Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

For those unaware: Unifi 3.0 is in Beta now and includes the enhanced roaming features promised. Worth checking out if you are having problems with the current build or need better roaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Per their changelog:

quote:

New Features Introduced in V3
Multi-site management, read-only admin support
Instead of running multiple controllers, now you can use one controller to manage multiple sites.
Each site has its own configurations, maps, statistics, guest portals and is logically separated.
Moreover, you can delegate administrative rights (readonly/readwrite) to other people.
Seamless Roaming - Zero-Handoff
Running radios on the same channel with the same BSSID.
No controller is required for its operation.
WLAN Groups
Now you can create multiple WLAN groups and assign them to an AP's radio.
Minimum RSSI, Load Balancing becomes options per WLAN group.

Other Features
Rogue AP detection
more descriptive email alerts
basic SNMP support
Minimum RSSI
enhanced load balancing per radio
voucher customization
ability to reset current statistic
allow the config to stay during uninstall for Windows
controller performance enhancement

I'm not running it personally, so ymmv and all. Go here to get access.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Spudalicious posted:

Anyone have any experience with something like this? https://www.radiolabs.com/products/wireless/900-mhz-wireless-bridge-link.php

It's a Non Line of Sight wireless network bridge that claims 150Mbps and 18 mile range. I was raised to think that if it sounds too good to be true it probably is and I'm having trouble locating any reviews on that particular unit.

I'm looking to bridge from a remote site on a hill to a lodge about 1.5 mi away and I'd like to have an alternative to present compared to trenching fiber.

Mainly looking for reliability and ability to perform in snowy conditions (not like 10ft of snow, but if theres snow around it I'd like to be sure that it will continue to function. I've used similar units but on the 2.4Gghz spectrum and for shorter hops of less than 500ft to great effect, if this performs similarly then I think we we will go with it.

That unit is just a rebadged and overpriced UBNT Nanobridge M9. Going to lower frequencies will definitely let you maintain a link in poorer conditions. If 2.4Ghz gear won't work, this at least has a better chance of working.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

I have maybe a dozen aircams running on a blueiris server. (bullets and domes) Very stable, haven't had one drop a signal or lock up yet. Quality is great for the money. (It's not axis, but it also isn't axis money.) Only real complaint is the bullet's mount is a little flimsy, not a problem for the production floor cams, but the exterior cams sway a bit under strong winds. Haven't touched airvision itself as I have a bunch of stuff with Verint and Iqeye as well. Though I hear airvision 2 is a huge improvement and I'm wanting to try their appliance on a smaller residential deployment. It is 24v poe, as most of their gear is. Not a problem, just use a 24v poe switch or multiport injector instead of the supplied ones to avoid the mess. They also sell 48v-24v poe adapters if you want to use an existing poe switch.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

adorai posted:

eh I discovered amazon is the cheapest place to get ubiquity gear. Cheaper than every official reseller.

Yeah, this is pretty much always the case. Just ordered a few touchswitches, a bunch of unifi aps and some aircams and Amazon was the cheapest by a few hundred.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Are you guys running Ubiquiti UniFi stuff also using the software controller? I'm having a hell of a time getting it to run as a service and I'm pretty sure it's Java's fault. 2008 R2 VM, tried following the instructions and video, installed both 32- and 64-bit Java. Service appears to start but can't reach the management website.

Yeah, though I'm using an appliance. Don't know if that's an option for you.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

If you're stuff is still just serial, look at Digi's RF modems. I've used them for ptp links between weighing indicators and terminals with great success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Why wouldn't they come out with a solar offering tailored to running their own gear instead of loving residential solar? Their core products are great, but ubnt consistently turns out half baked products in other areas. Mfi and unifi-video are both great concepts with terrible execution and their phone offerings just make me ask "Why?"

• Locked thread