Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Nynaeve's very first scene and she's in hardcore bitch mode to Rand. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I love how Thom is introduced. The best part of his charecter is that he doesn't change too much personality wise throughout the series, he just gets more bad-rear end.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

One posted:

Does Rand ever accept his fate at any point in the series? If I have to read the words "I Wont! I wont!" as internal monologue much more "I wont" want to keep reading.:smugbert:

Yes, it happens in book 3.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I'm a little behind on the reading, but there's this great moment in Chapter 10 or so when Lan is talking about how wolves hate trollocs and Perrin gets excited and goes, "Wolves!" Its such a cute :haw: moment.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I'm a bit behind in the re-read, but I'm at the scene in Baerlon with Moiraine and Nynaeve having a "pleasant" conversation. Is this the only scene where we learn Nynaeve's backstory? She mentions that her dad took her out hunting and taught her everything he knew about tracking because he didn't have any sons. She then says both her parents died, but we never learn why or how. Is there any more, or is that it for the rest of the series?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

They are actually brought up in the bonus chapter in the one edition, nothing very specific that I can remember but they're described as a big and close family, lots of daughters I think? The chapter is called Ravens and it's from Nynaeve's perspective like 5 or so years before EotW starts.

Ah, thats the secret chapter that he wrote for the Young Adult version of the book that he split in two. I hope that gets released as a bonus somewhere, perhaps in the upcoming encylopedia or something. I just can't justify the 6 bux that amazon wants for it. (I don't want to :filez: it either...)

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I think New Spring came out around the time of book 10. Really theres only two main things to get out of New Spring.

It was the first time that you learn what the test to become Aes Sedai is like and what the ceremony involving the oath rod is. This is also the first time you really get a good look at how stupid Aes Sedai are in regards to how they take orders from whomever is the stongest in the power.

Secondly, you get to see how Moiraine dedicates her life to finding the Dragon reborn and how she bonds Lan.

The first point gets re-iterated in book 12 I think when Nynaeve goes through the same test.

The second point is kinda told through flashbacks and maybey briefly mentioned by Moiraine at points throughout the main series. However it is cool to see it actually happen.

Bottom line, read New Spring if you are a Lan or Moiraine fanboy, otherwise its not really crucial to the over-all series. The book is 75% filler, 15% lovely Aes Sedai politics, and 10% kickass fight scenes. The ending is cool though and makes the slog through the book worth it in my opinion.

Siuan did get on my nerves with her constant "Fishguts!" crap. :)

EDIT: Oh yeah, theres also implied pillowfriends sex if your into that, and I think Lan gets raped pretty badly as well.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 23, 2012

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Oh god, for the longest time I pronuced her as Eggy-AHN-nin. Not sure why I couldnt pronuounce the W in her name somehow. I blame my 13 year old self.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Prison Warden posted:

Eganin is a different character.

Trust me, when I got to that charecter in the book, my mind was blown. In fact, I think thats what made me use the glossary in the back of the books to learn to pronounce them properly.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Frankly I can't believe we've made it 5 pages deep and nobody has posted this yet.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

cryptoclastic posted:

Questions, etc.

I'll do my best, others might want to elaborate further.

1. Probably. I always assumed that the bad guys wanted to use the eye because they knew that the Horn and such was trapped there and wanted it.

2. Yes.

3. Ahh the infamous ALL CAPS VOICE from book 1. Let me copy/paste it here in full so we can examine it.

"The Light blind you, Ba'alzamon! This has to end!"

IT IS NOT HERE.

It was not Rand's thought, making his skull vibrate.

I WILL TAKE NO PART. ONLY THE CHOSEN ONE CAN DO WHAT MUST BE DONE, IF HE WILL.

"Where?" He did not want to say it, but he could not stop himself. "Where?"
The haze surrounding him parted, leaving a dome of clear clean air ten spans high, walled by billowing smoke and dust. Steps rose before him, each standing alone and unsupported, stretching up into the murk that obscured the sun.

