Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Here's a free compressor that got a lot of love at Gearlsutz, http://vladgsound.wordpress.com/plugins/molot/ I've been using it for a while.Plus its pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Trig Discipline posted:

DontCrack is doing a group buy thing for their Plug and Mix series. It starts at $199 for everything, but if enough people sign on it goes down to $99.

http://www.dontcrack.com/news/2013/03/pm-group-buy-promo/

Does anyone know if their stuff is any good? $99 for 40 plugins is very attractive if they don't suck.

You can get one free allready http://www.plugandmix.com/nfr/ the installer has all the plugins to test if you like. I got the retro EQ and I've liked and used it a bit.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

RandomCheese posted:

Is there a general consensus on the best free or low price EQ plugin? I like the look of the fabfilter pro-q but $200 is more than I want to spend on a single vst, is there something similarly worthwhile in the sub $50 market?

I don't know how it ranks up but I've been using this http://www.ddmf.eu/product.php?id=0 because I'm poor.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

HollisBrown posted:

How do you like that EQ? I've been looking for an EQ with a built in Spectrograph. Is it a CPU hog?

Certainly beats Cubase 5.5s EQs and it is easy on the CPU aswell.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
There's much nicer stuff than Synth1 available for free, http://www.u-he.com/cms/tyrelln6 for example.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

cat doter posted:

Anyone know of a free VST that sounds similar (but better quality, obviously) to the one in this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZMWszd5SRk

I've been looking around the net all day but can't seem to find anything that sounds right.

You could try looking for 90's rompler/workstation samples, that's what it was probably originally done with.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

cat doter posted:

Sorry, I'm stupid, I meant the organ specifically. I quite like how it sounds and I'd like to replicate it.

Well it all sounds like it came from the same box, just throw a crappy organ sample in to a sampler and go from there?

W424
Oct 21, 2010

AxeBreaker posted:

The waldorf has no keyboard, and I'd be using mycheap, lovely samson keyboard to control it until I get something better. I want the features they have but I think I'd miss the tweak-ability of analogs.

Any thoughts?

Waldorf(s) are fully programmable from the front panel and every/most parameters are cc controllable. The Pulse being a pretty simple synth wouldn't even need a controller, if you need one I'd suggest NOT getting a bcr2000 (unlabelled rows of knobs suck unless you'll only use it for one purpose). If you have ipad/iphone/etc you could make a controller pretty easily as it's just cc, and have the controls grouped and labelled any way you want.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
http://www.xils-lab.com/pages/XILS%203%20LE%20V2.0.html only 4€ if you are a cheap bastard.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I have a annoying problem with Guitar Rig 5 (as a VST, happens in Cubase 32bit and Live 64bit). Everytime I re-open the plugin it defaults to a init patch and to the root of preset selection, the workaround is to save and resave the preset when editing. Real cool when you have a complex setup and forget to save it. This has been happening aslong as I've used it, none of the updates have fixed this.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I've had Alchemy since 2009, really cool synth but I don't think I ever used it on an actual song.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

0dB posted:

You'll most likely get them with the next version of Apple Logic.

It would be pretty cruel to put Alchemy into a DAW that no one uses.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

RandomCheese posted:

:respek: Logic bros 4 lyfe.

What DAW are the cool kids using in 2015? Have we circled back around to trackers yet?

Trackers were coo a while back, cooledit 0.7 for the freshest trap beats, soundforge (4 or earlier) for ambient.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wow... to write in Sound Forge is kind of :stare:

I assumed the Burial interview was just bullshit/joke. It wasn't?

W424
Oct 21, 2010

0dB posted:

Using Paulstretch is a big no no in the 'serious drone fraternity' apparently. But it's really excellent for making nice looping samples with clean pitch. Just about anything sounds like clever synthesis.

Holy lol "serious drone fraternity".

W424
Oct 21, 2010

LordPants posted:

ahahahahahahah

Seriously, how do you make drone and ambient, are there any sweet VSTs for that kinda thing?

Reaktor/absynth, press a key and slip something between the keys or put a brick on the keyboard. Let run for ~17 mins.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I use it here and there, but not just plopping a justin bieber song in there at 800% stretch. Layered and processed with other stuff etc

Edit. There's also Akaizer that does akai style timetstretching, instant ATR/matrix scream.

W424 fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 22, 2015

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Awesome, maybe this will unfuck my guitar rig & kontakt 5 update.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
It looks like a PS2 music game or something, should pair well with the SLAM DAWG

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Swagger Dagger posted:

They're well coded...

