Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
Has anyone had experience with Korg Legacy Collection? Got an opportunity to pick it up on special for ~$100, but already have a physical MS20 - and also have a voucher that would let me grab Waves' Codex wavetable synth for ~$30. Anybody have an opinion on how Wavestation stacks up to Codex, or whether I should save up for a different one altogether? Using Pro Tools 11 so would have to run Legacy Collection via rewire or invest in a VSTi host.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

OK, great! Thank you both for your speedy replies. I'll just go the Legacy Collection. Unintuitive interfaces are actually my jam and what I've heard of Waves DRM is a turnoff. Cool to hear it's still usable, LordPants!

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Terribly sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I can't be the only one to just recently learn that Max/MSP has a subscription option, can I?

I'm tempted to try it out, but at the same time, I have next to no idea what I really could do with it. Which begs the question as to why I'm interested in it in the first place :confused:

They used to have a demo and I'd suggest trying it before committing. It's a great program and you can roll your own version of almost anything without much time or difficulty - not just for synthesis or sound processing but also as a sequencer or composition tool. But it takes a certain mindset. There is a massive amount of community support but 99% of the issues on the forum are just resolved by searching through your rat's nest for the one thing that's misfiring because you're sending the wrong info to it, and your tolerance for this will dictate how you do with it. It's probably the best program for building something impressive out of nuts and bolts without having to do any programming proper, though, and highly recommended if you have the mindset for rapidly prototyping things to suit specific applications.

My best advice for it is to debug each component/module as you go - it sounds like a hassle but it will save you hair-pulling moments. Beyond that probably put a limiter on the output to your DAC. Something that's saved my speakers many times. And if you use controllers, make it a priority to learn how to put midi learn sections in - it's way more fun that way!

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

For clarity's sake, wizkid, do you mean raising/lowering the volume of a continuous sound, or triggering one-shot samples with your guitar attacks? The first can be accomplished like Flipperwaldt mentions, or even hacked together with a sidechained compressor maybe. The second is a little more complicated...

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

It would still be drastically easier, generally, to mock up those new sounds in a modular environment like Max before implementing them into a plugin. You'd have an idea then of what the results SHOULD sound like. Then if the max version is computer intensive your plugin version will be a better solution, with better gui etc. Unless you have a hardware synth and you're planning on testing various patchings etc on that, Max and programs like it will probably be useful for you in finding your ideas and roughing them out.

The advice upthread is very helpful and makes me want to try converting some of my patches into plugin form. The process seems maddening without some reference point though...

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

minidracula posted:

KORG Legacy Collection? I already have an actual original MS-20, so the MS-20 plugin would just be for using it ITB, and I'm not sure how much I care about the M1 or Wavestation stuff... but it's a decent bundle cost-wise. I know others have talked about it here before in the past, just wondering what the general thread hivemind thought is on it.

I was in the same position as you and the thread advised me to get it - and they were absolutely right. If your plugin host still uses VST it's an absolute steal, and you might get surprising use out of the mono/poly etc., but given you've used an actual MS-20 I hope you're not expecting External Signal Processor support. That's really the major thing you're missing.

If you're just getting it to duplicate your MS20 ITB there's probably no closer alternative in terms of the actual interface. If you were feeling lux you could spring for the u-He 2-VCO one instead, which I believe has similar patching capabilities?

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

As mentioned, FM8 does it really well. Just set the operator ratio to 0 and enter the hz value in the offset field.

Alternatively, Audacity has a tone generator function! But that just makes an audio file lasting however long.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

Thanks to the poster who gave me some advice about string libraries in this thread or the synth thread - it was very helpful. Most of the stuff was out of my budget but it helped me find the Embertone ones which I can cludge together an appropriate sound with. Couldn't be happier!

Snowy posted:

I don't have much experience with VSTs, having mostly recorded from an ancient sampler and noise synths to 4 track. That said, I'm trying to expand my old horizons a little.

I have a bunch of sounds from field recordings that I want to use, for example a drawbridge that I recorded with a contact mic. The bass is good but the pitch goes all over the place. Could I autotune that to a consistent pitch, and assuming so, is there a good free vst that I should use? Most of them seem to be made to use with a melody, but I just want a fairly consistent pitch.

