Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Random question that came to me today: After Jasin Natael vanished, did anybody ever comment on it? I seem to remember Rand wondering if he had returned to his former group soon afterwards, but nothing later and nothing from anybody else. After Dumai's Wells maybe that just didn't seem important anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Zephyrine posted:

Okay so I'm half way through book 4 and I an loving this series.

Hopefully Matt and Siuan Sanche will become romantically involved later on. That's a romance I could believe.

And here I thought I was an optimist, hoping for Harry and Luna to be a pair in Harry Potter.

Your choice would be almost as wonderful to me; they show a lot of understanding of each other for members of the opposite sex in this series.

At least one Aes Sedai does complain about the fish sayings.

Also, it's Mat.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

He really should have died in A Crown of Swords. Rand could even have had a Heron Wading / Sheathe the Sword moment again, taking the wound to his side to mirror The Great Hunt (and then continuing with Cadsuane/Samitsu/Flynn as written). Or have the thrown knife get him (again letting Fain still get his own strike in).

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

The Traveling that Ishamael did in the Eye of the World's Prologue is different from what we see otherwise, and is much less "abusable". It was interesting to see the natural development of Traveling's uses in-universe, but sticking with that initial version would have kept it more mystical. Skimming was a nice compromise form that I was sad to see vanish.

Did anybody ever rediscover how to make oneself fly with the Power? I remember Moiraine and Siuan both mentioning it as a lost Talent.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

From Rand's point of view Taim has often been very helpful, and he has sympathetic aspects: Taim is just another victim of the curse of the Power, like Rand, attacked by the White Tower for being something he had no control over. I think this makes it harder to find fault with him, and then you add Dumai's Wells (the what, not the how). There is also the gift of the seal, it seemed reasonable to assume a Darkfriend would never give that to Rand (even to the reader, considering Bayle Domon's seal in the Great Hunt). On my first read I thought evil Taim was a red herring :(.

Ika posted:

I always assumed that referred to power powered airplanes and not really superman like flying.
Forsaken mention sho-wings and such but both Aes Sedai imply it was personal flight (Siuan demonstrating Air to Nynaeve/Egwene en route to the Tower in The Great Hunt, Moiraine in The Dragon Reborn "At least he has not rediscovered how to fly, or make himself invisible, or something else out of legend"). Some other Aes Sedai also talked about a novice jumping off the Tower, sure she knew how.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

nitpick: that's not the eponymous tower, it's the Tower of Ghenjei..

I wish there were fewer random loose ends in the series. One that just came to me: when Elayne and Nynaeve used need to find the Bowl of the Winds, first they found something in the Tower, and then decided they needed "a ter'angreal that's not in the Tower". I wonder what it was that they were first going to find?

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Unless I'm missing some difference between titular and eponymous, that's still not right - the "Towers of Midnight" refers to something else entirely.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

Dhoom never bothered me. Did they even use it in text? I'm rereading A Crown of Swords and Egwene calls it the Pit of Doom.
Those are two different things. The Mountains of Dhoom run east-west through the Blight. Tarwin's Gap is a pass through there, where that battle was fought at the end of Eye of the World. The mountains are mentioned in TEOTW for sure, when they're trying to find the Green Main (Chapter 49). The Pit of Doom is in the mountain of Shayol Ghul (farther north in the Blasted Lands), where you can feel the Bore and the presence of the Dark One.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

GreyPowerVan posted:

I read New Spring before the actual first book but I think it may be better to read it after the first book instead.

Someone else can chime in probably.

Because of general style changes in the books over time, I'd read New Spring in publication order (as book 8.5 I think?). I think your knowledge of/caring about the characters in each book will be at a better place that way as well. Narnia works better that way too!

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

socialsecurity posted:

Really wonder how different things would be if like halfway through the series Rand just taught everyone traveling and they stopped spending 90% of their time traveling the hard way.
This sort of happened: book 6 he helps Egwene figure out T'A'R hopping and she refines it to learn the proper way from Moghedien, and then it does get used to move troops and individuals sometimes...

socialsecurity posted:

Maybe then the main characters could of interacted more
So there was no excuse. These heroes weren't as bright and co-operative as we'd like.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Khizan posted:

Combine the two and there's basically no helpfulness limit that rules somebody out as a member of the Black Ajah.

There was a Black sister at the Cleansing - Elza. She believed that Rand had to succeed until the Last Battle, so was quite happy to help take down Forsaken there.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

When books 8-11 came out I was often frustrated that things weren't happening. When I was re-reading them I noticed that it wasn't that they weren't happening, but I would be caring more about some plotlines than others and then had to wait years for progress. On a re-read I didn't have that problem so it was much more enjoyable. Knife of Dreams really turned up the speed, I imagine that Jordan could have finished in 14 as easily as Sanderson.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

The Sea Folk are part of the world too though, they are equally over the same barrel.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

The Draghkar that attacked Moiraine/Vandene/Adeleas, yeah. In general the sensing hasn't given all that much warning - see the big Trolloc attack at the start of The Dragon Reborn.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

You remember when a Forsaken (I think Be'lal) comments about taking the "game called swords" and turning it into a tool of death? The martial uses of gateways are understandable developments as the Last Battle nears, and they become more commonly known - both by channellers and by military strategists, again emphasizing the themes of working together for greater strength.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

uugengiven posted:

I would utterly believe that in the book world, people would give Elayne goat's milk if it gave her the runs. There are a lot of little instances where Jordan shows that everyone hates Elayne, not just the readers. My favorite is when she gives a super insulting bow to someone in Tanchico when she is pretending to be a maid and then is all confused why they were mad, cause it's the same bow she's sure her servants have given her hundreds of times.

My understanding is that bow/curtsy was insulting because the recipient was also a commoner, so it would be taken as mocking.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

It's a pity Elaida never learned of Rand's birth mother. Assuming you know what prophecies mean is always tricky, it's worked out better for some than others.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

New Spring also has a very different style than the early novels, matching the time when it was written - I'd recommend any time after book 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Fain is one of those things that seemed to mean more to Jordan than to an objective outsider. I really wish he'd just died in ACoS, there was a perfect moment and everything he'd done would have continued fine.

• Locked thread