Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peppersmith
Oct 29, 2007

Kynetx posted:

My experience wasn't as good. I found the pen interface to be lacking, but that may have been corrected in the ICS update. Give it a try first.
You mean the Honeycomb update? The pen can now be used as a stylus without activating the "scribbling" mode, but it's no more useful than a finger for navigation. HC brought support for 3rd-party apps to use the Magic Pen pressure sensitivity- I found Quill to be an excellent replacement for the stock Notes app for drawing.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Does anyone have an Acer Iconia A100? Was seriously considering a Kindle Fire, but the A100 is only $50 more currently.

I bought one and returned it to the store after about two days. The LCD has infuriatingly small viewing angles, and the frame is flimsy creaking plastic.

Peppersmith fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

C-Euro posted:

I have a Transformer running 3.2.1. Earlier today I received a notification that there was a system update available, but since I was working with my tablet I decided to wait until I got home from work to update. Now that I'm home the update notification is gone and I can't seem to get it back; I checked for updates using the Settings menu and I even rebooted the tablet to see if it would pop up. Did I gently caress myself out of ICS or something?

VV Tried that. Twice. But if the notification is gone maybe it installed automatically?

It's possible they were doing a test of the release for ICS, and you just happened to be lucky enough to get a notification in that few minute window - but it was pulled before you got to install it.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Are there any good calendar apps that do timelines for tablets?
I like to use PureGrid Calendar on my phone, but on the HPTouchPad (with CM9alpha), it looks like rear end on the ones that I've tried.. That or too small to be useful.

Like this, but nice and easy to read on the large screen.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Peppersmith posted:

You mean the Honeycomb update? The pen can now be used as a stylus without activating the "scribbling" mode, but it's no more useful than a finger for navigation. HC brought support for 3rd-party apps to use the Magic Pen pressure sensitivity- I found Quill to be an excellent replacement for the stock Notes app for drawing.

Nope, ICS. It is supposed to have native pen support, and I recall reading that it has either arrived, or will arrive soon I think.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Woot has the Toshiba Thrive 10.1 on sale today for 279. I was going to jump on it then I remembered it was a Thrive.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mighty Horse posted:

Anyone have any feedback on the HTC Flyer? I can get them super cheap through work and they have an official HC Rom out now.

If you can get one for $99-199 its a good buy, honeycomb seems nice on it.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Well gently caress. I went ahead and ordered a Galaxy Tab 7 Plus from Amazon. It was a lightning deal and is one of my favorite tablets. I'll give it to the fiance or flip it when Asus gets around to releasing their 7 inch offering.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009
Two questions:
1. What's the goon recommended android tablet?
2. What's the biggest, heaviest, most battery-draininest tablet on the market today?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

angrytech posted:

2. What's the biggest, heaviest, most battery-draininest tablet on the market today?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X1NyZRX_Tk

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009
:catstare:
Ok, except for that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

angrytech posted:

Two questions:
1. What's the goon recommended android tablet?

It varies, but the Asus Transformer series tends to be the most popular.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yeah, I got a Transformer for Christmas and it rocks. If my job didn't require so much data analysis/workup that can only be done on a Windows machine I'd probably stop bringing my laptop into work and just use that. Perfect size (for me), great battery, more than enough horsepower for everything I want to do. My only complaint is that I haven't thought of MORE ways to use it! :v:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

UK Retailer complaining of ASUS tablet quality issues:
http://www.reghardware.com/2012/02/02/uk_retailer_clove_refuses_to_sell_asus_transformer_prime/

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Am I missing something obvious about using a USB extension cable with my Transformer? It doesn't seem to charge with one in line between the wall wart and the cable that comes with it.

Yeah, I realize I'm the crazy one for needing more than a 3 whole inches or whatever of cable length :rolleyes:

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

the yeti posted:

Am I missing something obvious about using a USB extension cable with my Transformer? It doesn't seem to charge with one in line between the wall wart and the cable that comes with it.

