Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images factory image is up for wifi at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yup, just saw that as well.

N9 and I are going to start with a clean slate tonight. I'm going to do a factory reset, wipe all the partitions, and lay down 5.1.1 from the factory images. Starting over from scratch.

I'll pretend that the N9 was just released and 5.1.1 is the first shipping version of Lollipop.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

None of that will change the horrible SoC in that thing.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Hey, we can dream! :smith:

Successfully fastboot installed 5.1.1 over 5.0.2 wiping only cache. Everything is working so far, but of course time will tell if the issues are addressed

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Endless Mike posted:

None of that will change the horrible SoC in that thing.
Denver's DCO can be updated, so parts of the SoC can be changed.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8701/the-google-nexus-9-review/4

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for. I hope Nvidia did further optimizations on the DCO on top of kernel enhancements that will improve the experience.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Heh. I think this update bricked my stock n9.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ChiTownEddie posted:

I'm guessing you haven't unlocked the bootloader?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

LastInLine posted:

I'm guessing you haven't unlocked the bootloader?

Yeah. Got it ota last night and it's just sitting at "google".

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

ChiTownEddie posted:

No idea if this will help, but you're not alone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ChiTownEddie posted:

Yeah. Got it ota last night and it's just sitting at "google".

I ask because unless you unlocked the bootloader prior to being unable to get into Android, then there's no way you can fix it. If you had, it would seem to be as simple as flashing the factory image but now you'll have no option but to get a replacement.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If it's any consolation, 5.1.1 has actually been really drat good on the N9 so far. I still get the occasional home redraw coming out of chrome, but I haven't had any other stuttery performance yet.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
so far I haven't had to force 5GHz to connect to my wifi on 5.1.1 N9, so I'm happy

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

ChiTownEddie posted:

It hasn't bricked mine however virtually all google apps crash on launch. Just google apps. Hell, sometimes they just report crashing without me even launching them. :(

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

With all the issues this tablet has had from day one, I wouldn't dirty flash or even take the OTA at this point.

Factory reset, get into fastboot, erase all the partitions and flash all the images to start from scratch.

That's what I did and it's been working wonderfully over the past few days. No crashes, no glaring performance hiccups, it's even producing less heat.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

bull3964 posted:

With all the issues this tablet has had from day one, I wouldn't dirty flash or even take the OTA at this point.

Factory reset, get into fastboot, erase all the partitions and flash all the images to start from scratch.

That's what I did and it's been working wonderfully over the past few days. No crashes, no glaring performance hiccups, it's even producing less heat.

That's my plan now, thanks!

[edit]That exactly fixed my issue. I feel like I got a new tablet, everything is at least twice as responsive.

fondue fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 14, 2015

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
So my 3 year old accidentally dropped my N7 2013 while watching Peppa Pig today and now there's a hairline crack running from the middle of one side to the corner. Is there a point in calling ASUS? Are there any good self-repair kits around?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
We found this original Kindle Fire in my girlfriend's car that hadn't been used in like 2 years. We successfully got it to change after a day, and factory reset it because we didn't know the password, but now once it boots it works for like 30 seconds before the screen darkens and a message saying "Shutting down" comes up, where it then reboots and does the same thing.

Anyone know how to get it to stop that?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Nintendo Kid posted:

We found this original Kindle Fire in my girlfriend's car that hadn't been used in like 2 years. We successfully got it to change after a day, and factory reset it because we didn't know the password, but now once it boots it works for like 30 seconds before the screen darkens and a message saying "Shutting down" comes up, where it then reboots and does the same thing.

Anyone know how to get it to stop that?

After 1-2 hot summers in a car with no charge, I'd wager that the battery is completely shot. You could try prying it apart and hooking up an aftermarket one, but it'd hardly be worth it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

5.1 update finishing installing on my Shield Tablet. Here's hoping it's not terrible.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
5.1.1 on the Nexus 9 has definitely breathed more life into the device. Two weeks ago, I was considering my next tablet purchase and for the last week since the update, all seems just fine. Not perfect, but certainly workable.

Still pretty crazy that my Nexus 5 is so much more solid than an 8 month old tablet.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

5.1 update finishing installing on my Shield Tablet. Here's hoping it's not terrible.

Mine did too this weekend. I haven't even noticed a difference. Mind you I wasn't experiencing any specific issues on 5.0.1 (or was it 5.0.2...I dont' even remember what I upgraded from...lol)

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Boywunda posted:

Mine did too this weekend. I haven't even noticed a difference. Mind you I wasn't experiencing any specific issues on 5.0.1 (or was it 5.0.2...I dont' even remember what I upgraded from...lol)

Overnight idle is better for starters. No real performance difference so far, but it wasn't exactly slow to begin with.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Are there any 10" tablets for under $100 which are worthwhile? I want a big screen but I also would like more than 1GB of internal memory, and the ability to play most games that are NOT things like HL2 where it requires an NVIDIA Shield.

