Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

So to repeat a question I asked a little while ago: what's the best source of information on upcoming tablets? I'm interested in getting something similar to the Thinkpad tablet but it seems to me like it's liable to be improved soon, and since I don't have a pressing need for it right now and the current generation has some kinks in it I'd like to wait and see if the next gen works any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today
I NEVER would have thought that GPS on a wifi only tablet was such a loving big priority for people that they are literally destroying their $500 devices to possibly get to work.

What the gently caress? If you need GPS on your wifi device, just buy something else. Not an iPad though. Apple also didn't think people would use GPS on their wifi model.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

ModestMuse posted:

I NEVER would have thought that GPS on a wifi only tablet was such a loving big priority for people that they are literally destroying their $500 devices to possibly get to work.

What the gently caress? If you need GPS on your wifi device, just buy something else. Not an iPad though. Apple also didn't think people would use GPS on their wifi model.

That poo poo is hilarious and janky looking. I actually want people to do that so if I see a piece of wire sticking out of their brand spanking new tablet I know not to interact with them, ever.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

ModestMuse posted:

Alot of people bought the device when it was advertised as having GPS. Asus advertised GPS when they first marketed the product.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

ModestMuse posted:

It was listed as a feature. Now instead of people getting angry at the company and demanding satisfaction, they are taking it up the poopshoot and trying to fix it by themselves, most likely voiding the warranty, and the company gets away with it.

Try that with another company like Apple - they would be bending over backwards right now with press conferences and free poo poo to at least calm people down.

But no, keep buying their products at full price and sitting on them, and stop asking us to speak poorly of them when this is a discussion forum based on what tablets are worth buying for people who potentially come in here for advice.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

It was listed as a feature. Now instead of people getting angry at the company and demanding satisfaction, they are taking it up the poopshoot and trying to fix it by themselves, most likely voiding the warranty, and the company gets away with it.

Try that with another company like Apple - they would be bending over backwards right now with press conferences and free poo poo to at least calm people down.

But no, keep buying their products at full price and sitting on them, and stop asking us to speak poorly of them when this is a discussion forum based on what tablets are worth buying for people who potentially come in here for advice.

I feel sorry for anyone who comes into this thread for advice.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Nope. Nevermind.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

It's bad that it happened, but it's not like buyers are forced to attempt these repairs. There are plenty of reports of people returning Primes due to non-working GPS and other problems. That doesn't excuse problems in the product, but it also doesn't make ASUS a lovely company for making a product that people would rather repair than return.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

evilweasel posted:

So to repeat a question I asked a little while ago: what's the best source of information on upcoming tablets? I'm interested in getting something similar to the Thinkpad tablet but it seems to me like it's liable to be improved soon, and since I don't have a pressing need for it right now and the current generation has some kinks in it I'd like to wait and see if the next gen works any better.
Anandtech maybe? They handle more of the technical side of upcoming SoCs and such, but your alternatives are places like Engadget and The Verge which can be tough to keep up with. Most of the dedicated Android/tablet sites are garbage.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

evilweasel posted:

Here's all the research you need:

BUY AN IPAD3

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey

eric posted:

BUY AN IPAD3

Remember guys, he's not trolling, just spreading the truth throughout Android land.

ThriceBakedPotato
Oct 25, 2010

by T. Butt
ASUS has some weird loyalty thing and certain expectations from geeks.

I don't entirely get it. They do some things very well. The original EEE started the netbook thing which turned into a fight to the bottom, unfortunately. I sort of wish netbooks were still defined as 7-10 inch fanless SSD linux computers with ULV processors and not lovely ultrabooks.

They make some good WiFi routers that have AWFUL firmware that can easily be flashed over to the popular open-source ones, which is the only reason people buy them. That's a very limited target demographic.

They have great desktop components, but building desktops is about as exciting as playing with buggy Legos in 2012. None of the complexity, all of the instability.

