Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Unique really lives up to it's name, has a very 'human' quality to it and does really well for analogue style pads, leads and vocal/vowel sounds. Artillery 2 and a MIDI controller= hours of fun; If you like jamming stuff, you should get it for sure. Haven't tried the others, but I read some incredibly favorable reviews of Sawer in Future Music and Computer Music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Freezing tracks in Live works really really well for freeing up CPU, especially if you're getting effects happy or using a lot of voices in a patch.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Are you varying your velocities much when programming your beats? Everything at 127 will sound really fake and robotic, especially if it's all rigidly quantized to the grid.

You can always layer sounds, so maybe an 808 kick and 909 snare with some distortion underneath could help; just remember to eq out some of the low end on the EZ kick so its not muddy.

EZ drummer presets tend to be fairly processed already, but you can run the kit through another eq and compressor and as mentioned use a little room reverb on a send. Alternatively you could try a mulitband distortion like Fabfilter Saturn, or a simple 'tape' setting on a saturator plugin to add some warmth and gel the sounds a bit.

What are you using for guitar? Is the issue at mixdown time or is it a case of never finding the right kit to begin with?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Voxengo Span is a great one, Computer Music gives out a free version every month.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I've got good acidy sounds outta Massive, those filters can proper howl at high resonance. Try the acid and scream types along with the soft clipper and tube distortions. The VA waveforms are good rather than the standard square/saw ones

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Amplitube is the tits, so much better than Guitar Rig which I used before, the workflow makes sense (though GR is probably more flexible) and the series/parallel routing options make it a snap to blend dirt with clarity. The bass amps are pretty decent too, can get some really good tones.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
N6 is fantastic, very easy to use, but can occasionally stomp on your CPU though.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'm pleased there's a bunch of NI chat going on because its time for my once every 3 months stab at using Absynth. What an incredible yet totally inscrutable piece of software. The cloud filter and aetherizer are amazing manglers.

I wish they'd do a version 6 that has a more friendly UI, half of it makes sense such as the signal flow in the patch section but then something like using the granular sample player is bizarrely obtuse.

It's almost as if halfway through development they got distracted by making mind blowing sci-fi pad sounds and went "gently caress it" on the rest of the UI.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Izotope are being generous again

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/effects-instruments/ddly-dynamic-delay/

Free granular delay for the next couple weeks before it goes up to 40 quid.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Oh poo poo sorry, for some reason I read yours as Vinyl (working nights is great for reading comprehension). Its a fun little plug-in, make sure to familiarise where the panic button is cos it can get howly very fast.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Expand the bottom of the lfo by clicking the arrow icon on the right of the lfo device, then drag one of the four ticks to what knob you want to modulate. The slider next to the tick is how strongly the lfo will affect the chosen parameter.

Try it on gain with an inverted lfo at the same rate on the volume on one of the distortion pedals, useless but pretty fun! Super fast and very gentle lfo on short delay times (less than 20 ms) can create some cool noises, you can pretend you're in Skinny Puppy if you sing through a delay set up like that.

This drag the tick method works on all the modulators like the envelope too: the envelope is good for reversy violin noises or making your own autowah.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Oh right. No idea then dude, sorry.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Agreed posted:

I really like the Amplitube MESA/Boogie pack. It might overtake the Orange pack as my favorite Amplitube expansion since they started working with amp manufacturers; they really turned in a top notch effort here, though I am kind of baffled by the lack of a MkIIC+ model still.

Here's a clip of the Mk IV and Mk III, my favorite of the pack. Don't get me wrong, the Rectos sound Recto as can be, it's just not historically my favorite amp - the dual rec in this is pretty tight though, growing on me.

I need to set up a soundcloud, I think, I see Tindeck is up for sale now

I love Mesa pack so much, and am impressed by what more amplitube 4 offers in general. For ages I was using impulses but the new cab room and choice of speakers is too good to pass up.

