Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

bootleg robot posted:

Cool, so the addition of the Paranormal forum wasn't assigned a subforum in the app which caused a database error.

Fix incoming. This will be the last update until I'm able to reliably test for things like this, among other things.

So is that connected to the issue I was having? I tried reloading after the forums list downloaded but still had the same issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

varjoankka
Jun 15, 2011
With the latest version I am able to see the forums list. But after accessing the forum I cant see any topics at all, it just keeps loading all the time..

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

^^ Yep.

varjoankka posted:

With the latest version I am able to see the forums list. But after accessing the forum I cant see any topics at all, it just keeps loading all the time..

This is due to an internal error. The fix will be available for download this week.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Possible bug:

After using the Awful app for a while then switching to IE in portrait view, the phone's status bar (shows connectivity, power remaining, clock) is forced to appear. In landscape, the bar hides.

This never happened to me ever before until I started playing with the Awful! App. I am not saying this bug is related, but I have heavy suspicions that it s related to the Awful forum reader.

Other thoughts are that it would be nice to get an in-app "return to menu/home screen" hidden option instead of using the phone's physical back button.

And I think the number one most important thing ever to improve is the speed, if possible.

Other than that, it's perfect!

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

The marketplace accepted release 13. It should be available to everyone tomorrow morning.

Dead Man Posting posted:

Possible bug:

After using the Awful app for a while then switching to IE in portrait view, the phone's status bar (shows connectivity, power remaining, clock) is forced to appear. In landscape, the bar hides.

This never happened to me ever before until I started playing with the Awful! App. I am not saying this bug is related, but I have heavy suspicions that it s related to the Awful forum reader.

Other thoughts are that it would be nice to get an in-app "return to menu/home screen" hidden option instead of using the phone's physical back button.

And I think the number one most important thing ever to improve is the speed, if possible.

Other than that, it's perfect!

Systray wonkiness

Awful! does let you toggle system tray visibility in settings. It shouldn't have an impact on anything you do outside of it, though (No app should, due to how apps are sandboxed on WP7). I think the worst an app in the background can do is hog up memory, impacting your foreground app -- which the OS should manage. Dunno what else to say, but I hope that alliviates your suspicions.

Main Menu button

This was troublesome in the past due to the way App navigation works. Pressing the physical back button from the home screen should always exit the app, but if you have a "navigate to menu" button somewhere, then that expectation is broken. There's now a function in the API that will remove any navigation history after navigating to a new page. I'll work on that in the next release. :)

Load faster!

This is a tough one to solve. In order to style the page as it is now, I have to literally reconstruct the html I get from SA along with adding a custom css. Unfortunately, that takes a noticible amount of time on a phone (it's pretty instantaneous on a pc with a modern cpu).

I'll be playing with ways to get a Metro feel without having to rebuild the page.

Thanks for the input!

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Well, I finally got it to update, and this app just keeps getting better and better. While even the old style of navigation (post-by-post) was vastly superior to IE (at least for me), the new scrollable pages are the poo poo.
As usual, I'll keep you posted on any bugs I find.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

bootleg robot posted:

Load faster!

This is a tough one to solve. In order to style the page as it is now, I have to literally reconstruct the html I get from SA along with adding a custom css. Unfortunately, that takes a noticible amount of time on a phone (it's pretty instantaneous on a pc with a modern cpu).

I'll be playing with ways to get a Metro feel without having to rebuild the page.

Thanks for the input!

I think a huge improvement would just be to store previously viewed pages (especially thread listings) without having to reparse the page. Specifically, if there are a bunch of threads I'm going through on my bookmarked list, it gets frustrating to have to watch that spinning arrow just to go back to the page I was looking at 10 seconds earlier. Is it possible to keep a cached copy of thread listings after processing for faster rendering? Or even store the page data in a data structure that can be quickly rendered?