While I'm here, can I ask for a recommendation for some minimal tablets to run nothing but Remote Desktop at 1024x768 or better? For salespeople to float around a store with, so smaller is better. I realize they'll probably be widescreen so 1280x800 is good, but ????x600 is not.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

ThriceBakedPotato posted:

ASUS has some weird loyalty thing and certain expectations from geeks.

I think, for the Prime at least, it's due to the fact that the tablet is so amazing otherwise. Hell, that's why I'm so torn on whether I should return mine or not. If it were just an OK tablet then I would return it in a heartbeat and find something better, but no other Android tablet comes close to the design/performance (wifi/gps notwithstanding) of the thing.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

eric posted:

BUY AN IPAD3

Really low effort, pretty embarrassing honestly.

The Angry Spaniard
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Postin' from my Prime. What is a good app to try and test WiFi performance? Everything else seems to be working flawlessly and 4.0 installed, barely using batery in the process.

ThriceBakedPotato
Oct 25, 2010

by T. Butt

evilweasel posted:

Don't get caught in that feedback loop, man. Either buy what is at the bleeding edge today when you have cash on hand, or buy something 2 generations old for 10% of what the other rear end in a top hat paid.

Either way, you get to feel awesome and superior.

Thinking about what you might perhaps wanna buy maybe in a few months goes nowhere.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Don't get caught in that feedback loop, man. Either buy what is at the bleeding edge today when you have cash on hand, or buy something 2 generations old for 10% of what the other rear end in a top hat paid.

Either way, you get to feel awesome and superior.

Thinking about what you might perhaps wanna buy maybe in a few months goes nowhere.
I have a fire for having a cheap tablet, I want something that's actually good to do work on. The thinkpad one seems pretty good for what I need for a work tablet, except the keyboard lag would be a bitch to deal with.

Plus this is how I refrain from buying toys that just pop into my head, doing research on them.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

I have a fire for having a cheap tablet, I want something that's actually good to do work on. The thinkpad one seems pretty good for what I need for a work tablet, except the keyboard lag would be a bitch to deal with.

Plus this is how I refrain from buying toys that just pop into my head, doing research on them.

Doing research is great.

Honesty, I would argue if you want to do real work, and especially anything based on office or any kind of coding, I don't think tablets are anywhere near replacing PCs. Honestly they are not made for that purchase (they are made for consuming!). My transformer can do basic work stuff, and the email clients are solid, but if I want to do nothing beyond typing a paragraph I reach for my laptop.

Tablets are a lot of fun, but they are definitely expensive (though useful) toys.

I think it is certainly arguable that many people don't need anything more than basic work functions, but I think my point still stands: if you want to get stuff done, a laptop is still the best and most productive way to go.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

Don Lapre posted:

They removed GPS off the spec sheet, they all have the same problems

This is a possible fix though

:lol::lol:

You have to be a special kind of person to open up a tablet and attach a wire like this instead of just returning the drat thing.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

My Linux Rig posted:

I feel sorry for anyone who comes into this thread for advice.

Why? People that bought the device are enjoying using it.

rastor posted:

Hey just postin' from my ASUS Transformer Prime. It's thinner and lighter than an iPad 2 while having a higher-resolution screen and costing less. It worked great out of the box and was easy to set up. Within minutes the Android apps I had already purchased, and my email, calendar, and contacts, were all synced and ready to use. My apps automatically adapted to the tablet form factor, without ugly blurry zooming or the need to purchase special tablet versions. I did not root or modify it in any way, nor did I read anything on XDA.

fondue posted:

Sup fellow ASUS Transformer Prime owner!

I had the identical experience; it just worked right out of the box, wow! Within a couple of weeks there was an over the air update that changed the user interface a bit ... so now it's even better! In fact, I swear it nearly doubled the battery life as well.

c-euro posted:

yeah, I got a Transformer for Christmas and it rocks. If my job didn't require so much data analysis/workup that can only be done on a Windows machine I'd probably stop bringing my laptop into work and just use that. Perfect size (for me), great battery, more than enough horsepower for everything I want to do. My only complaint is that I haven't thought of MORE ways to use it!

