Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

db franco
Jul 14, 2014

ChiTownEddie posted:

Basically this.
That said, ohmygod I can't wait!!!!!!!!! haha I check tech sites multiple times a day to see if there is any new imformation!
:sotw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I pre-ordered the 9 simply because I'm tired as gently caress on waiting for stuff to be available after release. This phenomenon is getting worse and worse to the point where it's getting to be almost a full quarter after a product is released until there's general availability (which sucks in the tech world because then something else is on the radar.)

You still can't walk into a Best Buy and purchase a Moto 360. The new Kindle is backordered until December. There's example after example of this.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

I pre-ordered the 9 simply because I'm tired as gently caress on waiting for stuff to be available after release. This phenomenon is getting worse and worse to the point where it's getting to be almost a full quarter after a product is released until there's general availability (which sucks in the tech world because then something else is on the radar.)

You still can't walk into a Best Buy and purchase a Moto 360. The new Kindle is backordered until December. There's example after example of this.

Seriously, I pretty much pre-order everything I think I'll want, and if I get it and don't like it, I'll pop it up on SA-Mart or Ebay, or just return it. I've done pretty well, making some extra bucks on things I sell, or just returning it. I do want the N9, though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I mean, there's nothing actually wrong with it...but you could just wait. I mean just because they used the words "it's released" doesn't mean much if you can't actually buy it. It's really released when you can actually buy it.

Then you can read reviews and see reactions and not have to deal with doing returns or ebay or whatever.

I realize this is a gadget forum on the internet, but by continuing to pre-order stuff we're actually making it easier for companies to do this dance where they "release" something and then you can buy it in stores 6 months later.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thermopyle posted:

I realize this is a gadget forum on the internet, but by continuing to pre-order stuff we're actually making it easier for companies to do this dance where they "release" something and then you can buy it in stores 6 months later.

I get you are trying to be a moderate here, but the trend of limiting production runs to pre-orders so as not to have a ton of inventory is not going away any time soon. The N6 and N9 have a lag time of a few weeks from preorder to have in hand, the same went for the last N7 and N5. Either way, there's a ton of fools on Ebay or Craiglist that need to buy buy buy right away. I don't see any problem with getting the new shiny, and then testing it out and dumping it for an extra $100. I don't have any feelings of solidarity for Motorola, Google, Best Buy or Amazon where I need to feel like there's some moral conundrum in pre-ordering something I think I might want, and then doing an evaluation myself. It's not like reviews are totally objective (re: Verge calling the N9 heavy when compared to the iPad Air 2 when it's actually lighter) or are so laden with technobabble (like Arstechnica) where I find it hard to read a review and see how it'd relate to my tastes.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I get you are trying to be a moderate here,
Well it's right under his name.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I don't see any problem with getting the new shiny, and then testing it out and dumping it for an extra $100.

I question that making $100 is going to be what you average or can expect or that it is even going to be a positive amount, and I question that for most people if you do average a positive value that it's enough of a positive amount to cover your time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I really want to know if the N9 has a notification LED or haptic feedback. The later would be nice, but not terribly necessary, but I'm going to go nuts if this thing doesn't have a notification led.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
I think Google/HTC have built enough good will in the nexus line of tablets to warrant a pre-order. I've been meaning to get a tablet for media consumption on trains, buses, and planes. Nexus 7 just isn't big enough for 2 people to watch stuff on. You can always return the tablet if you don't like it, you have 30 days.

Anyone have an overlayed screen size comparison of the ipad vs n9? Sites always just do dimensions or side by side.

edit: Newegg also has pre-orders for the tablet and most states do not pay tax on Newegg orders.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

5436 posted:

Anyone have an overlayed screen size comparison of the ipad vs n9? Sites always just do dimensions or side by side.
http://www.displaywars.com/9,7-inch-4x3-vs-8,9-inch-4x3

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Android Central has another hands on. This time we get pictures side by side with a N7 to get a good size comparison.

http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-9-hands-and-first-impressions

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thermopyle posted:

I question that making $100 is going to be what you average or can expect or that it is even going to be a positive amount, and I question that for most people if you do average a positive value that it's enough of a positive amount to cover your time.