Maybe as well the ability to root it, couple nice apps I like require rooting.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Are there any 10" tablets for under $100 which are worthwhile? I want a big screen but I also would like more than 1GB of internal memory, and the ability to play most games that are NOT things like HL2 where it requires an NVIDIA Shield.

No.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Are there any 10" tablets for under $100 which are worthwhile?
No

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

No

You *might* be able to get a Nexus 10 on ebay for $100-150 but it's basically too old.

e: Do tablets even exist with 1gb of memory?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Daimo posted:

No

You *might* be able to get a Nexus 10 on ebay for $100-150 but it's basically too old.

If you mean RAM then they have for quite some time, as have phones, some of both are up to 3 GB or more. If you mean storage there were plenty of older ones that had a gigabyte or less of usable onboard storage.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Daimo posted:

No

Nexus 10 for <$150 is still a great buy. It has held up well actually, great screen, great battery, not too much jitteriness (in my experience), though it is slower than newer tablets of course. It's better than any other 10" tablet you'll get for under $200 IMO. If you can't find one that cheap, any more than $200 or so and you're getting into territory for a refurbished or used iPad Mini 2 or Air, which is a better option at that price.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
There's a decent amount of people who were able to OTA 5.0.2 on a completely stock N9 but aren't able to OTA/fastboot 5.1.1 as the OTA fails to validate the system partition.
I'm one of them :(

I'm never buying another NVidia chipset ever again

BRBPR
Jul 20, 2001

Glass of Milk posted:

So my 3 year old accidentally dropped my N7 2013 while watching Peppa Pig today and now there's a hairline crack running from the middle of one side to the corner. Is there a point in calling ASUS? Are there any good self-repair kits around?

I just replaced my screen using this video and ordered the parts from the links in the description. It was easy as hell, just go easy with the heat gun. I got some warping on the frame before I realized I was overdoing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAlNuGrGDuU

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

If you mean RAM then they have for quite some time, as have phones, some of both are up to 3 GB or more. If you mean storage there were plenty of older ones that had a gigabyte or less of usable onboard storage.

I mean memory.

Bit of a side question but when did marketing start labelling ram as memory and confusing the hell out of consumers?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

RAM and memory are the same thing. Perhaps you are looking for the term 'storage.'

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Daimo posted:

Bit of a side question but when did marketing start labelling ram as memory and confusing the hell out of consumers?

In 1947.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Daimo posted:

I mean memory.

RAM has always been the same thing as memory.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Daimo posted:

I mean memory.

RAM is literally random access memory. Storage that persists when turned off hasn't been correctly referred to as memory since like 1960s mainframes..

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So if not for under 100 (there are some off brands for about 50 but they have 4gb of internal storage which is just right out) then what kind of price point am I looking at?

Something like 10", 16-32gb internal memory storage, maybe 2-3gb of ram, not required but perhaps the chance of it being rooted or installing custom roms?

I'd probably be okay with dropping down to 7" but I have a Note 3 so I feel like going to a 7" tablet wouldn't be that much of an upgrade (though going to a 10" would allow me to be okay with going for a cheaper cellphone).

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Daimo posted:

I mean memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdREEcfaihg

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So if not for under 100 (there are some off brands for about 50 but they have 4gb of internal storage which is just right out) then what kind of price point am I looking at?

Something like 10", 16-32gb internal memory storage, maybe 2-3gb of ram, not required but perhaps the chance of it being rooted or installing custom roms?

I'd probably be okay with dropping down to 7" but I have a Note 3 so I feel like going to a 7" tablet wouldn't be that much of an upgrade (though going to a 10" would allow me to be okay with going for a cheaper cellphone).

What do you want to do is a more important question then telling us specs. If you want to watch SD Youtube there's tons of devices if you want to play Hearthstone there are a lot less. Why do you feel like 2-3gb of RAM matters at all for a tablet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Stick100 posted:

What do you want to do is a more important question then telling us specs. If you want to watch SD Youtube there's tons of devices if you want to play Hearthstone there are a lot less. Why do you feel like 2-3gb of RAM matters at all for a tablet?

Because having less than that causes lots of problems with apps falling out of memory while playing games. So you get long delays switching apps or going to the home screen and then switch back to your game and it's gotten kicked out of memory too.