NOT HERE.

Most of the WOT fansites (dragonmount and theorlyand) seem to believe that this is the Creator speaking directly to Rand. In other words, the Creator is not allowed to directly influence Man and the world for some such reasons only he knows, but he can work through his champion.

BOOK 6 SPOILERS AHEAD IN RELATION TO QUESTION 3
This all caps voice never shows up again untill book 6. Here, it is clearly the Dark One talking to Demandred as they are in the pit at Shayol Ghul. It would make sense that if the Dark One can talk to his minions, that the Creator can talk to his. Honestly, nobody knows if this voice in book 1 is really the creator or not, but I have feeling that we will find out when the last book is released this fall. Maybey.

4. Mega spoilers from future books.Ba'alzomon is definately Ishamael. Of all the forsaken that where bound with the Dark One, he is the only one who is left to manipulate the world during the 3000 or so years. He is directly responsible for Artur Hawkwing conquering the world, the Trolloc wars, and the Seanchan.

Ishmael is the Dark One's main champion, just like Lews Therin/Rand is the Creator's champion. They have been fighting each other throughout all the ages though they have gone by different names. At the end of book 3, Rand will kill Ba'alzamon/Ishameal, but the Dark One will re-incarnate him as Moridin. In fact most of the Forsaken that get killed are re-incarnated unless they die by Balefire. (Or majorily piss off the Dark One like Asmodeon does.)

Overall, the ending scenes from this book have always been sort of confusing and wonky for me. I understand what takes place, but I just don't think it was written that well. I chalk it up to RJ still learning how to write good epic fantasy at this point. He knew what he wants to say, it just comes out a little jumbled for me. I'm reminded of how confusing the flashback within a flashback section was with Rand and Matt, I just think it could have been done a little better. Book 2 has a much better written climax that flows a lot easier in my mind, I think he really starts to settle in as a writer at that point. The book 3 ending is really well done and a massive improvement over the first book.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 28, 2012

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I'm crossposting this from the main thread, but here is a great lengthy blog post that walks you through the timeline of WOT starting with the 1st AGE up through the breaking. Part 2 will cover the breaking and the exile of the Da'Shain Aiel.

Obviously there are probably spoilers in this, so read at your own risk, but I found it to be most enjoyable.

http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2012/01/wheel-of-time-so-far-part-1-age-of.html

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

omnibobb posted:

Guys, I feel bad - I'm so behind in this book. I just finished chapter 7. I'm shameful.

But maybe I can catch up this week!

:siren:Week of February 6 - The Great Hunt, Chapters 19 - 35:siren:

I just finished book 1 yesterday, considering the chapter discussion has died down, I'm wondering where everybody else is in the re-read.

Speaking of the end of book 1, its so charming when Rand proudly proclaims, "I did it! I killed Shai-tan!! HURRRR!!!!" :downs:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I just reached the part in the book where Rand meets the Amyrlin for the first time. This is some of Jordan's greatest writing in the whole series. The best part is when Siuan channels her inner Chris Hanson and asks Rand, "Why don't you have a seat over there?"

Rand says something like, "Thank you but I would prefer to stand. The Watch is not yet complete."

"God-dammit Moiraine, you've been letting Lan spend time with him!"

:roflolmao:

Its also going to be fascinating to watch every scene with Verrin in it knowing what happens in book 12.

That was the best kept secret of the whole series. Well at least until AMOL comes out, I hope.

:munch:

I also love the part where Moiraine explains about Tam Al'thor, and Rand keeps having flashbacks about Tam's fever dream. Chilling stuff.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I'm at the part in book 2 where Rand, Hurrin, and Loial are travelling through the other side of the portal stone and Loial stops by a tree to make himself a Sungwood quarterstaff. I know Sungwood was talked about briefly in the first book, but are there any other examples throughout the series where Sungwood is mentioned or performed? Is this another example of Jordan coming up with a cool idea and not being able to find a good place for it to appear again?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

From a plot standpoint, the best places to take a break are after books 3, 6, and 9.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's a good question. One of the really interesting things about WoT is how much the story changes when you think about it from outside the narrated PoV. Jordan does all kinds of neat stuff with point of view that gets overlooked because [fantasy novel]. What do Rand and Perrin seem like to other people who can't hear their internal monologues? What character changes are occurring even in the main characters, when they're on screen but not the PoV?

