Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

One posted:

I felt Elyas was a pretty decent example for how to accept what you are and use the power for what it is. What bothered me the most was Perin rejecting the wolves after sharing that brotherhood and feeling that connection with them. I'm also not saying he should have copied Elyas and lived by himself in the wilderness.

I guess what it boils down to is I don't like whiners or people who can't accept reality. I understand he's young and everything but I was young once too and I dealt with some serious poo poo as a teenager and I didn't mope about it or get all angsty. At bottom I have a character conflict with him. I'm not criticizing the writing when I say all this. I don't want every character to be like me or do what I want them to do. It's good that Perin has his own struggles that are unique to him. I was just saying how I felt about him. I guess it's to Jordans credit that I feel the characters are important enough for me to have an emotional conflict with them.

Perrin is dealing with some of the same issues as Rand in becoming (what seems to him) a monster out of the scary stories people tell around campfires.

On top of that, he's facing either a life on the run like Elyas (who had to get away from Aes Sedai and killed a few of his fellow Warders in the process) or a mindless (well, human mind) life like Noam. Neither are exactly appealing.

In trying to grudgingly call upon his powers, he seems to always get his wolf friends killed. He feels the same way about leading men.

In the 4th book you find that he out of all the main characters suffers the most permanent personal loss.

You should be paying attention to what he does get accomplished even while he's mentally whining about his lot. Dude has a lot of natural leadership abilities and an instant ... sense ... of command that the other boys really take a lot of time easing into.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Prison Warden posted:

Favourite foreshadowing line (paraphrased): Rand "I'll never channel again, I'd rather cut off my own hand than use the one power."

The best version of that is later on "I'll cut off my own hand before I hurt you (Min)"

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Ramadu posted:

I have no idea how you can deduce it honestly. I read it in the general discussion and was shocked. There doesn't seem to be any clues at all about it and I've read the series like 3 times in 15 years or something dumb. Maybe I'm an idiot though.

The clues are all there, read the "Sherlock Holmes" treatment of it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Apples First is such a goddamn good chapter for that callback to the very first set of prophecies in TEoTW.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Especially since it sets off so many changes in the Two Rivers.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Ramadu posted:

Yeah it's revealed but I don't think that there are very good clues, I always thought that it was Lanfear because it seemed the most reasonable I guess. All you get in the book is the "It's You!" without any context at all.

No, really, all the clues are there. Read the deduction.

It could NOT have been Lanfear, because she was already tossed through the 'finn gate.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

ZypherIM posted:

I'll support not being able to figure out who-done-it, because when you read the deductions, a lot of it runs on information outside the books, in the form of interviews/statements from RJ. With literally just the information in the books, you can make a couple guesses but until ToM there isn't much of a chance you can definitely say who.

Actually you can say with good confidence who it was based on information only from the first 5 books.

And the list of potential suspects with even the slightest possibility of doing the deed becomes exactly 1 after the next book.

When we say Sherlock Holmes deduction, we meant this one http://m.fanfiction.net/s/4975913/1/ which was written from what I can tell around 2000, posted to that site in 2009, based only on information from books 1-6 and not on anything external to the books.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 6, 2012

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

ZypherIM posted:

but makes some assumptions and uses that to get down to 1

Nothing involving any leaps of faith other than saying, hey, RJ didn't write anybody else's POVs in such a way, so he probably didn't write these POVs in such a way either.

And there are a few annoyances in the WOTFAQ writeup in that it refuses to do (itself being a reflection of the altsfwrj newsgroup's wishful thinking of the time) or skips over in the end summation.

1) Refuses to eliminate candidates who were dead at the time
2) Also does not consider for Opportunity (whereas the SH writeup does) that there IS a group of Forsaken who have some amount of license to be in the Caemlyn palace

Furthermore, as a final confirmation, reminder that in book 6, after the breakup of the Caemlyn Forsaken Posse, Graendal forms an alliance with Sammael, and in book 7 she rummages through his poo poo in Illian after he bites it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
No, that's the Aes Sedai shawl test. The Accepted test is somehow fully about yourself. There's no way anybody could have come up with Egwene's test.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
The other thing about the Accepted test that's not exactly like the test for the shawl is that these "visions" are like alternate versions of herself in mirror worlds, like a more controlled version of the visions Rand/Mat/Perrin/Ingtar/etc. had when they went through the portal stones incorrectly.

So Aginor in a maze makes a lot less sense than her other two visions, and even less so than the ones Egwene got. The one thing that would make sense is if these visions not only tapped into mirror worlds but also tapped explicitly into Tel'Aran'Rhiod for its ruleset, as alluded to with the test for the shawl.