It's a little unwieldy, but Spear lets you manipulate the partials of a sound independently and it's free. You can time-stretch with it too. I think I misread your post thinking the bass and pitch were two separate things, but it might still be useful?

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

Trig Discipline posted:

Embertone makes great libraries, I own almost all of them.

e: I'm stupid, Mike is Realitone

Everything just sounds great and dry enough to work with whichever reverb, the interfaces are clear... I'm not a sample library guy but the Embertone website made me think "buying Kontakt might be a good investment". Oh god, I'm chasing the dragon again

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

blorpy posted:

I just got my electronic drum kit hooked up to my computer so I can finally ditch the Yamaha stock brain sounds. What's a good VST with some acoustic drum sounds? I've been eyeing Steven Slate Drums but I've also found EZ Drummer, Addictive Drums, BFD and Superior Drummer. Some of these are way outside my price range for now.

Also, I'd like to gently caress them up a little. Should I be looking for a DAW with stuff like reverb/saturation/distortion/ADSR? Is there a VST that does some/all of those things competently? I'm pretty new to processing drums so I don't really know what's used here and I'm guessing it all changes depending on genre.

I don't have a DAW yet. Between the drums and processing I'd like to keep my budget to $200-$300. Is that realistic?

You've had a really good answer just above, but for a bit of a left-field possibility you could consider getting Geist, which is a sampler instead of a drum plugin or a DAW. It's made by the BFD people and it's on half price sale right now. I imagine it would accept e-drum input pretty easily, and has recording mode, pattern mode, etc., so you can use it outside of a DAW as well as within one; it also has extensive capabilities for mangling your samples on multiple levels, from one pad at a time to one whole set - so you can compress a 'kit' once you have it set up. The interface is very easy to work with, and there's a lot you can do with it. That being said, although it does include a healthy amount of stock sounds and expansion kits for it aren't too expensive, it's probably not the first place you would go for realistic drum triggering - but it would be pretty easy to do once you got a good workflow going (eg. use velocity to modulate pitch for toms/kick, etc.), and you might be able to get surprisingly good results? IDK, I only use it for weird things but I'm very happy. You'd still have a goodly amount of money left over though.

To add something more directly related, I personally have BFD3 and I'm totally satisfied with it, but I use it mainly via the pattern/song editor where the humanise controls make it sound much more human. Obviously you're a real human so you'd be interfacing with it differently, but from my perspective (and as a person who doesn't have a strong ear for drum sounds tbh) it does everything I need for 'real' drums. There are expanders of all sorts of instruments including orchestral ones, latin ones, entire cymbal packs from reputed manufacturers, and you can actually download 'preview' versions of them without paying for them once you have BFD IIRC. Being the same company as Geist, it has similar FX options - you can run something like 6 effects on each kit piece, do custom sends to buses and put FX on those, then put FX on the master if you desire. There's options for tuning individual drums to the point of madness, things like choke amount, simulated tom resonance. You can customise kits and get all Peart. And it runs standalone too.

The real crazy person option here is Chromaphone, which is totally maddening to use and not at all a shortcut to realism in this particular circumstance, but it does do drums. It's just that you get one drum for each instance of the program, so to set up a full kit would require what, eight channels at least in your DAW? Can get computationally intense. And you have to have a separate instance for open and closed hi-hat, or maybe I'm just bad with it. But for strange sounds that occasionally go wildly out of control and threaten your ears and speakers? gently caress, yeah, sure. It's also very good for printing samples to then load into another program. I have no doubt there are people out there using Chromaphone to make sample sets for Kontakt etc.

Trig Discipline posted:

Buying Kontakt (actually Komplete) was one of the best things I've ever done for my sound and one of the worst things I've ever done for my wallet. Not because Komplete itself is expensive (for what it does it's ridiculously cheap), but because it opened up the door to buying SO MANY THIRD PARTY LIBRARIES.