The new Marshall models are fun too, can really get close to those NoFx or Slayer sounds with very little effort. I've not really been a Marshall fan for a long time (granted apart from my very first 10w back in the distant past I haven't really used a real one, just a million emulations) but these two really do it for me.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The one thing I still struggle with is getting a good bass tone from it that works well in a mix: I know what I need to be doing (blending a subby tone eq'ed away from where the kick hits with a dirty one to give it some definition) but somehow cant make it happen, my five string sounds really uneven unless I compress it to poo poo. Should probably change the battery in my bass too.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 6, 2016

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Can anyone recommend a good "tape" vst? I want my programmed drums to sound a bit crappier/crustier, think Ross Robinson's 90s work kinda thing.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Wow that looks insane!

On a related note, anyone have any input on the Slate Digital stuff? I keep looking at it and dreaming.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Wank. Ilok just sucks, I understand why they would want it but its such an unfriendly system. Cubase's Authorisation Manager is bad enough without that layer of crap on top.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Thanks for the advice guys, will check those out!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
There's quite a few freebie drum samplers like that out there. What is it specifically about Battery's feature set you are after?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
May as well save and wait for Komplete if you don't have any other NI products as that'll keep you occupied for years. Could also see if anyone is selling licences for an older version?

Edit: was unaware of the below

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 14, 2016

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Its so bad that that is often the solution, buy something legitimately and then have to pirate it because owning it legally and 'proving' it is such a relentless pain in the dick. Whilst i dislike having a usb port wasted I'm actually a lot more on board with steinberg's elicenser than i thought I'd be cos once its activated thats it. Now if only they'd all collaborate so there was just the one dongle thing. And it was an optional free extra when you buy Komplete/an interface/usb noseflute that you can decline if you already have one.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I guess this is the right place for this question:

I've had a Nocturn Keyboard for ages, but only been using it in generic mode since i changed to Cubase 8.5. I have just updated automap to the latest version (4.10), followed the setup instructions, enabled my plugins, all that jazz. Perfectly copied all the screenshots.

The LEDs follow what i am doing on screen with the mouse, such as adjusting volume in mixer mode or a filter on Massive in instrument mode, and the transport buttons light accordingly.

My issue? The controls themselves do jack poo poo, the leds will follow an encoder when I turn it but it doesn't actually control the parameter and have an effect on audio- it seems like it receives messages but wont send them? Despite this, the keys work. I've tried every combo of settings i can think of and have followed the 'official' setup 3 times through.

I also tried calibrating the pitchwheel following the guide, it won't centre properly (in the digital realm- if a patch has +/-2 pb and i nudge it, when it physically centres it'll be at around -1.6 if that makes sense) but tbh i rarely use it so not super fussed on that.

Edit: turns out uf Cubase is being run as admin then automap needs to be too. Durrrr.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 15, 2016

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Thanks Kilmers, i did get it sorted eventually. Had used it with Live for yonks with no issue, already had automap versions of most of my 3rd party stuff. Cubase just didn't want to play ball until i reset the preferences and ran automap as admin too (using jbridge for a couple plugins which demands run as admin).

Seemed like signals were coming out but not going in til i changed the permissions.
The pitchwheel thing seems to be hardware, did the sysex dump on Wednesday after i posted and it didn't help. Oh well.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
A pitch to midi plugin may do it with a bit of funky routing to get your guitar and the sampler playing at the same time.

Though I've had it a while I've been digging under the skin of Zeta+ 2 and holy poo poo is this thing powerful!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Its definitely a "easy to pick up hard to master" synth- the basic concepts are well represented by the gui but that noise section alone puts a lot of synths to shame. If only he'd collaborate with NI for Absynth 6, and make it that usable, would never need another synth again.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Its loving awesome, get it. A bit weird initially (you can use either master fx OR sends, not both) but will make sounds you've never heard before.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The 'painting' is more refined that Alchemy which is nice. The various pitch modes it has are worth playing with. Its utterly replaced Absynth as my "weird texture generator". The female vocal noises you can coax are probably my favorite bit, feminine but not chipmunky. And some SAVAGE reese noises.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
"Reece" is a generalish term for that sort of weird tearing drum n bass bass sound; its a sort of detuned unison saws/squares distorted and filtered to hell and back, lots of filter modulation, and generally resampled. I think about 40% of the Dogs on Acid forum is about how to make them. It was originally used in a really old rave tune by Alex Reece (always forget if its a C or S there) which got used loads. Its almost like the synthbass equivalent of the Amen break.