Eh, at work, I saw the Moto360 was available, went to bestbuy.com bought it in five minutes. It arrived a week later. I wore it for a few days, put it on SA-Mart, it sold for a few more bucks than I paid for it (i had a 10% coupon and a few giftcards so whatever), and I put it in a box, printed a shipping label from USPS.com and the mailman picked it up. Total time was about a half hour. I didn't make much on it (maybe $80, but I got to play with it for a week, instead of reading fifteen reviews, and wasting probably more time than it took to just buy and try it out.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

5436 posted:

I think Google/HTC have built enough good will in the nexus line of tablets to warrant a pre-order. I've been meaning to get a tablet for media consumption on trains, buses, and planes. Nexus 7 just isn't big enough for 2 people to watch stuff on. You can always return the tablet if you don't like it, you have 30 days.

edit: Newegg also has pre-orders for the tablet and most states do not pay tax on Newegg orders.

The front facing stereo speakers are a huge boon for bedroom TV watching.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Depends on how loud they are. The Nexus 10 has front facing speakers, but my old Droid HD MAXX could easily drown it out with a single rear facing one.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Seconding this, the front facing speakers became my favorite surprise feature I didn't know I wanted on my Z2 tablet.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Thanks, its not that much smaller which is nice.

Yea that was another big reason I wanted it, watching some netflix in bed before I sleep. Hopefully the magnetic case provides enough support in bed.

bull3964 posted:

Depends on how loud they are. The Nexus 10 has front facing speakers, but my old Droid HD MAXX could easily drown it out with a single rear facing one.

They'll probably be as loud or louder than HTC Boomsound speakers on the M8.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Hah, nice. http://www.displaywars.com/7-inch-16x10-vs-6-inch-16x9

The Nexus 7 has huge bezels compared to Nexus 6, but for actual screen size it gets pretty close. I had only looked at the full Nexus 7 to the full Nexus 6, so the 7 still looked quite a bit bigger.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Very close to the Nook HD+ which I've always liked as a nice compromise size wise:
http://www.displaywars.com/9-inch-3x2-vs-8,9-inch-4x3

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Anyone here replaced a Nexus 7 (2012) screen and digitizer? I looked at some how-tos and it didn't seem too bad. The local place wants $95 to do it but I can get the parts on Amazon or Ebay for right around 50 dollars. I've already cracked it open once to replace the microusb port.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

Anyone here replaced a Nexus 7 (2012) screen and digitizer? I looked at some how-tos and it didn't seem too bad. The local place wants $95 to do it but I can get the parts on Amazon or Ebay for right around 50 dollars. I've already cracked it open once to replace the microusb port.

Isn't really worth that much. What does a busted screen Nexus 7 2012 sell for on eBay? Might be a really cheap upgrade to just sell it and get a used 2013 for what, like $130? Less if you wait for a deal? E: Hmm, depending on storage size, might only get $20-40 for the busted screen 2012. Still, it's something to consider.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

I do think google will release an 8" device just to round off the nexus line. The nexus 6 is niche and a bigger 7 would be a great high to finish on. It also makes financial sense to release the top end device first.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Daimo posted:

I do think google will release an 8" device just to round off the nexus line. The nexus 6 is niche and a bigger 7 would be a great high to finish on. It also makes financial sense to release the top end device first.
It makes absolutely no sense to sell an eight inch device at the same time as a nine inch device. And the idea of "rounding off the Nexus line" makes no real sense when you consider that the Nexus 7 doesn't exist any more.

