Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Daimo posted:

Nokia N1 GPE early impressions: it's seriously slick. This is your 4:3 Nexus 8 from last year.

What

How did you get one? I thought they were China-only?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

bull3964 posted:

Unfortunately, chrome isn't much more responsive on their flagship Nexus 9.

Let's be real here, the N7 2013 is clearly their flagship device. Where Chrome works just fine thankfully. Though of course since I have a Nexus 6 I'd really prefer a good 9-10" Nexus Tablet with comparable/better battery life and build quality, but I doubt that's going to happen =-(

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

DemonMage posted:

Let's be real here, the N7 2013 is clearly their flagship device. Where Chrome works just fine thankfully. Though of course since I have a Nexus 6 I'd really prefer a good 9-10" Nexus Tablet with comparable/better battery life and build quality, but I doubt that's going to happen =-(

Yeah, I'm so glad I ended up getting the 2013 N7, it's like a million times better than the 2012, and it certainly seems smoother than the N9 based on the 30 minutes I've messed with one of those.

It's funny that the best (AFAICT) Android tablet is from 2 years ago.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

It's funny that the best (AFAICT) Android tablet is from 2 years ago.
The Shield Tablet still seems like a solid choice to me. We'll have to see how much long term support it gets, but so far it looks alright.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The Shield Tablet still seems like a solid choice to me. We'll have to see how much long term support it gets, but so far it looks alright.

Yeah, it's good but it costs over twice what the N7 2013 costs. By "best" I guess I meant "best value".

But then again, everyone needs something different. So, I guess I'll amend my previous post to "one of the best".

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I'm pretty sure I want the Samsung Tab S 10.5. I've seen it for about £275 (£300 with 4G, both 16GB version), is the price likely to drop though with the S2 coming? I don't know the precedent for this kind of thing. I'm in no rush, but my laptop is on its way out, so I'm starting to seriously think about it.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

What

How did you get one? I thought they were China-only?

Got it imported from Taiwan (that's the Google play edition) from a company called takuda on eBay. Paid as much as a shield for it, but at least customs didn't get me on tax as well.

Pros
It's an iPad mini running Android with better styling imo
No bloatware
No slowdown, although it does get warmer than I've experienced (Intel I guess)

Cons
No front facing speakers which is really standard nowadays
No GPS, but I have old tablets for the car.

Meh
Cameras are generic
USB type C
3 OTA updates right off the bat - not sure how that will work out long term but its still on 5.0.2.
The OkCupid app won't work

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

bull3964 posted:

Unfortunately, chrome isn't much more responsive on their flagship Nexus 9.

OTOH, my son's 2013 N7 is great with everything. I might bite the bullet and get one for myself.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Daimo posted:

Got it imported from Taiwan (that's the Google play edition)

When you say Google Play Edition you mean it just has access to Google services, right (Play Store)? As in it still has Nokia's custom ROM with their Z launcher, not a clean Google Play Edition ROM direct from Google, right?

I have a 64gig Teclast Air 3g dual boot (Android and Windows) and its surprisingly nice. $209 and has the same screen and form factor as the iPad Air.

Chinese everything though. Took me several days to convert the OSs to Engrish.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 21, 2015

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

But I like 4:3 tablets....I've never met anyone that likes 16:9 tablets outside of this thread. Go figure.

I think 4:3 is best for 10 inch tablets but 16:9 is a much better for factor for 8 inch ones for text that reflows and media.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

hotsauce posted:

When you say Google Play Edition you mean it just has access to Google services, right (Play Store)? As in it still has Nokia's custom ROM with their Z launcher, not a clean Google Play Edition ROM direct from Google, right?

You're right, right.

That said the first thing I did was turn off z launcher and forget it was there so oops.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
My 2013 Nexus 7's charging port is getting squirrely on me. If I line things up juuuuuust right it charges and functions normally; otherwise, Battery Monitor Widget is showing the intensely irritating status of "Discharging - AC Plugged." I'm using Anker USB chargers, cords and battery packs and the connection does have that good "snap" into place, but even a good cord is a bit wiggly. I've tried a handful of cords and power sources, so it does appear that it's something in the device connector.

What's the usual fix / source of fix for this? I've read that it's a common problem, and I've seen everything from "remove the cover and tighten the battery connector" to "remove the cover and replace the charging port" to "remove the cover and pinch the case around the charging port gently with flathead pliers."

