Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

adorai posted:

I am totally impressed with Unifi from Ubiquity. It's super inexpensive for the feature set.

One warning - their current controller system is designed to work with a single site. If you want to control a second site you need to build a new box (or create a new VM) to host that controller instance. They have had this feature request made very very plain to them and hopefully this will get rectified soon. At the moment, that can be a dealbreaker if you want to roll this out over multiple sites but for lighting up a single office you shouldn't have any problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

stevewm posted:

It seems this is no longer an issue: http://forum.ubnt.com/showpost.php?p=205384&postcount=8

Cool, passing this on to my wireless guys.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Partycat posted:

I've opened up a few APs and they aren't loaded with cocaine so I'm not sure what the deal is.
:siren: CISCO WARRANTY VIOLATED! USER MUST BE REMANDED TO HAPPINESS REEDUCATION CAMP! :siren:

In my dreams, I like to think that Cisco gear comes with a gift card you can redeem for blowjobs. "Huh, another AP installed and configured. Oh sweet! A twofer!" That's why techs pay the high price over and over again.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Jadus posted:

I'd love to try an Ubiquiti AirFiber, but it doesn't look like they ship to Canada yet.

Look at all the n00bs with their wussy little megabit over the air links. Cya shitlords later, I'm moving to all the gigabits! http://www.ubnt.com/airfiber

This magical beam of blue packets full of internets will increase crop yields, maximize your latencies, fill all your packets with all the internets and also uses magical radio antenna design that took 100's of years of R&D to develop.

loving Edison was all like, "some day, this poo poo will blow your asses out of your socks!" and we're all like Hellz yeah here comes the PAIN my friends!

Fuckin' GPS right up in this bitch so your dipshit installer can show up drunk (as usual) and still not gently caress it up. In fact, our mounting process is so easy, it's as if the drat thing aligns itself! Warning: if the unit aligns itself then Total Autonomy mode may have activated. Do not approach a radio in this state - report to your nearest service center immediately.

=======================================================

Okay, I'm just jazzed up by the ridiculous marketing materials for this radio. Also because I overheard one of our admins talking about getting a pair of these to put in a humongous link for one of our clients. If we end up getting them, I'll let you know how it goes. It'll probably be like most of our Dragonwave links - unless power is off you don't know they're there because of how well they work.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

lOi posted:

Find a way to provide a rock steady wifi connection to 150-200 ipads in a 500sqm area that is really prone to interference. Its in a trade fair where there are other vendors also setting up their wireless networks.

This show happens like 4 times a year and i'm the lone moron that has to set it up by myself. Oh yeah, he wants it to be done as cheaply as possible. Is this even remotely possible?

Tell your boss that the Lord High Gods of Wireless tell you that this is an impossible set of requirements. Your work is done - no, this isn't possible.

If you can setup and control the environment a little more - ban vendor AP's for instance - then you could do this relatively easily with a bunch of Unifi AP's and a central controller. Without the authority to shut down all that extra noise you're going to have serious, insurmountable problems.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

IT Guy posted:

Some of our PTP links are 60 kilometers, something the AN50 and AN80i equipment can handle. Can the Ubiquity equipment handle these distances?
Hell no.

We've gotten nearly 20km out of a point-to-multipoint Ubiquiti link but I have no expectation that it would magically triple its effective distance when shooting point-to-point. They're good gear but not quite that magical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

IT Guy posted:

How high is your equipment mounted? The data sheets on the Rocket M say they can achieve 50+km. The Air link tool they provide show an excellent signal.
On top of mountains, buttes and other high places. Actual tower height varies from stubby little towers to 50' or higher ones. On the remote ends they are attached to houses so usually 20 to 30' up. I suppose with bigger dishes you may get enough collation of the signal to push it out that far but this still seems wildly optimistic for Ubiquiti gear.

Good luck!

• Locked thread