Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

I've never owned an android device but poo poo $35 - 10% is cheap enough to not care too much to play with. I heard it's awfully slow though. Can anyone give me a point of reference I'd understand, iPhone 4 type of slow?

It's certainly not an example of what you'd get with Android given that it's an Amazon fork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Boris Galerkin posted:

I've never owned an android device but poo poo $35 - 10% is cheap enough to not care too much to play with. I heard it's awfully slow though. Can anyone give me a point of reference I'd understand, iPhone 4 type of slow?

iPhone 4 had a dual-core processor and 512 MB of RAM

Fire HD 7 has a quad-core processor with 1 GB of RAM

I wonder if Amazon will release new models of this every year since it's selling so well.

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 27, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's about the same speed as a Nexus 7 2012. Which, honestly, for $35 ain't bad.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/10/amazons-50-fire-tablet-review-suprisingly-it-doesnt-suck/

The real reason why the $35 isn't bad is that FireOS is actually pretty decent if you can get past it being an android fork with no google apps. However, I would take a supported full fork as opposed to the unsupported "real" android installs on the majority of the sub $100 tablet space.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
From the YouTube video that was posted above, Cyanogenmod still doesn't have Bluetooth working on it and the camera is glitchy. But since a jillion people are going to have this, I'm guessing it'll get fixed soon and have a lot of support

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Are those cheap Android tablets even worth it for international users? I don't even think there is an Amazon there for the people it would be going to.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

bull3964 posted:

It's about the same speed as a Nexus 7 2012. Which, honestly, for $35 ain't bad.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/10/amazons-50-fire-tablet-review-suprisingly-it-doesnt-suck/

The real reason why the $35 isn't bad is that FireOS is actually pretty decent if you can get past it being an android fork with no google apps. However, I would take a supported full fork as opposed to the unsupported "real" android installs on the majority of the sub $100 tablet space.

You can sideload the play store onto the kindle and the apps run just fine as they would on any other android tablet.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just got my order in today. Ordered 2. Loaded up Google play store on them without a hitch. They actually run at a decent clip, and are not slow at all. Tales of how terribly they perform are highly exaggerated. Chrome loads up quick. Youtube takes a bit to get going, but videos playback and load in just fine. The screen is really mediocre though, with some obvious bleed towards the bottom of the device (issue is present on both tablets I ordered), but honestly I can't complain. I mean, it's a $35 tablet. My dad likely won't care or even notice any of the glaring issues nerds might see in the device.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

teagone posted:

I mean, it's a $35 tablet. My dad likely won't care or even notice any of the glaring issues nerds might see in the device.

Yeah, I'm thinking it'll make a great gift, I wonder how many they've sold already. (Ordered two as well...)

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Daimo posted:

Heads up you can get a Samsung tab s 10.5 16gb for £225 as part of Samsung black Friday sale using code "SAMSUNG10".

Easy Xmas present for mother.

All sold out, probably to eBay assholes.

So annoyed I missed this. I had the screen up, got called away, when I came back it was sold out.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

EugeneJ posted:

iPhone 4 had a dual-core processor and 512 MB of RAM
That's the 4S.

Any word on the Pixel C? It's supposed to be out this year and they don't have a whole lot of that left.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

butt dickus posted:

That's the 4S.

Any word on the Pixel C? It's supposed to be out this year and they don't have a whole lot of that left.

Nothing new yet. They presented it end of September and never talked about it again. It's a device I eagerly await toi, to replace my Nexus 10.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Early impressions of it when it made the rounds weren't exactly glowing.

It's very possible they might be retooling it a bit before it releases.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

bull3964 posted:

Early impressions of it when it made the rounds weren't exactly glowing.

It's very possible they might be retooling it a bit before it releases.

If you mean Ruddock, there was never an Android tablet he didn't slag off. He an awoved iPad user (loves Android phones though), so I'd take his editorials with a grain of salt.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Decius posted:

If you mean Ruddock, there was never an Android tablet he didn't slag off. He an awoved iPad user (loves Android phones though), so I'd take his editorials with a grain of salt.

Nope.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/09/google-pixel-c-hands-on-a-well-built-but-clunky-convertible-android-tablet/

The hardware seems well made, but it's still looking for the answer of a question no one asked. If all you want it a large screen to play media and larger screen browser, just get a Dell Chromebook 13 for less and get a better browser. The i3 model can be had for over $100 less than this tablet + keyboard.

