Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
Seems Cisco just bought Meraki for $1.2 billion

http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/18/cisco-acquires-enterprise-wi-fi-startup-meraki-for-1-2-billion-in-cash/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I didn't think the AirRouter was being made any more?

The Unifi access points are awesome though, and a single unit works great for in-home wifi.

I've been running a single Picostation m2hp for the past year in my home (paired with a MikroTik RB450G.) The range is fantastic, it covers the entire house and halfway down the street! Though it's only a 1x1 device so I guess it could be faster.

I think I'll upgrade to the new Unifi AP AC once there's stock in Australia, I've also heard you can upgrade the Picostation's firmware to UniFi - Anyone got any experience with that?

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

caberham posted:

Hey guys, the new unifi AC router didn't score so well even with a retest

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32202-ubiquiti-uap-ac-access-point-retest

Seems like there is something wrong with the 2.4Ghz part... But the unifi software is still great.

I ordered one a couple months ago and it finally arrived last week. I've got to play with the settings some more but so far I'm not getting very good performance out of it.

Currently I'm using:
2g: channel 3, HT20, auto power
5g: channel 36, HT40, auto power

My rMBP connected to 5GHz 802.11n struggles to get more than 9MB/sec, my ancient time capsule can do 30MB/sec!
My new macbook air doesn't seem to connect using 802.11ac and reports 5GHz 802.11n (not sure if that's an OSX bug?) haven't done any speed tests on it yet though.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

caberham posted:

Oh no, that's not good news

yeah though there's a firmware update for the Macbook Air that's meant to improve things, just not had a chance to do any more testing!

I bought extra plugs and it ended up coming with australian plugs anyway :unsmith:

• Locked thread