Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

There was something about Verin right from the start, I think, but I can't remember what tipped me off.

The other one that I've always been wondering about is Lan, about Thom early in book 1, after the village is attacked. He says something like 'I do not like that man, there is something about him I do not trust.'
And I always found it extraordinarily strange that he went and took on a Myrddraal by himself and was not actually killed immediately - the book paints it as though he dies - a blinding flash of light and his screams - but given that at this point Myrddraal were built up as unbelievably dangerous opponents and he survives it with nothing but a gimpy leg always had me suspicious.
I would say his actions since have cleared him of suspicion, but, well... I guess we'll see. Call me paranoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah. Also the whole gimpy leg thing never really sat right with me since they fight with swords known to kill just from the slightest scratch. What, did it knee him in the hip or something?

He's also up to a lot of sneaky poo poo - I can't remember what book it is but I think he's talking to Mat and writing a very dodge letter and he hopes that Mat doesn't ask to look inside his chest or something. He's up to something, I just don't know what - I'd say there's no way he's a Darkfriend but after the Verin revelation, who knows anymore?

On another note, Verin says that the oath she took for the Black stated she was not able to divulge her allegiance until the hour of her death, but when the Aes Sedai inside the tower find someone they suspect of a Black don't they torture her into admitting she is Black? It's been a while since I read that book but I'm sure they ask her 'are you of the Black' and she replies 'I am.' Am I imagining this?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Vaniljcola posted:

Winters Heart:The black ajha hunters have her unswear "all oaths that bind her" before retaking the three oaths. (to avoid conflicting oaths). So i guess the black oaths are removable.

Ah, forgot about that part. Well, that explains that.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Thomchat:
Anyone got any comments or theories on Thom? I love his character, but Lan has a pretty good head on his shoulders and that thing he said about not trusting him has always kinda stuck with me.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

A Terrible Person posted:

Thomchat
Thom Merrilin aka Merlin. A gleeman who is supremely knowledgeable and teaches Rand the basics in the art of of being a schemer and ruler. He's an acrobat, juggler, fire-eater, philosopher, musician, and (as far as knives are concerned) talented in sleight-of-hand. He muses on his fire juggling/eating as being interpreted as fire breathing and his efforts with helping Rand as raising up a King. He aids Rand in/after pulling the "sword that isn't a sword" from the "stone of Tear." The parallels are obvious, and it's amusing that Thom's character basically figures it out as/before it happens.

When does this happen?

Prison Warden posted:

So I just got to Chapter 36 of TDR. Some reccuring Aiel characters make thier first appearance. I always liked Rhuarc, he is one of my favourite of the Aiel. I forgot how ridiculously bloodthirsty Egwene is in this part of the story. I do like that when they hear Grey Men is after Mat from Egwene's dream, they immediately assume it is after him because it's trying to gently caress with them in some way. Aes Sedai seem to vastly underestimate the importance of ta'veren in this story. i think Moiraine and Verin are the only ones who currently aprreciate the fact that finding two ta'veren in the same village as the dragon reborn, with the last battle coming might be important

Siuan as well, really. I like Siuan in general, she does seem to have a good head on her shoulders.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Also, nobody has mentioned Leigh Butler's official reread:
http://www.tor.com/features/series/wot-reread

I've been reading this recently but if she goes on one more multi-paragraph rant about even the slightest hint of sexism, I'm just gonna stop. Yes, we get that you don't like sexism. Please stop expounding on it over and over and over, you've made your point.

She wrote nearly a page about how unfair it is that sexist attitudes prevail amongst sailors and they make jokes about why ships are called 'she'. It's an entirely male-dominated industry, this kind of thing is going to happen, sorry that the world isn't always fair.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Christ, I'd forgotten about those. It's nice to read someone else's views, am I just weird that hints of sexism don't whip me into a frothing fury? It's just a book...

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The one that really pissed me off was in TSR I think, when they are talking to the sea folk chick and she gives them the explanation of why a ship is called 'he', and out of curiosity she went searching for reasons why a ship in real life is called 'she'. I thought she was going to choke on her own tongue.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Two Finger posted:

I've been reading this recently but if she goes on one more multi-paragraph rant about even the slightest hint of sexism, I'm just gonna stop. Yes, we get that you don't like sexism. Please stop expounding on it over and over and over, you've made your point.
She's outdone herself towards the end of the Fires of Heaven readthrough...
A 742 word rant on chivalry and how it degrades women. How on earth does she find so much anger?

