Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Decius posted:

As long as the stuff does get updated every few years I'm all for it. But I don't want to be stuck with Micro-USB 2.0 in 2020. Already they should start talks about upgrading to USB-C I'd say, so they can smoothly transition in 2015/2016.

And yeah, Apple lobbied enough to make their solution of "buy an adapter on our web site/shop" conform with the agreement.

They've already started approving the new USB design for future devices (and the current micro-usb 3.0 designs were affirmed as meeting the microusb 2.0 requirements).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
My mom has an ASUS Transformer running Android 4.2.1. She keeps having this thing happen where she's doing something else, and the tablet goes into a loop where it keeps opening and closing Google speak-to-search. I've disabled this feature (she doesn't use voice search anyway), but I was wondering if this was a problem anyone else had had, and if there was any advice about it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

lostleaf posted:

You're giving too much credit to the companies. Look at apple and their new mac mini. No change in form factor. But they decided to make the ram soldered rendering it impossible to upgrade. Also changed the hard drive slot to make it harder to upgrade hard drives too.

Apple customers are like a different species. They'll buy anything with the logo slapped on.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Do you really not remember like 10 years ago?

I sure remember 10 and even 20 years ago. Thanks for the constructive reply fishmech.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Guillermus posted:

Apple customers are like a different species. They'll buy anything with the logo slapped on.

Untrue. There are plenty of Apple products that have failed or consumers have been lukewarm towards: the Newton, the Pippin, the eMate, AppleTV, the hockey-puck mice, theiPod Hifi, Quicktake cameras, the G4 "cube" Macs, MobileMe ...

The truth is that Macs suit a lot of people. Tech conferences are full of Mac users - they're not all buying them because of the logo. In addition, once you "buy in" to an ecosystem - be it Apple, Google or MS - there's a real advantage to stay with it, even if things aren't perfect. No one's going to have a hissyfit and abandon all their Apple products because of an adaptor.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

outlier posted:

No one's going to have a hissyfit and abandon all their Apple products because of an adaptor.
Especially when the adaptor is as awesome as the Lightning and the MagSafe2. Now the 30-pin connector really sucked but it wasn't hissyfit level.

Also I think what lostleaf is failing to appreciate when talking about the Mac Mini is that no one buying a Mac Mini gives a poo poo about any of that. You buy an Apple computer because you want a computer that works out of the box, not one you need to update. The average sale price of a Mac is $1300 because Apple buyers aren't trying to min-max their computer by piecing it together with components they're trying to get a deal on. They just want a quality experience that they never have to open. To cite component access when talking about an Apple is to miss the entire point which is "If you care about it, your time is worthless."

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

LastInLine posted:

Especially when the adaptor is as awesome as the Lightning and the MagSafe2. Now the 30-pin connector really sucked but it wasn't hissyfit level.

Also I think what lostleaf is failing to appreciate when talking about the Mac Mini is that no one buying a Mac Mini gives a poo poo about any of that. You buy an Apple computer because you want a computer that works out of the box, not one you need to update. The average sale price of a Mac is $1300 because Apple buyers aren't trying to min-max their computer by piecing it together with components they're trying to get a deal on. They just want a quality experience that they never have to open. To cite component access when talking about an Apple is to miss the entire point which is "If you care about it, your time is worthless."

There is no significant benefit to the lightning adapter compared to microUSB - it can go in both ways, but it's still a fiddly, breakable connector. Weighed against the fact that ALL other phones and tablets use microUSB it's crazy inconvenient. If the connector was magnetic that'd actually be useful, but it's not. Qi charging makes it look pathetic.

Users of the Mac mini will give a poo poo if they buy the base model and realise it has poo poo performance (not enough ram, slow HDD), and then realise there's no way to fix it. Apple's entire 'just works' schtick fails when they start selling things that give a guaranteed bad user experience, and can't be fixed by the user. See also, 16GB iOS devices & A5 cpu iOS devices.

Apple used to do this in the early 2000s with Macs: the base ram was laughably low, and they charged a 400% markup on ram upgrades.
Difference was that users could at least fix it themselves.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Has anyone heard news of new updates or reviews of the n6 or n9 prior to release? Heck even a new rundown of Android 5.0 would be nice in advance.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ChiTownEddie posted:

Has anyone heard news of new updates or reviews of the n6 or n9 prior to release? Heck even a new rundown of Android 5.0 would be nice in advance.
It seems as though the press have not been sent any devices, so you won't find any reviews yet. Or possibly there is an embargo. Nobody really knows.

