Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Augster
Aug 5, 2011

Also quadruplets are not conceived at the same time so it could possibly be like twins from 3rd-age Rand and twins from 4th-age Rand, if they bang again soon after the book ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

ShadowCatboy posted:

In any case, Rand must return to father those kids anyway. Min saw it in one of her visions. I certainly think that Aviendha getting pregnant by the Dragon, after Tarmon Gai'don, would raise a few eyebrows as to the status of his death.

Right but my point is and has been that Rand's wives know where he is, he doesn't have to come "back" to do anything.

And yes, Rand being alive is now a non-secret since basically every faction has an "in" to know he's still out there (but for the most part the ones in the know would agree to leave him well enough alone, probably).

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Plus dude can warp the Pattern to gently caress poo poo up. Anybody who comes after him is gonna be tripping some balls.

subpage
May 27, 2003

Alea iacta est
if he doesn't want to be found, he simply would not be found now. He can just warp reality into people not wanting to find him.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So I read River of Souls recently. Man, I really like that chapter. I feel pretty terrible for Demandred now.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I really think it could've been included in the Prologue somehow. I know Sanderson said he felt it wasn't appropriate since he'd only give a glimpse of a totally foreign world at such a late stage, and it would never get fully fleshed out. But I still thought it was tantalizing enough to add more than detract.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

ShadowCatboy posted:

I really think it could've been included in the Prologue somehow. I know Sanderson said he felt it wasn't appropriate since he'd only give a glimpse of a totally foreign world at such a late stage, and it would never get fully fleshed out. But I still thought it was tantalizing enough to add more than detract.

I think the bigger issue was that it ruined the big reveal when we first see the Sharans. Personally though I wish we'd seen small glimpses of what he'd been doing over the course of the series - if only to shut all the Taimandred conspiracy theorists up. Even if we got some glimpses in the first two Sanderson books. It would have been more satisfying than a sudden Demandred ex Machina out of nowhere.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

There were some really minor hints that make sense after reading the book, but there was nothing substantial.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

To this day I'm pretty sure RJ never had a set plan for Demandred and kinda just winged it as he went along and potential "candidates" for Demandred sorta went out the window for various reasons until there really wasn't time to expand on his part in a good way.

subpage
May 27, 2003

Alea iacta est
There were people guessing that he was in Sahar since book 11 or 12. So I doubt he winged it. He may have intended to have Demandred/Taim in the early books, but then again maybe not. We have no way of knowing. :(

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.
Earlier, way earlier. Shara and Murandy were the only options left pretty early and nobody gives a poo poo about Murandy.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

He was Rand all along, now that's a twist

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Pimpmust posted:

To this day I'm pretty sure RJ never had a set plan for Demandred and kinda just winged it as he went along and potential "candidates" for Demandred sorta went out the window for various reasons until there really wasn't time to expand on his part in a good way.

I really don't think so. There've been lots of false hints in the books that directed away from Shara. "Shara? Too far from the center to be of any use for years." There were also several very vague hints, such as Demandred kneeling in Shayol Ghul and talking to the Dark One, and TDO is laughing with glee at the amazing job Demandred did, though it was never specified what it was.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

There really wasn't enough stated either way. The few Demandred appearances could have placed him anywhere and made "perfect sense" in hindsight. We already know how Jordan wrote his plot hooks well in advance but *very* open/loose, to give him plenty of room to maneuver if need be.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Sorry if this isn't the right place, but since you guys know your Wheel of Time, Can someone tell me about this hardcover version of Eye of The World (which 'number' printing)? I see on Ebay they are going for between a good amount of money, and a way-good amount of money. tia

Andrealinia
May 30, 2013
From the number line at the bottom, I think it's an 11th printing. I'm not an expert, by any means, but I've always been told that the lowest number in that sequence is the number printing, so it's only a first edition, first printing if a number 1 appears in that sequence.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Google seems to suggest the last number is the current printing. The hardcovers I own which I know are first editions end at 1.
I just checked my copy and it doesn't have any of the stuff your photo shows below the ISBN number, and the book itself is smaller than all the other WOT books I have. I've never been able to figure out if that is normal.

Ika fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 25, 2014

The Baroness
Oct 1, 2004
Glasses, evil and HAWT

Ika posted:

Google seems to suggest the last number is the current printing. The hardcovers I own which I know are first editions end at 1.
I just checked my copy and it doesn't have any of the stuff your photo shows below the ISBN number, and the book itself is smaller than all the other WOT books I have. I've never been able to figure out if that is normal.

That sound similar to the 'book club' edition of the book. They tend to be smaller than normal hardbacks, for some reason.

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008

api call girl posted:

Right but my point is and has been that Rand's wives know where he is, he doesn't have to come "back" to do anything.

And yes, Rand being alive is now a non-secret since basically every faction has an "in" to know he's still out there (but for the most part the ones in the know would agree to leave him well enough alone, probably).

I have this weird picture in mind where it is an open secret in the social groups that rand visits, Elayne's court, Aviendha, Mat people etc... But everyone is way to polite/scared to actually bring it up. But come on, who else could it be hanging out with Elayne and playing with her kids? But then as you move further away from those social circles, from the servants to the city to the towns and villages it becomes myth and rumor and anyone who believes that the Dragon swapped bodies with one of the Forsaken is considered a fool.

