Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Optimus Subprime posted:

... not having the expandable micro sd slot hurts it pretty hard in my eyes.

Apple is never going offer expandable storage, why is Google leaving it off Nexus devices? Is it difficult to implement? Is it considered obsolete technology?

I personally like having a SD card, especially on a wifi-only device. I'm not always going to have a signal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

GoodBee posted:

Is it difficult to implement?

Yes.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mogomra posted:

I would buy one to match my oven. It's what every kitchen needs!
I would love a picture of your Avocado oven--I loving love Avocado and Harvest Gold. I grew up in a Harvest Gold household but Avocado, Poppy Red, and Coppertone all owned bones.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

GoodBee posted:

Apple is never going offer expandable storage, why is Google leaving it off Nexus devices? Is it difficult to implement? Is it considered obsolete technology?

I personally like having a SD card, especially on a wifi-only device. I'm not always going to have a signal.

Because it's outside of the walled in environment of android. With baked in flash storage, you always know how much space the phone has and you can control the permissions and file structure and what not. If you add in an SD card, you never know what is going to be on it. Does the device support that much storage space? What file system does it use? Does the OS have write permissions? Even figuring out how to make all that work still leaves consumers annoyed that it didn't work perfectly.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

If you add in an SD card, you never know what is going to be on it.
You say that like Android doesn't support SD cards at all, but it does, and there's devices that ship with SD slots.

The crux of it is simple: most people don't need expandable storage except when installing a bunch of media locally to the device. But with Google pushing cloud storage and the popularity of streaming services, most people simply don't need expandable storage at all.

There's also usability concerns which come up from time-to-time on devices that do have SD slots. The issues are real, not insurmountable, but Google doesn't feel that providing expandable storage is consistent with the purpose of the Nexus line and thus, it's not there.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Is the n9 keyboard accessory up for preorder anywhere?

revolther
May 27, 2008
SD cards do end up impacting the user experience, apps start storing poo poo in places it doesn't go, novices lose their pictures/data not knowing what all to back up, the biggest cheapest SD card available fails, the whole OS gets labeled as broken, confusing, hard.

It's not even Google pushing cloud storage really. You can take their 20gigs free as many times as you want and have all those accounts available on one device under one profile, and only syncing certain(or no) aspects of each.

A micro-usb adapter and and flash storage are so cheap, if one really needed to carry around massive chunks of data(maps for no signal maybe), you could spend 2 dollars to have it all accessible from USB or copy what you need and delete it when you don't.

It's a question of why should everyone else suffer increased costs and unreliable performance to benefit the few lazy.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The crux of it is simple: most people don't need expandable storage except when installing a bunch of media locally to the device. But with Google pushing cloud storage and the popularity of streaming services, most people simply don't need expandable storage at all.

This is really laughable. Everyone who install apps, games, takes photos or videos and uses music services that cache stuff locally needs a ton of storage.

Not to mention that battery life is poor enough without having to run an LTE radio constantly to watch a video or listen to music. Everything synced to the cloud takes a toll on battery life.

I can't watch any video or listen to any music via the cloud if I travel around Europe (no inflight WiFi + region restrictions). The BBC lets me sync TV shows locally to avoid this problem, as do music services. 32GB is nothing for a tablet, an amount of storage I already started planning to work around. It's not enough for apps , music and podcasts on my phone, let alone a tablet where I want the same + films/tv.

There is no technical hurdle to overcome, and I'm willing to pay the price difference or deal with the slight hassle of an SD card. Google give me no option.

I would've bought an N9 if it had more storage, as it is I'm tempted to get an iPad.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
I was all excited to replace my gnex with an n6 which would make my n7 redundant and then I'd get an n9 too, but the 9 + keyboard costs as much as a laptop, and aside from the screen it doesn't really look that great, and I already have an awesome laptop... :sigh:

What's the next flagship >8" tablet to land? I could go for an updated Shield or something too.

revolther posted:

It's a question of why should everyone else suffer increased costs and unreliable performance to benefit the few lazy.
Then put 128gb on the loving thing at $50 or whatever the legitimate cost is.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

revolther posted:

A micro-usb adapter and flash storage are so cheap, if one really needed to carry around massive chunks of data(maps for no signal maybe), you could spend 2 dollars to have it all accessible from USB or copy what you need and delete it when you don't.

