Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frayed time
Oct 20, 2008
I have need for a wireless network. On the first half of the distribution is an AP providing access to two clients. One of these clients is hooked into a switch which is in turn hooked to another AP to talk to the second half of the network.

The second part has four clients and needs an additional AP to cover some tricky spots.

I put in three Hawking Wireless HWOBN1 units and six of Hawking's HWABN1 units to handle this originally. All of this equipment is 2.4ghz w/ omni-directional antennas and the latency/connection quality is killing me. I don't have responsive PTZ controls on my cameras and the connections are always dropping out. I don't know what I'm doing or they suck. Probably both. :doh:

Can someone recommend me some wireless gear to put in? This is all going to be placed outdoors. Longest stretch between any client and AP is about 300ft.

Would you not consider MikroTik enterprise level equipment? I was looking into MikroTik and thinking about picking up a few SXT units and some OmniTik APs to pull it all together. Your thoughts?

If you were going to get wireless training/certifications from a particular vendor, who would it be?

Diagram:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frayed time
Oct 20, 2008

KillHour posted:

Honestly, though, why the hell are you using omni antennas for point to point bridges?

Someone asked me if this setup would work. I told them it might and if it did the quality would be terrible.

Now I'm trying to get them to put in MikroTik SXTs since the hawking devices didn't make their wildest dreams come true.

frayed time
Oct 20, 2008

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

$100 per camera is single-unit retail pricing. If you order 200 at a go, you'll surely get a better price. It's still an impossible budget because of needing to do 200 Ethernet runs and build a pretty big server to handle recording 200 cameras' video, but it's slightly less impossible.

There's no way. In December I bid a $200,000 job for 65 IP cameras in an industrial environment for a rice mill.

Two months later they come back and say they only have $70K to work with.

No wireless cameras, just IP cameras made by axis.

frayed time
Oct 20, 2008
What's being used for wireless mesh connected devices nowadays?

Looked into Ubiquiti Unifi APs but I'm really looking for something omnidirectional I can use as a client bridge for difficult to wire areas.

Think remote segments with IP cameras. One wireless hop at most.

• Locked thread