Augster
Aug 5, 2011

Some info on The Wheel of Time Companion:

quote:

The Wheel of Time Encyclopedia is dead! Long live The Wheel of Time Companion as it will now officially be called.
The book will be 350,000 words long (comparable to several of the novels in the series; the longest, The Shadow Rising, is 389,000 words).
The book will feature a lot of new artwork, arranged by Irene Gallo at Tor.
The book will likely be published in November 2015.
The book will feature all of the already-published maps and also some new ones, including one of Thakan'dar.
The book will have a large vocabulary of the Old Tongue, with a minimum of 1,000 words.
The book will feature character profiles and sketches for almost every character in the series. Even Bela has her own entry.
The book will be written from a post-AMoL POV. It will have spoilers for the entire series.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I strarted reading these in 1997 when a crown of swords wad the newest one. They are all on my shelf but I have not got past half way through knife of dreams.

I really want to know how it ends, but not enough to reread the whole thing.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Dysgenesis posted:

http://www.wotsummary.com/

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Dysgenesis posted:

I strarted reading these in 1997 when a crown of swords wad the newest one. They are all on my shelf but I have not got past half way through knife of dreams.

Try audiobooks. Great way to get back into the series while doing other stuff.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

quote:

•The movie/TV rights situation is beginning to become clearer. Red Eagle sold the film rights on to Universal and it now looks like the rights could return to the Jordan Estate at some point. There is apparently interest from other companies in the rights given the success of other fantasy projects on TV and in film at the moment.

Oh come on WoT TV series.

Well actually WoT animu would probably be better.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Well actually WoT animu would probably be better.

Yeah, unfortunately or fortunately, WoT is basically a western anime, right down to the three separate love interests for the main protagonist, one redhead, one boyish, and one fancy blonde. Plus the magic system would probably look better in hand-animation than as a sparkly CGI effect with live actors.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, unfortunately or fortunately, WoT is basically a western anime, right down to the three separate love interests for the main protagonist, one redhead, one boyish, and one fancy blonde. Plus the magic system would probably look better in hand-animation than as a sparkly CGI effect with live actors.

Not to mention the main characters being all 16-20 year olds and a bunch of the supporting characters being people who basically don't age - filming the entire series would take a good ten years. At least anime characters don't age. I'd want it to be done in Japanese style animation though, not that horrid 3d poo poo that western animated films are done in these days.

Alternatively:

Do what Tamora Pierce does with all her books - she doesn't like the idea of her stuff being massacred in a film adaptation, so all her books had audio books made, except they were performed like radio plays, with a different voice actor to read each character.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
The sword duels.

Literally the High Lord duel in book 2 is the most animu of fights.

*Haughty villain* I am disappointed in you, I thought you could provide a challenge!

*Protagonist* - *Fights harder*

*Haughty villain* Perhaps you are better than I thought!

*Protagonist* - *Fights Harder, wins*

*Haughty villain* How could you have defeated me! Nooooo.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Or even just the fact that there's several hundred pages of filler in the middle where absolutely nothing happens.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Or even just the fact that there's several hundred pages of filler in the middle where absolutely nothing happens.

That's not true. There's scheming, tea drinking and spanking. If it's going to be adapted in Anime form, there drat well better be every single cup of tea mentioned in the books.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I personally will not be satisfied unless every character shouts out their attack names in a sufficiently hotblooded fashion. River Undercuts The Bank! Heron Wading In The Rushes!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Scintilla posted:

I personally will not be satisfied unless every character shouts out their attack names in a sufficiently hotblooded fashion. River Undercuts The Bank! Heron Wading In The Rushes!

Thats what the narrator is for

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Scintilla posted:

After the first few times, I imagine they'd just have a heron, bull, river, etc. shaped logo flash across the screen for a second, maybe with a title scroll across the bottom. Rand uses Heron Wading in the Rushes! It's super effective!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

After the first few times, I imagine they'd just have a heron, bull, river, etc. shaped logo flash across the screen for a second, maybe with a title scroll across the bottom. Rand uses Heron Wading in the Rushes! It's super effective!

He's a messiah, not a Pokemon.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

That Anime would unironically rule.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

The Lord Bude posted:

That's not true. There's scheming, tea drinking and spanking. If it's going to be adapted in Anime form, there drat well better be every single cup of tea spanking mentioned in the books.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I was assuming they'd boost profits by saving those for adults only tie in DVDs. Wheel of time would make pretty decent hentai too.

Xenochrist
Sep 11, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

I was assuming they'd boost profits by saving those for adults only tie in DVDs. Wheel of time would make pretty decent hentai too.

So much female on female spanking...

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The Lord Bude posted:

Hmm. Pillow-friends, Compulsion, being held down by weaves of Air, Graendal being raped by that weird Myrdraal, you know what? I think I can see it.

Faile makes such an annoying tsundere.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Yorkshire Tea posted:

The sword duels.

Literally the High Lord duel in book 2 is the most animu of fights.

*Haughty villain* I am disappointed in you, I thought you could provide a challenge!

*Protagonist* - *Fights harder*

*Haughty villain* Perhaps you are better than I thought!

*Protagonist* - *Fights Harder, wins*

*Haughty villain* How could you have defeated me! Nooooo.

Forget THAT, what about when the last book features an honest to God boss rush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Gologle posted:

Forget THAT, what about when the last book features an honest to God boss rush.

It still tickles me in all the right spots that the boss there is a fire-breathing dragon wielding the holy grail facing the knights of the round table.

• Locked thread