Hmm, perhaps Google could spend the 2 dollars and build it in to the tablet, in addition to the meagre built in storage? When you're selling elegant all in one tablet computers, having to hang an adapter off it to watch videos is not really competitive.

revolther posted:

How does it increase costs for anyone else to sell me a tablet with an acceptable amount of storage? Apple don't have a problem with this, and the tablets are about the same price.

If loving apple are offering more options than you it's drat sure that you're not being reasonable.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

wooger posted:

This is really laughable. Everyone who install apps, games, takes photos or videos and uses music services that cache stuff locally needs a ton of storage.

Not to mention that battery life is poor enough without having to run an LTE radio constantly to watch a video or listen to music. Everything synced to the cloud takes a toll on battery life.

I can't watch any video or listen to any music via the cloud if I travel around Europe (no inflight WiFi + region restrictions). The BBC lets me sync TV shows locally to avoid this problem, as do music services. 32GB is nothing for a tablet, an amount of storage I already started planning to work around. It's not enough for apps , music and podcasts on my phone, let alone a tablet where I want the same + films/tv.

There is no technical hurdle to overcome, and I'm willing to pay the price difference or deal with the slight hassle of an SD card. Google give me no option.

I would've bought an N9 if it had more storage, as it is I'm tempted to get an iPad.

Your personal experience doesn't rebut the observation that most people don't need removable storage.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

wooger posted:

But google does give you an option. There's plenty of android tablets that support microsd cards. Also they all support a USB stick and otg dongle. If you are traveling to Europe you aren't just bringing a tablet anyways. And why are you so concerned about meeting to bring your huge media library while on an international vacation? Enjoy the country. Pirated Naruto episodes can wait.

Then you mention an iPad since it offers more storage. They dont support sdcards either. And you could buy three 32 GB nexus 7s for the price of 64gb iPad.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

If you are traveling to Europe you aren't just bringing a tablet anyways.

It sure would be nice to have that option!

quote:

And you could buy three 32 GB nexus 7s for the price of 64gb iPad.

Not from Google you can't. They don't want people to have a reasonably-priced option over the N9.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

But google does give you an option. There's plenty of android tablets that support microsd cards. Also they all support a USB stick and otg dongle. If you are traveling to Europe you aren't just bringing a tablet anyways. And why are you so concerned about meeting to bring your huge media library while on an international vacation? Enjoy the country. Pirated Naruto episodes can wait.

Then you mention an iPad since it offers more storage. They dont support sdcards either. And you could buy three 32 GB nexus 7s for the price of 64gb iPad.

Mainly during the flights really, but its nice to take all your music and some videos with you when travelling.

There are no non-Nexus tablets I'd consider, they're all ruined by dodgy software, hardware or both. I've tried all current Samsung and Sony tablets.

It's true that a new 64GB iPad is as expensive as 3 N7s, but I'd prefer one tablet with a larger screen and enough storage than carrying 3.

I'm really not attached to SD cards, I just want enough storage to not have to micromanage, ever. I run out on my 32GB N5 as it is.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Let's not rehash this SD card thing again.

Everytime a new Nexus device comes out, folks have to point out it doesn't have a SD slot, which is true. But it's been this way on every Nexus device since 2010 (Nexus S). It's unsurprising that after four years Google's position hasn't changed. If it's that big of a deal, get a GPE device.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled if they did include SD slots, but they don't. Clearly Google's position is that the slots aren't necessary on Nexus devices.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 19, 2014

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

wooger posted:

There are no non-Nexus tablets I'd consider, they're all ruined by dodgy software, hardware or both. I've tried all current Samsung and Sony tablets.
LG G Pad GPE?

