Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Anal Surgery posted:

So my dad bought me a copy of Ohmicide for my birthday. It's one of those VSTs that creates instantly interesting results just dropping it in but has an overwhelming amount of elements to play with if you want to "master" it. Those of you who use it, do you typically add it to an effects chain dedicated to one synth (or drum kit) or do you throw it on a Return track and send multiple synths through it. Right now I'm in the baby steps learning phase so I'm experimenting with both. Also if you know of any in depth tutorials on it, feel free to share.

edit: This is a pretty good intro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwtpa6RFZnQ

Either way can be useful. It has a wet/dry balance so you can make it less brutal and ovepowering. Generally I use a little bit on bass sounds with the bottom end having no processing on it, then blend in a little bit. Makes phasers and whatnot have a really pronounced effect. EQ going in has a big effect, have a play :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Aaaw I have been waiting months hoping to pick up FabFilter Pro-Q2 on sale and only bundles have a discount way to dash my hopes fabfilter :( I would love either pro-q or audiodmg equality but they are just a bit out of my price-range, I understand the logic of not offering discounts as small companies to avoid devaluing your product, but gently caress I want a christmas miracle.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

NonzeroCircle posted:

Can anyone recommend a good "tape" vst? I want my programmed drums to sound a bit crappier/crustier, think Ross Robinson's 90s work kinda thing.

Tonebooster Ferox or Reelbus might be useful, and cheap. If you use good quality color compressors you can often make things crustier quite well. Or slight bit reduction (keep the sample rate high tho).

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

What was the DAW that got bought up and re-released as a free product recently?
I want to help a mans learn a thing and am looking at options.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

muckswirler posted:

it's called bandlab

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Trig Discipline posted:

Not a particularly old computer; it's a 2015 MBP with 16 gigs of RAM. I seem to mostly have problems with plugins that have a lot of moving elements in the GUI. Not just the Arturia stuff, but they're some of the most problematic. Among the Arturia plugins it seems like the Buchla is the worst offender.

e: Huh, now I wonder if it might be the graphics switching that's doing it. I'll experiment a bit.

My understanding is Bitwig doesnt use the graphics card processing power to create its GUI etc, some people with macs running into issues, especially w 4k setups. Big thread in the bitwig forum (KVR) if you want to trawl it.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Your Computer posted:

Also with this being the season of discounts I decided to check if Bitwig has gotten any cheaper.. "SAVE UP TO 100$" oh that sounds nice

....except the upgrade from Bitwig 1 is actually just a 20$ discount. UP TO indeed :negative:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BitwigStu2Up1--bitwig-studio-2-upgrade-from-version-1-download
$169

Someone does a massive crossgrade from another DAW deal too.

Bitwig 2 8-track will be out free with the next (I think) Computer Music.

I got 33% off with JRRShop ontop of the big chunk Bitwig takes off during the yearly sale.

Worth checking around :)

E:

Your Computer posted:

I think that's the regular price - it's 139 usd (or in my case 139 eur, because those are totally the same thing right? :sigh:) on bitwig.com right now

:doh: Practically sleep posting sorry

Perpetual Hiatus fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Nov 21, 2018

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Back to the Valhalla chat, now that people have had time to play with it further how are people finding Valhalla Delay? Does anyone have some solid tips for sitting it into the mix? I really enjoy playing with it, its really musical and responsive - but it doesnt seem to fit in the mix that well as an effect opposed to an instrument if that makes sense? It might be that I am so accustomed to my old jank but it doesnt want to be back in the mix compared to said jank, I feel like I'm missing something? Probably obvious?

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Oldstench posted:

Just a reminder, you can click on the Mix label and lock the mix amount at whatever you set it to while you switch presets.

Thats a handy tip.

I realized that partly I was just too accustomed to my old delay, which was thinner and would eq each feedback loop (so delays would get change in timbre each repeat making space in the mix), and also because of the richness of the delay setting the return channels volume a fair bit lower allowed me much finer control over the mix w/send levels. Valhalla also sits much better in busier contexts. So easy to forget simple things. Especially moving to new tools. E: Thanks for the suggestions too btw.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

So Math posted:

Novation is giving out Serato Sample LE keys if you register their hardware. https://novationmusic.com/en/news/sound-collective-serato-sample-le

I understand the idea of Lite tasters, but the fact the 'Favorite' button is disabled (meaning that you cant lock a pad to a region youve selected) alongside the fact that the un-disableable 'fill EVERY pad with random poo poo giant button' being below the pads is probably a hard limit on how useful this could be, at least for me. Digital needle-drop sampling is actually a really cool idea though I think, especially in a DJ+ type setup

\/\/\/
I thought about it more, I suspect the 'LE' is the functionality left once the 30-day-demo expires. Was worth a gamble tho - nice to have a trash-boot to test things, as well as a stable and streamlined music-boot.