Yeah, I realize I'm the crazy one for needing more than a 3 whole inches or whatever of cable length :rolleyes:

The cable is short because of the power draw. 2 amps at 12 volts is exceptionally high for a tablet charger. Over twice the power draw of an iPad charger.

I've read elsewhere about USB extensions being problematic. Get an AC extension cord to gain the 4+ inches you require.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

the yeti posted:

Are you using a 3.0 cable

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Codiusprime posted:

Woot has the Toshiba Thrive 10.1 on sale today for 279. I was going to jump on it then I remembered it was a Thrive.

What's your beef with the Thrive? I love ours.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

sharkytm posted:

What's your beef with the Thrive? I love ours.
The hardware is thick and heavy. The software is mangled almost beyond recognition. The main selling points (flash, lots of ports, removable battery) are objectively bad. The Verge review goes into more detail, if anyone cares.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Scaramouche posted:

UK Retailer complaining of ASUS tablet quality issues:
http://www.reghardware.com/2012/02/02/uk_retailer_clove_refuses_to_sell_asus_transformer_prime/

Great. Mine arrives tomorrow from Amazon. I've read about people sperging about wifi issues...is that it? I know every negative review on Newegg has a response from Asus support (which curiously points to an XDA thread for help) saying they are working on a fix (plastic back?).

Now, on your link, Asus seemingly angrily "refutes any and all claims from third-parties regarding the quality of our products."

So, they admit there is an issue on Newegg, but make this bold statement? Also, when people bitch about the GPS, Asus' reply is "sorry, it's not a professional GPS unit so expect it to be half-baked."

Having just dropped $500 on this thing, I'm both confused and concerned, all at the same time.

Did I make a mistake buying this thing? Will wifi even be usable in hotels (I travel a lot) where the signal isn't like the router is sitting in the room with you (i.e. hotel wifi is usually weak)?

Edit: here is where Asus support sends you for help on this "non-issue" issue...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1443868

Let's get it together Asus. What's the deal with this thing?

Edit2: submitted to Engadget. I'm spergin' in advance of even receiving one! Asusgate?

Last edit: So, an Asus employee, Gary Key, is "traveling to Taiwan from Jan 27 to Feb 4 to work on Transformer Prime problems with our engineering group."

http://forum.xda-developers.com/member.php?u=4025695

What are these "issues" :airquote: you speak of, Clove? -Asus Management

:suspense:

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 3, 2012

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
As embarrassing as Asus has been, it sounds like if you don't care about GPS and have some luck (no craters in the case, no light bleeding), the actual unit you get can be good. Ringing endorsement, I know. There doesn't seem to be a consensus in here so far as to whether wifi is bad enough to be an issue.

Edit: Haha, I checked the link. REEEEAALLLY? Official support thread on xda? Sounds like the wifi issues are more serious than I thought. If you have a no-questions-asked return window, you should really test the thing thoroughly before deciding to keep it. Hit up all the cheap motels near you!

Ciabatta fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 3, 2012

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Several of us are happy Prime owners. Two of us (not me though) needed to return their first one.

Test it thoroughly, if you got one without the issues I think you will like it a lot (unless you want to use GPS).

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I'm looking for a decent 7" tablet and fully intend to root that fucker, any good advice at where to look and which have a really good root community behind it?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

hotsauce posted:

Great. Mine arrives tomorrow from Amazon. I've read about people sperging about wifi issues...is that it? I know every negative review on Newegg has a response from Asus support (which curiously points to an XDA thread for help) saying they are working on a fix (plastic back?).

Now, on your link, Asus seemingly angrily "refutes any and all claims from third-parties regarding the quality of our products."

So, they admit there is an issue on Newegg, but make this bold statement? Also, when people bitch about the GPS, Asus' reply is "sorry, it's not a professional GPS unit so expect it to be half-baked."

Having just dropped $500 on this thing, I'm both confused and concerned, all at the same time.