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Three Olives posted:

I think 4:3 is best for 10 inch tablets but 16:9 is a much better for factor for 8 inch ones for text that reflows and media.

16:10 <> 16:9

While I'm sure there has been the occasional no-name Android tablet in 16:9 everything reputable was 16:10

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

delfin posted:

My 2013 Nexus 7's charging port is getting squirrely on me. If I line things up juuuuuust right it charges and functions normally; otherwise, Battery Monitor Widget is showing the intensely irritating status of "Discharging - AC Plugged." I'm using Anker USB chargers, cords and battery packs and the connection does have that good "snap" into place, but even a good cord is a bit wiggly. I've tried a handful of cords and power sources, so it does appear that it's something in the device connector.

What's the usual fix / source of fix for this? I've read that it's a common problem, and I've seen everything from "remove the cover and tighten the battery connector" to "remove the cover and replace the charging port" to "remove the cover and pinch the case around the charging port gently with flathead pliers."

Have you considered Qi charging? My micro USB port's been fine but just to stave off future issues I got a Qi charging pad. It doesn't charge as fast as plugging it in but it's on the charger a lot. If you could live with that I'd switch over to using one permanently. If not you will probably have to look at replacing the port. Here's a video of a guy changing one out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2AdPTnETtE

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FYI all you people who bought Shield Tablets.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/07/31/nvidia-issues-recall-for-shield-tablet-units-purchased-between-july-2014-and-july-2015/

Recall issued due to fire hazard.

Something something not getting burned by Nvidia again something.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

bull3964 posted:

FYI all you people who bought Shield Tablets.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/07/31/nvidia-issues-recall-for-shield-tablet-units-purchased-between-july-2014-and-july-2015/

Recall issued due to fire hazard.

Something something not getting burned by Nvidia again something.

I just installed the 5.1.1 update this morning before work. I'll have to check if mine's affected when I get home. I'm one of few (I guess) that have absolutely loved my Shield Tablet. A bit disappointed that I have to go through this if I am affected, but I'd definitely still recommend one to others, based on my experiences with it.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
My work just bought 4 of those to use as 3D scanners...

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
My tablet is one of the effected devices. Looks like I'll be getting a new tablet!

Also, Kingroot 4.0 works for rooting the new update. You don't have to go through TWRP and all that jazz to root if you use King. However, Kinguser will be your su app. So if you want SuperSu, you'll still have to go through all that TWRP jazz.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

You should be able to install SuperSU when you're rooted and then install it on system from the app itself. At least is what I did to get SuperSU on old CM builds that used their own root app.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Is the Nexus 7 (2013) still the best android tablet to buy? I see it's only $149 on Amazon now.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

teagone posted:

Is the Nexus 7 (2013) still the best android tablet to buy? I see it's only $149 on Amazon now.

If you're okay with the size, yeah. There's some goons who like the newer samsung tabs for form factor, but they come with samsung's crap on top. I'm pretty happy with the nexus 7, though, I only got last year. I don't do a bunch of android gaming on it besides hearthstone so I can't speak to that kind of performance. It's good for teamviewer work to my main PC (the 1920x1200 resolution helps) as well as work on the go with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse as well. It's also good for streaming video. Mine's been extremely stable although it had to be RMA'd originally (I bought a refurb with a 90 day warranty and luckily they actually fixed it when I sent it in; there have been a lot of horror stories about ASUS RMAs).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

teagone posted:

The Shield is good, but it's like twice the price.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thermopyle posted:

It's pretty easy to find on sale for $50 off, Amazon and BB do this frequently.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Thermopyle posted:

I'm looking at sub $200 Android tablets and I'm trying to convince myself that a 2 year old model is better than anything recent in that 7-8" market around that price point.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
I'm holding out to get my hands on the Asus Zenpad S 8.0 with the higher specs. They're doing two with the same name, but one's 2GB RAM and the other's 4GB, with higher storage capacity as well. Rumored for next week or the one after, at $300. The lower spec one is $200. Seemed pretty darn nice when I was messing with it at the store.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

teagone posted:

I'm looking at sub $200 Android tablets and I'm trying to convince myself that a 2 year old model is better than anything recent in that 7-8" market around that price point.