The thing is probably being held back until google actually implements multi-window support in android. If that was functional, it would make a bit more sense since you could actually make use out of the screen real-estate.

What would make the Pixel C worthwhile is a solid multi-window support and full Chrome (which is long overdue on Android.) Until the software is there, the Pixel C is just a pretty box to run Android apps with more white space.

Oh, yeah, and a not Nvidia SoC. Seriously, just say no. Burned 3 times, never ever ever ever...ahem...EVER EVER again.

Look, I've owned:

Xoom
Nexus 7 (2012)
Nexus 7 (2013)
Nexus 10
Nexus 9

While I understand where some people have a niche use of a larger screen tablet for things like PDFs in the like, for the vast majority of people it just doesn't make a ton of sense. The sweet spot for the ecosystem is still the 7-8" 16:9 or 16:10 tablets. It's been 3 years since the first large screen Nexus tablet (N10) and over a year since the first 4:3 Nexus tablet (N9) and even google's own apps have yet to adapt. For example, I'm still waiting for immersive mode on Newsstand which should be a no brainer on the N9, yet it hasn't happened.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Nov 29, 2015

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

bull3964 posted:

...and full Chrome (which is long overdue on Android.)
what do you mean by this? What does Chrome on Android lack that Chrome on (ChromeOS?, Windows, OS X, Linux?) has?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Extensions, for one.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
$200 Nexus 9 vs $200 Shield?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
$35 fire imo. Just got one and it rules.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

They're sold out now

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

EugeneJ posted:

They're sold out now

If your in the Prime Now zones they might still have some.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Calidus posted:

The 9 would at least have more resale value

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

bull3964 posted:

The hardware seems well made, but it's still looking for the answer of a question no one asked. If all you want it a large screen to play media and larger screen browser, just get a Dell Chromebook 13 for less and get a better browser. The i3 model can be had for over $100 less than this tablet + keyboard.

Nope, I want an Android tablet, for using Android Apps. I don't care about keyboard, productivity or all that buzzwordy poo poo (I have a Macbook Pro Retina, a beefy Desktop and a Surface Pro if I need to actually do work). I want a good, fast tablet with a decently sized screen to watch stuff, browse stupid poo poo and read comics (the N9 is a bit too small for me to comfortably read comics. It works, but I always wish stuff was a bit bigger). With good tablet Apps unlike the Surface Pro.
I absolutely don't want something actively cooled with an awkward keyboard that only takes space away like another laptop, because its cheaper. Well made hardware with Marshmallow? Yes, that's exactly the question I want answered. Especially when it is one of the few Android tablets that has more than 32 GB (even if I miss a SD slot - with the 6.0 handling of SD cards they should really start including them). Basically, as I said, I want a Nexus 10 (2015) and the Pixel C looks like the next best thing.

The X1 is already used in two devices for some time and doesn't seem to be a dog like the Tegra 3/4 and without the oddities of the Denver K1.

I'm very happy with the Android tablet experience, I like it a lot more than the iPad and the Surface Pro (few Apps, many of them of low quality and functionality). I just want it in a bigger package than the N9 and a more modern one than the N10 without having the "will I get an Update to the next version?"-issues a Samsung or Sony tablet brings inherently.

Decius fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 30, 2015

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Calidus posted:

I think they are both good (depending how much you personally are bothered by the Nexus 9's jank) but have different audiences. The size difference is enough that they have different levels of portability / practicality for different use cases.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Yeah, I'm really surprised with its performance. A lot better than I expected it to be.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Decius posted:

I just want it in a bigger package than the N9 and a more modern one than the N10 without having the "will I get an Update to the next version?"-issues a Samsung or Sony tablet brings inherently.

Point of note. It's a Pixel product, not a Nexus product so the update situation isn't anywhere near as clear. You likely won't get flashable images and the special snowflake hardware may hold up updates.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

teagone posted:

Yeah, I'm really surprised with its performance. A lot better than I expected it to be.