This unfortunately gets taken to the extreme in book 10 when we are treated to lots of different viewpoints as to what happened at the end of book 9. I would not have minded that much if book 10 had anything interesting happen in it at all other than page after page of Faile's captivity and Elayne being stupid. Not looking forward to that can of :can: when we get there...

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Jedit posted:

Not to be a pedant, but your spoiler actually takes place in book 9.

And stretches on into book 10, and book 11...

In fact I think the captivity actually happens at the end of book 8. Thats four drat books that Jordan drags that plotline out over.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 14, 2012

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Jedit posted:

You're right, I beg your pardon. The other thing, though, I don't know why you bothered to single it out as it happens in every book.

For me at least, I didn't start to get annoyed with Elayne untill the whole Rand's babies are PROTECTED because MIN SAW THEM IN A VISION, THEREFORE I AM IMMORTAL!!!! :supaburn:

I think doesn't start untill around book 10?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

All I can say is that we had at least a 10 page arguement over Elayne in the book 13 thread, and I can't wait to rehash it all over again 5 or so months from now.

:suicide:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ok, I just read through the chapter where Nynaeve takes the Accepted test. Its pretty obvious what the last two tests where about, but why was she running around a maze hunting Aginor in the first one? What was that supposed to represent? :saddowns:

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 15, 2012

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

If the first test was supposed to be about "What Was", then she should have had a vision about her childhood or something. Maybey she could relive her Mom's death or something. The Aginor maze makes no sense.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Books 2 and 3 (and 4?) are cute in how Rand, Matt, and Perrin all go off and do stuff, then the supergirls show up, big climatic fight with a Forsaken or two, then the next book begins.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Crossposting from the book 13 thread.

:siren:A Memory of Light will release on January 8, 2013:siren:

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/02/the-release-date-for-a-memory-of-light-has-been-set?WT.mc_id=0

Well at least we can now re-calculate how much we have to read each week in order to meet the deadline.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Great Hunt posted:

"There are Darkfriends among the high as well as the low," Verin said smoothly.

Oh Verin, you rascally Aes Sedai you. :allears:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Children of the Light and their leaders are the most incompetent group in WOT, even the members who are turned to the Shadow. The only group worse than them is Elaida's Divided White Tower, but we'll talk more about that when we get to book 4-5

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Quad posted:

So I'm a little ahead, book 4 right now. Does Galad become a whitecloak? :( I thought he was smarter than that. Although I guess it was foreshadowed with his attitude of "he'd turn you in for doing the slightest thing wrong, just because he feels you didn't live up to his standards."

If you really want to know,
I'm pretty sure he becomes one either in book 6 or 7. However the real drama with his story arc goes down in book 13, Towers of Midnight. I can spoil what happens at that point if you really want me too.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Oh god Gawyn is terrible. There is nothing ever redeeming about him. Even when his story arc is complete (book 12, I think?) he's still an insuffarable twat. I kept praying that he would be the one to die in this series, but hahah no main charecters are ever going to die. Except Rand. :downs: Perhaps.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I just read the section where the super girls return to the White Tower after the events in book 2. Holy gently caress did they go full blown retard mode when the Whitecloaks showed up. I WILL NOT BE CHAINED AGAIN!!!:argh: The first of many times Egwene will scream this over the course of the next 10 books.

