Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
Got an Android tablet and want to talk about it? This is your place. If you're looking to buy one, please check the "Recommend me a Tablet" thread.

Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet
See the eReader thread for specs, a bit more than an eReader so fair game here. Budget tablets you're probably going to need to hack up to get access to the Android Market so definitely not a great out-of-the-box standard Android tablet.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3366619

For the rest of the non-iPad crowd
Other tablet talk from the old non-iPad thread should go in one of these places:
Playbook discussion should go in the Blackberry thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3157932

TouchPad (running WebOS) discussion should go in the WebOS thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3435033

TouchPads hacked up and running CM7 should go in the rooted Android thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3358561

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Heroes Never Die

Since the topic just started on the last thread, the Prime got an OTA update this evening. So far the changes confirmed are as follows:

GPS Firmware Update
Wallpaper fix (no more black bars on the far left and right in landscape mode)
New menu button in the top right of applications.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Galaxy Tab 10.1 has 3.2, fyi.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
So is the consensus that the next big flop will be the Asus 7 inch Tegra 3 1200 x 800 Memo Pad?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I didn't see it mentioned in the other thread, but Google has started pushing ICS to all US Wifi Xooms, it's no longer in the test phase. The LTE one is expected after Verizon finishes testing.

Google has also posted the ICS binaries for the Xoom (both versions) on their code page.

http://code.google.com/android/nexus/drivers.html

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
You might want to mention in the OP that there's a 7 inch thrive as well.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Galaxy Tab 10.1 has 3.2, fyi.

Someone should tell Samsung because their site still says 3.1.

cultureulterior posted:

You might want to mention in the OP that there's a 7 inch thrive as well.

Got it, thanks.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
For anyone that missed it:

OTA update for Prime GPS:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/01/18/asus-transformer-prime-update-imminent-supposedly-fixes-gps-woes/

Also, OG Transformers are available in a 32 GB version as well.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
There was something in the last thread about WiFi in ICS and how it doesn't support ad hoc networks. I'm a moron so I need to have this spelled out.

Does this mean I can't use my Galaxy S 2 as a WiFi hotspot for my Prime? (if the signal can penetrate the armor ofcourse)

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Trump posted:

There was something in the last thread about WiFi in ICS and how it doesn't support ad hoc networks. I'm a moron so I need to have this spelled out.

Does this mean I can't use my Galaxy S 2 as a WiFi hotspot for my Prime? (if the signal can penetrate the armor ofcourse)

If you're using wifi tether for root try softAP mode instead of ad-hoc.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today
Wired Magazine finally released for NOOK, but they inexplicably restricted access to only the NOOK Tablet and NOOK Color. You can't access it with the Android app. It's been available on Amazon for a while, but again, is only available on the Kindle Fire. :smith:

They've had an iPad app for almost 2 years, but still no way to access from an Android device... Makes me a very sad panda.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I just ordered the MoKo(TM) Premium Quality Slim-Fit Folio Cover Case for my Transformer Prime. It looks to be more like a smart-case kind of cover and smaller than the one I currently have. It also happens to be in stock which is a nice feature for these cases. I'll update /w a review once it arrives.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Trump posted:

ICS uses wifi direct which is like an enhanced ad-hoc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Direct

Basically, ad-hoc with discovery.

quote:

Wi-Fi Direct essentially embeds a software access point ("Soft AP"), into any device that wishes to support Direct.[4] The soft AP provides a version of Wi-Fi Protected Setup with its push-button or PIN-based setup.

So, you are going to see more and more stuff support wifi direct in the future.

Keep in mind, I don't think that's the same as the wireless hotspot functionality included in devices. The hotspot functionality included in Android is an actual wifi AP and not using ad-hoc.

For example, on my galaxy nexus, there's Wifi direct under the Wifi menu, but there's a whole separate spot for tethering and creating a wireless hotspot and I'm pretty sure that doesn't use wifi direct.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Heroes Never Die

Trump posted:

It depends on HOW you're using your phone as a wifi hotspot. As 900ftjesus said, using a wifi tethering app you have to use SoftAP/Infrastructure mode rather than ad-hoc mode. If you're using the built-in Mobile Hotspot under the wifi settings on the phone, it will work with no problem. That's how I've been tethering since I got my prime.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So I know you have to let the Prime charge for 8 hours, according to the instructions on first time use, but can you use it while it is charging? Or would it better to just let it sit there and charge?