SlayVus posted:

Just got my keyboard dock in from Newegg and man, is it a beauty.

zimbomonkey posted:

Just chiming in as one of the aforementioned happy Prime owners. Maybe happy isn't the word. Ecstatic might be a better choice. It's by far the smoothest running tablet I've ever played with, and the battery is stronger too.

koshmar posted:

So I just got my Prime and I'm enjoying it so far.

Postin' from my Prime. What is a good app to try and test WiFi performance? Everything else seems to be working flawlessly and 4.0 installed, barely using batery in the process.

Now let's look at contributions from a differing point of view;

eric posted:

:lol: at any tablets being competitors to the iPad.

eric posted:

Tell her to wait for the iPad3; it will be the biggest jump in tablet technology.

eric posted:

BUY AN IPAD3

"eric" posted:

iPad3 should be out in March. Quad core processor, retina display, LTE.

Seems like anyone not using what you're using makes you guys mad. Sorry you're so angry not everything is apple??

Maybe eric should take his own advice

eric posted:

If it upsets you so much perhaps you should get out?
..and never come back, thanks.

Solid Snake
Sep 7, 2011

eric posted:

BUY AN IPAD3

I've been in the market for a tablet for a bit and when I come into this thread and other places it's always full of stupid bickering and broken hardware. You know what, this is exactly what I'm going to do. Thanks.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

Doing research is great.

Honesty, I would argue if you want to do real work, and especially anything based on office or any kind of coding, I don't think tablets are anywhere near replacing PCs. Honestly they are not made for that purchase (they are made for consuming!). My transformer can do basic work stuff, and the email clients are solid, but if I want to do nothing beyond typing a paragraph I reach for my laptop.

Tablets are a lot of fun, but they are definitely expensive (though useful) toys.

I think it is certainly arguable that many people don't need anything more than basic work functions, but I think my point still stands: if you want to get stuff done, a laptop is still the best and most productive way to go.

Basically, I want it because I frequently do doc review as a lawyer: which is scrolling through tons of documents and flagging the relevant ones. This, as you might guess, sucks. It's also ideally suited to doing on a tablet at home or anywhere besides the office - swish, swish, ooh flag that one, swish, swish, swish, etc. Since the Thinkpad appears to deal well with Citrix, has a pen, and I can get a data plan for it, it seems fairly ideal for this particular circumstance - however, I'd also like to be able to do basic other work on it if necessary. I'd get a keyboard for it as well.

I do get the impression though that the current models just aren't up to the task though, as you suggest, but my current laptop isn't really either. So I'm sort of mulling over if I want to see if I could make a tablet work, or if I need a new laptop. I don't think the current tablet model is really up to the task, so I'm interested in seeing if the next-gen is, or if I should just get a new laptop.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Hi, it's one of those Prime owners that is happy with their tablet. You don't see us post here often because we're not looking for solutions to problems we don't have or bitching about issues we don't have.

I wish there was some way of knowing how many hosed-up Prime tablets there are. I mean, how much noise is coming from dissatisfied owners? How many were returned? Maybe a few years down the road some disgruntled ASUS employee will release numbers.

In the meantime if anyone is wondering if they're worth the price, I would say yes. I would recommend them (and have recommended them) to people looking for a tablet. Get one with problems? Return it.

What's it like? Prior to the ICS update it was fast and responsive, although the UI was a bit wonky. Now with ICS it's not at all wonky and pretty intuitive to navigate and use. The external speaker is ... mono. The headphone plugin speaker is fantastic! Easily the best audio I've had from a portable device.

I've had no problems finding every app I want for it. I'm told some are scaling up and I've seen the Skype screenshot (which is pretty hilarious) but nothing I use looks like that. My kids use the Prime as much as I do. They play games on it and use the camera a lot (in particular the Paper Camera app). The battery lasts about two days of our use. I've read you can get eight or ten hours of life watching videos on it. I've yet to actually transfer any movie over and watch it - we just watch Netflix.

