Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Has anyone with a Traeger/pellet grill used gasket tape on the lid? I've got a gap of maybe 1/8" in places along the top of the lid and there's always a couple of big smoke stains there after I've finished a cook.

My reasoning is that by sealing these gaps, the smoke will properly circulate before it's vented, plus I'm not letting heat escape therefore improving fuel efficiency. Does this logic make sense?

I'm expecting an AMNPS to arrive soon so I'll be able to add more smoke to my cooks. I'm also curious to see if I can find a good combo as far as pellets and sawdust goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
I'll order some of that high-heat gasket to plug those gaps then.

I'm hoping that my AMNPS arrives by next week. I'm also due to pick up an order of short ribs and brisket from the local butcher. This'll be my first "proper" brisket since the others I've cooked have been just enough to feed two people, though the ordered brisket isn't going to be that much bigger.

Kinda excited, but I'm also kinda dreading the extended cooking time.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
How does this look?

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

TheReverend posted:

I smoked a Chuck Roast this weekend.

I'm a smoker newbie, turned out great. I recommend to other newbies as well.

Beginner's brisket or something.

Thanks guys, I didn't expect so much positivity!

To let you in on a secret, they're faux burnt ends made from a few chuck steaks I had. One thing that surprised me was the cooking time for the three steaks was about the same as it was when I last cooked a (small) brisket. I was expecting everything to be done in 1-2 hours, but they only got to temp after nearly 7 hours in the smoker. Was really strange. I finished the burnt ends off after giving them a splash of worcestershire sauce and a good drizzle of homemade barbecue sauce.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
My smoker maze arrived today. I'm kind of excited to give it a go.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Whooping Crabs posted:

Make sure you have a propane torch to light it. You can get one at the hardware store for $15 or less, and a bottle of propane is only a couple of bucks

I've got one of those, so lighting it should be pretty easy.

I'm picking up an order of beef short ribs tomorrow. Any tricks or tips for cooking them? Are frog mats worth the expense?

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
I've found whenever I've smoked sausages that I don't get as big a smoke flavour as I'd like. I've picked up some chevups to see if the lack of casing gives a better result.

The butcher wasn't able to get my brisket in, so I have two packs of 3 beef ribs. I'll attempt cooking one of the packs this weekend if the weather is reasonable. I'll also trial my smoker maze with a mix of hickory pellets and mesquite sawdust to see what happens.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

That Works posted:

What settings, ie external temp / target internal temp, approx cooking time did you go for?

I haven't done a brisket in the new electric smoker and might give a chuck a try 1st tomorrow morning.

I know this is uber late, but I used this as a guideline:

https://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/beef/traeger-brisket

Both of my baby briskets came out pretty decent when I used the temperature settings mentioned in the recipe. I also rubbed my briskets and wrapped them in plastic the night before I cooked them. The only thing I'd consider changing is the internal temp it suggests foiling the meat at. It says to foil when it hits 160, but both times I hit the stall at 150. I feel like if I foiled at 150, my cooking time would have been shortened by an hour or so. I'm not sure how that would affect the texture though.

I let mine rest inside a towel-stuffed cooler for at least 30 minutes. I pretty much started fixing the sides as soon as I put the meat in to rest, so once the sides were done, out came the meat.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Not at all when doing hot and fast son.

225 let it roll. You running 275-300 enjoy dried out bark.

Isn't the chance of dry bark negated by the fact it's a shoulder and will likely be shredded anyway? I don't eat pork so I'm unfamiliar with the whole pulled pork scene.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
I attempted smoked beef ribs for the first time yesterday and committed the sin of being impatient, because they were taking longer than the 10 hours suggested in the recipe. They were at the 13 hour mark when I took them out, and had an internal temperature in the mid 190's instead of the target 205.

