Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

cat doter posted:

I'm poor as gently caress so I usually just use the cockos stuff or the free stuff from kvraudio. The 'classic compressor' I got from kvr is ok, but I'd like a nice colour compressor for vocals, maybe something that isn't so harsh if you'll pardon the oxymoron.

Have you tried the reaper compressors at: http://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/

one is unlimited band and looks to be pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

bvoid posted:

Any recommendations for a cheap/free simple clean bass guitar VSTi? I have the amp VSTs and everything, so my only requirement is that it doesn't sound like dogshit and maybe has a bit of human-like variance to it.

There's this. http://www.dskmusic.com/dsk-bassz/. You would have to do the human variance part with some randomization in your daw though. I doubt anything in the free/cheap range would be able to do what you are after though.

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

Your Computer posted:

My god, there are so many.

How are they all free? :catstare:

No idea. I love DSK though. Most of their stuff is really good for being free.

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

http://outputsounds.com/products/signal/

Oh my god, this sounds so good. A friend of mine bought it and he absolutely loves it.

So is this the new Dune2/Nexus? Anything in particular that makes this special?

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

Your Computer posted:

Digital Sound Factory who has the rights to sell the original samples from old E-mu stuff and such has redone their website from scratch, and to celebrate they're giving out a 72-hour 30% discount with the coupon NEWSITE30...

...except the coupon doesn't work and makes the checkout throw a huge red SQL error. Great new site you got there, DSF :thumbsup:

:( And I've been eyeing their orchestral and piano sounds.

precedence
Jun 28, 2010
Wow, redux looks super cool. Im not really sure i need it though. And renoise looks like a daw for someone who grew up on command line and is super cheap. I've never seen it before. I might buy it just for novelty.

precedence
Jun 28, 2010
I think you could switch patches by midi with synth1 using the patch up/down buttons. I would have to test it though. Synth1 is super cpu light and super powerful while still having a very approachable interface. Also its free.

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

peter gabriel posted:

Replying to myself but I just had a moment of clarity and bought an actual glockenspiel :v:

you can't get "real-sounding" if it's just plain real. :colbert:

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

I posted a bit in the home recording thread but figured this was more suited here. I mainly work with guitar and stuff not so much synths. What's everyone's favourite "colour" plugin for guitar? I've been using Modern Analoguer on my dirty tracks. I don't even know what it really does. Adds a bit of low end and "smooths" the fizz? I dunno, it makes it sound different. Not sure if I prefer it but it does a thing.

I'm not looking for a silver bullet to make a mediocre track great, I'm just curious whether anyone has a "secret sauce" plugin they find adds a certain je ne sais quoi.

If you want to pay there's Amplitube or Hardcore. Amplitube I think has some free amps, but then you can do micro transactions for other amps. Or for free you can check out all these. I think Ace is okay but I haven't used it very much at all. It was just for a few minutes while my friend loned me a usb guitar interface. It's going to be hard/pricey to get a great amp sound through simulation though, that's why pro studios have tons of amps everywhere.

precedence
Jun 28, 2010
I remember when I first found synth1. I thought it looked terrible, but then I found it had a huge following online and now I'm in love. It does look terrible, but you learn to love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

Lester Shy posted:

This is probably old news for anybody in this thread, but I just discovered that owning a Focusrite product gives you access to one free Addictive Keys instrument of your choice.

Oh nice, thanks for the PSA.