Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Since I re-read the entire series just a bit before this idea came up, could you maybe sum up what happens? I don't think I can read another 7000 pages that soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

cumsitter posted:

Burn me, the change in writing is really noticeable when you get to Sanderson. It's not a bad thing, but Light, it's there. I'm doing my best not to sick up about it.

If you're talking about Mat swearing his head off, Jordan wrote all that. He's supposed to be freaking the gently caress out about getting married and that's how he does it. It calms down later in the book.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

berenzen posted:

He's a good writer, but a bit different from Jordan. If we did read something by him, I would probably suggest Warbreaker. It's a standalone novel and happens to have annotations for each chapter as well. However, one thing to keep in mind with him is that all of his books are within the same universe, and while each series stands on its own, there's a lot of behind the scenes stuff that's going on that can be inferred.

Different planets, though. That's important. Warbreaker is okay as a book, but it is very obviously one of his earliest attempts at a novel. Parts of it are way too fast, parts are way too slow, and I personally found one of the characters completely boring, and did not enjoy the chapters focused on that character.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Yarrbossa posted:

Just got the 10th book in the mail. Since I'm such a slow read, I should have slogged through it by the time you guys finish another couple books.

I'm putting off Malazan Book of the Fallen just so I can be ready for the last book to come out next year. This had better be worth it!

I'm sorry for your current situation, but remember: It gets better.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

When I read it, my first thought was "You all meet in a Ta'veren...."

Are there girls there?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Since all this Whitecloak stuff doesn't happen until much later, I'm going to put this in spoilers.

If Bornhald had lived and had further POVs, it would have lessened the redemption of them later. You would have had a clearly good person leading a large contingent of men, doing what is ACTUALLY right, rather than "gently caress everyone who isn't us" as the rest of them do. It would have prevented a large amount of Perrin's growth into a leader, since he wouldn't have had to rescue the villagers, and would have made the entire Emond's Field battles weaker as a result, because Whitecloaks wouldn't have been there looking for him, most likely.

Bornhald dying at Falme was a catalyst for a large amount of the Whitecloak story, from Niall getting murdered, to Gawyn pulling them back from the brink.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

werdnam posted:

I think it's pretty strongly implied it's suicide. Rand sees Muradin (sp?) in the glass columns, and Muradin has clawed out his own eyes and eaten them. I guess that might not kill you (it didn't kill Oedipus), so you may be right.

The bodies disappear. Couladin's brother's body is gone when Rand emerges, and no one else was in there to remove it.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Campbell posted:

Just finished book 6 and needed to resort to the audiobooks because, holy balls, the slog has definitely begun (ending, of course, delivers)! The 7th is the last book that I've read before, so getting through it and into new territory is both exciting and kinda scary because I understand 8 and 9 are going to put me to the test :ohdear:

I can do it though, if I can read the entire Malazan series, I can do anything!

More on Mat (Book 6):

His conversation with Thom and Juilin about Birgitte was just fantastic, highlighting not only how oblivious and full of himself he is but also just as an example of how much these people have gone through on their own. (paraphrased) "Yes Mat, I'm sure she can shoot that bow," Thom says, as Juilin chokes on whatever bar food he was snacking on. Awesome.

7 through 10 are a shitload easier when you know there's another book coming after it immediately. It was the wait after 10 that made me hate it so much. It was much better on my re-read.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Ramadu posted:

Just look at 7-9 as 3 parts of a single book. It really makes those books make sense now. I know when I got them when they were just released it was awful. I read really fast so the books just seemed over too fast. But when you have the next parts to go on too, they're actually pretty good.

7 through 9 as one book, with 10 as part 9 part 2, since half of it is in the same time period as 9. 10 has the biggest overlap of stuff happening with another book in the series. 13 has the honors of biggest "why the hell is this character so far behind others in the timeline" though.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

I see it as one of the themes. Everyone in the Wheel of Time is stronger when it's a man and a woman working together. They're two halves of the same coin. The way society has been dominated by women for the last 3000 years has thrown everything out of whack, and I think part of Rand saving the world will be making it balanced again. Then, of course, it will swing wildly the other way, then back to balance, and so on, because that's how cyclical time works.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

It's also worth pointing out that the only nations where the ruler MUST be female, as opposed to just happening to be female during the events of the series are Andor and Far Madding.

Those are the only two nations where the gender of the leader is predefined, however, which again pushes the balance back towards women. Any other nation, the leader might be a man, but those two it never will.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

There's also the fact that the entire continent was united under Artur Hawkwing, and prior to the Breaking they had mass communication on levels similar to or exceeding our own. Language barriers are breaking down right now, I can only imagine how they'd be in some sort of pinko commie utopia.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

veekie posted:

Tempted to go through the series and count just how much spanking there was, or who did/got the most spankings.

I vaguely recall Sanderson also mentioned he was uncomfortable with the specific instructions on writing a spanking scene.

Egwene got the most spankings, both in total and described.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Recursive Expanse posted:

...is extremely proficient in gorilla tactics.

Now all I can picture is a tactic of running at someone while shouting and pounding your chest, then throwing poo poo at them, which he'd probably use if he had them.

It's "guerilla".

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

werdnam posted:

So I just finished Book 6 and I have a couple of questions: I understand how Taim figured out Rand had been captured, but how did he know to gate exactly to Dumai's Wells? Also, Min's vision implied that Perrin had to help Rand (twice) or he would die, and is seems to be implied this was one of those cases, but as far as I can tell, the Asha'man could have saved Rand all by themselves. I don't see what contribution Perrin and his army really made.

Book *woops this isn't 6 but much later* spoilers:
Taim is a darkfriend and Rand was kidnapped by darkfriends. One of his contacts probably told him, or even a Forsaken.

As for Perrin, the wolves threw the Aiel quite a bit off balance. Without that, the Asha'man forces may have had a lot more trouble, even with their head exploding and earthquaking.

Kruller fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 12, 2012

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

veekie posted:

Dreamtime/Realtime gap. As shes talking to channelers, they might look more or less the same even in a few years, we know that T'A'R time flows at different rates, but never backwards, so Gaidal is at best 2-3 years old.

Book 13 spoilers be here:
T'A'R is literally a magical made-up dream world where dead heroes chill with wolves. He could have made it work, and it would have been satisfying. As it is, Olver serves almost no purpose, other than to show that Mat broke the -Finn's power somewhat when he stole Moiraine back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

You guys are skirting the line awfully close on spoilers. Most of this chat could be moved over to the ToM thread to spare new readers accidental spoilers, since the re-read is still in book 6. I've gotten close myself, which is why I stopped posting in here. The surprises are better if you don't see them coming.

• Locked thread