Possibly the best meat I have ever tasted in my life. So juicy and tender. I did a simple light dusting of salt, pepper, garlic powder and smoked paprika and it was perfect. I had home-made barbecue sauce on the side, but it wasn't needed at all. There must have been a load of connective tissue in there because it was still dripping out while it was resting and there was a ton in the drip tray post-smoke. The amount of meat was almost too much for a single serving and I was struggling to finish the last rib.

I've got another lot in the freezer, so I know for next time to trim them/remove the membrane the night before and to crutch them to speed up the cooking time (I'm hesitant to do that because of the amount of fat coming out). Is it possible to do a pseudo crutch by covering the top in foil so the fats can still render out? Or will that just result in a soggy bark and not actually speed up the cook?

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

atothesquiz posted:

What temperature were you smoking at?

I followed the traeger recipe I found suggesting a cooking temperature of 225. There was another recipe I found that suggested 250, but I went with the traeger recipe as it was my first time doing this. That video made things seem so much simpler than it was becoming in my head and I'll try a hotter temperature next time. I definitely noticed the tenderness when shifting the probe, which is why I was happy to take them off heat even though they weren't at 205.

Murgos posted:

Are these beef ribs with a thick layer of rib eye/prime rib still attached or are these beef short ribs?

This is a good question and I can't remember what I ordered from the butcher. Maybe short ribs? They've been siting in my freezer until the weather was good enough for smoking in. I'm going to be a return customer though. They were really delicious and the butcher is more than happy to do whatever cut I ask since they process the carcass in-store.

I had these guys for lunch while the ribs were still cooking. Store-bought chipolatas smoked for about 5 hours. I also double teamed it with the A-Maze-N grid. Will do again

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm living vicariously through you here since I'm dealing with a similar situation of managing refractory heat. I only have some unproven ideas.

But yeah... definitely put that ice in some kind of container instead of just unloading a bag into the thing.

A few days late, but have you seen this book? It was mentioned in the thread a while back and seems like it might help with your 'alternate' smoker plans.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Is there a consensus on Pit Boss branded pellets? A local hardware store started stocking them recently and I grabbed a bag of their competition blend to test. I've been using the Traeger pellets, but they've increased in price.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

That's all I've used and haven't had any issues. Lowe's has 40lb bags of a couple of different blends for $15 each, so it's really hard to pass up.

Jeez, I don't think the prices here will ever get that good for pellets. A 20lb bag is $30 in moon currency. That seems to be about the norm at the moment, at least until meat smokers become more popular

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Carillon posted:

Anyone have any tips on doing a whole short rib plate? The ribs themselves are long so my first instinct is to cut them across the ribs with a saw into smaller pieces, but not sure how that would hold up or if that's the best approach. Otherwise could keep them whole and then slice off the bone to serve, but I imagine part of the fun is the rib too. Any ideas would be great.

Can you post a pic of what they look like? Maybe with a scale to properly show off the size.

I've always served my ribs on the bone. It's less mucking around, gives you something to hold on to while you're eating, and makes you feel like the top dog. The last time I cooked ribs, they were in a plate of 6, so I just cut them into 2 rib servings before seasoning and adding to the smoker

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

I just bought a pellet grill. Is that cheating?

Which grill did you end up buying?

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

I got a Pit Boss one, it got an OK review by Amazing Ribs. It's nothing flash compared to the Traegers or GMGs but it's also half the price and still comes with a decent warranty if it fucks up. And it's going to get a thrashing so if it's a piece of poo poo I'll just keep swapping them over when they break.

I mainly wanted something I could throw a brisket in before I go to bed and wake up to not completely ruined meat, without the hassle of getting up every hour or so to adjust the vents on the weber.

I was curious about those. They looked similar to the Traeger models, if it's the one I'm thinking about. Build quality seemed pretty good too.

Purists think pellet grills are cheating, but they're super convenient. Bunnings sells a few varieties of pellets these days, depending on where you are, which can be a little cheaper than Barbeques Galore.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
I use an a-maze-n pellet maze with my pellet smoker. It adds extra smoke for minimal fuel, and allows me to customise my smoke with using additional flavours.