EDIT: Jesus, the rant continued after I thought it stopped, probably doubling its length.
Close to 1500 words (at a guess, can't be bothered word-counting it again) not on a fantasy novel, but on a real issue as it is presented in a fantasy novel. That's... something.

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Apr 16, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Willie Tomg posted:

Myrelle is real, real bad and Nynaeve giving her the business immediately after attaining the shawl was unironically one of my favorite parts of ToM.

What's so bad about Myrelle?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Kruller posted:

Book 13 spoilers be here:
T'A'R is literally a magical made-up dream world where dead heroes chill with wolves. He could have made it work, and it would have been satisfying. As it is, Olver serves almost no purpose, other than to show that Mat broke the -Finn's power somewhat when he stole Moiraine back.
olvertalk

I thought the point of Olver was to give Mat someone to be fatherly towards - look at the way he reacts when he discovers the men have been teaching Olver to gamble and chase women. It seemed to be a sign of his growing maturity and leaving behind his scoundrellishness.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I didn't know who it was even after I read the book where it is supposedly revealed.

What he means is he dropped enough clues that you can logically deduct who it was, if you care enough to.

I guess I didn't!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Jedit posted:

You're missing the point. Mat is never able to figure out which of his men Olver is learning his bad habits from because the boy is actually learning them from Mat himself.

:stare:

Holy poo poo.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I always thought Key-ree-in. I'm probably retarded, though.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

This is about Rand:

There's also his whole self-hating thing every time a woman dies. It was pretty chilling seeing him get locked up in Far Madding, and rather than try to find a way to escape, or keep himself active to keep his mind fresh, he actively makes a choice to sit down and torment himself in the interests of making himself 'harder'. I didn't really realise just how close he came to being flipped to the Dark Side until the end of TGS, when he realises just how loving insane he is.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Ethereal Duck posted:

That whole experience must have been grueling though, with the claustrophobia and all. So grueling, that everyone bonded to him was freaking the gently caress out if I remember correctly.
Rand again, circa Winter's Heart

I seem to recall a particular passage about him 'patiently forging his soul in the fires of pain,' and Min going HOLY poo poo IF HE WAS STONE BEFORE HE'S IRON NOW.
So he did it to himself, really.

Not that I'm taking away from how hosed up the situation was - I've been tied up with a pillowcase over my head before and it wasn't much fun, and I didn't even get beaten!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

God Rodel Ituralde kicks all kinds of rear end. His part in Towers of Midnight is loving awesome from start to finish.

I remember when I used to play Morrowind, I'd always use that name for my character for some reason. Good to see I picked wisely!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

To be fair, Moiraine mentions there are Aes Sedai who would do their best to gentle him if they knew the truth about him, as well as him repeatedly being called a Darkfriend simply because of his eyes. The point does kind of stand.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Mad Hamish posted:

No, that was Semirhage. Mesaana was a teacher. And Aginor was a biologist I think?

I mean, I love all the female Forsaken, they're amazing characters. Its just that they all have terrible origin stories.

I would totally subscribe to the Lews Therin being a tremendous jerk theory. I can see it.

Rand pretty much acknowledges this though. He has some POV in AMOL? where he thinks back on his mistakes in treating them like dirt.

Torrannor posted:

For those curious, Leigh Butler is doing a Wheel of Time re-reread on tor.com here: http://www.tor.com/features/series/wot-reread

She mainly tries to pick up things she missed in her first reread, when TGS, TOM and AMOL weren't out yet. It's pretty nice, and she did catch quite a bit of foreshadowing that I missed. She's nearly to the end of Book 1 now for those who are interested.

No don't loving read this ever. Leigh Butler is goddamned terrible and her first read through was a soapbox for her favourite SJW issues.