Android Police have covered a bunch of new Lollipop features in various articles:
http://www.androidpolice.com/topics/android-os/l/
(Look for the ones tagged "[Lollipop Feature Spotlight]")

Edit: Also this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEDQ1z1-PvU

Edit edit: This is from yesterday:
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/10/unwrapping-lollipop-ars-talks-to-android-execs-about-the-upcoming-os/

Tunga fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 28, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There certainly seems to be some sort of embargo running. Most of the various hands on we were treated to mentioned that there were specific apps and things that google wasn't letting people take a look at. So, either stuff was still really not done or Google is intending to unveil a few unannounced features.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Guillermus posted:

Theres some truth to this. A good example is the iphone 6, I can't count how many people had told me my phone was too big and they'd never want one that size and now they do. I have an S4 which is near identical to the iphone 6. I heard the same criticism of google pay ("I can just use my CC, its just as fast, its a stupid feature").

I have a Macbook Pro and besides the fact its running linux without any issues the OS is a piece of poo poo. There so many things wrong with it. If I didn't do everything in Chrome, the terminal, and sublime text, I don't think I could use this piece of poo poo OS. I'd much rather run Ubuntu but finding a slim/good specced laptop that can run Ubuntu without issues is basically impossible.

People are gonna buy mac products cause its associated with ease of use and style. Thats why my GF has a Macbook Pro to browse the internet and a ton of other people do to. They don't care about the price. In the end 90% of these people are just using MBP and Minis to open Chrome.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

bull3964 posted:

There certainly seems to be some sort of embargo running. Most of the various hands on we were treated to mentioned that there were specific apps and things that google wasn't letting people take a look at. So, either stuff was still really not done or Google is intending to unveil a few unannounced features.

I'm quite sure everyone who got a hands-on at Google's HQ were also given review models, but they're under embargo till probably next Monday 3rd.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

You guys sure are talking about Apple products a lot in an Android tablet thread.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

ChiTownEddie posted:

12 of the best new features in Android 5.0 Lollipop

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

LastInLine posted:

You missed my point entirely.

Guillermus posted:

As much as companies would try to earn with propietary chargers, wouldn't be more expensive to research/design them instead of just using a standard? In my opinion is a win-win scenario for both the consumers and them.

My entire point was that companies will actually go out of their way to screw people to increase their profit margins even though it will be more expensive in the short term. For example, use different type of chargers instead of a microusb standard(which was what I originally replied to) until they were forced to by the EU.

Or in the case of Apple, despite providing no benefit and at significant cost to Apple to redesign their boards to severely limit DIY fix/upgrade in their newest mac mini.

Yes I'm well aware that people buy Apple for quality. And yes, companies are allowed to protect their profit margins, the whole point of a company is to make money. Hell that's why I own a decent amount of AAPL despite not using any Apple products myself.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

You guys sure are talking about Apple products a lot in an Android tablet thread.

Seems pretty natural, since someone asked why Android OEMs don't each use their own proprietary connector, and there is one conspicuous phone/tablet maker that does so. Apple products get mentioned when people ask or complain about the Nexus 9 display being 4:3, too. Do you really think that is weird?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

Do you really think that is weird?
When it turns into people complaining about the Mac Mini, or outright dismissing Apple's success as merely due to style and misplaced faith in "ease of use" then yeah it's a bit off-topic.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

When it turns into people complaining about the Mac Mini, or outright dismissing Apple's success as merely due to style and misplaced faith in "ease of use" then yeah it's a bit off-topic.

Haha, I can agree with that :)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, Nexus 9. Notification LED?

I don't see it called out anywhere, but I did see one person mention that a review mentioned one (I can't find that review.)

I noticed that there appears to be ...something on the same side as the headphone jack just below it in the bezel.

I can't decide if it's a plastic gap for some part of antennas or construction, but at least one person has identified that as a notification LED. It would sort of make sense because it would be visible when the cover is in place.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

I never said that was the reason for their success. I think their laptop/computer line up is just brilliantly marketed to people who open only two apps, Chrome and MS Office. Maybe my experiences are different but I've met so many people in that demographic. I think they also make the best laptops on the market but the OS is 100% pure poo poo.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

bull3964 posted:

So, Nexus 9. Notification LED?

