Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Budgie posted:

A couple Qs:

What country are you in?
What custom rom did you go with?

Just asking because I'm in the UK and haven't received my replacement tablet yet.
I'm in Canada
I submitted my RMA claim on August 1st.
I went with the BlissPop ROM. Seemed highly recommended in the XDA forums. Seems decent so far. I hadn't flashed a CM based ROM in more than a year. Runs pretty smooth, however I am noticing that Chrome tends to drag a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I'm in the US and haven't gotten my shipping notice even. I have the LTE version and submitted mine within hours of the notification email.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Google guy at the Best Buy here is claiming they'll have a new Nexus 7 "sometime". He didn't sound like it'd be this year.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Google guy at the Best Buy here is claiming they'll have a new Nexus 7 "sometime". He didn't sound like it'd be this year.

I'm pretty sure those Best Buy floor Google people (and Samsung) are just hourly workers for a promotional mill marketing company (contract people). They aren't Google/Samsung employees and chances are you know more about that stuff than they do.

Right up there with the uncle who works at Nintendo I guess. So grain of salt and all that.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

hotsauce posted:

I'm pretty sure those Best Buy floor Google people (and Samsung) are just hourly workers for a promotional mill marketing company (contract people). They aren't Google/Samsung employees and chances are you know more about that stuff than they do.

Right up there with the uncle who works at Nintendo I guess. So grain of salt and all that.

The hugest grain you can find, of course, but yeah. :v: I won't lie...I have a tiny, tiny glimmer of hope.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

When a retail employee tells me something it lessens my confidence that it is true. It doesn't make me think "well, this might be true".

I mean, I know there are people working at these places who do know what they're talking about, but I certainly never find them.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

When a retail employee tells me something it lessens my confidence that it is true. It doesn't make me think "well, this might be true".

I mean, I know there are people working at these places who do know what they're talking about, but I certainly never find them.

Honestly, I was more surprised that someone was there with a Google shirt. I talked to him a bit and it kind of seemed like he knew a bit about what he was saying...but then again...Nexus 7 2015 isn't a thing really.

He told me that the Nexus 6 is his work phone and he's required to get any new Nexus devices as he "represents both Google and Best Buy". It's gonna be amusing if he's walking around with two work phones soon.

At least he wasn't super pushy or anything. It was kind of refreshing.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Boywunda posted:

So I did the Shield Tablet recall and my new one was shipped to me today. I unlocked, rooted, flashed custom recovery and custom ROM on my old one. Then turned on the new one and got it running. Both running perfectly. The note in the box indicated that my old one would bet deactivated as soon as I setup my new tablet and I could dispose of it following my local e-waste guidelines. So I don't even need to ship it back. This is pretty awesome.

I received my replacement a couple of weeks ago, and just turned off WiFi and shut down the old shield. I did some research a few days ago and found someone had discovered that if you root and delete the tegra ota folder it won't download the ota that bricks the tablet. It seems that the latest update allows for silent background updates ota. Some people got paranoid about this and disabled it on their new replacement tablets too. I flashed a zip does the disable and the old tablet is still working on the stock ROM.

I also received the return shipping packaging this week. In the box was a strange white coated fire resistant box with warnings all over it.

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

ThermoPhysical posted:

Honestly, I was more surprised that someone was there with a Google shirt. I talked to him a bit and it kind of seemed like he knew a bit about what he was saying...but then again...Nexus 7 2015 isn't a thing really.

I saw a few articles earlier today that mentioned a Nexus 8 tablet is being developed and will be announced "soon". Supposedly right around when Android 6 is coming out.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So I got a Remix Ultratablet from Jide and its a drat fine device. For those unfamiliar with the Remix, it was developed by a group of ex-Google employees, and looks a LOT like a Surface, and it runs a custom iteration of Android that adds a taskbar and a rather nifty implementation of multitasking.

This is my first tablet and my first android device, and let me tell you, I'm loving the hell out of it!