The Nexus 7 is way, way, way better than anything else under $200 as far as I can tell.

Of course, "as far as I can tell" means comparing reviews of other tablets to the one other sub-$200 tablet I've owned.

I'm not sure if the extra cost of the Shield is worth it in the general case, though I am sure it is for specific scenarios.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Did the whole shield tablet replacement thing. Kind of excited to see if the new one will recognize my ATT sim card or if my supposed LTE tablet will still only function on wifi. Also glad to have the threat of my tablet bursting into flames lessened.

edit: I actually really love the shield. It does absolutely everything I need it too from invoicing clients to playing games/movies. The only complaint I have is that it just doesn't recognize my AT&T sim card most of the time which means I don't have LTE coverage. Hopefully the unit they replace this one with will do better, but in the mean time I'll just count on wifi.

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 8, 2015

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Is the Nexus 9 still terrible? Or has it been made less terrible with software updates? I can deal with the light bleed/squishy back, more concerned about general performance and reliability.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

teagone posted:

At that price point? Yeah, there's no question. The 2013 Nexus 7 is a solid little machine.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

IuniusBrutus posted:

Is the Nexus 9 still terrible? Or has it been made less terrible with software updates? I can deal with the light bleed/squishy back, more concerned about general performance and reliability.

I got one a couple weeks ago when HTC had a 40% off sale and I'm pretty happy with it, none of the reported problems so far and feels snappy enough to me. I was coming from an old Barnes and Noble Nook HD+ though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

IuniusBrutus posted:

It's serviceable.

The SoC is still terrible though. My Droid Turbo runs circles around the thing, especially with Chrome.

I just installed the M preview on my N9 this afternoon, so we'll see how that is. I've heard it smooths out performance some more, we'll see.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Bought my Nexus 7 2013 the day it launched and it's still completely solid. I don't do any gaming on phones or tablets so I'm not sure how they perform with today's games, but as a tablet it still does 100% of the things I need it to do everyday. Browsing the web, streaming videos, reading comics, it all performs great. If it broke today, I would probably buy another one. Before I got this tablet, I would switch tablets every 4 to 6 months, but since then it's been two years and I'm still extremely happy.

EDIT: My one complaint really is lack of SD card slot. I have the 16gb model, and took a flight to Taiwan earlier this winter. Couldn't load up as much media onto it as I wanted, so most of it went on my phone. A minor complaint, but man I wish it had a card reader.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

IuniusBrutus posted:

It's definitely less terrible with software updates, IF you factory reset after applying 5.1.1.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

arisu posted:

EDIT: My one complaint really is lack of SD card slot. I have the 16gb model, and took a flight to Taiwan earlier this winter. Couldn't load up as much media onto it as I wanted, so most of it went on my phone. A minor complaint, but man I wish it had a card reader.

A USB stick, an OTG adapter and the Nexus Media Importer app should solve your problem...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDq0MLkE3Pg

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I bought one of those micro SD card to micro USB readers after my trip, and it works ok, but it's still a little inconvenient.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

IuniusBrutus posted:

I use it daily for web browsing and on this forum and reddit and don't notice any lag or performance issues. There were some when it first came out but the updates have appeared to have remedied that.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

G-Prime posted:

I'm holding out to get my hands on the Asus Zenpad S 8.0 with the higher specs. They're doing two with the same name, but one's 2GB RAM and the other's 4GB, with higher storage capacity as well. Rumored for next week or the one after, at $300. The lower spec one is $200. Seemed pretty darn nice when I was messing with it at the store.

Cool, I was wondering when the 4GB RAM models were going to come out.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

For those considering the Nexus 9, the 16GB version is on sale for $290 (27% off) at Expansys:

http://www.expansys-usa.com/google-nexus-9-wi-fi-16gb-indigo-black-268546/

Doesn't show as being in stock, however.

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
I can't seem to find an in-depth review of the ASUS Zenpad S 8.0, what gives? the tablets for sale, it seems interesting but I'd like to know more about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

EAB posted:

I can't seem to find an in-depth review of the ASUS Zenpad S 8.0, what gives? the tablets for sale, it seems interesting but I'd like to know more about it.

I'd guess most reviewers are waiting for the other model to drop and then are going to do a combined review, because they're the same hardware and OS other than the amount of RAM and storage capacity being different.