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
Might want to mention that the Xyboards are still called the Xoom 2 and Xoom 2 Media Edition (for the 10 and 8 inch versions, respectively) in Europe (or at least the UK) in the OP.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SlayVus posted:

So I know you have to let the Prime charge for 8 hours, according to the instructions on first time use, but can you use it while it is charging? Or would it better to just let it sit there and charge?

In every case where a new device says this, it's ok to use it during that time. The manufacturer just wants to make sure you actually get it charged at least once.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003
Looks like audio is working on the Kindle fire ICS build. I may give it a go this weekend to see how it runs.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Checked for new firmware on my Prime and it found the gps update instantly, installing as I type

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Is the circuitry in this picture the touch sensors for the Prime?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4784673/Pictures/Photos/Touch%20sensor.jpg

Also... I got my PRIME!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4784673/Pictures/Photos/Prime/Prime.jpg

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, I think that's the capacitive touch grid.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

FunOne posted:

I just ordered the MoKo(TM) Premium Quality Slim-Fit Folio Cover Case for my Transformer Prime. It looks to be more like a smart-case kind of cover and smaller than the one I currently have. It also happens to be in stock which is a nice feature for these cases. I'll update /w a review once it arrives.
I bought the Poetic(TM) Leather Case Cover With Stand from Amazon just $10 shipped, and I'm pretty happy with it.

Pro:
-Nice quality hard leather cover
-Magnets to hold cover shut
-Very sturdy stand
-Big clear cutouts for cameras AND speaker grill
-Soft velvety interior
-Easy to access all ports and buttons

Cons:
-Interior of case is dust magnet
-No way to stand in portrait mode
-Can't charge while case is closed
-Leather cover seems to attract oily finger smudges

gibbonplusplus
Aug 20, 2004
roflcopter?
So my Xoom got the ICS update last night and while it's all nice and ICS-y I noticed my web flash video is noticeably worse. I used to be able to play HQ videos from the GSL starcraft gomtv website and now the audio keeps up but the video lags behind and then cuts forward periodically. :(

Similar to how my galaxy nexus plays these videos but I chalked that up to some difference between the processors (despite the TI SoC in the galaxy nexus being better for video than tegra 2 in general). Now I'm worried this is some problem with the ICS flash implementation.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

McLarenF1 posted:

So is the consensus that the next big flop will be the Asus 7 inch Tegra 3 1200 x 800 Memo Pad?

Anyone have a clue when this thing will release? I'd imaging several months just because it's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Heroes Never Die

BushidoLLAMA posted:

So my Xoom got the ICS update last night and while it's all nice and ICS-y I noticed my web flash video is noticeably worse. I used to be able to play HQ videos from the GSL starcraft gomtv website and now the audio keeps up but the video lags behind and then cuts forward periodically. :(

Similar to how my galaxy nexus plays these videos but I chalked that up to some difference between the processors (despite the TI SoC in the galaxy nexus being better for video than tegra 2 in general). Now I'm worried this is some problem with the ICS flash implementation.

There IS an issue with ICS flash implementation. ASUS supposedly added some fixes for it to one of their updates (maybe even the one last night?) and they recommended also uninstalling flash and reinstalling it after that update.

Hell if I can find where I found that at though. I've been trying to find an accurate listing of update change logs :(

Edit: Found it!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1449992

quote:

1/19/12 Update - The ICS 9.4.2.11 update being rolled out now addresses the horizontal line and random signal line issues after the initial ICS load. It also addresses poor video playback (especially YouTube), however if you still have the YouTube corruption problem after this update, please uninstall then reinstall Flash from the app market. This patch also addresses the random reboot problem after the ICS update but we still have another patch that is in qualification testing at NVIDIA to fully solve these problems.

Frozen Peach fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 19, 2012

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So I have successfully tethered my Droid X to my TFP and can use the 3G connection from the phone on my TFP. However, when I connect to my Wifi at home with the phone, the TFP no longer gets internet access. My phone however is stilled connected by both bluetooth and can access the web.