Also, don't expect any new Nexus device for a year.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

So is Qi charging intentionally left out of any tablet's design, save for the Nexus 7, for any particular reason besides a reluctance to ever get away from the micro-usb port everybody decided to standardize by?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Jeff Goldblum posted:

So is Qi charging intentionally left out of any tablet's design, save for the Nexus 7, for any particular reason besides a reluctance to ever get away from the micro-usb port everybody decided to standardize by?
I'm pretty sure it's left out so that you have to use a proprietary charger. Don't most tablets not use microUSB to charge?

Also, OEMs didn't "decide" to standardize on microUSB, they were compelled to by European regulations. If the EU hadn't done this, you'd still be enjoying $50 proprietary chargers and $30 proprietary sync cables like it was 1997.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jeff Goldblum posted:

The N7 takes a while to charge via Qi. I figure for tablets it's just not convenient yet so they omitted it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

LastInLine posted:

I'm pretty sure it's left out so that you have to use a proprietary charger. Don't most tablets not use microUSB to charge?

Also, OEMs didn't "decide" to standardize on microUSB, they were compelled to by European regulations. If the EU hadn't done this, you'd still be enjoying $50 proprietary chargers and $30 proprietary sync cables like it was 1997.

I think most tablets use microUSB by design. Samsung tablets (at least the S series and bellow), Sony Xperia and other popular ones use microUSB. I love that because I hate the days where even Nokia had two or three different charging ports and was an absolute hell to find someone with a charger that worked for your phone (not to say other brands like Eriksson, Mitsubishi, SHARP, etc...). Now is just about microUSB and dudes with bitten apple devices.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Guillermus posted:

I think most tablets use microUSB by design. Samsung tablets (at least the S series and bellow), Sony Xperia and other popular ones use microUSB. I love that because I hate the days where even Nokia had two or three different charging ports and was an absolute hell to find someone with a charger that worked for your phone (not to say other brands like Eriksson, Mitsubishi, SHARP, etc...). Now is just about microUSB and dudes with bitten apple devices.
Yes... they are designed to comply with European regulations. If not for the EU law, using a standard connector would not be a design consideration.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

As much as companies would try to earn with propietary chargers, wouldn't be more expensive to research/design them instead of just using a standard? In my opinion is a win-win scenario for both the consumers and them.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Guillermus posted:

As much as companies would try to earn with propietary chargers, wouldn't be more expensive to research/design them instead of just using a standard? In my opinion is a win-win scenario for both the consumers and them.

You're giving too much credit to the companies. Look at apple and their new mac mini. No change in form factor. But they decided to make the ram soldered rendering it impossible to upgrade. Also changed the hard drive slot to make it harder to upgrade hard drives too.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Guillermus posted:

As much as companies would try to earn with propietary chargers, wouldn't be more expensive to research/design them instead of just using a standard?

Do you really not remember like 10 years ago?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

My 2013 Nexus 7 is losing sensitivity toward one side of the screen and it clicks if I push down hard. Is this the typical screen lift issue that can be solved by opening it up and tightening screws?

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

Rastor posted:

Yes... they are designed to comply with European regulations. If not for the EU law, using a standard connector would not be a design consideration.

Is there a reason why Apple gets away with it?

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
http://liliputing.com/2014/10/dell-venue-8-7000-tablet-qhd-screen-3d-camera-sell-499.html

Don't know if this was already posted but the other interesting android tablet that is coming out is rumored to be 500 bucks. The intel tablet with qhd screen and 3d camera. So disappointed. I have a hard time justifying this price especially if nexus 9 is only 400. Especially because I feel the nexus 9 is already over priced for a 16 gig.

Oh well at least with dell we know that there will be a fire sale soon. They always try to price themselves as a premium brand and when no one believes that dell is worth a premium, they'll be forced to slash prices.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Axolotl posted:

Is there a reason why Apple gets away with it?

In Europe they're supposed to include a microusb-to-30 pin or microusb-to-lightning adapter in the box.

Theoretically every other company could make their own proprietary ports and do that, but that's pointless extra engineering to be frank.