I've also used it to cold smoke some cheese inside my smoker and the results were pretty good, despite using cheap cheese. The biggest downside I found for it was the price (around $70 excluding shipping).

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Any Aussie goons, Barbeques Galore is having a Traeger pellet sale this weekend with 3 bags for $75. Reasonable, considering the regular price these days is $35 per bag

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

They were all burnt a couple of hours later when I checked the meat. I’m not sure if they went up in flames or smouldered though.

Judging by your pic, the heat bead started the smouldering further along the maze as well. Was probably hot enough to cause it to ignite.

I've found supermarket beef ribs to be back ribs instead of short ribs, so they won't have as much meat and will likely not be as good.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

It's a thing.

Pellet smokers give a subtle smoke flavour compared to other grills. I think people have a tendency to go heavy on smoke flavour normally, and, if the propaganda is to be believed, pellet smokers give the appropriate amount of smoke flavour.

I've not had an overpowering level of smoke flavour from my Traeger, despite a 14+ hour cook.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Veritek83 posted:

Anyone have advice/suggestions on a handheld smoke gun style device? I'm looking to do some basic cold-smoking, ideally some fish, maybe cheeses. I think a smoke gun would be my best bet, but I really don't know. I've currently got a PBC and some access to my friend's MES(though minimal experience with it).

I've used an A-maze-n pellet maze for cold smoking. I smoked cheese during the colder months to eliminate the need for a tray of ice inside my Traeger.

They're also useful for adding additional smoke flavours by using a different flavoured pellet/dust when cooking meat.

I'm assuming you've also got access to a vacuum sealer for when you're done cold smoking.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

I need to smoke the cheese about a week ahead of time so it can mellow in the fridge for a bit.

I'm assuming you've got a vacuum sealer for the cheese. My cheese needed at least 4 weeks to properly distribute the flavours, but this may have been because I went a little long on the smoking time.

I've read that 2-4 weeks is about the standard amount of resting time.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

wandler20 posted:

Thinking about purchasing a Traeger. What do you guys think/recommend?

I love my kamado but it's my lake grill and it's not something I want to transport back and forth every spring/fall.

From what I understand smoking works great on a Traeger as well as normal grilling, is that correct? I'm just not sure I want to go back to a propane grill because the kamado makes such drat good food. I guess I could just buy another one but at home I don't generally have as much time to grill so having something that's ready in a few minutes seems like a nice option. I'm open to suggestions from you gurus.

A Traeger won't reach the same temperatures as the kamado, and aren't suited to grilling.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Wachter posted:

Thanks for this. On reflection, since I'm the world's clumsiest motherfucker I think I'm going to go for one of those steel Broil Kings instead

Have you seen the Blaze aluminium kamado?

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Ultimate Mango posted:

The UltraQ showed up today. Hoooooly poo poo it is so much nicer than the cyber Q, which was also nice but this is next level.

Now I have to find meat to smoke this weekend.

Do you mind giving a thorough review of the UltraQ once you've got yourself familiar with it?

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Corn bread

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Rapulum_Dei posted:

It came up in the woodworking thread and made me wonder - can you smoke salt?

Smoking salt is super easy to do. The simplest way is to pour an amount of salt* into a foil tray and sit that to one side in the smoker. It'll need stirring every 30-40 minutes or so to help get an even distribution of smoke through the salt. The salt will begin to change colour as it absorbs the smoke, and can be taken out when you're happy with the intensity.

Some guides suggest lightly spritzing the salt with water to help the smoke stick to it more readily.

I haven't tested to see if the flavour mellows out if left for a while, but I imagine 'resting' allows the smoke to penetrate the salt crystals more thoroughly (similar to smoked cheese).

I've had quicker results with pumping smoke into a zip-loc bag containing salt and giving it a shake.

*Can be table, rock, flake, or a combination.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Did you need to dry the peppers out before blitzing?

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Does anyone have any experience with, or opinions on the Inkbird IBT-4XS Bluetooth thermometer?