Torrannor posted:

Alviarin deserves a special mention in this place. It's ridiculous that she wasn't made Forsaken alongside with Taim. Alviarin, as head of the Black Ajah, does most of Mesaana's work for her. She can probably take credit for most of the plotting to depose Siuan, working closely with Elaida. As Keeper of the Chronicles she controls Elaida, and is responsible for many of the bad things Elaida does as Amyrlin (like her proclamation regarding Rand). She lost her job as Keeper, and even though she doesn't get the support she should from Mesaana, even under these difficult circumstances she comes close to catching Seaine, Pevara, Saerin, Yukiri and Doesine, when those five had discovered Talene to be a member of the Black Ajah. She survived the battle for the White Tower and fought in the Last Battle, but ended up as prisoner in an Ogier stedding. She was still more dangerous and effective than Mesaana, and should have become a Forsaken together with Taim.

It's also worth mentioning that she was actively hunting Mesaana for her own reasons, and got reasonably close (the scene where she throws herself at Mesaana's feet and manages to force her head through the illusion to discern what her clothes look like)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

and quite possibly the breaking of Semirhage by spanking is a joke directed at her as well.

haha if this is true then sanderson owns

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Well it's only speculation on my part, but Leigh has been very vocal about the spanking over the years, and Sanderson's writing almost seemed to poke fun at it. He does also have a thing about inserting people into his books - a number of people have been given callouts, by having characters named after them - Leigh, Jason from Dragonmount.com, etc.

She's been very vocal about literally everything that didn't agree with her own worldview. There was something in particular, it was to do with the Sea Folk and one of their sayings about ships, where she threw a full on tantrum.
Given that I work at sea, I found it incredibly ridiculous. Come work at sea for 6 months and see if that changes your opinion at all.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

ruby idiot railed posted:

gently caress you.

Hahah this should be good. Tell you what, why don't you tell me what your problem is and we'll go from there

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hunky Joe posted:

Yeah I'd dodge Leigh Butler's read throughs. They are genuinely good outside of her SJW rants that got worse and worse

completely agree with this. if she'd left it at that, I honestly would have been totally fine with them.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hunky Joe posted:

You're in the thread about a series with a spanking fetish :downs: no need to candy coat which series you are talking about I think we all know it's this one

yeah, for all its flaws WOT never had a chapter where the heroine walks through a devastated city where basically every woman has been raped to death while she tells a savage about capitalism

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

For everything wrong with Sword of Truth (and it's a list at least five pages long, most of them being rape), it gave me Legend of the Seeker, so at least something good came out of all of Goodkind's works.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'm re-reading Eye of the World after.... christ knows how many years. It stuns me how tightly written and plotted it is. WOT lost its way in a lot of ways as the series went on, but gently caress me did it start well.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

I'm getting the same feeling. For all that it's a transparent homage to J.R.R. Tolkien it was a well-paced book. Even knowing everything (and I've been entertained by finding all the obvious hints of who's the Dragon, etc.) there's still the suspense of who the Dark One is actually hunting, plus the introduction of all sorts of things like the Dream World and Shadar Logoth and more without getting bogged down.

One thing I hadn't noticed the first time through was that Mat shouts the Old Tongue before he even gets to Shadar Logoth, the dagger eats holes in his memory, and the 'Finns fill it with others' memories.

homage is really the key word there I think. Yes, it's a homage, but it's not a blatant rip-off. I read the first Shannara book a few years ago and that felt like a cheap retread of LOTR, even down to the 'skull bearers'. A Myrddraal might well be a Black Rider in all but name, but he at least flipped a lot of things on their heads by having Gandalf be a woman.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Actually.... I just want to run through it in my head.
Rand-Frodo
Perrin-Sam?
Mat-Merry?
Moiraine-Gandalf
Lan-Aragorn
Egwene-Pippin?
Nynaeve-........uh, Legolas? Gimli?
Fain-Gollum (duh)
Trollocs-Orcs
Myrddraal-Nazgul
Two Rivers-Shire
Baerlon-Bree
Shadar Logoth-Old Forest?
The Ways-Moria
Thom-........uh? Boromir maybe? Bombadil?
Blight-Mordor
Shienar-Gondor
Malkier-Ithilien/Osgiliath
There's a lot of parallels but it doesn't quite match up exactly...