I also have the keyboard dock. It's a perfect match for the tablet (of course) and for me its battery extends the use of the tablet about a day. I wish the keys were larger, I have to type slower on it than with my desktop keyboard, but then we're comparing a desktop keyboard to a netbook keyboard really. I don't like the touchpad. I understand why they put it there but I still don't like it. My netbook had a touchpad and I disabled it within minutes of unboxing it.

The power cable doesn't seem short to me. I've had my Prime charging next to my computer, the power running to the power strip. I've since moved it to my dresser so I have more desk space. It takes about two and a half to three hours to charge fully. I've not tried to charge it through the USB because I've read that it's slow and I'm not a masochist. I've used the USB cable to transfer music to the Prime. I've read that it uses a special protocol to do this and I've read a lot of complaints about it ... but in my experience I just plugged the Prime into my desktop computer via the USB cable and it "just worked". No loving around with anything.

Transfer was slow ... maybe because I don't have a USB 2.0 port? I ended up using the micro sd card to do it. I've just left the card in the tablet. I've read others complaining about how much it sticks out, etc,... I've not had a problem. I guess my tablet protector is thick enough that the card never gets bumped.

So, overall I'm very satisfied and don't regret my purchase. I would recommend an Android tablet (the Prime in particular) to any of my family or friends. Every update to the tablet so far has made it faster and easier to use. This is in direct contrast to my Apple experience on upgrades where every iOS update slowed my phone down and made it more difficult to use.

Will I ever buy an iPad? Sure! My wife has the latest iPhone and can't leave her apps. I'm assuming she can just do what I did with my tablet and download all of the apps I paid for on my phone.

[edit] Oh, I bought a stylus for my tablet so I could draw. It's not that great ... but then the Atmel maXStylus is coming out and supposedly will have excellent resolution and quality. If it's compatible with the Prime I'll definitely get one.

fondue fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 8, 2012

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

zer0spunk posted:

Why? People that bought the device are enjoying using it.

All seven of them. Awesome!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

graph posted:

That's the best you can do? I can go back to the other 2 tablet threads and add more, but you'd just miss the point yet again

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
okay :)

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

Seems like anyone not using what you're using makes you guys mad. Sorry you're so angry not everything is apple??

Everyone was doing fine and then you had to fall for this poo poo. He's just trying to get people like you riled up, goddamn. Don't get this thread locked again.

This thread has been helpful to me, and is the reason I don't have a Prime right now. It's loving broken and I'm going to wait and see if their next offering is any better.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

graph posted:

Can we just agree that buying the prime is a crapshoot? it has great hardware with some bugs, so it's a possibly great tablet but buy one at your own risk, and just shut the gently caress up about it? Seriously, everyone keeps saying the same poo poo over and over.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Solid Snake posted:

I've been in the market for a tablet for a bit and when I come into this thread and other places it's always full of stupid bickering and broken hardware. You know what, this is exactly what I'm going to do. Thanks.

You gotta buy what's going to work for you. Be it Android, iOS, or WebOS. For what seems now like the better part of most of this thread life, it's been poo poo up with YOSPOS apple trolls telling everyone exactly why Android is poo poo and ipad/apple/iwhatever will generally do everything better.

If you can slosh through most of their poo poo posting, you will find a lot of posters quite happy with their purchase and of course there are those that aren't. That's fine, but every other day or so there seems to be a drag the thread in the mud period.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Duckman2008 posted:

Can we just agree that buying the prime is a crapshoot? it has great hardware with some bugs, so it's a possibly great tablet but buy one at your own risk, and just shut the gently caress up about it? Seriously, everyone keeps saying the same poo poo over and over.

But... heh... the GPS... they removed it from the specs... heh

ThriceBakedPotato
Oct 25, 2010

by T. Butt

evilweasel posted:

Perfectly reasonable. If I ever figure out how to really work from mine outside of crappier versions of google apps and RDP, I'll be a happy camper.

And really, if remote desktop is responsive and the feel is good, I can just do everything in the world that way. The only remaining question is why I wouldn't just use a laptop for that.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Everyone was doing fine and then you had to fall for this poo poo. He's just trying to get people like you riled up, goddamn. Don't get this thread locked again.

