Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Holy poo poo, Towers of Midnight is so good. I can't believe I'm only 2/3rds of the way through considering all of the :tviv: moments so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
While Lord of Chaos has a lot of pacing issues, it also has a good number of my favorite moments in the entire series.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Xillah posted:

I've just finished book 13 and have avoided this thread for the duration to avoid spoilers.

I have one question.

Where the hell did Moiraine and Thom getting together come from. I can't remember anything that would give the idea that would happen.

Was just wondering if I was forgetting something, been reading thorough these for the last 8 months or so.

I'm in the middle of a re-read, and yeah, there are some clues. But even knowing, it still isn't obvious like most of the foreshadowed events.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

socialsecurity posted:

The Chosen really were a big bunch of chumps for the most part, I really wanted to see a prequel to the war of power to see how the good side even came close to losing.

End of the series spoilers ahead

As we learn, the the defining characteristic of the Foresaken isn't their power or intelligence, but their selfishness and ruthlessness. I can see how a lot of them could have been really fearsome when they had legions of dark friends and dreadlords to back them up. Remember, there was something like 100 years for them to build up their power bases before the actual battles started. This time they like 2 or 3 years. While a lot of them did go out like chumps, they generally expected to have a backup plan since they expected the Dark One to bring them back like he did 3 or 4 times in the series. It also seems like a lot of the problems stemmed from the fact that the Dark One could never decide whether Rand should be killed or not, so they almost always were held back when they did have good opportunities.

I would also say that if you were fighting a war, and then the enemy starting throwing Trollocs, Myrddraal, and Gholam at you for the first time, I think it will severely hamper your ability to win. If Aginor had spent his time making new shadowspawn instead of hanging out with Rand, I think they would have been much better off.

And in the end, its not like the Last Battle was a walk for the good guys. Considering how powerful Shara proved to be, one more of their plots working out would have probably tipped things in their favor.

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 9, 2014

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Scintilla posted:

I personally will not be satisfied unless every character shouts out their attack names in a sufficiently hotblooded fashion. River Undercuts The Bank! Heron Wading In The Rushes!

Thats what the narrator is for

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Eric the Mauve posted:

Oh god, listening to anything from Wheel of Time as an audiobook would be torture.

I went through all 14 books via audible, and yeah, I loving hate Elaine chapters now. I also have no clue how to spell anyone's names

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I had to look this up since I honestly have never been able to follow his story in the books, but can I just say how loving dumb Osan'gar's storyline is? I mean, you bring back one of your foresaken from death, and rather than have him make new types of Shadowspawn or more Gholams, he just pals around with Rand? Was his original goal to turn the Black Tower to the shadow? He just seems like the most useless of all of the foresaken, which really is saying something

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 27, 2014

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Scintilla posted:

One of the many, many reasons why Egwene is the worst character.

No, the worst is still Elayne

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Zephyrine posted:

Oh wow they put Rand in a chest. His mind was fragile enough before. There is no way that he is going to come out of this in any saner than going in

loving :laffo:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

How are u posted:

Pretty sure Jordan and Harriet were swingers, or at least everything re: Rand & his gals points that direction.

Doesn't Jordan have a story about how he was dating 2 girls at the same time, so he figured the world's savior could handle 3.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
So something that has been bothering me recently when thinking about it. Isn't the Dark One breaking the seals not a world ending event? I mean, I assume that if breaks free, it will be no different than his freedom during the War of Power, which while strong, he wasn't able to create a literal hell on Earth. Am I missing some part of the threat?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
So apparently, the pilot for a WoT series will be on FXX at 1:30AM this morning. The description does confirm it to definitely be related to the series, but the timeslot seems a bit off. I've seen people speculating that the rights to the movie/TV deal expires soon if they didn't start a series, so it looks like they bought the cheapest infomercial slot possible to air it on to keep the rights.

Expect something hilariously bad

EDIT: They apparently filmed it in a day, and then pulled two all nighters to edit it. This is gonna incredibly bad

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 9, 2015

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
A terrible, echoing stream of it:
http://www.twitch.tv/smh3w

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Habibi posted:

That is the weirdest loving thing.

Its shockingly better than I expected so far, but it is kind of hard to tell with the echo. Pretty good for something probably made for 5000 bucks

Seriously, I've seen highly promoted SyFy channel movies with worse acting and effects than this. I would actually watch this series, assuming it had a budget

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 9, 2015

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Yeah, it was hilariously mediocre, but I was honestly expecting far worse considering

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

subpage posted:

Ya, still no way in hell they get a run with that.

