Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
subpage
May 27, 2003

Alea iacta est
I doubt those with great ideas and uses for power on the dark side would be as willing to share it. They seem to love keeping everything they gain as personal power/tricks to be used on each other. They figured they would win it anyways, might as well keep the good poo poo for the battle between themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

subpage
May 27, 2003

Alea iacta est

Kaninrail posted:

The one thing that bugged me about the Last Battle is that for at least 4 months in advance, virtually all the food in the world has rotted away, people have been on starvation rations for ages, and there basically should just be no way that any army in the world should be strong enough to win even an easy battle, let alone hold off endless hordes for days at a time, outside of the areas where Rand has been able to personally hold off the corruption of the food supplies. After 4 months of ultra-limited rations, if there was even unspoiled food at all, those soldiers should've fallen over to a light breeze.

This is not true, any nation under Rand's banner is mostly free from this issue.

subpage
May 27, 2003

Alea iacta est
if he doesn't want to be found, he simply would not be found now. He can just warp reality into people not wanting to find him.

subpage
May 27, 2003

Alea iacta est
There were people guessing that he was in Sahar since book 11 or 12. So I doubt he winged it. He may have intended to have Demandred/Taim in the early books, but then again maybe not. We have no way of knowing. :(

subpage
May 27, 2003

Alea iacta est
I'd watch it, but I watch a lot of horrible TV. This is some Xena level bad TV though.

subpage
May 27, 2003

Alea iacta est
Ya, still no way in hell they get a run with that.

subpage
May 27, 2003

Alea iacta est

The Glumslinger posted:

Considering they aired it a 1:30AM on FXX with zero advertising, interviews, or anything to hype it, I don't think they were trying to

Na, it was clearly what Dragonmount says, a legal move to keep the rights. I'm fine with that, I don't think they could do a live action WoT at this point in time without it being awful anyways.

subpage
May 27, 2003

Alea iacta est

The Glumslinger posted:

Oh, and the director apparently died in a car crash like a day after he finished editing it :stonk:

So even The Creator wasn't pleased.

subpage
May 27, 2003

Alea iacta est

the kawaiiest posted:

They would need a huge SFX budget for a WoT series, it would be so heavy on CGI and makeup. I think it would probably cost a lot more than Game of Thrones. And I mean, it's huge... I would love to see it, but I don't think it's ever going to happen. :(

Also, the WoT fan film is better than Winter Dragon (except for the Aes Sedai at the beginning, she's terrible).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt10nbVSerY

This was so much better than the crap REE poo poo out.

subpage
May 27, 2003

Alea iacta est
A WoT TV series would have to be 20 seasons long without doing some major cutting to the world.

subpage
May 27, 2003

Alea iacta est

Yorkshire Tea posted:

One minor thing I really liked in book 7. When Elayne goes off with Matt she spends time inspecting the camp and finds a bunch of issues with Matt's soldiers. Ages later it emerges that she's actually quite good with military strategy and organisation because of how she was trained, but crucially that had been demonstrated to the reader books and books earlier on a smaller scale.

The best part is that you're incredibly likely to have overlooked it because it comes from Matt's perspective at the time and he's really really upset that Elayne's actually popular with his men.

I remember this as her being more of a "I'll put him in his place" thing. She points out a bunch of super obvious poo poo that anybody would know being raised in a castle, then uses it to try an take the lead with Matt. Once again looking down her nose at her "subjects".

Ugh, I hated that woman.

subpage
May 27, 2003

Alea iacta est

broken clock opsec posted:

And Mat and his band lieutenants were just letting that poo poo fester. It's very obviously a thing where you're meant to experience dissonance over what Mat's narrative is vs. what's really going on, like with Rand, and less obviously so with Perrin.

Of course, some people just resolve that dissonance by awarding all points to the POV character's narrative.

Pretty sure it's stated over and over that Mat is probably the most competent military commander and officer the world has ever seen. I doubt he was letting anything fester. She just goes and points it out in front of his men so that she can show off and look good in front of his men. She was one of the most unlikable characters in the series really. Great at the game of houses, but a lovely person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

subpage
May 27, 2003

Alea iacta est
Elayne's story is consistent with her character imo. She's a nice person, but at her core she's a noble raised to be the next Queen. Sharks be acting like sharks yo, she's not any different than half the Kings and nobles we see in the other Kingdoms.

Somebody like Rand would be like a dream come true to a 16 year old princess. He's handsome, rich, powerful, the Nobelist of noble blood, and on top of that seems to be a nice guy who treats her well. For somebody that probably assumed she'd be marrying some ugly toad from the other noble houses he might as well be prince charming and the baddest of bad boys rolled into one.

Rand has less of a consistent inner reason for falling so madly in love with her, but it's not unbelievable, and even he resists it to an extent. She's a pretty young princess, that all but throws herself at him, but keeps enough back to not offend his own somewhat shy personality. I don't think he really believes anything will happen with her until the four way mind-loving. By then he's much more comfortable with who he has to be, and how that makes him exempt from a lot of social and personal beliefs. Also a little crazy, trying very hard to find good things his life.

Egwene and the prince of nothing is a little harder to swallow, but maybe because she was one of the least consistent characters from the main crew.

• Locked thread