Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Radiapathy posted:

UVI just released "Vintage Vault", which bundles all but one of their vintage synth libraries for $500 USD. Linking to KVR because UVI's site is getting slammed.

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/vintage-vault-by-uvi/details

(The missing one is the WaveFrame Sound Collection, which was a special collaboration with the current holder of the WaveFrame IP.)

I have already bought most of the included libraries, one by one. I got all of them during sales, but I definitely spent more than the current asking price, altogether. To lessen the sting, though UVI just emailed me a license to get the Vintage Vault for free, which will grant me the three remaining libraries I'd been holding out for, which is pretty cool.

I really like their libraries, because they mostly try to deliver new usable sounds with vintage hardware, rather than just give you a bunch of factory presets. Their more recent libraries also have cool scripted UIs.

How to these compare to things like FM8 and the Arturia replications? There's some great demos of Darklight but the others seem fairly spartan.

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Radiapathy posted:

Another twist is that beginning with Vintage Vault, all their libraries are now using FLAC compression, so the libraries themselves are literally half their previous size but allegedly sound the same.

So is it an apples and oranges kind of thing? I'm looking for new stuff to play with that doesn't sound too much like the stuff I've used (FM8, Massive, Absynth, CS80V, FMDrive, Diva). I kind of use one VST exclusively for two years and write ten songs or so, and then move on to the next. I like that cold 80s sound which is why this seems neat, but I always worry if things play nice with Renoise. VSTs that run in a container, like Reaktor, can be a little finicky.

I'll have to poke around on Soundcloud I guess. It looks like a fantastic deal that has more that interests me than Komplete did, and see if I have a place for it. I don't care for sampled stuff but admittedly it's been a while since I've tried one (I think Atmosphere was the last time I used something non-modeled).

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 3, 2014

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I bought it because I was tired of wanting it. Hopefully it proves useful (once I finally download it all).

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
Also a lot of the UVI catalog is on sale. I bought the whole Vault collection but the drum machine collection is easily worth the hundred bucks. The rest, your mileage may vary.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

LordPants posted:

I already have the Oberheim, if I was to buy one more of the Arturia synths are there any standouts?

I find myself using the Prophet and Arp2600 the least, but my favourites are the Jupiter and CS80v synths, by far. Aside from effects and the 707 percussion, everything here was made with the Jupiter and CS80v:

https://soundcloud.com/adamconcept/departures-1

I made it last week. I used the CS80v synth ages ago and I figured for two hundred dollars it's worth owning it for the two. I'll also toss in that the MiniV is a nice surprise and there's some great sounds to be made.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I picked up the Arturia bundle and was all excited because it was a great deal. Turns out it looks like you can only install it on one computer unless you want to take the USB dongle route and that's a bit of a :smith: None of the other software I own requires a dongle and it's kind of annoying.

I also picked up that Don't Crack effects bundle and so far it's pretty neat. The only non-built-in effect I have is the freebie Eventide released a short while back so it's nice to have some options besides the stuff that's built into Renoise. For fifty dollars I'm not complaining - I have some nifty alternative and easy-to-use compressors and equalizers. I know nothing about EQing and compressing aside from "turn knobs until it sounds better" so it's nice to have something this basic and low-profile. I don't see it getting much use from people who already have a collection of effects already, however. For fifty dollars, I can definitely tell you I'm not complaining.

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 23, 2014

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Auberginetuna posted:

Hey, did anyone here see the video that native instruments put up in regards to their new hardware controller? I did some digging,(AKA i did a google search) and it seems like it and Komplete 10 have been leaked in pictures from an online retailer in europe. Here are pics, incase you're wondering.

Do you guys think it's(the controller/komplete bundle) really worth the pricetag? Also, with those transport controls and the lights on the keys, it kind of looks like there's going to be a step sequencer.

I saw the video and the keyboard looks more or less like I expected it to. I don't think it's worth the price tag, but I already own Reaktor and FM8, not to mention the Arturia V collection and the UVI Vintage Vault. If I could crossgrade for a reasonable price, maybe, since I wouldn't mind some of the effects and Absynth. The larger keyboard's a little bit of a disappointment though since it doesn't really add pads or faders; I'd rather pick up something like a Korg MicroKontrol. And going with touch strips for modulation is kind of cheap.

I'm just going to assume that there are people who are heavily invested in the NI system, and this product is probably for them depending on how it integrates with their software and other hardware, and maybe trying to appeal to people just getting into music production as a one-stop shop. I can wait; I have a controller I'm mostly satisfied with and a good collection of VSTs that give me the sound I want.

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Aug 30, 2014

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Radiapathy posted:

Y'all got donglephobia.

I had to buy one after getting the Arturia V collection which was kind of annoying. NI and UVI let me install stuff on multiple computers, why won't you let me Arturia :saddowns:

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
Anyone get anything for Black Friday?

I picked up UVI's Toy Museum, Absynth and Razor, all for half off or more.

Tempted to get Monark but I already have UVI's Vintage Vault and the Arturia collection.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
Anyone have UVI's Biosphere or Xtreme FX suites? I received a gift voucher and those are probably the only two sets that interest me. I already have the Vintage Vault, Sweep Machine, Toy Museum, and Waveframe collections from them (they keep giving me vouchers - combined with all the deals over Christmas I really only paid for a couple of them). I already own most of the main NI software synths and Monark so something like their Electro Suite doesn't really draw me in right away, which is why the FX suite seems like it adds something new as opposed to more of the same.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
Updated to Windows 10 which has turned into a mini nightmare regarding iLok. The license manager refused to open on my machines, and after a few hours of figuring out why and what solution worked, it "duplicated" my hosts. So as soon as I logged in, even though there were zero changes to the device's hardware, software, or naming, I now have two instances of my laptop and two instances of my desktop in there, the downside being I only have three activations for most of my products, and two are being used on the "old" hardware. Anyone have any luck fighting around this? I've searched for information but I'll probably give up and contact their tech support. :/

On the upside, NI, as always, works like a charm with no hassle and Arturia now has a software center that lets me leave that stupid dongle in a drawer.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Anyone here use Omnisphere? From what I'm seeing, it feels like it'd be that one 'synth that really does it all'. Thoughts?

I tried it ages ago and really liked it - the sounds are diverse enough that you can usually find what you want. It has this nice, huge sound to most of its synths.

That being said I didn't find it as fun to use as FM7 (at the time) but that is completely subjective. I was coming off of using Albino 3 so take that for what it's worth.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
Did anyone buy anything this year or did you find the deals a little lackluster? I was hoping to score a cheaper upgrade to Reaktor 6, or nab Plogue's stuff on sale, but no dice. I already have the Arturia Collection (although not the current edition), most of UVI's stuff and the core NI VSTs so there's not a heck of a lot left to get unless I want to get something more esoteric.

I did pick up Rytmick Ultimate for my 3DS and it's fun to play around with.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Trig Discipline posted:

They did for the whole collection, and I think it's still going on. I got it for $199 but I think someone mentioned they found it for $149 somewhere. That may have been a hallucination though.

I had the upgrade offered for 149 but I didn't think it was worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

64bit_Dophins posted:

Tascam Portastudio

More expensive than most VSTs. Can I blame the lo-fi obsessed hipster demographic?