Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

http://www.x-buz.com/BuzCompFree.html These are my favourite free compressors. Features hard and linear compressors and a 3 band version of each.

Grancomp in particular is on nearly every channel of my tracks. It's super low cpu, has selectable saturation types, multiple types of gain reduction, a built in limiter and good monitoring.

These are the best distortion plugins I've used: http://www.mokafix.com/en/effects-overview.html. All recreations of actual guitar pedals, but sound awesome on synths (and some on drums, particularly the sentor). The shop seems to be shut now, so I suppose they're free if you can find them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Any love for synthedit? I love being able to make a synth exactly to the specs I want, or just some stupid one off thing for a wierd noise. I use a bunch of crap I've made it in regularly:

This is my simple sine bass plugin, just an amp adsr and a pitch one (with some special toggles).

This is a pulse wave synth with a variable fm oscillator, with envelopes for pitch, pulsemod, filter and fm. Makes some unique noises on top of regular va duties. I don't use this so much anymore, as I've replaced it with...

Still a work in progress obviously, but I've used the wip versions on so many tracks it sticks around. It's probably finished enough except for making it look ok. It's your regular virtual analog with loads of voices, modulation sources, variable filters and extensive fm options.

field balm fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 2, 2013

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Anyone have any idea about software or vst to use midi pads to control a step sequencer? My Akai LPD8 has 4 banks of pads and can be on/off (with light up pads to indicate), it would be cool to be able to sequence some stuff from it.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Agreed posted:

FREEBIES!

http://www.kvraudio.com/news/kvrdc14-donations-closed---final-total-announced-27245

Check second place, that EQ+comp is fantastic. I love that guy's plugins! Still need to audition some of the amp sims (been busy as hell and not with audio stuff, hah).

I used that meek 60's thing on a drum bus for a kinda BOC-ish song and it sounded great.

E: this one is from a year or two ago but I found out about it because of the developers entry this year: http://www.soft-amp.com/softamp-3od

Great single stage valve preamp emulation

field balm fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 7, 2014

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I was wondering if anyone with the full version of rob papen's distortion plugin could weigh in about how useful all the different distortion algorithms are - specifically, the quality of the saturation and tube ones, as they're really all I can see myself using. I've got the CM version and find myself using it often for the flavorsome filters and the stereo widener, but I don't really use the distortion module except for the radio emulation, or with an lfo sometimes for weird modulation.

Basically, I like the plugin a bunch, and feel like I should probably buy it, but there doesn't seem to be any reasons for me to use the commercial version over the CM version!

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

So I bought Toneboosters Track Essentials pack (http://www.toneboosters.com/trackessentials) today, after having used the free versions of the bitcrusher (time machine) and saturator (ferox) for pretty much my entire producing career.

For about $30 Australian, I would have payed it just for nicer interfaces for the two freebies, but you get eight(!) plugins for the price. I've already started using the comp instead of my old standbys, but without even touching the de-esser, eq, modulation, reverb etc I'd already recommend it. For my money, tb time machine is probably the best bitcrusher out.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

W424 posted:

I assumed the Burial interview was just bullshit/joke. It wasn't?

Yeah I was also convinced it was full of poo poo, but I haven't read that stuff in a few years. The whole "I just move things in soundforge till it looks like a fishbone" thing was taking the piss, its obviously just quantized and heavy swing with a few manual elements over the top. I think it's similar to aphex where the majority of his material is made in a (fairly) conventional manner, and the production bullshit just adds to the myth/mystery.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

Decided to go ahead and upgrade to K10 anyway. It's my birthday drat it.

Also picked up Redux: http://renoise.com/redux

I've always liked Renoise for loving with samples and this makes it a lot easier to do that without having to do everything in a tracker. It's worth checking out if you want something to intricately/individually mess with samples. Having an easy way to pan individual notes is already a big plus for me.

Goddamn this looks awesome, i need it yesterday. Can you route other audio through the fx section? What is the cpu use like?

Is shortcircuit 2 still the recommended free sampler? Something about the ui makes me never want to open it, even though i love the step lfo thing. If cockos would just add a filter and filter adsr to reasampler i would just use that all the time.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

Replying to myself but I just had a moment of clarity and bought an actual glockenspiel :v:

sliderule posted:

This is how I ended up with an actual Kalimba. Although FM synthesis gets close, it can lack character, and samples can be mega boring. Also it's super easy to mic with a peizo pickup.

Add me to the list, $10 at the dollar store got me all the tambourines, shakers and hand cymbals I could ask for!

I'm posting to maybe warn people about using Minimal System Instruments plugins with reaper - I just had to do massive mix surgery on a few songs that had somehow started sounding like poo poo - turns out their Stereo Buss Compressor sometimes doesn't save its state, or resets to the default preset for some reason. But only occasionally? Anyway, I'm not gonna use it anymore. I dunno if this was a host issue or what, but beware!

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Gotta give some props to the Charlatan soft synth. I thought it was a bit limited to start with but I've been using it for nearly all my subtractive synth stuff lately. The noise section rules, and it is just the right kind of simple. http://www.blaukraut.info/

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

wayfinder posted:

I just made the grave mistake of trying to update my z3ta+2 installation. Here's the rundown, addressed to Cakewalk on twitter:

In summary, back up your user presets before you update.

This kinda stuff is literally the worst. This is why I don't update anything unless im doing a fresh system setup and won't use your plugins if the install is anything other than a zip containing a dll file.

