Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
So I'm rereading and its hilarious bow much nyaneve fucks things up. In Tarabon she sets off a civil war, in gheldien she sets off a war. Just back to back books she is directly causing riots. Also gently caress Egwene. Look at me everything goes my way no matter what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Stereo posted:

Meanwhile Perrin/Nynaeve continue to annoy the poo poo out of me.
That doesn't go away. Nyaneve has her moments and Perrin is cool in books 4,6, and 12-14 imo

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Lord of chaos remains my favorite book in the series. I'm so happy I'm finally to it.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

fordan posted:

Yup. We now have the Big Black Book of Bad Glossaries to go with the Big White Book of Bad Art.

Yeah but it talks about the age of legends and stuff. So that's cool

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Lord of Chaos is good.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

What is Tarabon then? How about Seanchan

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

Elayne never gets better

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

JawKnee posted:

can you feel it?

Can you feel the weight of the perrin/faile chapters to come?

Please don't. I'm on LoC right now. Egwene just got told she'll be amrylim. I have so much hope. Don't ruin it.
And matt is always awesome. The problem with Elayne is she just keeps getting worse. she gets knocked up by Rand and spends 2 books complaining about how its his fault.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

JawKnee posted:

Make good use of your thumbs: skip them. They don't mean a goddamn thing in the overall plot.

I.... I can't

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Blind Melon posted:

I will defend Mat to the death.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

JawKnee posted:

I'm in the midst of my nth readthrough - though I'm now reading to my SO (who has never read the series before despite my promoting it as cool and also good for years) like some kind of third-rate audio-book. It's interesting getting someone's reaction who didn't start reading the books in early high-school like I did.

She started out hating Mat/Egwene, liking Rand/Perrin/Nynaeve, neutral on others (up to book 3 or so)

This progressed to extremely disliking Faile/Perrin/the Aes Sedai in general/The Seanchan, liking Rand/Nynaeve (up to book 5 say)

And now that we're up to book 7 she loving hates Perrin/Faile/Elayne/The Aes Sedai, likes Egwene/Nynaeve/Rand/Mat

And book 7 starts with a real tiresome block of Perrin's whingy perspective
Canadiens gently caress you. (From the nhl thread.)
But yeah. I keep trying to get my fiancé to read the WoT but can't do it. I'm rereading it for the first time since 14 came out and its pretty cool knowing where Demandred was this time through. Also Mat is amazing always and Faile, and Elayne are the worst. Egwene just upsets me because everything is handed to her forever and she's always looking down on Rand who is struggling to walk to his own death to save the world its just infuriating. Not a thank you for anything ever.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

broken clock opsec posted:

Which is all so much horseshit because in the end Egwene dies and Rand lives. With his harem.
Well I'm glad of that part. gently caress Egwene.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Stop triggering me!

Real talk: I was legit much more upset by Rhuarc's death than anyone else's. That was painful.

Same. If they killed Mat I would been p mad though

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Torrannor posted:

There's also Gawyn. But my reaction to his death was more like "good riddance" or "about time!".

Same.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

And Mat and his band lieutenants were just letting that poo poo fester. It's very obviously a thing where you're meant to experience dissonance over what Mat's narrative is vs. what's really going on, like with Rand, and less obviously so with Perrin.

Of course, some people just resolve that dissonance by awarding all points to the POV character's narrative.

The next chapter is from nynaeve's perspective and she talks about how Elyane is purposefully pointing poo poo out that Mat was going to do already to piss him off so he'd do what she wanted him to do aka look at his foxhead

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

JawKnee posted:

where was this stated?

It wasn't.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I forgot that Elayne and Nynaeve spend the whole series thinking he's an incompetent moron. Also that Tylin literally rapes him

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

PS the first 10 chapters of book 8 suck. gently caress Elayne and gently caress Perrin.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

This is where "The Slump" begins. You got three books to slog through before poo poo gets better. Though the ending of 9 is great, but the rest of that book is rear end.

8 is also awful because there is no Matt. And too much sea folk. 10 is ok because of matt stuff at least. And 9. Plus the end is good. 8 is the worst book

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

JawKnee posted:

she's 16 when first introduced to the reader

Even more likely to fall in love with a strange tall handsome man

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

I think in Egwene's case we're meant to understand that her Aiel training equipped her to deal with the Tower(s) politics in unexpectedly strong and shrewd ways, and also that nobody, not one person within the Tower or without, ever took her seriously until it was too late and she ruled everything. The rebels set her up as a puppet that could conveniently take the fall when they ended the rebellion, and then after capturing her the Tower, by which I mean Mesaana, (also assuming she was just a puppet, I mean the girl is like 18 for the Creator's sake) figured breaking her would be easy work of maybe a week.

Also we rightly complain about Elayne being in luuuuuurve with some dude she's spent a grand total of maybe a week with, but at least Rand is a Protagonist. Egwene's bizarre infatuation with Elayne's spectacularly dimwitted brother, the George Costanza of Randland who can be absolutely relied upon to do exactly the wrong thing every single time he makes a decision, is a hundred times worse. It makes no loving sense at any point ever. Not even in a "teenage hormones, dude" way.