Also is Faolain ever confirmed to be Black Ajah? I can't remember if it was just a red herring or not. Probably better spoiler the answer if anybody knows.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

arioch posted:

Apparently a red herring. She's a stickler for authority and propriety and didn't like how the supergirls were treated, first when they were special, and then when Egwene was raised as a puppet she didn't like that either. So she swore fealty to Egwene and was one of her chief helpers in taking the Amyrlin Seat for realsies.

Although she's apparently missed the purge because she's camped outside the Black Tower, so she hasn't herself been tested on an Oath Rod yet. But I don't think she is BA.

God its so hard to keep track of where all these sub characters are at, thanks. I can't wait to re-read all the last 3 books or so, I'm sure theres a million other minor details like this I've forgotten.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

It was stupid for Elayne to blurt out, "I am the Daughter-heir of Andor and you will let me pass right now!" and for Egwene to reveal that they came from Falme where bunches of Whitecloaks died. I also don't think it was the smartest move to make the ground explode when Aes Sedai have spent the past 1000 years or so trying to convince the world that they wont attack anybody that isn't Shadowspawn.

All they had to do was shutup and let Verrin talk their way through. This won't be the last time the Supergirls get into trouble like this.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Did they ever explain why it takes 13 Aes Sedai and 13 Myrdraal, other than it just does?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

omnibobb posted:

It's something about the weaves, probably some form of compulsion, are actually woven through the Myrdraal then into the victim.

drat, you should pick up some the Myrdraal powers by having this done to you, like the ability to fade into shadows and the fear stare.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

So Egwene returns from her trip through the Arches and finds Elayne crying into Nynaeve's shoulders screaming, "I can't be that bad, Egwene, can I?!"

Not for at least another 6 or 7 books...

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Quad posted:

I felt like a very non-critical reader today, as characters showed up again Egeanin and Floran Gelb (not really a huge spoiler) that I literally had no idea who they were and had to check online. :(
Is this just gonna happen more and more as it goes on? I think I've only made it up to about book 7 or 8 ever, and that was when they came out, and I'm towards the end of book 4 now.

It absolutely gets worse and worse, culminating in the controversial book 10. Thankfully books 11,12, and 13 get the plot back on track and focused towards the end-game. This has always been one of my chief criticisms of the series, the cast is just too drat huge. I honestly felt that Jordan was expecting to keep writing this series on and on for another 10-15 books or so before he was terminally diagnosed.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I'd forgotten most of the chapters where the Supergirls travel south to Tear. Holy crap do they all act bitchy to each other most of the time. Also where the gently caress did Nynaeve learn to Balefire somebody out of the blue? :psyduck: Though I guess this is the first of many many things she will rediscover how to channel before her story arc is done.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Aafter posted:

I'll start up with this. Not sure if I can catch up as I'm a slow reader but, hey, who knows.

Dont be afraid to post your thoughts/questions on book 1 as you read it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Holy crap, Elayne walked across the room and just bitch-slaped Egwene across the face. :roflolmao:

drat I knew the supergirls got catty, but I'd forgotten it was this bad back in these early books.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Yeah that could've been the beta version of Balefire. Normally when somebody uses Balefire, Jordan makes it a point to mention how the POV character sees an afterimage in their eyes like when you stare a bright light and then shut your eyelids. Back in book 1, he probably had the idea for some kind of badass laser beam of death, but hadn't fully worked it out in his mind how it would operate.

Did Jordan ever mention how Moiraine learned the forbidden weave?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

veekie posted:

I figure the whole fever business is just the full body orgasm thing spread out over hours, and the block is itself a coping mechanism for that. It buffers you from consciously feeling the kick, by keeping all the activity in your subconscious. Considering the nutty antics Rand was up to, it seems like it'd be close to what a staggered powergasm would be like.

They just call it a fever because it would be pretty similar to one in the absence of any attributable stimulus.

Oh god, clearly somebody needs to ask Harriet this at the upcoming con.

"Is the fever that a brand new channeler expreiences just a full body orgasm spread out over the course of 4-5 hours?"

:allears:

Please somebody do this and have a camera rolling when you do.

• Locked thread