I know I generally expect new content to be slow to render, since new data has to be downloaded.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

kapinga posted:

I think a huge improvement would just be to store previously viewed pages (especially thread listings) without having to reparse the page. Specifically, if there are a bunch of threads I'm going through on my bookmarked list, it gets frustrating to have to watch that spinning arrow just to go back to the page I was looking at 10 seconds earlier. Is it possible to keep a cached copy of thread listings after processing for faster rendering? Or even store the page data in a data structure that can be quickly rendered?

I know I generally expect new content to be slow to render, since new data has to be downloaded.

Currently, the app caches all visited pages until the app is fully closed (ie no longer accessible until you restart it). When you navigate to a cached page, you'll get a loading bar, but only for a split second or so. However, if you jump to the first unread post from a thread listing (via a simple tap), the app will always try to load that page from the web, even if it has been cached previously. I think this is desired behavior for now.

I'll add a forum cache to do the same.

I'm working hard on making this persist to disk for good, hence the internal database. But the entity framework is a bit new to me, and getting the table associations right has been rough (see the issue with release 12).

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
Posting from new (now functional) app. Thanks Bootleg!

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Updated the OP with links. Will update screenshots later; they're a bit outdated now!

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

bootleg robot posted:

The marketplace accepted release 13. It should be available to everyone tomorrow morning.

Systray wonkiness

Awful! does let you toggle system tray visibility in settings. It shouldn't have an impact on anything you do outside of it, though (No app should, due to how apps are sandboxed on WP7). I think the worst an app in the background can do is hog up memory, impacting your foreground app -- which the OS should manage. Dunno what else to say, but I hope that alliviates your suspicions.

Main Menu button

This was troublesome in the past due to the way App navigation works. Pressing the physical back button from the home screen should always exit the app, but if you have a "navigate to menu" button somewhere, then that expectation is broken. There's now a function in the API that will remove any navigation history after navigating to a new page. I'll work on that in the next release. :)

Load faster!

Thanks for the input!

I just wanted to say that 90% of my post was criticism/bugs/suggestions, but only 10% compliment. I just wanted to say that this is really a great app.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

I keep trying to download the latest version of the app from the (UK) market place but it keeps downloading version 1.12.257 and won't update it either. The store says it has version 1.13 any ideas?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Jump to post doesn't work for me - is this a known bug or do I have to change a setting? It used to work a few versions ago.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Jump to post doesn't work for me - is this a known bug or do I have to change a setting? It used to work a few versions ago.

Yeah -- disable smooth scrolling for now. There's an issue between jQuery and the smooth scrolling function that I haven't fixed yet.

NightHunter posted:

I keep trying to download the latest version of the app from the (UK) market place but it keeps downloading version 1.12.257 and won't update it either. The store says it has version 1.13 any ideas?

Hmm. Try removing the app from your phone before downloading it? Or, if you download 1.12, do you get an update button when you return back to the marketplace screen?

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
My Awful! app has me log in each time, even if I hit the home button and go back to it without locking the screen.

Stay Safe fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 21, 2012

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Dead Man Posting posted:

My Awful! app has be log in each time, even if I hit the home button and go back to it without locking the screen.

If you hit the home button, then hit the app icon, you're effectively restarting it. If you want to return Awful! to the foreground, hit the physical back button, or long press the back button to bring up a list of active apps and select Awful!

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

SPACE!

bootleg robot posted:

Hmm. Try removing the app from your phone before downloading it? Or, if you download 1.12, do you get an update button when you return back to the marketplace screen?

I've done that a couple of times, each time it downloads the old version. I get an update button on the page for the app but whenever I try and use it it opens the download page and says no downloads in progress.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

NightHunter posted:

I've done that a couple of times, each time it downloads the old version. I get an update button on the page for the app but whenever I try and use it it opens the download page and says no downloads in progress.

Marketplace was jacked up for a while, maybe fixed now?

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

SPACE!

Maneki Neko posted:

Marketplace was jacked up for a while, maybe fixed now?

Nope still can't get the latest version.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

I have plat now, so could some of you guys send me some sample PMs? If all goes well, I'll add that feature in the next release.