I've had all kinds of weird poo poo happen with their plugins. Prophet V randomly defaulting to init patch and de-registering itself being the worst so far.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

64bit_Dophins posted:

I've been trying to get Massive to do acid and it just isn't right.

It isn't, you should not pressure anybody to do it if they don't feel mentally prepared and have solid grasp of the effects and duration of the experience.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

I posted a bit in the home recording thread but figured this was more suited here. I mainly work with guitar and stuff not so much synths. What's everyone's favourite "colour" plugin for guitar? I've been using Modern Analoguer on my dirty tracks. I don't even know what it really does. Adds a bit of low end and "smooths" the fizz? I dunno, it makes it sound different. Not sure if I prefer it but it does a thing.

I'm not looking for a silver bullet to make a mediocre track great, I'm just curious whether anyone has a "secret sauce" plugin they find adds a certain je ne sais quoi.

D16 decimort/devastor (both v2 now) and slightly crank the preamp, works on just about everything.

edit. missed the "for guitar" bit, whoops.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
https://www.u-he.com/cms/tyrelln6

Free, sounds good, doesn't look like dogshit

W424
Oct 21, 2010

wayfinder posted:

I bought Komplete 7 and I haven't yet felt the need to upgrade (it's at 10)

Same, upgraded kontakt & guitar rig seperately when they were on sale. If 11 has reaktor 6 I might get it.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

LordPants posted:

I have been pleasantly surprised by Arturia's new licence manager not loving ruining everything, to be quite honest.

I'm still having it loving up Prophet V license the last time I tried it couple of weeks ago. Randomly changes to init patch and launches a nag screen.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

There's probably five or six different threads I could post this question in, but hey this seems like as good as any of them: anybody have a midi controller with a bunch of rotary encoders that work well as a knob box for synth plugins? I've been looking at the Behringer BCR (which I'm not wild about) and the MIDI Fighter Twister (which is $$$) but I'd love to hear some other recommendations.

I used to use a Novation zero SL mkI for a bunch of synths, was pretty handy because of the dual displays and 8 faders for 2xadsr. Build quality wasn't too impressive but still liked it much better than the bcr. Now I'm all Push.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

I'm an edgy contrarian :c00lbutt:

The analog madness has gone too far. Let us embrace DIGITAL and start making some new innovative synths. We literally have the technology!

Unironically this, super simple analogs that everyones making these days loving suck.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Joe Bogan posted:

Probably anathema in the vst thread but just buy a standalone drum machine from the late 80's / early 90's. You'll spend less than you would on a soft synth and get something cooler that does this exact job.

I have a hard time seeing how getting a box to playback a limited number of samples (that are available for free) is cheaper than software. Not including the inputs you would need in order to process it beyod having all the drums in one stereo track.
I had my favorite cheapo drum machine, yamaha ry-30, about a decade ago and the hardware was a hinderance apart from looking 80’s cool.
I still use samples from it but with Lives drumrack, layering and processing is roughly 100000 times easier.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

PlatinumJukebox posted:

Arturia has a bunch of stuff on sale right now, is there anything worth picking up? I have Analog Lab already, but Pigments looks interesting.

Pigments is good, especially if you don’t already have serum etc. OB-Xa is ok.
From the v collection, Dx7,cmi,solina,cz maybe easel/synthi if youre into that kind of thing.
Definetly wouldn’t buy their older/analog stuff, they have updated the engines but they are mostly pretty average. I have v collection 7 and mostly just use the digital ones.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Valhalla also has a hella good free reverb, I use it alot more than shimmer.

https://valhalladsp.com/shop/reverb/valhalla-supermassive/

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Moogs posted:

Is the complete Soundtoys pack worth it or just Decapitator? Looks like they’re all on sale now.

Keep in mind the plugins are old as poo poo at this point, no vst3 versions.
I don’t use much of the collection anymore and don’t particulary like decapitator (bought it for decapitator back in the day).

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Tayter Swift posted:

Korg is releasing the Opsix and Wavestate as VSTs:
https://youtu.be/GZuIwbjhHaM

Got all excited, then I saw the price and noped the gently caress out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Lore Crimes posted:

Arturia appears to be sending around emails to pigments users offering V Collection 8 for $149, so heads up on that.

Tempting, but really missing the inclusion of the sq-80 which I'm assuming will make it into 9. Based on people's past experiences, likely to come out on top or even with a later sale on upgrade price? Or are the good deals mostly just for new people. I know it is insane to be hung up on this considering the number of synths in there but all the same...

I’ve bought stuff outside the current collection and it has allways been reflected on the upgrade pricing.