Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
probably drunk
Dec 25, 2009

by Lowtax

adorai posted:

I am totally impressed with Unifi from Ubiquity. It's super inexpensive for the feature set.

I'm reading over it and I can't believe what I'm seeing here - $69 for the AP and the software free? Can anyone else vouch for this? I'm really interested.

Also, I saw someone say that it doesn't support active POE, just passive. From my research that means it has a limited range in feet compared to active POE, right? For instance it may not be stable with the supplied poe adapter to be at ground level, and the AP to be on the 4th floor of an apartment complex?

This price with the features seems in its own class....

probably drunk fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

probably drunk
Dec 25, 2009

by Lowtax
Is this good? Says it will convert to 802.3af

http://www.ubnt.com/8023af

I figure those, plus the unifi, could be cool...

probably drunk
Dec 25, 2009

by Lowtax
I spoke to Netgate and they verified that Unifi works with the POE adapters. They have them for $69 plus $19.50 per POE adapter. We ordered 5 sets, will update with trip report.

http://store.netgate.com/Search.aspx?k=unifi

probably drunk
Dec 25, 2009

by Lowtax
I just put 5 Unifi APs in a basic apartment environment with Power injectors. They were out of stock of the LR and the indoor POE injectors which turned out to be a blessing in disguise as the outdoor ones don't have problems and the indoor ones had a few on a previous revision.

Installation was great. It was like installing smoke detectors, like literally. Wallplate, twist. Injectors were easy and very snug, APs came up fast, very simple single SSID with WPA but range is quite acceptabe.

Single AP shoots across entire floor, system in a zig zag pattern up to 4th floor where there are no AP spots, then to 5th floor where it is centered.

Interesting sidenote: I set these all up at my office, backed up the config and assumed I could just reupload the config at the new location and it would work. Since it was on a different subnet I needed to reboot all the APs to have them speak to the software, but they worked perfectly fine as dumb access points while we were installing.

These were such a good experience putting together and installing that I am going to continue recommending them.

probably drunk
Dec 25, 2009

by Lowtax
The unifi install we did is doing great, no hiccups at all without a server managing, either.

• Locked thread