As an aside, any time the Aes Sedai put her in a position to have/lose Lan in mirror worlds or in her reality is pretty strong writing.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 15, 2012

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I think The Final Empire is standalone enough that it probably wouldn't matter too much to pick the series back up as an "after school special" after AMoL is done with. It's also really loving good.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Cartoon Man posted:

If you really want to know,
I'm pretty sure he becomes one either in book 6 or 7. However the real drama with his story arc goes down in book 13, Towers of Midnight. I can spoil what happens at that point if you really want me too.

He's actually already an officer at that point. He definitely joins the whitecloaks at around the same time the tower coup goes down--Gawyn I believe references the fact that he'd been spending time with the whitecloaks already while they were out of their mind with worry over the girls.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Yarrbossa posted:

Crossroad of Twilight Spoilers:
I just finished the prologue, and forgot something vital I think. Dobraine was attacked and nearly killed, with a note in the intruders pocket supposably from him saying that the men were to be allowed to collect something from his apartment without issue. I distinctly remember Rand giving Dobraine something to hold onto, but can't remember exactly what it was. Was it the fat man angreal, or maybe a seal to the dark ones prison? I can't even remember if those were possibilities..it all happened so long ago.

Can someone fill me in on what I'm forgetting?

The most popular assumption is that Dobraine and Bashere had the Seals, though this is not supported by any actual evidence within the text. Out of 7, there are now 4 broken, 3 intact. Rand has the 3 intact Seals, though where he's put them is not known.

The thing about the specific events here is that Dobraine and Deira were nearly killed in CoT's prologue, which could also indicate that Darkfriends were under orders to try to locate the Choedan Kal access keys prior to Rand's cleansing of saidin.

Ultimately, I don't think we'll find out what these events really were. Davram Bashere and Dobraine Taborwin seem to be faithful/loyal followers of Rand, but Rand is simply not that trusting to place the Seals or the keys under the care of his followers. After all, prior to the cleansing of saidin he kept the Choedan Kal keys under wards himself.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Vaniljcola posted:

Fires of heaven: I think Rand gave the one he got from Taim to Bashere. Chapter 1 if i remember correctly

Just re-read for that section. Lord of Chaos, Ch.2, actually.

That chapter actually does strongly imply that Bashere HAS been keeping one of the seals for Rand all this time. It is also very suggestive, since Taim is the other major name in the room, and he is most certainly a Darkfriend by the time CoT swings around, if not by this time already.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Cartoon Man posted:

Also is Faolain ever confirmed to be Black Ajah? I can't remember if it was just a red herring or not. Probably better spoiler the answer if anybody knows.

Apparently a red herring. She's a stickler for authority and propriety and didn't like how the supergirls were treated, first when they were special, and then when Egwene was raised as a puppet she didn't like that either. So she swore fealty to Egwene and was one of her chief helpers in taking the Amyrlin Seat for realsies.

Although she's apparently missed the purge because she's camped outside the Black Tower, so she hasn't herself been tested on an Oath Rod yet. But I don't think she is BA.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Loony theory: each myrdraal is kind of like a true power ter'angreal with universal one power access.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Prison Warden posted:

Aviendha discovering how to travel through sheer tsundere-ness.

That and the Aiel channellers who apparently figured out through sheer force of will how to un-weave poo poo.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Logain (endgame) I think it's fairly unlikely that Rand won't be remembered as the Dragon Reborn for the next few thousand years (like nobody's forgotten about Lews Therin Kinslayer the Dragon). What Logain's "glory" more likely refers to is that he will take up some kind of mantle or leadership role after Rand's death, first with regards to some sort of action (possibly wrt the Black Tower), then most likely leading the Black Tower after all's said and done.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Yeah, but the mangled retellings of the Cold War are referring to something that's 2 Ages distant at that point.

The more important thing here is that Min's viewings are contemporaneous.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Neurosis posted:

Are they? You're probably right, anyway.

Yep, her farthest out viewing of any person is of their death.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
You laugh, but that's pretty much what the Acceptatron is, it just "borrows" from the T'A'R and mirror worlds to make itself function.

Rand tells Egwene, "Oh that thing? We used to jerk off in there."