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 19, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

revolther posted:

A micro-usb adapter and and flash storage are so cheap, if one really needed to carry around massive chunks of data(maps for no signal maybe), you could spend 2 dollars to have it all accessible from USB or copy what you need and delete it when you don't.

That's stupid as hell because it's a big ol' thing sticking out of a fragile port. At least a slot onboard doesn't pose very real risks of disabling any ability to charge.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's not that fragile. My Nexus 7 has taken its fair share of tumbles while plugged into the charger. I've bent two USB cables and the thing still charges on like a champ with no looseness in the port.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

This and all GPE devices are US only, I'm in the UK. Also I'd ideally buy a 10 inch + tablet, the N9 is only just in consideration.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
It finally happened. RIP 2012 nexus 7, killed by the ever notorious charging issue :smith:

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
I'm about to purchase my first tablet (Nexus 9) and I'm wondering if I get any added benefit in buying it off of the Play store rather than Amazon or the other websites? Only reason I'm asking is I have Amazon Prime and I could save myself a few dollars.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

horchata posted:

I'm about to purchase my first tablet (Nexus 9) and I'm wondering if I get any added benefit in buying it off of the Play store rather than Amazon or the other websites? Only reason I'm asking is I have Amazon Prime and I could save myself a few dollars.

The Play Store support is amazing. However, with it you pay more for shipping. Amazon has very good support too, though, so it's probably a wash.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Let's not rehash this SD card thing again.

Sorry. Just legit curious. Apple never had expandable storage on any iPod, iPhone or iPad I've ever heard of and every Android device I've ever had does.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

wooger posted:

This and all GPE devices are US only, I'm in the UK. Also I'd ideally buy a 10 inch + tablet, the N9 is only just in consideration.

"Google is loving it up for everybody! ...Who has my specific needs, and lives in my specific region of the world..."

You just explained how everybody needs an SD slot, then when provided with options that have an SD slot, found something wrong with them that immediately disqualified them, then when somebody provided an alternative to an alternative, it turns out the alternate-alternative isn't available on the island that you live on.
If you're going to get fired from your job because you can't watch as many movies and music as you'd like at once on an airplane or whatever, you could even just flash/root one of the non-GPE tablets with an SD slot to have the GPE.

The problem here is not Google making a poor decision, and people really need to stop equating "I want" with "Everybody needs" or "It's ridiculous that" when talking about their toys. That poo poo is super obnoxious.
Also, I am super down with the beige.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Nexus 7 supports OTG cables and I'm OK with this...have people forgotten about that? Actually, I wonder if the Nexus 9 will too.

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
As much as I want the Nexus 9, I don't have internet access too often so I need the ability to hoard as much media as I can with SD cards. Dell needs to hurry the gently caress up with a price and release date for the Venue 8 7000.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just buy an OTG cable and an external hard drive.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Just buy an OTG cable and an external hard drive.

Whenever I carry my Nexus 7, I just use an OTG cable and a 64gb usb stick. Hell, I even tried to use an USB HUB to plug in a xbox360 controller and an usb stick and both worked fine.
This poo poo costs 1$ right now on Amazon.com

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

wooger posted:

Hmm, perhaps Google could spend the 2 dollars and build it in to the tablet, in addition to the meagre built in storage? When you're selling elegant all in one tablet computers, having to hang an adapter off it to watch videos is not really competitive.

2 dollars and another 25 dollars to Microsoft for the privilege to use exFAT, NTFS and FAT32. Because everyone building a thing able to read these formats commercially has to pay the license fee. If you stick on the other hand with the internal ext4 storage you don't have to pay poo poo for a superior file system (compared to FAT/exFAT at least).

Decius fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 19, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Decius posted:

2 dollars and another 25 dollars to Microsoft for the privilege to use exFAT, NTFS and FAT32. Because everyone building a thing able to read these formats commercially has to pay the license fee. If you stick on the other hand with the internal ext4 storage you don't have to pay poo poo for a superior file system (compared to FAT/exFAT at least).

