Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master

cat doter posted:

What compressors do you guys use? I'm not thrilled with the ones I've tried, looking for something new.
What have you tried? What is the application i.e. vocals, guitar, general? Are you looking for a clean or color compressor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master

cat doter posted:

I'd like a nice colour compressor for vocals, maybe something that isn't so harsh if you'll pardon the oxymoron.
I'll go out on a limb and say you'd like something with a character close to an LA-2A. A quick search found these two plugins. I haven't tried them myself but others seem to dig 'em. Try them out and see if you like the sound.

Antress Modern Angel: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9629869/FullPack4950.zip
Tin Brooke Tales TLs-2095-LA: http://hem.bredband.net/tbtaudio/archive/files/TLs-2095-LA_v1-1.zip

The Antress Modern Angel is part of a whole suite of free plugins. The Modern Seventh Sign might also be of some interest to you because it's modeling another classic color compressor, the 1176. It's a bit more aggressive sounding though. But it's great for really fast peak-y stuff. Really fast acting.

Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master
I'll endorse Major Tom. It's fantastic for bass/kick as well. Really, it's great and worth every penny. Pretty sure the Stillwell license entitles you to free upgrades for life as well. Those guys deserve your money!

Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master

cat doter posted:

Well if the free stuff I'm trying out doesn't work so well, I'll just buy less food this fortnight and grab those instead. Who needs food! Food sucks!
FYI, the demo versions never expire. However, you will love them enough to want to give them your money.