Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

CactusWeasle posted:

It's a MAJOR step forward. They have done some experimenting with shaders and such and it really has a great look to it. The physics have been further improved and the cars provided so far are much more predictable. To be honest what was out prior to this could almost be called alpha because the difference is amazing. It's still beta, it runs like a dog, some textures and sounds are still pretty bad, HDR and shadows are way off, but im loving it now.

The new Formula Masters (F1) cars are very good too, worth a try for someone who's only interested in F1 sim stuff.

Yep. It's probably a combination of both physics updates and changes to the default setup, but it's actually possible to put your foot on the brakes in the Megane without locking the wheels. It's also possible to put the power on coming out of corners in the Formula Renault without the rear end exploding out of control half the time.

This is shaping up to be a monster, y'all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Once they have some dirt oval mods going for it, I'm ALL OVER RF2.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

By the way, if anyone has some good sets for the Renault, I would love to have a look. I'm terrible with that kind of thing but from what everyone says it's more or less necessary to get the most out of the car.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Why does rFactor 2 have a yearly online cost? Will everything be hosted on their dedicated servers or something?

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

An Enormous Boner posted:

By the way, if anyone has some good sets for the Renault, I would love to have a look. I'm terrible with that kind of thing but from what everyone says it's more or less necessary to get the most out of the car.

If you mean the FR 3.5, in the new build i find adding a couple of clicks to the front wing helps with corner entry, but i mostly run the Mills long course. Kinda starting from scratch now.

Brownie, that's for access to multiplayer. As far as i know you can buy and activate RF2 and play single player forever. I'm not sure how future content and updates will be affected though, but as of right now you can just throw them in the packages folder manually and update that way.

There's also a Lifetime membership option.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

I dare anyone to set the brake pressure to 85% in the Meganes in RF2 and tell me that isn't as good as racing sims have ever played.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

An Enormous Boner posted:

I dare anyone to set the brake pressure to 85% in the Meganes in RF2 and tell me that isn't as good as racing sims have ever played.
I'll give that a whirl. I really need to upgrade my computer for RF2 and Assetto Corsa though, as I built my PC in 2008. :v:

By the way, here's a thread for the simpit build I've been working on! Link

Latest update shows me getting a FREX Shift+ sequential shifter and have rewired it to work directly to my Fanatec wheel, which allows me to a) use it on Xbox 360 and b) Frees up one USB slot for rfactor/GTR Evolution.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

Falken posted:

I'll give that a whirl. I really need to upgrade my computer for RF2 and Assetto Corsa though, as I built my PC in 2008. :v:

By the way, here's a thread for the simpit build I've been working on! Link

Latest update shows me getting a FREX Shift+ sequential shifter and have rewired it to work directly to my Fanatec wheel, which allows me to a) use it on Xbox 360 and b) Frees up one USB slot for rfactor/GTR Evolution.

That's awesome. Whats the Frex like? Right now I have the Fanatec Clubsport pedals and a G25 that I hope to replace with a Clubsport Wheel if Fanatec ever get off their rear end. They also plan a shifter but that could be years away, so i might end up looking at the Frex or similar too.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

The Frex shifter is fantastic. The resistance is so solid that I was missing shifts due to not giving a good amount of force. Very good shifter in general.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

Falken posted:

The Frex shifter is fantastic. The resistance is so solid that I was missing shifts due to not giving a good amount of force. Very good shifter in general.

You've got me thinking now...

Did you order straight from their site? Looks like the Shift+ is about €160 with the USB board (this is kind of scaring me, i thought it would be a USB cable and off you go)

Is it loud to use? I like to race late at night.

I'm very tempted

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

CactusWeasle posted:

You've got me thinking now...

Did you order straight from their site? Looks like the Shift+ is about €160 with the USB board (this is kind of scaring me, i thought it would be a USB cable and off you go)

Is it loud to use? I like to race late at night.

I'm very tempted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo-x4J2Nn4s
That will give you an idea of the volume levels. To be honest, probably quieter than the clubsport pedals are. Don't be scared by the USB board. It's got crimping blocks on it, so the wiring goes into the corresponding holes, and then you tighten some screws... no harder to wire than a surround sound speaker. The reason this board exists is because if you get the FREX handbrake, it wires up to that too, which would eliminate a USB device. Of course, as I wired up the FREX to a PS/2 cable in the same manner as a Fanatec sequential shifter, the FREX shifter is merely 2 more button assignments on the Fanatec wheel.

I'm pretty sure that people have used the existing wiring for the Driving Force Pro/Driving Force GT to replace the stock sequential shifter for a Frex Shift+

I'll also be using a 3rd party shifter adapter so that I can use a Thrustmaster TH8RS with my Xbox 360 (and again, eliminate a USB device). I was going to wait for the Clubsport shifter, but frankly I think that we'll be waiting a good long while for it as they're focusing purely on the Clubsport Pedals V2, as well as extra wheel rims for the Clubsport Wheel.

e: When I finally find some crimping tubes, I'll be doing a brief guide on how to wire a Frex shifter to link direct to Fanatec wheels.

Falken fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 26, 2012

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Appreciate your reply, thanks. I looked at some other shifters available from Derek Speare and TSW but the Frex still looks like the best one. Now to decide if i should eat into my CSW budget :v:

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

FREX takes up the least footprint, as the entire shifter mechanism is at the very end of the shifter, whilst the DSD shifter has a good inch or so of casing south of the handle.

In other words, it's much easier to integrate the FREX into a build, especially if like me you have your sequential shifter up near the wheel, and a H pattern down where you'd have one on a real car. With the DSD shifter, you'd probably end up smashing your hand off the casing when reaching down to shift.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Here are some things that seem to make the Meganes in rFactor2 handle a bit better:

- Increase camber (positively)

- Increase caster

- Reduce brake pressure and put the ratio at 65:35

- Max out the downforce

The wheels won't lock up so much under braking, stopping distances seem to be shorter, and you can still turn really well (despite losing camber).

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

I'm having trouble with rFactor 2. I cannot install Megane cup, Formula Masters or the GT class. It seems to be telling me that Malaysia and Oban park(?) is missing? Is there a trackpack I'm missing out on?

Also, I'm finding the controls VERY floaty in rF2 compared to the likes of RF, Race 07/GTR Evo and iRacing. I just do not feel connected to either the classic GP cars or the Renault world series open wheelers.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

Falken posted:

I'm having trouble with rFactor 2. I cannot install Megane cup, Formula Masters or the GT class. It seems to be telling me that Malaysia and Oban park(?) is missing? Is there a trackpack I'm missing out on?

Also, I'm finding the controls VERY floaty in rF2 compared to the likes of RF, Race 07/GTR Evo and iRacing. I just do not feel connected to either the classic GP cars or the Renault world series open wheelers.

There is an issue where some mods seem to require content of other mods to install. For example, to install the Master mod you need to have the FR3.5 mod updated to V1.2. There might be an issue with the GT and Megane doing something similar.

All the files are here: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/1396-Downloads

I had a huuuge issue with this and ended up having to uninstall ALL ISI mods and reinstall them again, but with the mod manager it all took about 4 minutes. If it wont let you install, try updating the other mods to latest version first. They kind of made a mess of this in the recent release but, eh, that's what beta's are for.

I'm not sure about the floaty issue, cant say i have any complaints. You can always play around with the .plr file and increase the FFB if you dont feel its strong enough. It does seem slightly weaker than the last build but after a few laps i found it more realistic.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

I'll give that a shot.

I really cannot wait until Laguna Seca is in rF2. I fell in love with that track way back in Gran Turismo 2, and just cannot get enough of it. Great fun to drive pretty much any car around it.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
I just ordered a Frex Shift+. At least i think i have. They sent me a mail saying they will contact me for payment, so who knows what that means.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

CactusWeasle posted:

I just ordered a Frex Shift+. At least i think i have. They sent me a mail saying they will contact me for payment, so who knows what that means.
You'll get the message eventually.

Be prepared for a lead time though. I ordered mine on the 1st of May, and recieved the payment request on the 9th, also letting me know that they were assembling a batch of shifters, and then it was shipped away on the 12th. It then took a further 10 days for it to get to me as HM Customs held onto it for a week.

Not too bad all in all. I'm glad I ordered mine. :)

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
I reckon i will still have it before i have a Clubsport Wheel :argh:

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

CactusWeasle posted:

I reckon i will still have it before i have a Clubsport Wheel :argh:
Yeah, haha. I would really like to have a Clubsport shifter, but I think I'll have grandkids by the time that one's out.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
Does anyone play simraceway? I installed it just for the palatov motorsports dp4 and formula SAE cars. The physics seems pretty on to me but nobody seems to be online so I'm just racing by myself.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

I've not tried it yet. Looks interesting, so I'll give it a shot.

Definetely going to have to start up iRacing again now that I have a good wheel and pedals.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Wow, the GT World Endurance series cars seem to have absolutely no grip at all.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

Falken posted:

Wow, the GT World Endurance series cars seem to have absolutely no grip at all.

To be honest i've seen nothing but praise for them, and I myself drive the GTR a LOT and find it just fantastic. I don't deviate much from the default setup other than increasing rear wing by a couple of clicks. Infact, if i was pushed, id say it has too much grip, rather than too little. I can power off corners quite early providing i do some steering correction and short-shift.

Are you warming the tyres up, and not overheating them? Overheating the tyres causes a huge loss of grip, but thats all i can think of really.

E: and keep in mind the 370Z is pretty much a street car and not a purebred racecar.

CactusWeasle fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 29, 2012

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Hmm. What Degrees of rotation are you using on your wheel?

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c0o697F1g8

This is absolute butthole-puking, ball-loving, cornholing insanity and it speaks to how poorly modern sims emulate the progressive grip of racing cars or really any cars.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Not a racing sim, but super promising for the future of damage modeling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KppTmsNFneg

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Brownie posted:

Not a racing sim, but super promising for the future of damage modeling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KppTmsNFneg
Looks like nicely modelled drivetrain inertia too. I imagine this would come into it's own so we could see stuff like this when using slow motion mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XETaqRvlK60

All those aero elements wobbling under stress. :3:

Falken fucked around with this message at 10:14 on May 29, 2012

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The original Rigs of Rods had cars and trucks that solely relied on chassis flex for suspension and they acted nicely. Which has me stumped why sim developers (apparently) don't want to simulate it, apart from F1 cars, most others are relatively flexible and it would probably make a difference in cornering and/or bumpier roads.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 29, 2012

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.
Here's another neat driving sim that seems to have a decent grasp on vehicle body physics:

http://www.oovee.co.uk/games/upcoming-games/spin-tires/

That cryengine 3 demonstration is amazing though... how come there aren't games being released with this? How about a Destruction Derby 3? (Dirt showdown doesn't count)

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

Falken posted:

Hmm. What Degrees of rotation are you using on your wheel?

In RF2 its set to 576 degrees. I'm not sure if thats default, i dont remember changing it.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Well, this certainly was a crash. :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9qmXLSXavI

One in a million?

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

So, I did a couple of 4:22s around Spa in the F3s. People on the ISI forums are doing 4:16-18. It's nuts... I really need to figure out how that's done. By the way, if anyone wants to join up and hotlap, I've been running a listen server off and on. My internet connection is abysmally bad but that shouldn't matter much for hotlapping.

Falken posted:

One in a million?

Wow, I did not know such a thing was possible.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

Falken posted:

One in a million?

Post that on the ISI forums. You will be a hero.

I havent gone near the historic stuff for a while but Brianza (Monza) 1966 is due out very soon, and possibly the Brabham too. Might rekindle my interest in those.

I was so blown away by build 85 that aside from the Frex ive also ordered a new graphics card. Now i HOPE Fanatec don't release the Clubsport for a while :v:

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Hotlapping the 1960s cars around Spa in rFactor 2, if anyone wants to join in. The server is 'coolgame' and the password is 'pass'.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
First screenies of Brianza '66 and the Brabham B20

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/5859-Announcing-Brianza?p=70922

e:

quote:

So, I did a couple of 4:22s around Spa in the F3s. People on the ISI forums are doing 4:16-18. It's nuts

I've done probably 50 laps in the F2 the last couple of days. Every time you think you have Spa figured out, bam, in the trees/fence/field/house. I have even done some great laps in the 60's F1 cars there but going back to car thats 30~ seconds a lap slower doesnt mean you've got it down. The cars and track just feel so alive. One lap and the next are never the same. I LOVE it.

CactusWeasle fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 31, 2012

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

I'm going to be slowly upgrading my PC for rFactor 2, C.A.R.S., Assetto Corsa etc.

Right now I'm running a C2D 8600, Nvidia GTX280 and 4GB of ram. I'm probably going to throw in a GTX560 this month, and then look into upgrading the rest of the system the next month.

Sound like a good idea?

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Falken posted:

I'm going to be slowly upgrading my PC for rFactor 2, C.A.R.S., Assetto Corsa etc.

Right now I'm running a C2D 8600, Nvidia GTX280 and 4GB of ram. I'm probably going to throw in a GTX560 this month, and then look into upgrading the rest of the system the next month.

Sound like a good idea?

If I was you I'd probably hold off until those games were closer to release, because hardware moves stupidly fast and for all you know a new generation of cards/CPU's could come out that are a better purchase.

Do you have any performance issues with rF2 or CARS now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Well, rFactor 2 and CARS run "ok", with framerate stutters.

When are we expecting rF2?

• Locked thread