Like the bass sounds after the fallout sample in this
https://youtu.be/Ab8RkX1_FVQ
(The guy is a sound designer as a day job, done work for EA before)

Absynth is, I found, best learnt by reverse engineering. Find a patch you like and gradually turn off sections to see what they are doing to the sound. Tbh i generally find a preset in the ballpark of what I want then fiddle with poo poo til it sounds good. Its a shame its so loving obtuse so there's nowhere near as many tutorials as Massive or even FM8. Small things like assigning envelopes are so much harder than they need to be, especially when there's so many parameters on there.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
General vst heads up; Waves gold bundle is stupid cheap (for Waves stuff) at the moment, $199 down from $799

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Not totally sure which thread is appropriate for this question but there's a lot of crossover in ML and i guess the majority in here use them so here goes:

I'm after a new Midi controller keyboard, I've had enough of my Nocturn Keyboard and all the dogshit that automap causes with Cubase. The features on most of them in my budget range (around 100 quid) seem to be pretty similar, 25 keys, some pads, a few knobs and maybe some faders. What's important to me is integration, Automap is such a loving faff, even after running the setup who knows how many times, and half the assignments make no sense (filter cutoff and delay times to a button is a fave of mine).

i don't want to build a bunch of custom maps or re-do all the existing ones, I want to be able to just click "learn", twist a knob and get on with making music. The Nocturn in generic mode is totally crippled for this.

The Nektar Impact LX25 seems to be pretty decent, I'm OK with a slightly convoluted auth procedure if it works afterwards. Anyone have any experience with this line?

I'm no pianist, the keys are mostly for auditioning sounds more than playing 2 handed parts.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'd love something like that but I don't have space for the 49 keys either, though it'd be great for Kontakt keyswitching jiggery-pokery.

I've had the Nocturn Keyboard for about 6 years, Automap worked with Live 8 ok but since I made the switch to Cubase it's just horrible. It refuses to let me use the mouse on wrapped parameters, no matter how I try to solve it, and it's a total oval office about Quick Controls which is a shame because the straight 8 rotary layout is perfect for them.

Seems like the Impact template for Cubase does 90% of what I want out the box. Most press reviews are positive for it.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Are there any vst synths where I can tune directly in hz?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Cool thanks, already have Absynth. I've been getting into binaural beats/meditation/pineal stuff and figured there's got to be an easier way than dicking around with cents and a tuner plugin! It's quite fun and relaxing to make, though the dogs disagree.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Will have to dig out my old Komplete 6 disks and reinstall it, thanks guys

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I've doing my silly binaural hippy music on Absynth and only today realised it wasn't right because I wasnt using the stereo version of the plugin :doh:

Still, listening to 'celestial frequencies' stopped me getting too mad about it

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
My issue with Serum is that little silence when you change patches. Otherwise its good.

As mentioned upthread I've been caning Absynth this past week and now I'm getting my head round the obtuse little fucker I think I'm in love with it a bit. I find myself missing the envelopes when I open anything else.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Don't know what version of Cubase 5 you have but Cubase Artist 9 has an array of cool synths with it, I am growing to love Padshop (assuming you are on a 64bit os).

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Drumlab is the tits too, it looks deceptively simple but sounds great and is eminently tweakable.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

well why not posted:

I really like izotope DDLY but it's pretty hard to wrangle

It would benefit from having a handful presets I feel, some jumping off points. The GUI is a bit of an eyesore too. I won't bitch too much cos it was free but I don't find myself reaching for it as often as I would if it was a bit easier on the eyes to figure out what's going on- even a palette swap would help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
For anyone who uses Izotope Breaktweaker I figured out a neat little trick with it that I wanna share cos its been bothering me for a while until I had a eureka moment last night.

You can layer up to 3 sounds on each of the 6 tracks, but what if you want to flick between 2 sounds on the same track? There's no velocity switching so that's out.

If you use a synced square lfo set to the same rate for both samples with restart turned off on the volume of each (with one of the lfos' phase set 180 degrees, or invert the volume handles on the sample) then you can get it to alternate which sound is heard. So you can in theory have both an open and a closed hi hat on the same track for that classic tickaTSStickaTSS dance pattern, or different tuned toms.

This might be blindingly obvious in hindsight but it's really opened the flexibility up for me now I can squeeze more out of one instance.