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

werdnam posted:

The Great Hunt: In contrast to EotW, I really liked this one. I liked getting more into each individual's character arc, and Rand's motivations were a little less annoying than in other books ("I need to run away so I don't kill my friends, oh now I need to help my friends" vs "Quit telling me what to do, Mom Moiraine"). I also think the Seanchan invasion is one of the most interesting story elements in the whole series; I can't really remember what ultimately happened with that, and I hope to see more happen there. The Portal Stones were really interesting, and charging into battle with Mat blowing the Horn of Valere and Perrin carrying the banner of the Dragon is just an awesome moment. Still some clunkiness in the narrative: the whole time shift that happened after Rand tried to travel them quickly to Toman Head felt a lot like Jordan saying, "Hmm, I need to advance time several months so that the climax makes sense, but I need to do so without Mat dying from being separated from the dagger ... oh, I'll just use a teleporter malfunction Portal Stone incident." Also, I couldn't understand what effect the 1000 Whitecloaks had. It seemed like the battle would have turned out exactly the same without them (they all got blown up in the first instants, right?), so why did we even have them there? Seemed a waste of an interesting character.

Not sure how much farther you got, but the Seanchan make a return in a big way and they'll probably figure significantly into the resolution.

The Whitecloak arc has obvious consequences that you've already seen, with Dain Bornhald, but it shows up again and again, particularly in book ... 7? Perrin's issues with them are not concluded until very late.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Neurosis posted:

Alright, that makes sense. Still don't think Moirane's advice was in any way intelligent, though.

You're reviewing this with perfect hindsight and reader's omniscience.

But look at it from her perspective, with imperfect knowledge--Rand already killed 3 Forsaken, Moiraine took care of a 4th, he's got Callandor, who's to say they couldn't have done with Illian?

Next few books' worth of spoilers: It doesn't matter what kind of warmonger he looks like, because he conquered Tear, and he's about to bring the Aiel back across the Dragonwall, and he's about to sweep Cairhien AND Andor, plus whatever else. He's going to be a warmonger no matter what, which is the point, partially, of Lord of Chaos and on.

For what it's worth, Rand does handle this in a two-pronged move--he sends Tairen grain to both Illian and Cairhien, IIRC, which helps with his popularity in Cairhien at least, particularly after he cleans out the White Lions and the Shaido.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Mar 17, 2012

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Neurosis posted:

It also takes no special knowledge to know that the first move of setting up de facto rulership of Tear being to attack its traditional enemy will not endear you to the rest of the world.

Hindsight says he does that anyway.

We're constantly told that the prophecies involve him doing a lot of conquering and a lot of destroying and a lot of breaking of bonds etc. That's not happening by just diplomacy, particularly as they already know there's Forsaken leading certain nations.

On the ground, with imperfect knowledge of prophecies, future chapters, the Lanfear/'finngate mess, the impending White Tower thing, etc., Moiraine picking out a second target country to conquer to topple a Forsaken is probably not all that bad a move.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Neurosis posted:

Rand isn't just trying to conquer Illian. He still has to worry about how the rest of the world perceives him.

The Dragon Reborn is prophecied to save the world and destroy it, and that's the best he's going to be perceived as and this is also after 3 millennia of False Dragons coloring perceptions.

quote:

Also being told of those prophecies should not be interpreted as 'well gently caress he's the Dragon Reborn he can just ignore conventional politics'. If that were so Moirane should have approved of him running off to Tear to take Callandor.

He doesn't ignore politics. Waging war is a part of politics.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

ZypherIM posted:

Doing what Moiraine wants does a couple things. One, it assaults one of the forsaken they know is loose, freeing that land from his influence. Two, it cements Tear behind him. Remember what they have in the White Tower, and once Rand takes out Sammael, produces the horn, Illian would follow him (their original plan in TGH). This would give him enough military muscle to prevent other nations from being able to quickly band together to take down another 'false dragon'. Combined with other Aes Sedai working the diplomatic angle, and the plan overall isn't that bad. A major threat is removed, and Rand would have a strong base of support in each country.

Remember that a lot of the world is going to think he is a false dragon, or not believe that he is needed to save the world. It is better to ensure that no one is easily able to attack him than it is to worry that the world is going to be afraid of him warmongering. This is the same reason they didn't join any bands of dragonsworn, or try to group them all up. To prevent an untimely death Rand needs to have a certain amount of muscle. Rand ends up doing pretty much the same thing, just with different pieces.

Another reason they don't join any band of dragonsworn is because Jaichim Carridin secretly runs most of them with the instructions to kill Rand.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Neurosis posted:

If they were so willing to proffer the Horn a lot of issues would be solved. They might say the Dragon was working illusion, but it would seem petulant next to Artur Hawkwing telling you that that big redhead was Lews Therin.

Edit: Or even just calling them so Rand could talk strategy with the greatest generals of all time.