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I'm thinking about putting a customer rom on my Shield before I activate my replacement, but I don't really know where to look for which ones are good or bad. I've found plenty of instructions for rooting and loading them on, but don't really know what to look for as far as roms go. I've always preferred staying as close to stock Android as possible, so could I just download copy of 5.1.1 and flash that on? Are there really useful aspects of a custom rom that I should be aware of?

Also curious if I'll still be able to use LTE, I assume it shouldn't be a problem since people do this kind of thing with phones all the time, but don't know for sure.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Inspector 34 posted:

I'm thinking about putting a customer rom on my Shield before I activate my replacement, but I don't really know where to look for which ones are good or bad. I've found plenty of instructions for rooting and loading them on, but don't really know what to look for as far as roms go. I've always preferred staying as close to stock Android as possible, so could I just download copy of 5.1.1 and flash that on? Are there really useful aspects of a custom rom that I should be aware of?

Also curious if I'll still be able to use LTE, I assume it shouldn't be a problem since people do this kind of thing with phones all the time, but don't know for sure.

What is it about a custom rom you are looking for? Why not just root it and install an adblocker, etc? Especially for the Shield; you might lose access to their Hub, special controller drivers, etc. not sure.

There's barely any reason to put custom roms on phones these days, much less tablets, unless you have a really old one that isn't getting updates, but that isn't really the case with the Shield. It's a version behind at most.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Ixian posted:

What is it about a custom rom you are looking for? Why not just root it and install an adblocker, etc? Especially for the Shield; you might lose access to their Hub, special controller drivers, etc. not sure.

There's barely any reason to put custom roms on phones these days, much less tablets, unless you have a really old one that isn't getting updates, but that isn't really the case with the Shield. It's a version behind at most.

Existing Shield tablets have a battery recall on them (Still waiting for my shipment). They are not always asking for them back, and instead have an eFuse that will deactivate your current tablet once you activate the new one.

I'm debating if I want to go the stock rooted with the efuse removed or full custom CM route when mine arrives and I find out if they want the old one back or not.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

AlexDeGruven posted:

Existing Shield tablets have a battery recall on them (Still waiting for my shipment). They are not always asking for them back, and instead have an eFuse that will deactivate your current tablet once you activate the new one.

Yeah this is pretty much it. Not sure if they're going to ask for it back, but once I activate they new one they'll try to brick my old one. How they do this I'm not really sure, but I'd rather have 2 tablets than 1 if possible.

I don't particularly care whether I have a custom rom or a stock operating system, I just know so little of what's available out there that I thought I'd ask for suggestions. Just remembered there's a thread for rooting devices guess I should have asked there first.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is the battery thing for SHIELD tablets a software problem or something?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
No, it's a physical manufacturing defect with the battery itself. The software update blows the e-fuse and bricks the device so they don't have to risk the liability of unsavory types keeping them and/or selling them off to unsuspecting people only to have them physically explode somewhere down the road.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

G-Prime posted:

No, it's a physical manufacturing defect with the battery itself. The software update blows the e-fuse and bricks the device so they don't have to risk the liability of unsavory types keeping them and/or selling them off to unsuspecting people only to have them physically explode somewhere down the road.

That's what I was wondering because it'd be weird to do a huge recall on something you could just push a quick patch to.

That being said why are people wanting to keep what is essentially a time bomb? Is a software update in a custom ROM actually going to fix it?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

People are dumb and cheap.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

AlexDeGruven posted:

I'm debating if I want to go the stock rooted with the efuse removed or full custom CM route when mine arrives and I find out if they want the old one back or not.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

I'd go with rooted, personally. XDA is probably your best bet for options, just ignore the ones who take Android modding a little....too seriously, they are easy to spot over there.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Stormangel posted:

I received my replacement a couple of weeks ago, and just turned off WiFi and shut down the old shield. I did some research a few days ago and found someone had discovered that if you root and delete the tegra ota folder it won't download the ota that bricks the tablet. It seems that the latest update allows for silent background updates ota. Some people got paranoid about this and disabled it on their new replacement tablets too. I flashed a zip does the disable and the old tablet is still working on the stock ROM.