Considering they aired it a 1:30AM on FXX with zero advertising, interviews, or anything to hype it, I don't think they were trying to

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Oh, and the director apparently died in a car crash like a day after he finished editing it :stonk:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Zarfol posted:

I think WOT is kind of like dune, it just wouldn't work well in either TV or movie format.

The part where he's looking into the mirror was pretty neat I thought though. Everything else was garbage but I hope they continue because it would be hilarious to see a whole book series done in the same format, budget, and 1:30 AM infomercial time slot.

I'd love to see the Last Battle, where its just two archers on a wall, with occasional shouts from off-screen

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Habibi posted:

How are the audiobooks?

I enjoyed them

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Mad Hamish posted:

At least it sort of made sense. I'm still annoyed how the Sharans just showed up out of nowhere with no explanation as to why they were following Dermandred. Some lead-up wpold have been nice.

There was a few references throughout the books about how all of the sharan lands were in chaos. Graendal shows off the captured kings and queens, some of the Aiel chiefs talk about how the lands have fallen into deep chaos.

Additionally, there were going to be a few chapters throughout the last few books involving part of Demandred's journey (mainly the last part where he does the equivalent of Rand pulling out Callandor). They ended up cutting them because they felt it was weird to just drop in all of these new characters and settings so late in the series, and since Robert Jordan was against showing any activity set in Shara.

I personally agree with this, since all of the Black Tower stuff seemed way to sudden and out of place, and that had been getting actively set up for like 6 or 7 books.

The chapters ended up getting included in a charity anthology called Unfettered, and are called "River of Souls"

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 3, 2015

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

GreyPowerVan posted:

I mean, Elayne is a spoiled brat teenager. What do you expect?

Some character development. She is the only character I hate more on every reread

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Two Finger posted:

Finished the Great Hunt and now onto Dragon Reborn.
The final few chapters of the Great Hunt are absolutely fantastic.
Ingtar's reveal, the battle with Turak being nothing more than a leadup to the Ba'alzamon showdown, the Seanchan battle, it's honestly written like it would translate to film amazingly well.
I really like the way Jordan just says 'Boar Rushing Down the Mountain' and leaves you to imagine what it looks like, because the names of the forms are so descriptive your imagination fills in the blanks.

Now, for the Dragon Reborn:

I've never read this book since reading Aviendha's second journey through the pillars, and to see that Jordan was laying the seeds even this far back is beyond belief.

I'm in a reread and at about the same point, and it was amazing how much poo poo was foreshadowed in the first two books

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

socialsecurity posted:

Really wonder how different things would be if like halfway through the series Rand just taught everyone traveling and they stopped spending 90% of their time traveling the hard way. Maybe then the main characters could of interacted more.

Reminder that Perrin had traveling before he went to see Masema and that trip was only supposed to take a few days to meet him and then bring everyone back to Rand via travelling. Instead, it somehow manages to take him 7 books before he meets up with a main character again (not include T'A'R). Seriously, I don't think he regroups until the end of ToM

Should have loving sent Matt, not like he was doing anything else in Path of Daggers

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 21, 2015

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Zarfol posted:

http://www.tor.com/2015/07/22/wot-companion-spin-the-wheel-2-excerpt-oath-rod/

Excerpt "2" from the Compendium on the Oath Rod and the Nine Rods of Dominion.

Pretty disappointing. Looks like the Compendium will be a Library check-out instead of a buy unless they are revealing the lovely entries.

Seriously, at least make up some loving names for the Nine Rods from the time before the War of Power. Come on, we want more useless backstory

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
If he was alive, it would probably be a lot better and we would be looking forward to our first outrigger book :smith:

Come on, at least give us some bullshit about they do after the last battle

EDIT: Wow, I never realized he was so young when he died, I had always thought he was in his 70s for some reason

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Aug 21, 2015

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Same, gonna go cancel my pre-order

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Mat is normal and thats why everyone likes him :colbert:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

fordan posted:

But they don't get the crazy speculation and arguments about how the series will end.

My favorite first read thing was being convinced Thom was dark friend for the first 1/3 of EOTW. He just knew too much and showed up too conveniently :tinfoil:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Pimpmust posted:

They really needed the time to touch up the companion huh.

