Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I got 25 Euros. Dunno what to get though. Are they combinable? I may have another 50€ voucher lying around in some inbox.

Edit: On the other hand, I already have Komplete, so it'd have to be some sort of sample thing... Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Everyone's different, I guess. I bought Live more or less on a whim, because I wanted to get a live gig sorted out. three and a half years later, still no gig :) but i pretty much instantly fell in love with the way you compose in it and it became my new main sequencer...

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I'll just leave this here: http://plugindiscounts.com/index.php?id_product=4407&controller=product

Waves Native Gold Bundle for $212 (yes.) Only today afaik.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
The website is too snake-oily for my taste – it reminds me of nothing so much as the Dr. Drum scam. edit: http://meterplugs.com/perception better

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I find the price a little steep for what it does, too. Even at 30% off it's a hundred bucks for a slight gain in convenience...

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Pixotic posted:

Could somebody recommend a VSTi in the same vein as Nexus? I love Nexus to bits but have found myself using it far too much than perhaps I should (literally every track in the last few years has at least one nexus channel)

I'm looking for something with a lot of presets, but also lets you roll your own with relative ease. Lots of bleep bloops and synth goodness.

Thanks!

Omnisphere.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
http://makingelectronicmusic.tumblr.com/post/84812977127/when-a-plugin-you-bought-is-turned-into-freeware :)

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

ghostofbox posted:

Is it pretty much impossible to make high quality stuff using only free plugins? I feel like I'm limiting myself, but I'm on Linux so I don't want to pay for a plugin that may not emulate correctly.

Absolutely not. There are tons of really awesome free plugins, both stuff with character and utilities.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

BKPR posted:

There are demos of both on the Madrona site. Fully functional except for occasional white noise.

And with the music they're designed for, nobody could tell that was unintentional.

wayfinder fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 9, 2014

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Recognizable paulstretch is seen by some as low-effort or boring/one-trick-ponyish. :keke:

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Project based work, yeah

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Hmmm K10 for a hundred euros. Tempting

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Live can assign more than one thing to any macro. You could set up the macro dials in your drum rack to map to every slot's tune, or decay, or whatever. That way, it's functionally identical to a master, albeit with a more involved setup, which you'd only do that once. Only affecting the last used hit is a different beast, though.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I bought jBridge so I could use 32bit plugins in my 64bit Live, but i keep the 32bit versions around (jbridge needs them to work anyway), in case i want to work with a different host that's still 32bit

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Ableton Live 9 removed symbolic link support in its browser (worked fine in Live 8). Is there an easy way to convert those to hard links? What are the drawbacks?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Record all you want! :)

There are really decent sample-based replicas of many physical instruments. These can be packaged as separate VSTs, sample packs, or libraries for various sampler formats. There are also some physical modelling VSTs that aren't sample-based. With drums, you'll have loads of options and it's really more a matter of finding the ones with the right sound, not the ones with the one true way of delivery. The easiest will in almost every case be getting raw WAV samples and dropping them in your sequencer natively (almost all modern music-making programs have a built-in sampler device).

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I just made the grave mistake of trying to update my z3ta+2 installation. Here's the rundown, addressed to Cakewalk on twitter:

quote:

Dear @CakewalkInc, I am currently having a bad consumer experience with you guys :( Trying to update z3ta+2...
1:48 PM - 14 Dec 2015

@CakewalkInc got wind of a new version a few hours ago, tried downloading it from my account page, d/l speeds like on a modem, incomplete

@CakewalkInc after a few tries, each hourlong, i got a full file, installed it, it put the VST dll in the wrong place without asking

@CakewalkInc also, z3ta+2 was now in Demo Mode & told me i'd need to install the "command center" to activate. at least that downloaded

@CakewalkInc there's no option to authenticate an existing install in the center, so it's now AGAIN downloading at a snail pace

@CakewalkInc overall rating of the experience so far: bad, bad, bad.

@CakewalkInc did I mention that the dodgy install also moved my Cakewalk Content folder?

@CakewalkInc also, in the Command Center the design of the tabs makes it look like all connected products are actually demo versions

@CakewalkInc oh, and now all presets are gone from z3ta+2. that's just grand.

@CakewalkInc and it produces no sound anymore even when I manually load factory presets. bravo, this has to be the worst product update ever

@CakewalkInc messing around in the registry i managed to make it load factory content, use arpeggios and produce sound. your code is bad.

@CakewalkInc I just realized that somewhere in this process YOU DELETED ALL MY USER PRESETS. what the gently caress

@CakewalkInc and as the final kicker, loading a project with z3ta+2 now gives me an error message and uses the default preset. all is gone.

In summary, back up your user presets before you update.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
http://www.u-he.com/cms/179-protoverb

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Voxengo SPAN is great, the only thing for which I still need Live's native analyzer is when I want to instantly see at which note (as opposed to frequency) I have my peaks. That information is not available in SPAN

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

64bit_Dophins posted:

What's the best '303 Emulator' VST? I've been trying to get Massive to do acid and it just isn't right.

Any explicit 303 emu will be good enough. People wanking over "accuracy" between the different flavors of emu can safely be ignored.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I bought Komplete 7 and I haven't yet felt the need to upgrade (it's at 10)

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
"Distortion" is a container for lots of different techniques, including waveshaping. Waveshaping is a container for lots of different techniques, including non-distorting ones.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I bought Komplete 7, and 11 still ain't making me wanna upgrade real hard...

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
You can probably do it with ReaPitch on the Master

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Lush-101 on sale rn, more than half off: http://www.pluginboutique.com/product/1-Instruments/4-Synth/413-LuSH-101

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Got Serum for my birthday, this looks like it's going to be fun! Not a super fan of the factory presets so far but it appears to be a real beast in terms of sound design possibilities

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Some of the things that Massive does better, as far as I can tell:

- CPU usage is way, WAY lower
- Three main oscs instead of just two
- Routing options
- Modulation combinations (not 100% sure about this one)

Otherwise, Serum is at least on par with it, feature-wise, and ahead in many ways.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

MrSargent posted:

You should join YourComputer and I by posting a Serum patch or checking out ours on the google drive link I posted. I'm probably going to create a Serum thread so more people can have easy access to the link.

Stupid aside, why is it "and I" and not "and me"?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Replika is a fun delay

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Dude Valhalla

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
They're all great! The reverbs especially so. I'm a huge fan of ValhallaShimmer

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

NonzeroCircle posted:

Is there a non-granular VST sampler that lets me control sample scrubbing via midi? I can do it with the mouse in Groove Agent but I'd love to be able to do that with a knob/modwheel.

Fairly sure Ableton's built-in Simpler can do that...

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I did a bit of tutoring with a friend who uses Reason the other day, and it was challenging... It was really very fiddly and finicky.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Hah, I can't upgrade my Komplete 7 to Ultimate 11 :(

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I can go Komplete 7 -> Komplete 11 regular -> Ultimate, which is an extra hundred or so?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
16 hours to go on the the Waves Platinum $199 sale: http://www.waves.com/bundles/platinum

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
https://twitter.com/audiorealism/status/906165814637801472

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Speaking of Native Instruments, I just took the plunge and bought Komplete 11 for a hundred bucks (upgrade from Komplete 7), they are having a Thanksgiving sale with 50% off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Welp, looks like I just picked up the V-Station & Bass Station bundle at plugin boutique for 15 bucks... And now I'm looking at ANA 2. :sigh: