Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Falken posted:

Weren't the ISR guys really stoked for this race?

ISR organised it and were going to host it on tournament servers.

Then iracing stepped in and offered to host it on the official servers, and completely hosed up the settings for them.

Also 3 of the top 4 Caddy qualifiers were put on an Australian server, despite being told it was going to be US servers only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Bless em, not surprised though, they've never quite grasped "Multi class".

Burn the Priest
Apr 20, 2010
Also, they didn't even put the right track layout on, they had the classic boot layout without the inner loop.

:negative:

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Well that was the layout used for all the practices so if it was wrong someone should have said a lot earlier.

I prefer it without the inner loop anyway, it's an ugly pointless bus stop in a world where people can't kill themselves by making a mistake at the next corner and removing it creates one of the most challenging and fun braking zones there is.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Renault Clio Cup 1.0 for Rfactor 2 released

Shame I can't drive it. Fanatec have had my CSR Elite since the 23rd of June. :negative:

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Falken posted:

Renault Clio Cup 1.0 for Rfactor 2 released

Shame I can't drive it. Fanatec have had my CSR Elite since the 23rd of June. :negative:

I was considering the Clubsport Wheel, but holy hell they have made a monumental fuckup of everything. I'm sticking to my G25 for a few months and see whats happening then, but I want nothing to do with this company right now.

Good luck ever seeing your wheel again :v:

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

CactusWeasle posted:

I was considering the Clubsport Wheel, but holy hell they have made a monumental fuckup of everything. I'm sticking to my G25 for a few months and see whats happening then, but I want nothing to do with this company right now.

Good luck ever seeing your wheel again :v:

What happened?

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

Brownie posted:

What happened?

Every time they tried to launch the new website to put it on sale, the site crashed. Now they dont know for sure how many people have ordered due to the system problems, or how many duplicate orders exist, etc etc. They are now saying some people wont get their orders until September.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

These are fun. They're the easiest to drive of any of the currently-released cars (although you can roll them if you're not careful!). Not too fast, not too slow... it makes for some nice and close racing.

There is a sound bug when there's a large pack, though, which makes for some annoying audio distortion. I think ISI is working on it.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

An Enormous Boner posted:

There is a sound bug when there's a large pack, though, which makes for some annoying audio distortion. I think ISI is working on it.

The very same bug was present when this leaked WEEKS ago. I have no idea what ISI are actually doing with their time but very little of it seems to involve working on RF2.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

CactusWeasle posted:

The very same bug was present when this leaked WEEKS ago. I have no idea what ISI are actually doing with their time but very little of it seems to involve working on RF2.

Well, yeah, apart from the patches which continually improve the graphics and physics and add new or updated content. I guess a sound bug in a single mod means they aren't doing anything, though -- you should be a scientist!

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Ugh my Fanatec standard pedals have finally given up the ghost after working on and off for the past few months. I contacted the store I bought them from and they're willing to give me a refund, but since the pedals are out of stock there's no way to get them replaced.

It's frustrating because the pedals that came on my lovely $60 Thrustmaster had better response and were stiffer (but did lack a clutch, which admittedly I never used) and the whole set cost AS MUCH as the standard pedals. That's retarded.

So now my only option is to not have pedals or to upgrade to the CSR pedals which cost like $130, bleh.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

An Enormous Boner posted:

Well, yeah, apart from the patches which continually improve the graphics and physics and add new or updated content. I guess a sound bug in a single mod means they aren't doing anything, though -- you should be a scientist!

I know they have a smaller team than say SMS, but the first RF2 beta hit in January, and if you actually look at the updates and changes in builds and content, progress has been slow.

I am a huge RF2 and ISI fan, but I am the first to step up and say im disappointed in the pace of things in the beta. The Clio sound bug was one of the most obvious bugs in the V0.1 leak, and between then and V1.0 now, they havent bothered to address it. I just dont see the point of releasing a dozen half finished mods to a half finished beta engine. We're going to end up soon with a release version full of official, unfinished mods. I just think its messy, and ill-planned.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

CactusWeasle posted:

I know they have a smaller team than say SMS, but the first RF2 beta hit in January, and if you actually look at the updates and changes in builds and content, progress has been slow.

I am a huge RF2 and ISI fan, but I am the first to step up and say im disappointed in the pace of things in the beta. The Clio sound bug was one of the most obvious bugs in the V0.1 leak, and between then and V1.0 now, they havent bothered to address it. I just dont see the point of releasing a dozen half finished mods to a half finished beta engine. We're going to end up soon with a release version full of official, unfinished mods. I just think its messy, and ill-planned.

I see where you're coming from. For me, the changes in performance and the way the cars drive over the versions have both been more than enough for a sense of satisfaction. Plus, I look at the default content as more of a bonus than anything -- ultimately I'm sure I'll be playing entirely user-made content. The fact that it's good as it is (seriously, the '60s cars are nuts) is enough for me right now.

It's pretty funny that they were shooting for a 6 month beta period, though. Yeah, right.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Apparently Cadillac are giving away 6 month free memberships for iracing.

http://www.virtualr.net/six-months-of-free-iracing-promo

quote:

Cadillac is giving away promo codes for six free months of iRacing + three additional tracks, allowing all sim racers to experience the Cadillac CTS-V race car that was added to iRacing’s base content pack a few months ago.

By signing up to the Cadillac website (link below), users receive a promo code via email that enables them to sign up for a free six-month iRacing membership including the base content pack. Furthermore, the promo also adds three additional tracks as Mid Ohio, Infineon Raceway & Mosport are included as well!

As usual with iRacing promos though, the promo code only works for new members.

https://cadillaccupracing.com/

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010
Not sure if that's US only but I'm giving it a go. Always wanted to try out iRacing.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
One modder for RF2 has released an amazing version of Croft, and its by far the best track yet. Even better than VLM's Mid Ohio, for me. It's an amazing drive and looks spectacular to boot. Really shows off what RF2 can do, even at this early stage.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

New build of rFactor 2 (101) out.

I haven't tried it yet, but people are reporting better FFB and some graphical fixes.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have to say, i'm getting more and more excited for Assetto Corsa as we learn more about the sim. It is looking really good so far.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

For a supposedly niche genre, we've really got a fuckload of choice haven't we? It's loving brilliant.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

For some reason the Formula Masters don't actually have wet tires? I tried a wet drive in Malaysia with the wet tires selected. They appeared to be slicks with a very faint tread pattern texture.

The tires behaved as slicks would: IE No chance of any kind of throttle.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I have to say, i'm getting more and more excited for Assetto Corsa as we learn more about the sim. It is looking really good so far.

Yeah, it looks like it's going to be excellent. Netkar has always driven extremely well, but has lacked moddability, graphical quality, and good online play. AC seems like it's improving upon all of those things, as well as adding a bunch of cool cars.

Falken posted:

For some reason the Formula Masters don't actually have wet tires? I tried a wet drive in Malaysia with the wet tires selected. They appeared to be slicks with a very faint tread pattern texture.

The tires behaved as slicks would: IE No chance of any kind of throttle.

Wet weather driving in rFactor 2 is very much incomplete and not really recommended at the moment. I can't wait for the properly drying track and hydroplaning and all that business, though.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Yeah, I'm otherwise enjoying the beta so far but I do have some issues at this time.

- Rear flap / DRS needs to be a hold button, not toggle. It's a pain to toggle the DRS on and off, and would be much more convenient to just hold a button down that's near the handgrips of the wheel.

- Formula 3.5s have really bad engine sound, holy drat.

- Grip just seems to disappear very suddenly with the 3.5s and Masters. They just don't feel that confidence inducing even after many practice laps.

- Steering wheel seems to lose it's center in game after a bunch of laps by a few degrees, but shows that the wheel is OK in both Fanatec application and other sims. Kind of annoying but eh.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Yeah the 3.5 engine sound really sucks and does not sound at all convincing.

The fast modern open-wheelers both have weird FFB because of some kind of technical compromise -- they are weaker in general to make up for the broader extremes that the cars will experience, if I understand it correctly. I think it makes them unnecessarily harder to drive. I'd take a little clipping to have a stiffer center and feel in the front wheels, personally.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Not sure if anybody has seen this yet, but Victory: The Age of Racing, has just gone into beta.
http://victorythegame.com/

It looks interesting, but I'm dubious about it. Apparently its touting "Realistic Physics" but just from gameplay it doesn't really look like it. But on the other hand it does look fun.

Check out the about page.
http://victorythegame.com/victory/basics

I've signed up, and I'm downloading now. The whole future F1 thing looks neat, as does building your own car. Guess I'll know in an hour.

Have some videos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vEUaQSW_l4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh5QeaSfTnE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg4NBUsR2y4

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

tehsid posted:

Not sure if anybody has seen this yet, but Victory: The Age of Racing, has just gone into beta.
http://victorythegame.com/

It looks interesting, but I'm dubious about it. Apparently its touting "Realistic Physics" but just from gameplay it doesn't really look like it. But on the other hand it does look fun.

Check out the about page.
http://victorythegame.com/victory/basics

I've signed up, and I'm downloading now. The whole future F1 thing looks neat, as does building your own car. Guess I'll know in an hour.

Have some videos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vEUaQSW_l4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh5QeaSfTnE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg4NBUsR2y4

Just gave this a try. It looks interesting, but the only thing that'd make it more arcadey would be if there was a timer counting down and checkpoints I needed to pass to be allowed to keep driving.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

tehsid posted:

Apparently its touting "Realistic Physics"

"Turn wheel left, car goes left. JUST LIKE REAL LIFE!

Falken posted:

Far as i know the tires are wet but not the textures yet. Overall the wet isnt finished, and in fact, in one of the recent builds, you could set faster laps on a wet track/wet tires than on a dry track with slicks. Dont know if they fixed that yet, but its all a bit of a mess at the moment (since January).

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...
I got Race 07 a while back from steam and I'm really just getting into it now (Especially with a really good Atom 500 mod). The only problem I'm having is that tracks get irritating when it only lets me run 21 or so cars on a track (Or in one mod track case. Only 8 cars on track at a time) when I want to run a 30 car championship. Any mods or fixes that can get around this or am I stuck with this?

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

rFactor 2 beta build 107 out: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/1396-Downloads

Apparently they've added code for turbos, which owns bones. I don't think any cars use it yet but that's definitely a massive improvement from the silly shortcuts that most sims make.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I never understood the need for turbo modelling, if the engine's a dumb torque curve.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

I never understood the need for turbo modelling, if the engine's a dumb torque curve.

Why not? In most sims, the turbo is just fudged into the torque curve instead of being a simulated thing that actually spins up/down.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

A proper turbo simulation requires a parametric engine model to work with, that takes, among other parameters, air intake and pressure from the turbo as parameter and outputs exhaust volume/pressure to the turbo. No simulation does a parametric engine IIRC. So a turbo simulation just spits out a ramped multiplier based on throttle position.

The only game that seemed to try such an engine simulation was RBR, but it didn't make it into game because it was too CPU heavy (it tried to simulate actual cylinder strokes).

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

A proper turbo simulation requires a parametric engine model to work with, that takes, among other parameters, air intake and pressure from the turbo as parameter and outputs exhaust volume/pressure to the turbo. No simulation does a parametric engine IIRC. So a turbo simulation just spits out a ramped multiplier based on throttle position.

The only game that seemed to try such an engine simulation was RBR, but it didn't make it into game because it was too CPU heavy (it tried to simulate actual cylinder strokes).

They added some new engine code to rF2 a few versions ago, though I doubt it's what you're saying (plus no cars make use of it yet). I wonder what they did.

An Enormous Boner fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 1, 2012

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I tried tracking down that reference, and it seems they're actually trying to come up with an combustion engine simulation.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
The (Turbo) FIA Formula 2 cars are supposed to be released later this week. That's WHY the turbo code was implemented into build 107.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Well SimBin has finally released something!... and it's not GTR3. But it is a free demo of a Free2Play racing game coming out later on steam I guess:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/211500/

Anyone tried it? My fanatec stuff is still broken :(

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Brownie posted:

Well SimBin has finally released something!... and it's not GTR3. But it is a free demo of a Free2Play racing game coming out later on steam I guess:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/211500/

Anyone tried it? My fanatec stuff is still broken :(
I tried it with a wired 360 and for a game that talks about having a million profiles so you don't have to deal with poo poo, it didn't recogonize the controller at all so I had to make a custom profile for it just to be able to use it.

It felt ok but the demo is locked to having the cars have the driving aids defaulted to on, I'm not even sure if you can turn them off but it's really loving stupid and annoying. I do kind of like though how it has a dynamically updating driving line based on your previous lap so you can basically get your braking points down to the absolute minimum over time.

edit: Oh yeah, I have a 5.1 setup, with optical out and with the stereo option on it sounded ok. Then I remember seeing a loading screen talking about how they have support for 7.1 or whatever so I turned on 5.1, the game then proceeded to sound awful. I could barely hear the engine, or my tires and instead heard what I imagine was the brakes and that's about it.

Overall it seems the usual SimBin quality of having one or two neat things under a ton of garbage.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I think the idea of Raceroom is to give you a watered down introduction to sim racing. Don't expect to be able to disable the driving aids ever in RR.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

I have Race 07 and it's decent, albeit not spectacularly realistic a lot of the time. If they made a nice F2P game of comparable quality with some easy matchmaking, I think it could be fun.

I wonder if they're planning on charging for tracks and cars or just cosmetic stuff.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I think the idea of Raceroom is to give you a watered down introduction to sim racing. Don't expect to be able to disable the driving aids ever in RR.

Oh, eugh. Never mind then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

That's what I've been told. Grain of salt required. Word was that the better stuff was reserved for GTR3.

• Locked thread