Ruffian Price posted:

A lot of them work with the free Kontakt Player, not the indie ones though, since it carries a license fee for the developer. And you will want the full version sooner or later to do more in-depth editing of patches (adjusting releases, removing bum notes and all that).

It's good to know the full version has that kind of utility... I'm more than happy with the Embertone stuff so far but the amount of tempting third party stuff out there makes me think not all of it will be so well-programmed or expose everything useful to the UI. Thank you both, I'm committing to getting Komplete during the next sale - I get daily use out of FM8 as well and I'm starting to think NI might just be a good company???

Anyway, in the meantime that Soniccouture Balinese Gamelan set works with the player and sounds exactly like the real instruments. I thought I could recreate them in Chromaphone but no go, so the sample set will help me practice. I used to play in an ensemble and they really are remarkably close, right down to the tuning of the scales. Very excited!

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

Re: softsynths, Arturia Pigments is broadly comparable to Serum and has a free trial until July. You may find the interface suits you better, or not, but it's certainly straightforward to use, and there are tutorials available. The main benefit is the sheer amount of visual feedback on everything.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

crimedog posted:

It's that Free VST gift time of year

Arturia - Juno 6 Chorus
https://www.arturia.com/freegift-chorus-jun6
Will be interesting to compare this Arturia one to the TAL free version. And, I guess, to the guitar pedal TC Electronic did. Guess it's free because this particular market is very saturated atm?

Tangentially related question, does anybody have any experience with U-he Dark Zebra?

I have the Arturia Moog filter freebie from a while back, and also have Zebra 2, but not this expansion, which is on sale right now. Supposedly the Moog filters from Diva are included in ZebraHZ, but I already have a plugin for that, so unless the quality is significantly better, I'd essentially be paying for a bunch of patches (and a free upgrade in 2 years or so)? I know this goes against against the spirit of the thread, but I'm finding it hard to justify the purchase. Are the new additions worth it? Would love to hear, if anyone's used it before...

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

I love Lounge Lizard Session and haven't needed another Rhodes since I got it for about half of the price of this full bundle. There's not a great deal of presets but there's enough to cover most people's needs. The rest of their stuff can sound a bit clinical without additional processing but LLS is a real time saver for me generally and sounds remarkably good even without considering that it uses no samples and thus extremely little drive space.

Can't vouch so much for the other stuff in the bundle (demos didn't convince me), but I will say that I get a lot of use out of Chromaphone, by the same company. But the real fun with that one is in tinkering with the settings, and while you can play presets from it in the free player, no editing is possible that way. Same with all the preset packs here. If you're a tinkerer, this bundle will only whet your appetite for the full software... Which, coincidentally, is half price at the moment.

Caveat emptor, if your computer is as old as mine the CPU can get to cranking when you run a few of these modelling plugins, but these are generally less heavy than u-he stuff, iris or pigments in my experience.

free Trapt CD fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 14, 2021

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

ricecult posted:

Anyone have any tips on scala-friendly software? I've looked around and there are options, some expensive some not, but I was wondering if anyone here has any tips. It's frustrating having things I really like the Arturia collection and being limited in the tuning department, outside of doing something like resampling.

U-he stuff often has scala support, as do AAS products. It comes up in strange places, like Pianoteq supports scala scales and in the latest version even gives you details about which temperament it is, which is pretty nifty.

I thought scala was able to retune midi via pitch bend, either live or on a particular MIDI file? Clearly not ideal, of course...

E: also Arturia Pigments, Madrona Labs plugs, Plogue plugs, Melodyne (bizarrely enough)...

free Trapt CD fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 1, 2021

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

Is there a Hammond B3 VST/sample library anybody here can vouch for?

Don't need onboard effects or even a good Leslie - have all that covered already. Mainly hoping to use it for soul jazz, reggae, etc. but also the occasional rock/pop track when necessary (cf. those albums Felt did what have organ on them). Would like to be able to adjust drawbars myself, enable/disable percussion etc.

Have been using the AIR one which was free with Pro Tools but use it often enough I feel like I oughta invest in something higher quality. On windows and have kontakt. Modelling stuff absolutely ok but have an impression sample based will be best for this. Also not averse to more general organ collections and could always go for a Vox Continental, Farfisa, even a Solina, if those were also included, but if something's gonna take up 50gb of disk space it's a no go.