It's pretty interesting to think of all the Bubble of Evil poo poo as being caused by Balefire. Not sure if it applies to the time they all get attacked by bedsheets though... but there might have been some Balefiring going on then too. Man, Jordan was really good with "mindfuck/time-loop/Mirror-images/Playing Cards attacks"-scenes (maybe his more pulpy-Conan background there).

Moraine used Balefire in The Dragon Reborn to kill the dark hounds, so it could work timeline wise

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Two Finger posted:

because the black ajah structure was built around infiltrating a very competent aes sedai organisation, the whole 'heart' thing is actually a brilliant infiltration tactic. it's just that it pretty much was completely unnecessary and seriously nerfed the effectiveness of the blacks

It seems like it would have been useful back when there were active hunts for black ajah, but they did such a great job of making everyone want to forget that they existed that it became more of a hinderance

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I have a friend who is going through the series for the first time and generally discuss after he finishes each book. He has managed to through Crossroad of Twilight (and New Spring) and is finally about to start on Knife of Dreams. It was really funny because I honestly couldn't remember what happened in CoT, and he could barely remember anything interesting despite having just finished it. Looking at wikipedia, man, nothing loving happens in it outside of Egwene getting captured.

Also looking at the entry for KoD, man, that is a good loving book. I wish some of the action could have been spread into the previous few, would have made them way better

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
He is a good writer, but a bad wordsmith. He can plot things out well and create good character interaction, but he doesn't have a good writing voice

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Pimpmust posted:

Nope, he wrote (most of?) the last chapter after the fightings done though, probably wasn't his finished draft.

You can probably count the number of chapters Jordan wrote in the last 3 books on one hand, he left some very sparse notes and recorded the general gist of it on tapes that served as a base for some of the other chapters.

And really, you don't need to know what he wrote to know he didn't write anything related to volcanogate, pocket gateway fuckery or mano-o-mano Demandred duels.

The Demandred duels all worked for me except Lan should have died while fighting him. Like, we hear about this move for 13 books being a sure way to get a killing blow if you don't mind dying yourself. And then he loving survives it

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

rchandra posted:

You remember when a Forsaken (I think Be'lal) comments about taking the "game called swords" and turning it into a tool of death? The martial uses of gateways are understandable developments as the Last Battle nears, and they become more commonly known - both by channellers and by military strategists, again emphasizing the themes of working together for greater strength.

Yeah, in one of the speeches from someone, they mentioned taking the games of swords and learning to kill with it. Plus A'rangar and Osan'gar are both from that poisoned knife dueling that was popular right before the war of power.

I will say that Demandred's character arc makes a little more sense with the cut chapters providing context.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yeah, that's what I meant by saying her behavior was "justified". She was corrupted by Fain and it made her insane so it's not like she was just naturally an evil Red, though she ended up becoming one. But it didn't really make it a difficult choice to reunify behind Egwene when given the chance and it meant that Elaida was basically doomed. When she gets captured at the end, you don't feel bad for her at all.

If she hadn't been corrupted, then there would have been some difficult, actually ideological decisions for the Tower to make. You may have ended up with two separate female channeler groups who were unable to reconcile. Or had Elaida still been captured, you would have at least felt bad for the fate that befell her. Instead, it's just a big, "Haha gently caress you," mixed with, "Oh, that's going to really mess with the Seanchan down the line since I bet Fain's taint will spread to her Sul'dam who will spread it to other Damane."

She also had the whole problem of spending a shitton of time directly under the thumb of the Black Ajah, and so much damage was done to the tower before she managed to remove Alviarin. Like she was making bad decisions before that, but she really wasn't off the rails and full on villain. We get a decent look at her in New Spring, and she was still ruthless back then, but she was clearly working to do what she thought was best for the tower.

Also, this just makes me even sadder that we will never get the outrigger books

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 18, 2016

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Please be HBO and not SyFy

Gonna laugh if its that she hired someone to write the outrigger books

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

RC Cola posted:

What was the previous pilot? Was it that bad?

It was filed in a weekend, and aired at 2 am in infomercial slot, so they could fulfill the letter of the contract and keep the rights.

it was really bad

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Haerc posted:

No word on the big announcement yet?

https://twitter.com/dragonmount/status/725344250875891712

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/dragonmount/status/725790200006242305

Basically looks like they managed to get Red Eagle to sell the rights to someone who will actually get it made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

JawKnee posted:

PLEASE BE HBO

but I bet it's like netflix or SyFy or whatever

https://twitter.com/dragonmount/status/725793487975632897

• Locked thread