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

the JJ posted:

I mean, I think it's more collectively farm boys=hobbits (with some Chosen One flavor thrown on) plus the whole plot of 'evil once defeated dark lord must be defeated by small fellowship going to Mordor and wrecking magic superweapon before the bad guy does.' I mean, you even had the ring (dagger) though this time it's more a side plot and not the main MaGuffin.

Certainly, it's not like Eragon->Star Wars painfully bad, but the skeleton of the plot is there. Sleepy farmfolk suddenly thrust into plot via Black Riders etc. etc.

Yeah that makes a bit more sense. I was a bit bored and decided to see how many parallels I could make

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Finished the Great Hunt and now onto Dragon Reborn.
The final few chapters of the Great Hunt are absolutely fantastic.
Ingtar's reveal, the battle with Turak being nothing more than a leadup to the Ba'alzamon showdown, the Seanchan battle, it's honestly written like it would translate to film amazingly well.
I really like the way Jordan just says 'Boar Rushing Down the Mountain' and leaves you to imagine what it looks like, because the names of the forms are so descriptive your imagination fills in the blanks.

Now, for the Dragon Reborn:

quote:

What does it mean that he 'shall slay his people with the sword of peace, and destroy them with the leaf?'
I've never read this book since reading Aviendha's second journey through the pillars, and to see that Jordan was laying the seeds even this far back is beyond belief.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

How are u posted:

A lesson to all aspiring authors: don't have kinky spanking bondage sex with your editor.

I do that with your editor.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'm now up to TSR, and I'm going on record as saying one of Moiraine's questions to the Eelfinn was 'How do I keep Thom Merrilin alive?'

Moiraine in TSR posted:

A quiet life would kill you, I think. Tanchico will not, however. I guarantee that, and by the First Oath, you know it for truth.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Perrin is the real Z fighter

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Arrath posted:

That was just about the lamest thing they could reveal first. I totally tuned out when it got to literal ranking of power levels. Good to know that the ladies in the fellowship of the Dragon broke the scale and added new levels.

Why couldn't they reveal something neat and deep and just mindblowing. Like, the ruins of an ancient dock that Rand sees way the gently caress up on a mountain side in the Dragonwall as he makes his way back west in book 5. Maybe RJ wrote a detailed background for that city for some reason. That kinda poo poo would be awesome.

excuse me but i can't enjoy a series if i don't have numerical breakdowns of power (including skill modifiers) :spergin:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

GreyPowerVan posted:

Wasn't the blight over in Seanchan kind of not a big deal anymore since all the trollocs up there were killed?

Also, what is the Land of Madmen (besides the land of madmen)

Australia

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Most of the way through Fires of Heaven now, and rereading Moiraine's letter to Rand is interesting. The woman knew an awful lot more than she let on - not just about Asmodean, but it's interesting that she specifically said to trust Verin as far as he'd trust Alviarin. That she picked those two names is not coincidence.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I thought she did too much to help them to be Black. The sleeper agent revelation really hit me by surprise though

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Khizan posted:

Yeah, but 'wheels within wheels within wheels' is the Aes Sedai thing AND 'too busy backstabbing each other to be effective against their actual enemies' is the Forsaken thing. Combine the two and there's basically no helpfulness limit that rules somebody out as a member of the Black Ajah.

Thinking about it they had both mat and rand cold in tsr during the trollocs attack on the stone but that got ducked up by one of the others (graendal?) Which ultimately lead to all of their deaths and the victory of the light. Dark one must have been PISSED.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

ruby idiot railed posted:

That was, IIRC, Sammael's group, but Semirhage was told to bring her forces against them. Killing people simply respools their thread for re-weaving and there's really no such thing as Dark One owning your soul.

Yeah I more meant if rand and mat got dusted then it's oops no one left to win the last battle thanks for coming humanity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

gonna go out on a limb here and say the chapter goldeneyes from TSR is one of the best things jordan ever wrote

extrapolating here but i suspect he was once in a situation he didn't expect to walk away from

dude captures the emotions so well

well that's all i gotta say

WOT owns

nope wait got something more to say

gently caress whitecloaks

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Aug 23, 2015

• Locked thread