“The Grave is no bar to my call. Let he who sounds me think not of glory, but of salvation.”
—Inscriptions on the Horn of Valere

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Getting tied down in one spot so a bunch of Forsaken could gang up and jump you before you've learned Travelling (or anything at all about Channelling, really) is a worse idea.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

veekie posted:

The big clincher is that while they knew the Forsaken would be taking up positions of power, they had the arrogance to assume the Tower itself would be proof against such. Don't forget one of the Sitters advising Elaida was a Forsaken too in hindsight, I'd wager the entire 'depose Siuan' Hall was either Black of dupes of the Black.

What Siuan overlooked was the Black uprising(when she became too inconvenient), Falme(impossible to know barring hindsight reading of prophecies) and the Forsaken either covertly ruling or in control of pretty much all non-borderland, non-Aiel leadership at the time. Just take a map and color in what lands the Shadow has control of.

Though I wonder if theres any significance to the lands the Forsaken went for first. Tear is obvious, with Callandor, but Illian and Andor don't seem so obvious. Amador was subverted at a very high level, and other Forsaken are moving in secret in all the troubled lands.

Mesaana didn't elect to become an actual Sitter. Amyrlin, Sitter, or Ajah Heads all have too much actual responsibility to actually feign. Semirhage was pretty much just that ballsy to even get away with what she was doing.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Mat's exorcism seemed to need a huge amount of brute power (a full circle PLUS Vora's sa'angreal?) more than Healing skill/finesse, which is what I think Yellows are really about.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Cartoon Man posted:

I would have thought that the Yellow Ajah would have set up some kind of hospital system in each of the major cities to help everybody, but I guess they'd get chased out with torches and pitchforks.

Yeah, they just let Wilders/Wise Women/The Kin do that kind of thing.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 22, 2012

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Hobbes24 posted:

Book 4 Spoiler: I had forgotten that Perrin gives Faile a taste of her own medicine. That felt so good after that spoiled little twit keeps berating him, not that he doesn't have his own reasons. Was it a spanking? I thought it was the first few times I read it but I can't remember now. Also, the death of Perrin's family is perfectly written. As someone who went through something similar, it is really easy to relate now. Excellent work on Jordan's part and one of sequences I most appreciated on the reread.

Definitely a spanking. I think she threatens to do the same thing to him later on in the book and it was obvious?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Sorry, but Nynaeve's arc that goes from 4 through 5 is one of the finest things ever put to paper.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Nynaeve works through a lot of her issues wrt. Birgitte, being a blustery coward, etc., Moghedien's been loving with the girls for a while for personal amusement, she turns the tables on Moghedien at the end of TFoH and uses her to come to Rand's rescue against Rahvin.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Speaking of Aviendha in TSR ... there are somehow people in these threads who think she actually hates Rand.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

The Lord Bude posted:

the kindle nor the google books versions of the ebooks use them.

The Kindle books actually do use them, but it seems like the old art gets cached depending on when you downloaded the ebook.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm using the kindle app on an android phone, and they were downloaded over the course of the past year...how would I go about remedying this?

Dissociate your phone with your amazon account, then go in to your sdcard or whatever and remove the cached book files, and re-associate, that should do it. My phone right now shows the current e-book covers.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

werdnam posted:

End of Book 4 chat: Throughout TSR, Rand keeps talking to himself about how he can't let Moiraine or anyone else catch on to his crazy plan, how no one will be able to guess what he's going to do, etc. Was he just referring to making it rain at the big council? He can't possibly be referring to Travelling to Rhuidean to battle Asmodean, since he didn't know that was going to happen. Or was he referring to the plan he puts into action in book 5, taking the Aiel beyond the Dragonwall to conquer the world?

No.

Read the beginning of book 4 again--Lanfear explicitly offers him the end-of-book scenario in that meeting, the opportunity to study with one of the weaker male Forsaken.

Rand was completely expecting the Forsaken showdown at the end of book 4.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Ponsonby Britt posted:

But if the world was really dominated by women for so long, then wouldn't the sexism be expressed differently than it is in our world? In our world, women and pretty clothes are linked, because for centuries a pretty woman was considered an ornament for a successful man. If women are the ones out there being successful at politics and trade, then wouldn't men be the pretty ornaments? And wouldn't men all be obsessed with their clothes, because that's what makes them pretty, whereas women mostly wouldn't care, because they don't HAVE to?

In Ebou Dar, Arad Doman, and I think Far Madding men are expressly ornaments (excepting Ebou Dar's shipowner guilds, iirc.) so yes, it does happen that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Jedit posted:

I'm fairly sure Ghealdan had a king at the start of the story as well, but Ghealdan changes monarchs like most people change their underwear.

Well, only since Masema, really. I think they went like, King->Queen->Queen or something like that.

edit: that might be a bit spoilery

• Locked thread