Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

sizerp posted:

Anybody do a large Aruba deployment in the recent past? Experiences?

I work somewhere with a very large Aruba deployment. 12 controllers, about 2800 APs, at peak times we have about 11-12k users on the network.

Since the day it was deployed we've had to deal with problems like RADIUS authentication failing, band steering causing client problems, bad controller firmware causing controllers to choke themselves to death and crash, and a continuous battle to get them to make AirWave better. The 802.1X situation was so bad that at one time anywhere between a third to a half of all users on the network were electing to use the unsecured guest network over the WPA2 Enterprise network, simply because authentication was so brittle and likely to fail repeatedly.

I think we've finally got it into a stable state recently, and upgrading the controllers to Aruba OS 6.1 has helped. I currently manage the AirWave system and I'm getting sent to boot camp for my ACMP next week so that I can be the emergency wireless guy in case nobody in the NOC is available. It's still not been much of a positive experience.

chutwig fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Aquila posted:

My company is about to cut a PO for an Aruba setup (650 + 3x 125 AP's) and now this thread pops up causing me some second thoughts. I'm really tempted to try out the Ubiqiti stuff, but just don't have time to take a chance. We've only got 20 people in this office, but it's in downtown LA where you can see 30+ other APs on a site survey. Yesterday I got to run out to a computer store and buy 10x usb-ethernet adapters plus patch cables and switches for people running Macbook Airs so they could work effectively.

To add some more info about Aruba, I've used that same setup (650 + 3x 125 AP's) at a previous job and it worked perfectly for 100+ people (very few neighboring aps though). Previously we had an absolutely horrible experience with Juniper wifi.

It'll probably be fine with a small setup like that. My installation is about 3000 APs covering multiple square miles and I think we're encountering various limitations that were not expected by Aruba when they designed the system.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

nulldev1ce posted:

tl;dr: I love Aruba.

I've had it up the loving wall with Aruba, on the other hand. I'm sure they work well for small to mid-size installations, but our current deployment is about 15 controllers with 3200 APs and 20,000 unique clients at peak, and the scaling is tragically poor. 802.1X is randomly unusable and can take several attempts to authenticate, the controllers sometimes eat DHCP packets, we had to deactivate IPv6 because it exposed a number of severe memory leaks in ArubaOS, AirWave is a piece of poo poo that simply cannot handle the level of wireless activity in our organization, we can't use band steering or mesh networking because it causes a significant percentage of our wireless client base to be completely unable to connect, etc. These are just a few of our complaints that I can recall off the top of my head. When we're in a situation where more than half of our clients are electing to use the unencrypted guest wireless network over the 802.1X employee network because of how unreliable and fractious 802.1X is, that's a bad situation.

Aruba has some good people in their company that I've worked with, but on the whole they seem disorganized and unable to overcome institutional inadequacies. The fact that the PDF report generation in the current beta release of AirWave is based on some code I ended up writing and submitting to them, after 2+ years of us and numerous other AirWave-using customers pleading for it, says to me that they're unwilling or unable to understand what their customers are looking for.

• Locked thread