Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Yay, an excuse to start this! I keep saying to myself I'll re-read everything before the last one comes out, now I can do so and have a place to discuss it too; goons are the best.
Working today, 8 hours to kill, I'll probably get halfway through EotW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

Danith posted:

I'm up to chapter 39 currently and I just don't get why Perrin, Mat and Rand still refuse to accept the changes that are happening to them.

I'm catching up, and one thing I've been keeping in mind this time around is that they're all like 17 years old during the first 3 books. The 17 years of someone from before electricity, from farms, who still played tricks like dunking dogs in flour and probably pulling braids. These are absolutely children.
Mat matures fastest, which is easy to do because, well, he's the luckiest. His love of battles translates to a love of conflict, and he starts to just feed off of everything.
Perrin has the longest way to go, because while he isn't stupid, he was used to a life of simple, rote tasks before everything around him went to poo poo.
Picture yourself at like 14 and now aliens exist and they want to kill you. Just you.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

Ramadu posted:

I have no idea how you can deduce it honestly. I read it in the general discussion and was shocked. There doesn't seem to be any clues at all about it and I've read the series like 3 times in 15 years or something dumb. Maybe I'm an idiot though.

That :smug: mother fucker would always only ever say "Oh, it should be painfully obvious to even the most casual reader, from the text", too. I swear if Sanderson doesn't address it, there's gonna be a shooting.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

Yay, I'm on TGH and will probably finish it at work tonight! What DOES "IT IS NOT HERE"mean at thr end of book 1, anyway? It is not here that the last battle will be fought? Creator has weird syntax. :(

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've decided I'm gonna read the hell out of things until I hit about book 6, and then figure out where to stop so that I can read a chapter a day until the next one comes out.
The end of Book 2 reminded me how awesome it would be to have a WoT HBO series. Fireballs, earthquakes, hundreds of Ghost Riders, and a swordfight above the clouds between giants. YES.
Also though, is it spoilers to talk about that fight and the one at the end of book 1, in terms of who Rand was actually fighting? I mean was it just "random DO avatar", or was he fighting specific Forsaken? Did he kill them or just defeat them? As far as I "should be able to tell" there is one dead Forsaken and 2 "Baal'zamons" dead, although I know that EoTW killed Aginor and Balthamel.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

Is there an answer to whether or not Mat or Perrin are re-spun out heroes in the way that Rand is LTT reborn?

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

So I'm a little ahead, book 4 right now. Does Galad become a whitecloak? :( I thought he was smarter than that. Although I guess it was foreshadowed with his attitude of "he'd turn you in for doing the slightest thing wrong, just because he feels you didn't live up to his standards."

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I'm in the middle of book 4, and I already don't remember exactly what he's referring to. Is it the "13 myrdraal and 13 black ajah can turn a person to the shadow" thing?

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

If you really wanna torture yourself, read as much as you want up to about halfway through LOC, (ch.21 as of today I think), and then limit yourself to a chapter a day. You'll finish the day before the last book comes out. I'm doing that because I am insane.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I felt like a very non-critical reader today, as characters showed up again Egeanin and Floran Gelb (not really a huge spoiler) that I literally had no idea who they were and had to check online. :(
Is this just gonna happen more and more as it goes on? I think I've only made it up to about book 7 or 8 ever, and that was when they came out, and I'm towards the end of book 4 now.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Chapter 1 reads like a prologue and I don't understand why it wasn't written that way.

Not really a spoiler, so I don't feel bad taking it out of the black. You brought up something that I absolutely hate about fantasy, and all fantasy does this; the ridiculous amount of repetitive text. Sometimes it's catchup at the beginning of the book, usually it's placed throughout the entire book.
Like, every time Rand channels, we get to read the same exact description of how male channeling is mistrusted and dangerous because it's like you're wrestling a bear and you can't surrender to it and the taint threatens to swallow him up. And it's 2-3 sentences that aren't necessary. Not to mention that usually the FIRST time Rand channels in a book there are also the same sentences about how the Dark One tainted saidin back when the bore was sealed blah blah blah.
It's like the author is expecting people to pick up book 4 or 8 in a series as the first exposure to it, and wants them to understand everything. Why is this such a common trope?
I've noticed really bad anime does this too, stuff like Bleach will have 2 minutes of catchup/intro at the beginning of each 18 minute episode. Is it that these things are written for teenage boys, and we really don't want to challenge them, even to challenge basic reading comprehension?

