Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I personally will not be satisfied unless every character shouts out their attack names in a sufficiently hotblooded fashion. River Undercuts The Bank! Heron Wading In The Rushes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

The Glumslinger posted:

I had to look this up since I honestly have never been able to follow his story in the books, but can I just say how loving dumb Osan'gar's storyline is? I mean, you bring back one of your foresaken from death, and rather than have him make new types of Shadowspawn or more Gholams, he just pals around with Rand? Was his original goal to turn the Black Tower to the shadow? He just seems like the most useless of all of the foresaken, which really is saying something

This is a running theme with the Forsaken in general. Sure they are all powerful and knowledgeable people, but they lack the support and infrastructure they had back in the day. Osan'gar suffers the most from this since he was basically a mad scientist with a buttload of prisoners and labs and breeding camps and what have you which all helped to facilitate his Shadowspawn projects, but in the present time none of that exists. He simply doesn't have the facilities and technical support he did during the War of Power, so he's reduced to being just Some Dude.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Robert Jordan was every character. Except the female ones. Those were all his wife.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
To be fair both Egwene and Gawyn's relationship is shot through with stupidity on both sides. None of the romances in WoT are particularly believable, though.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Rand and Min were okay. I found them to be one of the most believable couples because they spend a lot of time together and go through a lot of tough circumstances where they back one another up.

Rand and Elaine on the other hand...

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Zephyrine posted:

So in this one scene Egwene wants to make Nynaeve understand how dangerous the dream world is. So she summons two big men who then overpowers Nynaeve. Rips her shirt open and then begins kiss/Bite her while she cries

What the christ :v:

One of the many, many reasons why Egwene is the worst character.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Elayne only became truly infuriating once she got pregnant and started thinking she was invincible thanks to Min's readings, which led to her doing absurdly stupid things and getting dozens if not hundreds of people killed. By contrast Egwene slowly became more and more insufferable as time went on, with the occasional geyser of stupidity to liven things up.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Zephyrine posted:

Mat was raped and the women are just joking about it to the point where he feels embarrassed over getting raped

This is the worst thing I've read in quite a long time.

Yeah, those scenes were pretty loving awful.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Basically RJ's wife was far too lenient when it came to appraising his ideas and he should probably have got someone else to be his editor.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

socialsecurity posted:

To be true Wheel of Time your fan fiction characters would have to speak about 3 lines to each other not speak for about 5000 pages then be madly in love on their next interaction.

You'd also need plenty of sniffing, snorting, braid-tugging, dress-smoothing and in-character myopia.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

McNerd posted:

The Greens are historically the Battle Ajah, back in times when there was more occasion for Aes Sedai to fight, so the "Captain-General" thing makes a little sense. More so, I think they take it seriously, sort of like how obese men in Taekwondo classes have been known to call themselves "warriors". The Greens get to flatter themselves, the other Ajahs get a good excuse to put someone else on the front lines in the unlikely event that the poo poo ever goes down: everyone wins!

Basically this. The last time the Green Ajah actually did something important was in the Trolloc Wars and those were thousands of years ago. Very few have actual combat experience.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
The last three books are amazing. Sanderson did a great job wrapping everything up.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
There are people like Zephyrine who are reading through and posting their thoughts. It is extremely dickish to post a bunch of spoilers simply because people asked you not to.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Robert Jordan had some really bizarre ideas about human interaction, particularly regarding the relationship between the sexes.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

RC Cola posted:

Also that Tylin literally rapes him

Worst scene in the whole series right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
The sensing Darkspawn thing is probably one of the early bookisms that got phased out once the initial trilogy expanded since I don't recall it happening in the latter half of the series. There are a lot of Darkspawn ambushes that would've been foiled otherwise.

• Locked thread