Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

stevewm posted:

In the next few weeks I will be setting up these APs for work. We have 8 sites and will probably several APs per site. Given the low cost I don't think it will be a problem getting these approved. :) I'll post back here how it works out.

If you don't mind, a review would be awesome. We are looking at doing something for work, as the "several consumer wireless routers running DD-WRT" is getting old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

ryangs posted:

Is it just me, or are SonicWall SonicPoints just loving terrible?

Everything SonicWall is terrible.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

stevewm posted:

Well I made a post on their forums and to my surprise Ubiquiti actually went out and bought the same model PDA on eBay to test with! That was about a week ago.. Today, they let me know that their next software release will include a firmware update that will make our devices work!

Holy poo poo. I am pushing to get these purchased as soon as I get the chance.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You guys are really making me want to find an excuse to install a couple of these.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, why are you syncing home folders over wireless? Is wired not an option for these PCs?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

How is the EdgeRouter Lite for SMB from the point of view of a non-Cisco non-network infrastructure guy? I poke around on Watchguards from time to time, but I really avoid anything Cisco.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

adorai posted:

I run about 30 of them at branch offices. They work well and are feature rich. The first batch has had a reasonably high rate of failure but consecutive batches are more reliable. I am using them on 20-100mbps metro Ethernet links + OSPF on GRE tunnels over IPsec tunnels for backup. As long as you are ok implementing what is effectively a feature rich Linksys router, it's a slam dunk at $100.

edit: for reference, I support about 300 network devices, including lots of cisco and procurve gear. My core router is a pair of virtual vyatta routers. I am a cheapass, and deploy UBNT gear when I can.

Cool, thanks for the feedback. I'll have to see if I can get my hands on stuff. I prefer procurve gear ove cisco, just because it is easier for someone like me to manage.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hilarious. Our main source is Ingram and we implement a ton of Meraki gear. I had brought up Ubiquiti a while back but got blown off. We just ordered 2 AC models to replace our MR12s and they are super impressive at like 1/6th the price of the equivalent Merakis. If you have anything to do with reselling them at Ingram you should send me a PM.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

We're not switching anytime soon but I'm sure it's worth it.

The Merakis are slick and I support a bunch of them, but they aren't worth the price.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just get Unifi APs and be done with it, unless you need the really fancy traffic shaping and firewall stuff at the WAP level.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Have you contacted their support? I haven't spent a ton of time with them, but I was very impressed with their responsiveness when I opened a ticket with them.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

Ubqt makes very good bridge gear, beyond that.....:gonk:

What's wrong with their WAPs? Also I have an EdgeRouter Lite and I'm happy with it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Antillie posted:

I would mount them on the ceiling parallel to the floor. It may be a pain in the rear end but if you stick them on the wall your perpendicular to the floor your reception is probably going to be poo poo outside of a rather small area.

Alternatively you could attach some small shelves to the wall and mount an AP on each one so the APs are still parallel to the floor. I had to do something like this when I deployed wifi in a large warehouse a while back because the only thing to mount anything on was the structural steel of the building.

Parallel to the floor? I thought the antenna on them went length-wise of the unit, meaning you would want to place them perpendicular. Is that not the case?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Interesting. I always assumed they had a two normal antennas in the unit. Guess I will need to do some adjusting. I have some ceiling mounted but purposefully stood then upright in the dropped ceiling. Thanks for the detailed answer. Silly they don't publish this info.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

See the weird thing is, it doesn't even broadcast the SSID if it can't connect to the internet.

That's fairly normal for Merakis, if I remember correctly. If it can't connect to their cloud server it won't provision.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Their AC WAP seems a bit less stable than that. At least the first revision.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Resetting / recovering the password for the Unifi Controller is slightly awkward but not at all difficult.

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204909294-UniFi-How-to-recover-lost-password-and-username

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just get Ubiquti stuff and do it yourself. You don't need contractors to manager your wireless these days.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Nitr0 posted:

fuckin laffo spot the guy who knows nothing about wireless

I'm certainly no expert, but that's my point. I have implemented several wireless environments that got up to a couple hundred devices using Unifi APs and have not had any major issues.

I will admit that I somehow missed the OP on the topic and was reading the responses. Was phone posting at the time so I'm sure that had something to do with it. Sorry for the completely useless reply.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Edit: I'm in the, I don't have time to work on this I just need it to work out of the box and I can pay a premium, camp.

With your edit, you will be very happy with Merakis. I have also done a lot with them and they are fantastic APs if you are okay with the cost. Like others have said, their support is great as well. We just ran into issues where clients were balking at the cost and Ubiquiti was a great fit underneath that, where we started to lead with Ubiquiti and bump up to Meraki if necessary.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

They had a v1 and a v2 of the AP-AC Pro. As someone already mentioned, they had some hardware issues with v1 and they very quickly came out with v2. You can see them named differently at the controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I doubt many here are running any of the following gear from Ubiquiti, but if you are, update your poo poo:
airMAX v5.6.2
airMAX AC v7.1.3
TOUGHSwitch v1.3.2
airGateway v1.1.5

http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/05/foul-mouthed-worm-takes-control-of-wireless-isps-around-the-globe/

• Locked thread