Seriously, I was prepared for literal dogshit but it's been amazingly capable and coming from an iOS lifestyle, I dare say even easy to use.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Welp. I finally bit the bullet and bought a new Android tablet. Dell has the Venue 8 7840 on sale for $199 today so I finally pulled the trigger. I've been using a Nook HD+ with CyanogenMod on it for the last two years so this should be a nice spec upgrade.

edit: Of course the N9 goes on sale the same day. I think I'll stick with my choice. Better screen (900k more pixels, OLED), 16x9 (personal preference), MicroSD (I got really sick of having a USB OTG flash drive hanging off my 2012 N7), and more reliable SOC win over Nexus updates.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 30, 2015

stevewm
May 10, 2005

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Welp. I finally bit the bullet and bought a new Android tablet. Dell has the Venue 8 7840 on sale for $199 today so I finally pulled the trigger. I've been using a Nook HD+ with CyanogenMod on it for the last two years so this should be a nice spec upgrade.

edit: Of course the N9 goes on sale the same day. I think I'll stick with my choice. Better screen (900k more pixels, OLED), 16x9 (personal preference), MicroSD (I got really sick of having a USB OTG flash drive hanging off my 2012 N7), and more reliable SOC win over Nexus updates.

I love mine... I bought one shortly after it came out. Performance is great and the screen is just beautiful.

It is running stock Android 5.1. The only additions are a "WavesAudio" thing that appears in the notification pulldown when audio is playing, and a "MyDell" app that can't be removed. Dell has also been OK about updates. They released 5 for it as promised, though it took a little while.

Only downsides I have run into thus far are the 5Ghz Wifi signal strength is lower than other devices at the same range from my AP, and its almost too thin to comfortably hold on to without a case of some sort. There are some cheap, decent cases on Amazon for it.

If you want to root it, do that first, as rooting currently wipes it. Make sure its entirely up to date before rooting as well, 5.1 has a different method than 5.0.1.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
My biggest beef with the 7840 is that on reboot it gives you a "HOLY poo poo THIS DEVICE HAS BEEN MODIFIED" screen if you've unlocked the bootloader, and it gives you the option to press the power button to continue booting or press the volume button to wipe the device. I've never hit it to see what happens, but that's scary as hell.

That said, it has the most gorgeous screen I've ever seen on a tablet, battery life's pretty good, and it runs like a champ.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Best Buy still has the Fire HD 7 tablets for $50 if anyone's still looking

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

EugeneJ posted:

Best Buy still has the Fire HD 7 tablets for $50 if anyone's still looking

You sure this is the HD and not the non-HD Fire that was $35 on Amazon last week?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BeastOfExmoor posted:

You sure this is the HD and not the non-HD Fire that was $35 on Amazon last week?

It has "HD" in the name - but yeah the screen isn't really HD

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/amazon-fire-7-tablet-8gb-black/4390200.p?id=1219741360542&skuId=4390200

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 5, 2015

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

That's its regular price, and it is the one that was $35 on BF. None of the more expensive ones have a 1024x600 screen.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

There's no longer an HD 7. There's the Kindle Fire (which is what you linked at its normal selling price). The Kindle Fire HD 6, Fire HD 8, and Fire HD 10 are Amazon's "higher end" tablets that are much better overall in terms of specs and screen quality.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

clockworx posted:

That's its regular price, and it is the one that was $35 on BF. None of the more expensive ones have a 1024x600 screen.

Right. I'm letting the thread know that Best Buy has them since Amazon is sold out.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

EugeneJ posted:

Right. I'm letting the thread know that Best Buy has them since Amazon is sold out.

Misinformation. People might confuse the $50 Best Buy price for the actual Kindle Fire HD 7 (now discontinued), which has a better screen and specs than the current Kindle Fire.

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 6, 2015

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Liking the Venue 8 thus far, but they couldn't have made it more slippery if they tried. It basically feels like a teflon covered pan. Not even going to use it until I have a case. That screen though :love:

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Liking the Venue 8 thus far, but they couldn't have made it more slippery if they tried. It basically feels like a teflon covered pan. Not even going to use it until I have a case. That screen though :love:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NIDY9C6 is the case I got for it. If you find a better one, I'd be very interested in knowing about it. It's not a bad case, but it's far more fragile than I'd like. I've already got one of the corners cracked pretty badly, and it's been less than 2 months.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

G-Prime posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NIDY9C6 is the case I got for it. If you find a better one, I'd be very interested in knowing about it. It's not a bad case, but it's far more fragile than I'd like. I've already got one of the corners cracked pretty badly, and it's been less than 2 months.

I have this one in the mail. I'll let you know what I think. Price jumped $4 last night after I bought it, oddly enough. I would have gone with the FYY one if it hadn't jumped in price the day I was going to buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
Pretty sure that's literally the same one I have just with a different brand stamp. Looks identical, even the placement and the size of the metal for the magnets to attach to. Still, will be curious if it's any sturdier. Maybe they use the same molds, but different plastic.