Did I make a mistake buying this thing? Will wifi even be usable in hotels (I travel a lot) where the signal isn't like the router is sitting in the room with you (i.e. hotel wifi is usually weak)?

Edit: here is where Asus support sends you for help on this "non-issue" issue...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1443868

Let's get it together Asus. What's the deal with this thing?

Edit2: submitted to Engadget. I'm spergin' in advance of even receiving one! Asusgate?

Gps is so bad they actually removed it from the spec sheet after they started selling them.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

TontoCorazon posted:

I'm looking for a decent 7" tablet and fully intend to root that fucker, any good advice at where to look and which have a really good root community behind it?
Depends what you're going to use it for. General web browsing, reading and other random light processor apps, the Kindle Fire would be great and has a huge XDA community for rooting. If you're looking for something with some more features and a bit more power, probably on of the two 7 inch Samsung Galaxy Tabs.

Also if you can wait (like 6 months), the Q2/Q3 Asus 7 inch Tegra 3 1200X800 tablet for $250 would be awesome.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

McLarenF1 posted:

Depends what you're going to use it for. General web browsing, reading and other random light processor apps, the Kindle Fire would be great and has a huge XDA community for rooting. If you're looking for something with some more features and a bit more power, probably on of the two 7 inch Samsung Galaxy Tabs.

Also if you can wait (like 6 months), the Q2/Q3 Asus 7 inch Tegra 3 1200X800 tablet for $250 would be awesome.

Very nice thank you very much.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Rastor posted:

Several of us are happy Prime owners. Two of us (not me though) needed to return their first one.

Test it thoroughly, if you got one without the issues I think you will like it a lot (unless you want to use GPS).

I just got mine, can you list what sort of tests I should do?

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

I bought a hp touchpad off woot last week for 220$ and it still hasn't shipped. Im considering cancelling it and ordering something else in a similar price range. Can I do any better for that price or am I better off just holding on and waiting for this thing to ship?

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Kindle Fire, or maybe a 7" used on Craigslist or something?

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

blackflare posted:

I bought a hp touchpad off woot last week for 220$ and it still hasn't shipped. Im considering cancelling it and ordering something else in a similar price range. Can I do any better for that price or am I better off just holding on and waiting for this thing to ship?

Probably not. For that price, it's really hard to get the same hardware. I did recently flash my HP Touchpad and got ICS on it and the thing is lightning fast. Definitely worth however much you spend on a touchpad.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

Alright thanks, thats kind of what I figured, but I thought I would at least double check :)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Does any tablet (or phone for that matter) have a decent wifi radio?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

dissss posted:

The vast majority are decent, but they are limited by the size of the device and the limitations that imposes on the length of the antenna, its placement within the device and lower power consumption goals. These considerations aren't really present in laptops.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Hughlander posted:

The three most common complaints are light bleed around the edges of the screen, poor Wifi reception, and crashes/reboots.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Hughlander posted:

Download the ScreenTest app from the market to check for dead pixels and light bleed.
Get Wifi Analyzer to test wifi signal strength all over your house/apartment to make sure it gets good signal.
There are a couple apps to test GPS also. I used GPS test, but don't expect GPS to work on this tablet.

There are also reports of a screens tinted yellow (not as many of those anymore)
Oh, and make sure the unit feels solid. Some people talked about having creaking screens.

That's pretty much it. The major offenders are light bleed, poor wifi, and dead pixels.

Edit: ^^^ oh yeah, reboots after updating to ICS too.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

dissss posted:

Yeah, most of them

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
There's been a lot of speculation about one ASUS mystery product.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Vagrancy posted:

8 cores, 4 gigs of ram and a 4K screen.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Vagrancy posted:

Welp looks like Amazon is getting a return on my TF201 that just arrived.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Vagrancy posted:

Is it a pad? or is it a phone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
No joke, there are going to be like 14 different Transformer variants by Q4.