Perpetual Hiatus fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 7, 2020

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Most of the cheap stuff doesnt get a good rap. There are older libraries you can pick up cheap but often its because what counts as 'realistic' is so far past the benchmark when they started. Its complicated and arduous to record that kind of stuff well and then turn it into something usable/playable.

If you combine a few libraries together you'd probably get closer, bunch of free .sfz (or kontakt instruments but might need reload every 15 minutes on free version depending) and things as layers. Quick google pulled these for example.
http://virtualplaying.com/virtual-playing-orchestra/
https://vis.versilstudios.com/vsco-community.html
https://projectsam.com/library-category/the-free-orchestra/

Combine some of those with free/cheap single/solo instruments for each instrument section (like a focal point, and the rest supports the feel of it being a bunch of instruments all playing together)
https://performancesamples.com/soloviolinlegato/

and youll probably get somewhere fairly alright - especially if you are really working the CC automations (so the volume and vibrato etc move more like an actual instrument instead of static)

If it needs to feel orchestral but is in a modern context then something like SoundIron Hyperion seems solid, I think the smallest version is 49$ and works with the player, has upgrade path etc.
Theres a few companies who do massive discounts as well via resellers or being on email list but I cant vouch for the quality. See first paragraph. Also black friday a heap of that stuff goes heavy discount.

I dont do orchestral compositions but thats my .02$

>>I think that Kontakt Player can load any patches but they time out after 15 minutes,. Hyperion offers a crossgrade Kontakt to I think.

Perpetual Hiatus fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 10, 2020

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

https://freakshowindustries.com/mishby

I had a blast playing with the demo of this, it actually provides a lot of visual feedback on whats happening - just in a very very unconventional way.
They are definitely doing whatever it is theyre doing.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

im_sorry posted:

I have the other Freakshow Industries plugins, and they're awesome. Backmask is fun on drums, although I haven't really tried it on other instruments. Dumpster Fire makes anything you add it to sound creeeeeeeeeeepy. I stole a copy of Mishby for now, since I'm still figuring out how to actually use it. Once I do, though, I'll pay for it, even if I have to do it in installments.

The Crimehole is such a beautiful idea, making people explore why they choose not to pay but letting people have access options and not devaluing their work (all at the same time).

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

DreadCthulhu posted:

Anybody got a favorite vibrato VST they swear by that can be nicely automated?

I just bought this, seems nice tonally. On sale the price is fair I reckon.
Gave it a quick test and did some automation, all the parameters automate (at least in Bitwig) but if you swap the algorythm on either side it clicks. It does this by hand too but whatever. Rest of it seems to automate alright. Can swap between tempo sync and not which I like.

https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/4123-Tube-Modulator

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

I played with kontakt and reaktor players to see if I should get komplete 12 select or kontakt 6, and they both seemed really bad. Like, most of the instruments that came with them didn't make me want more, they made me want to use serum or ableton's analogue or vprom or whatever instead

And that's my story about not buying anything during NI's latest sales

Heres my NI sale story.

I bought Kontakt 6 this sale, you can cross-grade then get 1/2 off the crossgrade price. Got a rad Kontakt Player library from a developer SoundIron whose approach I love for 40$ and saved a few hundred. Theres a lot of really great organic/live/acoustic instruments and timbres available once you pony up. Primarily because NI makes (or used to, not sure if its still that way) it brutally expensive to make Kontakt Player libraries, so you need to pay the piper to buy the libraries 3rd parties develop and sell.

Some dude making a vibratoed double bass ensemble that you can move from 3-16 players fluidly in real-time using the mod wheel, or the particular type of piano tone that you want, even a piano thats systematically destroyed piece-by-piece and recorded at each step . A (THE) dude with a Stradivarius violin. Or some kind of weirdly specific niche-poo poo. Once I bought Kontakt 6 I bought SoundIron Cacophony, after 20 years recording orchestras and instruments so exhaustively they put all the unusable but worthwhile weird bits in a library, tuning up sounds, ambiences, fuckups. I dig it.

Even at that price its a lot to pay as a multi-sample player so you can purchase multi-samples. But its nice to finally pay the piper. I've bought a lot of Kontakt libraries over the years ;)

Ps. Just hyped, i always dreamt that a sampler meant I could just sample an orchestra. That idea blew my mind, my results were perhaps not orchestral quality. The built-in Kontakt libraries are likely a decent approximation of organic/acoustic instruments, but I suspect its all more appealing when you supersize to the Komplete meal for just a few dollars more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

If you buy a Kontakt Player-compatible instrument you can buy a 'crossgrade' version of Kontakt for a lot cheaper, and then halved during the sales. I paid about 100$ I think.

All the NI things are expensive so it seems like a great idea to supersize your order to the Komplete ecosystem.