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

... and he is my navigator.
Apologies in advance if this is the wrong thread for this, but I saw a few similar troubleshooting posts earlier and thought what the hell, I'll ask anyway. I got my Nexus 7 in 2012 and lately I've noticed that it's running slow. It takes way longer to boot up, and has issues getting sites and video apps to load even when I've got 3-4 bars of wifi. Youtube, Blip and Netflix struggle to load anything without chugging. Any idea what could cause this? I'm sure tablets can get viruses and malware just like computers can, but I'm awful at vetting apps that promise to "clean up" my tablet. Any suggestions on how to get it working better? It's an awesome little tablet and I love being able to pop a documentary on while I'm laying in bed!

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

SamLikesCake posted:

I got my Nexus 7 in 2012 and lately I've noticed that it's running slow.

It's probably the nand degrading and slowing down, a known problem with this model (Asus were cheap). Updates around android 4.3 did something to mitigate this with TRIM support, but sometimes a full wipe and reflash of the ROM will help too. Also see http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/three-steps-to-restore-your-sluggish-androids-performance/

Nintendo Kid posted:

In Europe they're supposed to include a microusb-to-30 pin or microusb-to-lightning adapter in the box.

They definitely don't supply an adapter in the UK, do they anywhere? I smell a class action.

lostleaf posted:

http://liliputing.com/2014/10/dell-venue-8-7000-tablet-qhd-screen-3d-camera-sell-499.html

Don't know if this was already posted but the other interesting android tablet that is coming out is rumored to be 500 bucks. The intel tablet with qhd screen and 3d camera. So disappointed. I have a hard time justifying this price especially if nexus 9 is only 400. Especially because I feel the nexus 9 is already over priced for a 16 gig.
They need to make it larger, say 11-12 inches to make it worth that premium and take advantage of the resolution. Maybe a keyboard / laptop mount too.

I hope that cost isn't caused by the fancy camera, because I don't give a crap about the camera on a tablet. I've never used mine once.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nintendo Kid posted:

Theoretically every other company could make their own proprietary ports and do that, but that's pointless extra engineering to be frank.
They don't have to include it, they just have to make such an adapter "available" (i.e. sell it to you for an extortionate price). As far as I know Apple do not include such an adapter with their products but they will happily sell you one. The EU have confirmed that Apple are conforming with the rules.

Also this isn't EU law, it was set up as a voluntary agreement between the manufacturers and the EU. Suggestions have been made to implement it as law though.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Oct 27, 2014

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Tunga posted:

They don't have to include it, they just have to make such an adapter "available" (i.e. sell it to you for an extortionate price). As far as I know Apple do not include such an adapter with their products but they will happily sell you one. The EU have confirmed that Apple are conforming with the rules.

Also this isn't EU law, it was set up as a voluntary agreement between the manufacturers and the EU. Suggestions have been made to implement it as law though.

Just checked the price of that adapter do gle: £15 from apple! Now in favour of making it law.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Tunga posted:

As long as the stuff does get updated every few years I'm all for it. But I don't want to be stuck with Micro-USB 2.0 in 2020. Already they should start talks about upgrading to USB-C I'd say, so they can smoothly transition in 2015/2016.

And yeah, Apple lobbied enough to make their solution of "buy an adapter on our web site/shop" conform with the agreement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Old-tablet-scrap-chat: so what with tablets breaking down and me upgrading and so forth, I've now got three old tablets:

- Some old Acer I think, that I flashed and modded back in the day. Battery long since died.
- Asus Transformer 100 & keyboard - dead, probably due to battery or connecter issues
- Asus Transformer & keyboard - think the keyboard has gone due to battery issues but the main unit is alive. However, the power button is very dodgy and keeps switching the thing off.
- Lots of cables for the above.

The question: rather than throw these away, is there anyone who might want or take them? I figure someone with a few skills might be able to fix the power button while a bit more work might sort out the battery. Or is this a problem for the dump?