The one review I've seen rated them comparable with the Weber iGrill 2, and they're much cheaper than my next choice (Thermoworks Smoke). A few times I've used the smoker and found myself needing more than the one probe that's supplied with the Traeger.

Speaking of, about mid last year the Traeger did a software update that somehow soft-bricked my controller and prevented the smoker from connecting to the app. I rarely use the Traeger and only realised the issue 7 months later. The local distributors here are sending me an updated controller to see if that resolves the issue. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

nwin posted:

Yep-I had the Bluetooth version for a while and agree with everything said. If I left my phone within Bluetooth range and tried to keep the app open, the graph would work. However it will still randomly time out and the graph would reset.

I’ve moved on to a FireBoard, but I see they make a WiFi version for $100 called the IBBQ-4T, so I wonder if that’s any better.

Also-if you look at the smokingmeat.com forums, inkbird was in there all the time giving discount codes out, so they might bring the price down if they still do that.

For me it's a case of $80 for the Inkbird or $375 for the 4 channel Thermoworks Smoke. I don't know if the price difference matches the performance.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Is there a separate grilling thread or does this one cover that too

I don't think it really matters. There's been plenty of discussion about sous vide in the thread as well

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Managed to do some smoking for the first time in a long while. It turns out the grocery store has started selling packs of beef ribs, and amazingly, the quality is actually better than what I can get from the local butchers here.

The probe started reading a temperature 20 degrees lower than when I first wrapped them, so I'm not sure what was going on. I pulled the ribs a bit earlier than I'd have liked (at around 190), but they were incredibly succulent and tender.

I also made vegan baked beans, chili using leftover brisket and beef cheek from a previous smoke, vegan mac & cheese and vegan cornbread. I also smoked some sausages to give me something to snack on for lunch.

This was the first time using cherry pellets, and it worked quite well.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Those recipes look a lot better than what I made. But yeah, I use a cashew cream as a base, then season with various spices and add a bit of mustard. I think there's also an element of 'accepted flavours' with some vegan stuff, like how nutritional yeast usually equates to a cheese flavour, despite not actually tasting a whole lot like real cheese.

I'll need to try those recipes next time, they look really good

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
I've just replaced the original hopper and controller from my gen 1 Traeger Ironwood with the updated version, as I was having issues with the original controller and its replacement. Fortunately, the controllers were covered by warranty.

It was annoying that there were no instructions provided with the replacement hopper, but the sales rep gave a few brief pointers via email. It was surprisingly easy to replace everything, and it gave me confidence seeing how simple the construction is. If something ever gets damaged, it's an easy fix.

I still need to burn the new unit in, and configure the new controller, but at least I'm now closer to smoking more meat again.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
For those of you with pellet smokers, it looks like Costco has started stocking 40lb bags of Kirkland Signature pellets for $12.99.

Apparently produced by Pit Boss but sold under the Costco branding.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Kaddish posted:

Interesting, I’m going to check mine today!

So far they've been seen in a few of the South Carolina stores, and there was meant to be more heading to Chicago.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Kaddish posted:

I'm all about chuck roast over brisket these days unless I'm going to feed a gathering. No, it's not as good but it's close enough and cheap!

Chuck roast works well as burnt ends, if you've never tried that. I improvised mine by using trimmed chuck steaks tied together as whole chuck roasts aren't really a thing here.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
My partner's dad was given a smoker as a present, and I was looking at giving him a few accessories to help him on his way. Would this book be appropriate for a novice? It seems to have been well-reviewed on a bunch of different sites. I've also got an Inkbird bluetooth thermometer and a roll of pink paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Now that I have like 15lbs of leftover smoked brisket does anyone have any recipes I can use this stuff on?

I've found this recipe to be a very good chilli recipe. The sauce base is what makes it so good, so you can also tweak everything else to personal preference.

I would recommend adding the meat toward the very end of the cooking otherwise it will just disintegrate due to already having been smoked.