I also received the return shipping packaging this week. In the box was a strange white coated fire resistant box with warnings all over it.

Can you elaborate on this please? If I root it can't I go in and delete the proper folder/files without flashing anything? Or are there a specific bunch of them that would make automating the process easier?

Can you point me in the direction of where you found your info? I've poked around on xda but haven't heard about anything like this.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Inspector 34 posted:

Can you elaborate on this please? If I root it can't I go in and delete the proper folder/files without flashing anything?

Phoneposting, but this should get you started.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/shield-tablet/general/kill-kill-switch-shield-tablet-xx-t3179489

It's pretty much root, install recovery of choice (I used clockwork), and delete the /system/app/TegraOTA folder via a file browser or by flashing the nomoreota.zip in that XDA post (I used the zip). The XDA thread says use kingroot, but I googled it and did it manually.

If you need more help I'll dig up the links I used tonight.

Stormangel fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 31, 2015

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Thanks, from reading through that thread I may not even need to root the thing or flash custom recovery at all. At least one guy said you could just unlock bootloader, run the zip file through ADB and you're good to go. I'm going to keep reading before I try anything, but will I be able to verify the OTA folder is deleted without root access?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I know there were some positive things said about the Nokia N1 in this thread. Looks like Expansys has them available for $210 shipped for the next couple hours.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Does anyone else have the samsung tab s 8.4? I've been having freezing issues after applying the lollipop update especially after using video apps like Netflix and HBO go. It doesnt happen if i just use the browser or ebook app. I've even tried clearing cache and performing a factory reset.

Is it just my device or have I been Samsung'd?

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I know there were some positive things said about the Nokia N1 in this thread. Looks like Expansys has them available for $210 shipped for the next couple hours.

That was just me I think but I still highly recommend it as an ipod mini running Android.

e: accidental typo

u fink u hard Percy fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 2, 2015

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Inspector 34 posted:

will I be able to verify the OTA folder is deleted without root access?

Sorry about the late reply, but just check with a file viewer and as long as the /system/app/TegraOTA folder is removed you should be golden. I just checked on my replacement stock and un-rooted shield with ES File Explorer and the folder isn't hidden or anything, so if you can't see it it's gone.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
We have a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 to do some testing on at work (yes I know it's old). How likely is it that it can be modded to support Qi? It uses the wider, proprietary, "we did this because Apple", kind of charging port instead of MicroUSB.

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
Asus Zenpad reviews have been kinda disappointing. I don't get why ASUS did why they did, I mean they made the Nexus 7, they should know what you need to make a successful tablet.

And with the NVIDIA Shield still out of stock, still not sure what I want to replace my ailing Nexus 7 with.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EAB posted:

Asus Zenpad reviews have been kinda disappointing. I don't get why ASUS did why they did, I mean they made the Nexus 7, they should know what you need to make a successful tablet.
Let Google do all the heavy lifting and build to a spec with little input?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Endless Mike posted:

Let Google do all the heavy lifting and build to a spec with little input?

I imagine the N7 2013 was different, but the 2012 version was shown as an Asus product at a tradeshow and Google liked it and had them remove the MicroSD slot and sell it as a Nexus.

Android sellers all seem to fall into a couple traps. One is selling way to many different products (Samsung is king, but ASUS is doing there best to catch up) and the other is feeling the need to differentiate themselves with software. Occasionally they do something cool. Windows Phone is locked down hard, but Nokia managed to code some very useful and cool apps and gave them away to users for free if they wanted them (only a few were preinstalled). Motorola has added some simple stuff to improve their phones over "stock" Android. Even Samsung, who has generally been one of the worst in this department, has come up with things like split screen apps which can be useful.

I do wonder how much of it is cultural. Most of these products are, to my knowledge, designed in Asia. Do the reviewers that the executives in China/Taiwan/Japan/Korea actually read complain about the crappy software like reviewers in the english speaking world do?

