it's a standalone.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Anything you run through paulstretch is immediately recognizable as such. Also there have been plenty of people who take a pop song, run it through and want to tell us all about it (or get an article written).

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

e: wrong thread

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Pretty sure I had 15 bucks of store credit left too. A heads up would have been great.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I use Cthulhu a lot to get a basis down to play with later on. Reaper lets you record MIDI out from a plugin so I can just pull the pattern and tweak different iterations later. There's some usability stuff I'd really like to see though.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

One thing I only recently figured out, which I don't think is in the manual: if you have the Chord button under the arp pressed in, the different numbers play different inversions of the chord. Probably useful for somebody!

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Tangential: Does anyone remember the name of that DAW that's basically just a modular environment with automation lanes? I feel like it started with the word sound.

e: Audiomulch is what I was thinking of.

coolskull fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 9, 2015

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Looking for something to record and then loop audio in real time. What would you guys recommend?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

VST, yeah. There's some stuff built into reaper that's promising but doesn't give a lot of visual feedback.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I'm tempted to upgrade but I don't even have a great grasp on what I got now. Maybe I'll hold out for K11.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I realized I'd been making notes all wrong for the past year, so now I'm working on a classy looking word document where I sort out all the stuff I need to know about Absynth. I'll get to the others eventually.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Think he wants to sell his current Reaktor key before getting his Komplete license.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Decided to go ahead and upgrade to K10 anyway. It's my birthday drat it.

Also picked up Redux: http://renoise.com/redux

I've always liked Renoise for loving with samples and this makes it a lot easier to do that without having to do everything in a tracker. It's worth checking out if you want something to intricately/individually mess with samples. Having an easy way to pan individual notes is already a big plus for me.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Yup. Just got released a week ago. Haven't run into any issues so far.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Took me literally eight hours on and off to get everything installed and patched, but I'm on K10 now. Polyplex is really cool and lets you work fast, but I'm conflicted about how much I can do with it to make the sounds "mine." Maybe there's some workaround to get your own samples in as source material?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Yup, that's it. I assumed it would be all locked up since they're charging for it. Thanks!

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

field balm posted:

Goddamn this looks awesome, i need it yesterday. Can you route other audio through the fx section? What is the cpu use like?

Nah, it won't act as an effect or send midi data to other plugins. Everything it does is just for its own samples. CPU use is pretty low, hasn't caused any issues at least.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Dunno if these are transferable, but I've got an NI $25 voucher for anyone interested:
7SUM7EAVZB

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

You can't snuggle up in bed with a desktop computer. That's where I make my most sensual music.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Is that how that works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

How's everyone feel about Synthmaster? Demo has been fairly impressive, but it's one of those things where I feel like I might already have it covered with Komplete.