Any suggestions?

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I didn't see it mentioned in the other thread, but Google has started pushing ICS to all US Wifi Xooms, it's no longer in the test phase. The LTE one is expected after Verizon finishes testing.

Google has also posted the ICS binaries for the Xoom (both versions) on their code page.

http://code.google.com/android/nexus/drivers.html

I just installed it and I'm in love. There's no longer a huge delay in entering text in the default browser and the new font is much easier to read. Scrolling seems a little smoother too. It's not perfect, but it's steadily getting better.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

SamBishop posted:

I just installed it and I'm in love. There's no longer a huge delay in entering text in the default browser and the new font is much easier to read. Scrolling seems a little smoother too. It's not perfect, but it's steadily getting better.

Glad they fixed the typing speed issue. I've noticed it's totally fine on my Galaxy Nexus but I didn't want to get my hopes up and see it still sucking on my tablet. I can't believe that one made it out of Google's QA department.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ferg posted:

Glad they fixed the typing speed issue. I've noticed it's totally fine on my Galaxy Nexus but I didn't want to get my hopes up and see it still sucking on my tablet. I can't believe that one made it out of Google's QA department.

You're assuming they QA'd Honeycomb.

I think as long as it built and didn't brick devices they were happy.

That's said, I'm expecting ICS on my Xoom to behave exactly like ICS on my Galaxy Nexus performance wise (which has been great), there's no real reason why it shouldn't even though the SoC is slighty slower. I can't even say "oh my phone has a lower resolution so I have to lower my expectations for the tablet" since they are only 80 pixels different.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 20, 2012

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

SlayVus posted:

So I have successfully tethered my Droid X to my TFP and can use the 3G connection from the phone on my TFP. However, when I connect to my Wifi at home with the phone, the TFP no longer gets internet access. My phone however is stilled connected by both bluetooth and can access the web.

Any suggestions?

Yee, connect your tfp (three foot penis? Turd fetish photographer?) to wifi.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Xoom goons, you have to let us know if you have the same ICS Prime bug, where the thread loads but blank screen shows up unless you scroll or change orientation.

e: Sorry wrong thread, but still relevant. This is in regards to the Awful forums reader app available now in the Android Market.

McLarenF1 fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 20, 2012

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Cakefool posted:

Yee, connect your tfp (three foot penis? Turd fetish photographer?) to wifi.

The WiFi speed in my room ranges from 20kbps to 400 kbps. I haven't tried next to the router yet.

However if i could get my laptop to share it's connection with my tfp over bluetooth i could get a constant 55-60mbps connection.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 20, 2012

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Heroes Never Die

McLarenF1 posted:

Xoom goons, you have to let us know if you have the same ICS Prime bug, where the thread loads but blank screen shows up unless you scroll or change orientation.

I have this on my Prime. I haven't had a chance to report it to the Awful app thread. It only happens every once in a while.

Zach the Drifter
Jul 16, 2006
To all of your galaxy tab 10.1 users out there. I wanted to encourage you to consider rooting and installing a custom rom. It was shocking to me the performance boost received when you make the jump. You can overclock your CPU from 1 Ghz to 1.4 Ghz and with all of the other optimizations available, I've taken no noticable battery hit. Like all things android I would using XDA. A good place to start http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1171089.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I sent my Xoom off to Verizon to get the 4g upgrade today (put that off far too long). Any chance they will put ICS on it for me? Also, what's the average turnaround on the upgrade?

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

SlayVus posted:

The WiFi speed in my room ranges from 20kbps to 400 kbps. I haven't tried next to the router yet.

However if i could get my laptop to share it's connection with my tfp over bluetooth i could get a constant 55-60mbps connection.

bluetooth 2.1 is only capable of a transfer rate of around 3mbps.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

El Duke posted:

bluetooth 2.1 is only capable of a transfer rate of around 3mbps.

A constant 3mbps would be better than a fluctuating 20KBps-400KBps. As 3mbps is roughly 380KBps.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Or you could either resite the router itself, or buy a wifi extender unit. Instead of relying on slow bluetooth.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
Primes are available on Amazon, should be getting mine tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
What have other Prime users done to secure their microsd card from falling out?