I saw somewhere its on the top of the tablet.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

5436 posted:

I never said that was the reason for their success. I think their laptop/computer line up is just brilliantly marketed to people who open only two apps, Chrome and MS Office. Maybe my experiences are different but I've met so many people in that demographic. I think they also make the best laptops on the market but the OS is 100% pure poo poo.
This is a cool wrong opinion.

Android Tablet Thread: 24/7 Apple product chat

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

5436 posted:

the OS is 100% pure poo poo.
I disagree but since that's not relevant to this thread I won't go into it.

Talk about Android tablets or get out.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

So what are the chances that the N7 2013 will go on sale for Black Friday (USA)?

Although, I like the N9, I don't like the price increase. I tend to wait for reviews/reactions for new tech products because money.

I'll be using my tablet as a glorified glow in the dark e-reader.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ChiTownEddie posted:

wooger posted:

I'm quite sure everyone who got a hands-on at Google's HQ were also given review models, but they're under embargo till probably next Monday 3rd.

To update on this discussion from earlier, Android Police just posted that their N9 review unit is "incoming":

https://plus.google.com/u/0/113781386215450614303/posts/2e3YHtqcG2A

Tunga fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 29, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Alder posted:

So what are the chances that the N7 2013 will go on sale for Black Friday (USA)?

Although, I like the N9, I don't like the price increase. I tend to wait for reviews/reactions for new tech products because money.

I'll be using my tablet as a glorified glow in the dark e-reader.
Given that the N7 is being sold for next to nothing refurb on eBay I'd say you have your answer about a discount. Just buy one there if that's what you want, for $130 I don't see how you can lose.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

LastInLine posted:

Given that the N7 is being sold for next to nothing refurb on eBay I'd say you have your answer about a discount. Just buy one there if that's what you want, for $130 I don't see how you can lose.

I've bought pre-owned tech before but never refurb is there a good returns policy?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Alder posted:

I've bought pre-owned tech before but never refurb is there a good returns policy?

ASUS refurbished units get a 90 day warranty. It was enough for them to fix the one I bought but no guarantee if you have problems beyond the immediately noticeable ones.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

A new post in the Android Blog about an update to Play Books actually gives the first evidence of the notificatino LED on the N9 if that picture is to be believed.

http://officialandroid.blogspot.com/2014/10/browse-skim-study-your-favorite_30.html

Looks like it will be centered on the bottom.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Google Nexus 7 2013 is suppose to update to 5.0 today.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Nexus 9 is available for store pickup today at best buy.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Don Lapre posted:

I wonder if they have the HTC Magic Cover thing too. Can't find it on their website.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

My amazon order, that I placed immediately after someone posted here that it was on the site, still has no indication of ship date. I guess I'll be doing store pickup at best buy and eating the tax.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

beerinator posted:

My amazon order, that I placed immediately after someone posted here that it was on the site, still has no indication of ship date. I guess I'll be doing store pickup at best buy and eating the tax.

Stop by the post office and grab a movers guide. It has a BB 10% off coupon.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Don Lapre posted:

Stop by the post office and grab a movers guide. It has a BB 10% off coupon.

Yeah, as well as a few other nice coupons. I keep one around all the time.

Ugh. I canceled my BB order for shipping and placed an instore order since the BB right near by had them instock. I called the store to ask about the cover, and the guy said they don't even have the tablet, it's a glitch and a bunch of Best Buys have it showing in stock but it's not actually available.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Yeah, as well as a few other nice coupons. I keep one around all the time.

Ugh. I canceled my BB order for shipping and placed an instore order since the BB right near by had them instock. I called the store to ask about the cover, and the guy said they don't even have the tablet, it's a glitch and a bunch of Best Buys have it showing in stock but it's not actually available.

People on reddit have already bought them in store.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Think its possible to go to bestbuy and get it and return it with the one I get from Newegg?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Don Lapre posted:

People on reddit have already bought them in store.

Yeah, I just got an email saying it's ready for pickup. Anyone on reddit get the Magic Cover?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

5436 posted:

Think its possible to go to bestbuy and get it and return it with the one I get from Newegg?

Return the Newegg one because best buy will have a restocking fee.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Weird, they have it in black but none in white at any BB in NYC. Is that just a glitch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

None in my area have any, so I'll be sticking with my Amazon order.

They didn't ship yet, but it still says estimated arrival date of Weds.