Attaching pictures from your picture library to post drafts will be in, too.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

SPACE!

Finally updated. App is awesome bootleg.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

Completely forgot about this app until yesterday so I installed it and I love. Awesome app. Fast too so I have no reason to use the site instead. Other than forgetting.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Private messaging 75% done. I'll toss up pics of what the interface looks like, and you guys can yay or nay it. There will also be a beta to catch any bugs I might have missed.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I still get taken to the top of the last page I read (and not to the latest post) :(. The app is much better (and faster!) now though. The viewing system you have for posts is quite awesome.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Dodoman posted:

I still get taken to the top of the last page I read (and not to the latest post) :(. The app is much better (and faster!) now though. The viewing system you have for posts is quite awesome.
Did you update your control panel settings to the values according to the troubleshooting post (second post from the OP)?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Dodoman posted:

I dad this problem too - disabling smooth scrolling in the settings fixed it.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

bootleg robot posted:

Did you update your control panel settings to the values according to the troubleshooting post (second post from the OP)?

Completely missed this part when I went through it before :downs:

quote:

Every time I click a thread with unread posts, it takes me to the top of the page instead of the first unread post! In the User Control Panel, under Thread Tracking, set the option "Show an icon next to each post indicating if it has been seen or not" to yes.

Sorry for the bogus report.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Feature request: Share via SMS, Email, Social Network, etc... and/or Open in IE.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

obeyasia posted:

Feature request: Share via SMS, Email, Social Network, etc... and/or Open in IE.

Sharing via social network might be more effort than I want to put forth, but SMS and email are doable. Same with opening a thread page in IE.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bootleg robot posted:

Sharing via social network might be more effort than I want to put forth, but SMS and email are doable. Same with opening a thread page in IE.

I don't really see myself sharing to a social network anyway. The other 2 I tried to use today. Thank you.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Are all YouTube embedded videos in html5 now? I see them showing up in threads instead of getting caught in the filter.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

bootleg robot posted:

Are all YouTube embedded videos in html5 now? I see them showing up in threads instead of getting caught in the filter.

Yah:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=403193277

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
The app is enjoyable so far but I still prefer to use my iPod version simply for the ease of being able to jump to my latest unread post in a bookmarked thread. The app just doesn't save your position anywhere, while the ios version does. Just something that bugs me.

Captainsalami fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 6, 2012

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Captainsalami posted:

The app is enjoyable so far but I still prefer to use my iPod version simply for the ease of being able to jump to my latest unread post in a bookmarked thread. The app just doesn't save your position anywhere, while the ios version does. Just something that bugs me.

That's the only way I use Awful though? I go to my bookmarked threads, click the one I want, and ta-da I'm at the first unread post. Maybe your forum settings are wrong?

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Ignore this

Captainsalami fucked around with this message at 08:12 on May 6, 2012

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Unsure how. I just downloaded the app and I'm having trouble with it. The non saved position Is all that I don't like or is annoying me. I just tried rebooting the app and I made sure my control panel settings are set like in the troubleshooting part of the op, but it still isn't showing me my unread posts

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
^^^^

Try this one, from this page:

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Dodoman posted:

I still get taken to the top of the last page I read (and not to the latest post) . The app is much better (and faster!) now though. The viewing system you have for posts is quite awesome.
I dad this problem too - disabling smooth scrolling in the settings fixed it.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
I don't even get taken to the top ofthe last page I read! It's like it's not saving a drat thing beyond what's in my bookmarks. And I always had that disabled. Some help would. Be great cause I'd like to start phasing out my iPod for everyday use.

direspoon
Jul 8, 2006

Is that a spoon around your neck, or are you just happy to see me?

These are my settings, try these:

They work fine for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Techokami
Nov 13, 2007

For use only on NTSC Genesis Systems.
Small bug: ampersands in thread titles show up as & amp ; (without spaces), otherwise I am really liking this app! If you still need help with PM testing, I have plat myself.

Techokami fucked around with this message at 12:36 on May 7, 2012

• Locked thread