Would really appreciate any experiences or advice! Currently eyeing the Sound Dust one...

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

odiv posted:

Anyone have XO and tried it? I helped someone find Andrew Huang's video on it earlier in this thread, but I've never tried it myself.
https://www.xlnaudio.com/products/xo

It's come back on my radar because someone in a Discord I'm in worked on it, so I was thinking of getting it for myself this xmas. Something that helps me use all the one shots and poo poo I've accrued over the years is tempting.

edit: Forgot I had seen this plugin earlier, in this very thread even, so reworded.

You might not have a friend who worked on it, but there's another program called Atlas that's also on sale right now that does similar stuff and gets some rave reviews. Would give you less crossgrades etc to other stuff if that's something you care about, but you might end up liking it more, who knows.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

Somewhat related to the above, anybody know of something that can dynamically reallocate midi input within scales?

When I'm stuck with 16 pads or 2 octaves for input, chromatic input doesn't have enough room but using one scale note per pad means the range changes way too much when I use the octave up/down buttons. Would be cool if I could allocate some rotary CC encoders to move the starting step up/down chromatically, up/down within the scale by scale step, between scales, that kind of thing.

Seems like the kind of thing that would be a feature in some DAWs maybe? Haven't been able to find a VST for it at all. Gets to the point where I don't know if I'm searching wrong or if it'll just be simpler to build it in pd or whatever...

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

petit choux posted:

While searching I came across a couple programs that called themselves scalers that may suit your needs? I believe there also used to be such things in REAPER scripts, but those aren't VSTs.

And IIRC, way back in the day, both Asseca and Nicfit made VSTs that did nothing but various operations on MIDI. I think some of these may suit your needs. You should be able to find them on KVR and stuff.

Hmm. Thank you, this was a good lead. Searching for 'scaler' just leads to, well, Scaler. Capital-S. (They really locked down the market on that one huh?) But following up on your 'back in the day' suggestion led me to midiplugins.com, which revealed both that this has been a problem for 15+ years, and that the operative word I'm looking for here is 'remapper'.

Still searching, but this is some progress! Thank you.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

watho posted:

what DAW are you using? many have built in solutions for that type of stuff

I'm most familiar with Pro Tools, which probably doesn't help! But recently got a hold of Cubase 12, so if that's got the necessary stuff it's a fine excuse to finally learn how to work the drat thing properly. Also have 7 copies of Ableton Live Lite, but who doesn't these days?

petit choux posted:

Wow, it's so weird realizing I'm old this way. It looks like Asseca's plugins are pretty hard to find RN. I'll have to look into this, I still have them and one of his VSTs is pretty much in every project, his MIDI monitor.

In fairness, it's not like you're out here advising which hardware MIDI box from '87 will do the job! Bet there's someone out there with a .rar full of the plugins you're looking for...

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

FM8 is excellent, I've finished entire projects with that as the only synth. Plus the envelopes can be fine-tuned really well, to the point where it's excellent for sound design too. $10 is a no-brainer.

petit choux posted:

Cool, thanks!

I think I just located some more free(?) MIDI VSTs. J's MIDI Tools. I have not tried these. For the OP who was requesting a MIDI scaler or translator or munger or whatever, pls. take a look at these.

https://jstuff.wordpress.com/js-midi-tools/

Thanks for these, they're closer but still not quite it! I've been experimenting with Cubase's tools as well, as mentioned upthread, and increasingly feeling like my use case is bizarrely specific. At this rate it looks like I'll just have to roll my own in Pure Data or something, so that's a fun weekend project for... whenever.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

Feel I have to drop the obligatory link to Plogue ChipCrusher here as well! Plenty of algorithms and settings to play around with. (Generous free trial, also.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

Love to see hundreds of comments complaining about "the torches and pitchforks mob". Just a really solid, self-aware crowd this dude chose to align himself with there.

Suppose he's hoping one or two of them will buy a sample library instead of yet another pair of jackboots. gently caress the lot of them.