Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Book 10 was the one that killed the series for me. I started reading WOT right before Lord of Chaos was released, but book 10 came out when I was in college and I just couldn't finish it. I think that was the one with the 100 page prologue, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Late last year, I decided 2016 was going to be the year I took a final shot at re-reading the Wheel of Time. I think I picked up the series for the first time when I was in middle school, during the lead-up to the release of Lord of Chaos. I read the first five books, then Lord of Chaos, then started waiting. Read book 7 when it came out, then book 8, then book 9. 7 and 8 were a terrible letdown after the first six, but thankfully book 9 got me back on track. Unfortunately, book 10 came out when I was in college, and was terrible, and it killed my interest in the series entirely. Was that the one with the 100 page prologue?

So I quit on book 10 and never looked back. Ever since hearing Sanderson was picking the series up and finishing it, I've always meant to go back to it, but never made the time. Now I've decided I want to read two chapters per day and finish it by the end of 2016. I'm 30 chapters into Eye of the World, and it's been a great experience so far. Divorced of all the expectations borne out of years and years of anticipation, it's easier to pick the books up and enjoy them unencumbered. Although I pick up on the cribs from Fellowship of the Ring more now than when I was 12, it's not a big deal. I like the characters a lot and, somewhat to my surprise, it really is a good story. It's my first re-read in 20 years, so I'm not picking up on all the little things put there for repeat readers, but it's still fun to notice the things I do catch. I'm not looking forward to getting to the books that soured my opinion on the series years ago, but it's been a lot of fun so far and we'll see how it goes.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I'm in the middle of my re-read now and I'm pretty sure that in Book 2 there is a Trolloc attack that no one sensed and they say it was because someone Warded the Trolloc.

• Locked thread