Anyone got a rec for a good spring verb? Cheap or free would be ideal. Was enjoying the free Devil's Spring but it crashes reaper when i try to render!

field balm fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Dec 15, 2015

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I have a feeling that this question has been asked before, but: what's a good, simple, OSX compatible 2-oscillator subtractive softsynth for a beginner? I'm working through the Syntorial demo, and it wants me to find a 2-osc synth with one of those mix knobs and amp envelopes. Unfortunately, basically nothing is labeled the same way Syntorial is, so I can't tell what maps to what between their synth and whatever I'm messing with. I've found a few, at least whatever there is for OSX, but they're always really confusing and it's hard to tell what does what.

Also, is it just me, or do synth VSTs not have a "reset everything to default" button anywhere? :(

edit: Don't say Synth1, it's really bad.

I'd recommend charlatan - imo it really should replace synth 1 as the defacto first free synth. Nicer layout and gui, doesn't have the built in effects. http://www.blaukraut.info/

Also the reset thing is really annoying - the first thing I do with nearly all synths is make a basic 100% sustain sine or tri and save it as the default preset.

E: i've got no idea if it works on osx sorry

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

Tonebooster Ferox or Reelbus might be useful, and cheap. If you use good quality color compressors you can often make things crustier quite well. Or slight bit reduction (keep the sample rate high tho).

Ferox is great, I'll vouch for it. The thirty dollar bundle it comes in has a really neat bit crusher as well. The '12 bit legends' (or similar) preset is nice before ferox for some grime.

I've been using this freebie called 'art tape hell' or something that is pretty nasty in a good way also.

Anyone got a recommendation for a vsti under fifty bucks? Just looking for a subtractive with a bunch of modulation options, something like charlatan but with a mod matrix would be ideal. Maybe at this price point I'm best to stick with freeware?

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Thanks for the suggestions - I haven't tried helm, and I think I have issues of cm that include synthmaster (the gui for curve didn't really click when I first tried it, but I'll give it another shot).

I really wish the gui for crystal was nicer, it's a beast but it takes me forever to patch.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Oldstench posted:

Unfiltered Audio is giving away their Indent distortion plugin until the 15th. You have to register, but it's still a good deal.
https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products/unfiltered_audio_indent.html

This is a really nice sounding distortion, especially for this price. Don't sleep on it!

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Thats awesome, gently caress ilok especially. I wont buy stuff with anything more than a one time drm check.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

So whats the cheapest way to get reaktor? I dont really want any of the other ni stuff, tbh

E: actually i wouldnt mind fm8 either

field balm fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 28, 2018

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I bought waves l1 and the 1176 comp at 40 percent off (so $30 each) and they gave me a voucher for a free plugin, valid for anything thats $30 with the 40 percent off sale. Any recommendations?

Producing 95% electronic music. I already own the redd Abbey road console emulation too. The Abbey road chamber reverb sounds kinda interesting. Is the waves element synth any good?

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

NonzeroCircle posted:

I spent a little time with Element and didn't find it did anything spectacular, not a bad synth by any means but there's so many VAs out there. It really depends on what you already have. FlowMotion, the FM synth may be worth a look though I haven't tried it, just to expand the pallette a bit.

In the $30 range:

-H Delay is a very solid workhorse delay that does clean as well as character.
NLS is good for adding some grumpiness to overly polite sounds if you want more 'analogue' in your sound.
Infected Mushroom's Pusher is great all round to liven stuff up, whether on individual sounds or on busses. It's a multiband exciter/clipper/makebigger-er
https://www.waves.com/plugins/infected-mushroom-pusher
MetaFilter is fantastic, loads of options there to be as subtle or as brutal as you want. (assuming like me your DAW has er, lackluster stock filters. Come on Cubase, that's like the one thing you need to sort out now stock plugin-wise)
DBX160 is rude if you want a character compressor

Ruffian Price posted:

Kramer Master Tape is discounted to $30 as well! I love that loving thing, it adds an amazing crunch to transients when pushed. You can just link output gain to input and treat it like a saturation knob. Fantastic on drums, but not subtle enough IMO to use on actual masters

Yo thanks for the quick replies! I'll get some demos for these and try them out. Metafilter sounds pretty cool, I don't have any creative filters other than talfilter.

I'll try out the Kramer tape too - I have a couple of saturation plug ins but nothing I'm in love with.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I've been an eye out for upgrades on my 7 year old cheap laptop and have just been offered an amazing deal on a new MacBook, like 1/3 of the price. However I've always used Windows and not sure if I should just keep looking for a Windows laptop to ensure all my software works. A few Qs for any mac producers:

It looks like reaper runs natively on Macs now, anyone used it on there?

What's the deal with plugins? My brief googling shows that .vst files are fine but .dll stuff is Windows only. I think most of my paid plug ins will work but I do rely on a lot of older freebies, no bridge or wrapper or anything to get those to work?

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Any recommendations for Latin and African percussion? Mainly looking for clave and wood sounds, they don't need to be super realistic. Cheapish sample packs are fine, even just recommendations on drum machines to sample off YouTube would be good lol.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

What are y'all favourite free/cheap amp sims/bundles? I'm trialling bias fx right now but I'm not super impressed to be honest. Everything sounds scratchy. So far my best sound has been running some free dirt pedal plugins straight into cabinet irs lol. I don't really want to spend more than fifty bucks or something. Looking for medium to high gain, mid heavy tones

Secondary question, is there a certain input level amp sims expect? I usually just set up my input so it doesn't clip when I bash the poo poo out of the strings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

This is good info thanks! Sounds like maybe I was hitting the front of the vst too hot, I'll screw around with it tomorrow.

Agreed, thanks for all that too. Lots of stuff to try out, really helpful! I'll report back.