Asus, unfortunately has caught this bug bad. ZenUI actually has a few features I really like on my ZF2, but only one or two would be remotely useful on a tablet. The "bloat" apps are almost all easily removed, but every complexity makes them harder to update and we don't know if these products will even see Android 5.1.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I imagine the N7 2013 was different, but the 2012 version was shown as an Asus product at a tradeshow and Google liked it and had them remove the MicroSD slot and sell it as a Nexus.

This is accurate and positively enraged me back then. Asus announced that thing, it was gorgeous, exactly the size and specs I wanted, and had the SD card slot. They even had a date for it. And then it got delayed. And cancelled. And suddenly the Nexus 7 was born, and there was no goddamn SD card slot. I bought an Acer Iconia A100 off Craigslist instead, and I'm still kicking myself for wasting the money on that hunk of garbage.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

G-Prime posted:

This is accurate and positively enraged me back then. Asus announced that thing, it was gorgeous, exactly the size and specs I wanted, and had the SD card slot. They even had a date for it. And then it got delayed. And cancelled. And suddenly the Nexus 7 was born, and there was no goddamn SD card slot. I bought an Acer Iconia A100 off Craigslist instead, and I'm still kicking myself for wasting the money on that hunk of garbage.

The nexus 7 didn't last very long until the TEGRA chip and supposedly slow memory in it made it almost unusable. A year into the tablet and it was impossible to play music and use chrome at the same time without hearing the occasional BUZZ and skip of the cpu struggling to play music under load.

So, you didn't miss much.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The nexus 7 didn't last very long until the TEGRA chip and supposedly slow memory in it made it almost unusable. A year into the tablet and it was impossible to play music and use chrome at the same time without hearing the occasional BUZZ and skip of the cpu struggling to play music under load.

So, you didn't miss much.

Still using my 2012 Nexus 7 today.

:iiam:

EDIT: I should add, it isn't a stellar experience, but the loving thing is 3 years old. Just seems to run Lollipop with stutters.

Die Sexmonster! fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 5, 2015

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
The thing is, the A100 and the N7 2012 had the same chip, but the major difference is that the A100 shipped with Honeycomb and got one or maybe two updates into ICS before they dropped support completely. There was also a major SOD problem with the A100 that was hardware based and affected a pretty significant percentage of the population. So while the N7 2012 isn't amazing, it still beat the poo poo out of what I bought and is still supported today, 3 years later.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

This was already brought up like a few weeks ago but the Asus TF201 is garbage now and it's only saving grace is that ASUS let you unlock the boot loader so you could load some non ancient ICS build on it. gently caress Tegra and any Nvidia soc efforts and Asus for anything that's not a motherboard

I'm surprised I sold my 2012 N7 on Swappa. Between the NAND and the USB port that thing feels like it will self destruct any minute

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

WhyteRyce posted:

This was already brought up like a few weeks ago but the Asus TF201 is garbage now

Wasn't it always garbage? That's the one that had issues with wifi and GPS because it was made of metal, so ASUS stopped advertising that it had GPS and offered people free GPS dongles, right?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Wasn't it always garbage? That's the one that had issues with wifi and GPS because it was made of metal, so ASUS stopped advertising that it had GPS and offered people free GPS dongles, right?

That was crippled not garbage

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

My TF201 was running really nice when it came out but time was it's biggest problem. It became slow in less than a year and Asus completely dropped software support. Mine is still "usable" for video playing because some dude made a CM10.2 specially for it and hell, it takes like 3-4 drat minutes to turn on, and has like 3 to 5 seconds lag when selecting a film on MX Player but at least it still works and it's battery is still decent (using the tablet+keyboard) and can hold 6-7 hours of screen time no problem.

Protip for any new android tablet user: never get one with a Nvidia SoC (the shield may be the exception), don't bother with Asus.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I bought TF201 with almost no research because all the reviews seemed good (minus the poor wifi and GPS). But looking back that was probably because it was one of the first non honeycomb/tegra2 tablets and looked amazing in comparison. Man that's a sad thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I wish there was a modern Transformer, I loved the keyboard and touchpad on my original release one, but it just ended up too slow and low res.