But one time he drempt of her and they had sex probably

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

JawKnee posted:

I don't actually care to defend Gawyn and Egwene's relationship (or any of them really) but they may have spent quite a lot more time together that we didn't get to see in the period in book 2 where Egwene/Elayne/Nynaeve were actually in the Tower for an extended period of time

Matt and Tuon is pretty good imo. So is Nynaeve/Lan. Even Perrin/Faile, and I hate Faile. Egwene and Elayne felt forced because they're main characters that had to have a romance.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

In this instance I don't know why Tuon gets credit for living life with Mat on the run for a couple months and Elayne, for example, doesn't get credit for going out and about doing things (and occasionally bumbling) but having to live a life on the lam hiding from rioters, Whitecloaks, and the Forsaken from books 4 through 7.

Tuon is alone with the enemy. Elayne is with Nynaeve, Thom, Jullian, Bayle, and many others helping her out.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Tuon had her secret bodyguard and a few others in the entourage who would probably die for her. And she is also hardly defenseless herself. She also more or less knows though hasn't 100% confirmed that she will marry Mat.

Alone with the "enemy" is also some kind of hilarious exaggeration considering at that point it was literally the only safe place for her to be.

Next.

Elayne is one of the strongest one power users in the world and only has to fear her own stupidity for the most part

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Atlas Hugged posted:

Elayne: I'm the best to I'm the best.
It also never gets old having Elayne and Egwene always thinking how Rand isn't really a King and they can't believe people take him seriously as most of the world bows to him

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Also being convinced that Rand used compulsion on Aes Sedai. Best of all, Egwene thinking that using compulsion on Aes Sedai is extra bad. Who cares about normal people?

Double standards are such a huge part of Aes Sedai life. Egwene's whole Matt and Rand are so incompetent and stupid and only I know what is good attitude is annoying. Yes you came from a small village and are now the big dog. What makes you think the freaking Dragon Reborn and another person from that village can have character growth over two years. Forgetting that Matt and Rand saved them at Falme, and Matt did again at Tear and for Elayne again at Ebou Dar.
It's just infuriating.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Just finished 8 and am rereading 9 now. It's a chore. It's not even enjoyable. gently caress Elayne and Perrin forever.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Also how stupid is Elayne to make that Bargain with the Sea Folk. Heh we'll give you 20 Aes Sedai as slaves and this bowl that you want more than anything. Please change the weather so every person on the planet including you doesn't die.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Also also the 13x13 turning is some bad bullshit writing that always pissed me off. Why didn't the many black ajah in the tower slowly convert every Aes Sedai over time? They have hundreds of years and apparently there is plenty of places to hide in the basement to do it.

E: Mila Kunis would be a good Min

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 11, 2016

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

ShadowCatboy posted:

Aes Sedai and Warders can sense Myrddraal. If any halfmen entered the Tower they'd immediately be detected. I'd also expect wards would have been set to prevent Myrddraal from entering the more secluded areas. While it might be possible for a 13x13 turning to occur outside of the White Tower, the logistics of organizing so much halfman/womanpower is a bit prohibitive unless you knew where to find a couple isolated Aes Sedai.

It seems like something they could work around over 3000 years

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I just got through the Matt part of Winter's Heart. God I love Matt, and I am not looking forward to reading about Elayne again.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I'm on book 11 and flying through. The difference between 8-10 and 11 is staggering. Only bad parts have Elayne.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

Bad books are over, it's all good from here. Though the final book is still the weakest of the Sanderson contributions. It really reads like a checklist of poo poo that has to happen before the series can close. Still, it's light years better than 8,9, and 10.

I'm super stoaked for this. I've read 14 once, 13 twice, 12 three times, and 11 four times. The further I get the less I remember. It's nice to be surprised by some things again

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

Yup, and we all know this would've happened had Jordan not been terminated diagnosed.

Wheel of time 19. The battle for the Lion Throne.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

JawKnee posted:

I'm not so sure. As it is we won't get to see what happens in Shara after all this, or Seanchan, or the other planned prequels, which is unfortunate.

While I like Sanderson's Mistborn stuff, I felt like the ending there was poorly executed as well. I haven't read any of his other books, maybe it's a common theme?

It would be nice to see some of Demandred's adventures in Shara, and Matt and Tuon dealing with each other post last battle. Reactions to Matt saving the world with his leadership.
I just read as if the world were fog in knife of dreams. I forgot how satisfying it is reading Tuon's perspective of Matt. A lion on the high plains indeed

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Back to Wheel of Time chat. Book 12 is wonderful. Rand's path down the dark side if well done

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Egwene vs the seanchan was very powerful

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

The chapters of her blowing them out of the sky and saving whoever she could in the tower and the end of the book (Veins of Gold, I'm looking at you) were just so cathartic.

I got chills at Veins of Gold. My fiancé kept looking at me wondering why I was giggling like a madman.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

Yeah, Veins of Gold is up there for best chapter of the series, right next to ending of Lord of Chaos where Rand says "Kneel or be Knelt!" or something.

Kneel to the Lord dragon or you will be knelt by taim is a powerful line. Also rand meeting egwene in calm serenity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Mad Hamish posted:

Yes, but is there anything Elayne actually does like?

Being in charge

• Locked thread