This is just bullshit. Your Nexus devices can already read a FAT16/FAT32 file system connected with one of those USB on the go adapters. Therefore, Google or the manufacturer of the device for Google must have already paid the licensing fees since they have the necessary drivers built in.

The people who make the little adapters don't have to pay the license fee because they literally just provide data and power lines.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Apologies if this has already been covered, but the thread is 300 pages long and I haven't spotted it.

I'm looking to mount a small tablet in my car to do nav and music and whatnot. It's a vintage car so I'm building my own center console from scratch, but mounting the tablet in a secure manner will most likely mean covering up the external power button. Is there any setting in Android which allows the user to wake up the device just with the touchscreen and no hardware buttons? This is pretty much going to be the deciding factor in whether or not I do it.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
Somebody on reddit did exactly that: http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/2jm097/i_installed_an_nexus_7_in_my_car_it_looks_awesome/

Might be helpful!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

McMadCow posted:

Apologies if this has already been covered, but the thread is 300 pages long and I haven't spotted it.

I'm looking to mount a small tablet in my car to do nav and music and whatnot. It's a vintage car so I'm building my own center console from scratch, but mounting the tablet in a secure manner will most likely mean covering up the external power button. Is there any setting in Android which allows the user to wake up the device just with the touchscreen and no hardware buttons? This is pretty much going to be the deciding factor in whether or not I do it.

Samsung tablets have a home button on the face like iPhone.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

^^^The only problem with the hardware home button is that the screen would be off-center in the console as a result. I'll check them out, though.

That does look promising. Seems like the Nexus 7 the guy used is able to be rooted and updated with a tap-to-wake function. That would fit my needs perfectly.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I've considered doing this but the thing that's given me pause is the idea of a li-ion battery exposed frequently to extreme temperatures while not being accessible or able to be inspected.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Nintendo Kid posted:

This is just bullshit. Your Nexus devices can already read a FAT16/FAT32 file system connected with one of those USB on the go adapters. Therefore, Google or the manufacturer of the device for Google must have already paid the licensing fees since they have the necessary drivers built in.

Only the Nexus 5 and then only FAT32. Everything else you need to use third-party tools/kernels that I guess simply ignore the patent. Manufacturers have to pay per device as far as the contracts with MS have become public, so of course they try to minimize the number of devices. Although in Germany a OLG (second highest instance) ruling already invalidated the FAT patent, so it might be a thing of the past in a few years time.

Decius fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 20, 2014

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

LastInLine posted:

I've considered doing this but the thing that's given me pause is the idea of a li-ion battery exposed frequently to extreme temperatures while not being accessible or able to be inspected.

Wonder if you could just get rid of the battery. He's already opened the guts to reposition the usb port so I don't see why removing the battery would be that much more of a stretch.

In other news, Amazon removed the release date from the Nexus 9 so now I have no idea if I'm going to be getting mine on the Week of Nov 3 since I changed delivery addresses. :(

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Best Buy still says:

Order Status:: 1 item(s) preordered, release date is 11/03/2014.

So maybe there's hope?

EDIT:

Also, Amazon has the HTC Magic Covers:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MO4T4VQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 20, 2014

helpy
Jan 1, 2008

McMadCow posted:

Is there any setting in Android which allows the user to wake up the device just with the touchscreen and no hardware buttons?

It is possible to install custom kernels to allow for sweep to wake / double tap to wake via the touchscreen. The only problem here is if your tablet sits for a length of time in the car and runs out of battery power, how do you turn it back on once the battery has a charge again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

helpy posted:

It is possible to install custom kernels to allow for sweep to wake / double tap to wake via the touchscreen. The only problem here is if your tablet sits for a length of time in the car and runs out of battery power, how do you turn it back on once the battery has a charge again?

Well it isn't going to run out of charge, because I'm wiring in a USB charger to my console harness. Anyway, I just bought an Acer Iconia One 7. As it sits in my design, the power button can be reached with a small screwdriver or the point of a pocket knife in case of emergency.