This thread has been helpful to me, and is the reason I don't have a Prime right now. It's loving broken and I'm going to wait and see if their next offering is any better.

I'm not riled up at all. I have the device in question and I really dig it. So do a bunch of other people, just pointing that out. Not sure how you get anger from fact posting?

I mean, rawrrr, angry, tablet smash, something something.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Hey, wrap that in a towel first! Lol.

Anyways, let's just move on from the bickering; if any tabbers have any problems with their units state them and we will try to find solutions and make you a little happier with your purchase :)

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

fondue posted:

Transfer was slow ... maybe because I don't have a USB 2.0 port? I ended up using the micro sd card to do it. I've just left the card in the tablet. I've read others complaining about how much it sticks out, etc,... I've not had a problem. I guess my tablet protector is thick enough that the card never gets bumped.

Your computer most certainly has a USB 2.0 port, the standard came out over a decade ago. What kind of speeds were you seeing?

Jonny 290 posted:

If any tabbers have any problems with their units state them and we will try to find solutions and make you a little happier with your purchase :)

Solutions meaning paying you $100 to crack open their still-under-warranty tablet and slather some solder in it?

Since we're finding out about these loose connections/pogo sticks/whatever in the Prime, does that mean the metal back only plays a small part in the poor GPS/WiFi reception, or was that a red herring?

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey

graph posted:

Remember, not trolling, just truth telling.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Your computer most certainly has a USB 2.0 port, the standard came out over a decade ago. What kind of speeds were you seeing?

Solutions meaning paying you $100 to crack open their still-under-warranty tablet and slather some solder in it?

Since we're finding out about these loose connections/pogo sticks/whatever in the Prime, does that mean the metal back only plays a small part in the poor GPS/WiFi reception, or was that a red herring?

I'm already offering the service to all IYGers for free.

I really would prefer Midsouth ones just for shipping rapidity, but hell, if Jersey goons want to send me their Prime, I guess I'm okay with that.

Any issues with metal back and the bad pogo pins are all additive. The bad pin connection will drop the signal a certain number of dB, the metal back some more.

Also, I'm slightly above the 'slathering' tier on the soldering tree, but I'm sure that was just a matter of verbage. :) You just need the right gear to work on stuff of this scale (and no coffee for the 24 hours previous).

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

cbubbles
Mar 15, 2007

I'm soooo into you

I think this is a bit much isn't it? From what I read, the prime does have it's issues. Yea, it's embarrassing that GPS is designed not to work, and that you might have wifi, piting, screen bleed, dead pixels. But the only one you're very likely to hit is GPS, the others are issues you might run into.

It sounds like there are plenty of prime owners who are very happy with their tablets, some even in spite of the issues like backlight bleed or piting.

I am still surprised GPS is that big of a deal to so many people. Not knocking anyone wanting to use it, I just didn't imagine it would be a deal-breaker for people. I guess I was thinking of the Evo3d where 3d sucks on the phone - and is one of the main advertised points. But despite that, it still was at the time one of the, if not the best, phones you could buy (for sprint). The rest of the specs made it worthwhile. I figured GPS would be like that, but I guess for some people, that's not the case. Not saying they're wrong, just mostly I didn't expect GPS to matter.

If it isn't worth your time and hassel to try to deal with the real possibility of getting a unit that is not 100% perfect, that's a totally reasonable and understandable point. Still, I don't think this thing if totally broken, it sounds like you might hit some snags, but if you don't and get a good unit you'll have an amazing tablet. And it sounds like it's still the best choice for android.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

In an effort to cut down on the constant Prime criticism, I have made some additions to the OP. You will find a new "should I buy an Android tablet?" section as well. Don't take it personally, I'd advise iPad 2 customers not to buy one right now either. Please take a moment to review the revised OP, and feel free to PM me any contributions you'd like to add. I'll open the thread back up in a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Things that happened while the thread was locked:

My Transformer Prime received a new OTA update. Too bad about the QA issues (especially with early production runs?) because ASUS has really been supporting this thing software-wise.

The Phoenix Suns will be using Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1s on the basketball court.