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

Yeah; last time I checked, it was a 25 min. Ep., with 7 mins being opening/ending credits, 2 mins intro filler. At least Jordans not that bad. :)

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

Recursive Expanse posted:

Aside from the current semantic argument, aren't some of these things spoilers?
book 4 -onward We barely know about the wise ones, and don't yet know that they can channel. The kin come much later, so we don't even know that there are other major organized societies of channelers besides the Aes Sedai, Seanchan Slaves, and maybe a few well taught sea-folk

Any reader of any fantasy series, though, from Book 1 as soon as you get the "Nynaeve can channel?? But the irony!" part, can tell that is foreshadowing the fact that every single special group of women in the world is going to have to do with the power. Seanchan don't like it, because they can do it. Sea Folk don't give rides to Aes Sedai... because they can do it. etc.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

uugengiven posted:

I'm still on The Dragon Reborn but I just got through chapters 30-40 and had a few thoughts on what the Chekhov's gun might be. First, the 13x13 trick is around chapter 22, not in these chapters. Along with that, Sanderson himself said that wasn't what he was talking about. He said it was something smaller, but still cool.

The first thing I noticed was that there is a lot of talk how thieves never get away from Tar Valon. Not a huge thing, but it was said enough that it seemed like it was more important than just a little flavor text.

Next, when Perrin meets Faile, they talk about hidden things in the "Shadow Wood" which is near the Two Rivers. Perrin says he knows of the wood but other than that, I don't think they're mentioned again, but it may be something in the Whitecloak section of book four. Guess I'll find out soon.

Finally, while Perrin is noticing the passage of some dark hounds, though not knowing what they are, they come to a town. He is doing his smelling everything technique and smelling the sulfur of the dark hounds. Then, suddenly, he smells something that is worse than trolloc or myddraal but has the same wrongness about them. It is just for a moment and it is gone. As far as I can tell, Fain is still with Valda and the white cloaks, so it can't be him, and Perrin would recognize the smell of Drakkar because he's a teenage guy in the 90s and trying to attract chicks. No gray man tries to get them, so I don't know what that is about, but it definitely isn't an accident.

Anyone read anything on any of these elsewhere and seen them discussed?

IIRC, the "extra wrongness" he's smelling is the Darkhounds, since he's wolf boy and all the evil dogs are like super offensive to his pure, honest, brave nasal passages.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

Now that someone brought it up, I've found about 5 references o spanking or switching so far in tFoH. So many threatened butts. :(

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

These are words about Olver, with a little extra-book knowledge:
Why the hell would RJ NOT make him Gaidal Cain? Red herrings are only good if they don't make the reader feel cheated, I mean poo poo, Birgitte deserves to at least know who GC is. It just smacks of ret-conning, like if we found out that Rand wasn't the Dragon or something, "haha, gently caress you, it was Bela", or something.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

Recursive Expanse posted:

more olver chat
I still don't discount the possibility that he's Gaidal. There are things that even the heroes don't understand about their connection to TAR. Remember that it is the world of dreams. What if a hero can be reborn, but still remain in the dream world until he actually is ready to become a hero? Maybe their past lives live on for a time in dreams, until their new life is ready for them to start acting in full.

RJ has confirmed that Olver is not GC, and Sanderson has also confirmed that he knows who GC is, and that it is not Olver. This is why it was so strange to set everything up as if Olver was GC, for literally no narrative reason at all. :(
So, does anyone here, maybe reading it for the first time, not know who killed Asmodean? That's always a fun bitch-fest about how well RJ thought he was writing.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

Do they ever do anything with the idea that strength in the OP can be, like, trained, like a muscle or something? It seems like all the main channelers get stronger the more they use it, not to mention (mid book 6)the Asha'man that practice every drat day and are strong as hell within like 6 months. It seems like even the really weak channelers, siuan & leanefor instance, could get a lot stronger with practice. Or does RJ just do a "potential" thing, where no one is actually getting stronger, just reaching whatever max potential they have?

Quad fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 19, 2012

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

"Metagaming", I think Perrin's most likely to die in the Last Battle; Rand is the King, telling Mat the General, to lead Perrin the Soldier (and his wolves) into the battle. Obviously at least ONE honest-to-god main character needs to eat it, and RJ would never kill the main character, or the author stand-in (Mat).

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

Book 7, ch. 20 talk: Are we supposed to know who Cadsuane is? I feel like her names been mentioned in passing before, but it could just be that there are 100 minor characters with names 1 vowel off from main characters' names.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

Nynaeve is INFURIATING me, btw. She gets better, right?

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

Just finished CoS, pretty light spoilers I guess: the whole book was 9 days?! The gently caress. After a change of guard in the Children in Book 6, it was awesome to completely ignore them here. Also completely ignoring Perrin, other than "we had a fight, so now we're off to Ghealdan for some reason." 800 pages of looking for a bowl, Nynaeve crying because she had to apologize to a man who has saved her life and never really done anything negative to her other than I guess putting flour on some dogs 6000 pages ago. It's like he deliberately stuck in tiny snippets of possibly interesting plotlines totry and make up for a whole book of sniffing and braid tugging. AARGH. why do I still want to read the rest, what has happened to me. drat you RJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

May want to fix your spoiler tag there guy, although everyone ITT should be up to that point anyway.

• Locked thread